Diablo® III

Diablo 3 and (vs) World of Warcraft

The rift between gamers on Diablo 3 seems to be the old school fans versus newer fans (a bit like the old Star Wars versus new Star Wars debate). Being an old school Blizzard fan (Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo 1/2), I'm in the crowd that would like to see Diablo 3 massively improved or entirely rebuilt in D2's image. However, I'm curious how this trend fairs amongst what I consider the draw of Blizzard's newer fan base: World of Warcraft.

My questions for people are:

Do you like/play WoW? Do you like D3 (the way it currently is)? Do you think that WoW's heavy influence over D3 was appropriate?
Edited by Slappy#1530 on 1/25/2013 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've played lots of Blizard games as well (Broodwars, WC2, WC3, WoW, SC2), though D3 is my first game of the Diablo Series. I've usually more of a PvP player (ex-Glad in Wow, high Master all brackets in SC2 about half year ago), but actually do enjoy the Diablo PvE gameplay.

What I do feel is strange, however is that it seems like the D3 team avoided so many things that the WoW team has figured out over the years. While I could honestly say I liked WoW vanilla more a few expansions ago, at least the changes they've made do make some logical sense for many players.

I actually feel that the D3 and WoW teams hardly even communicate with each other. I wish they'd communicate more and actually set this game in the right direction, since I feel like the WoW devs have answers to pretty much all of D3's problems.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 05:57 AMPosted by TianZi
What I do feel is strange, however is that it seems like the D3 team avoided so many things that the WoW team has figured out over the years

I agree on this. I think a lot of WoW features aren't best for an arpg, but once you start putting them in, which Blizzard did, you have to put more WoW features in to create engaging gameplay.

WoW's still a good raiding game, and although I don't play it I think it gets unduly insulted when compared to the mess that is D3.
Reply Quote
I am a Blizzard fan since lost vikings and rock and roll racing and honestly WoW is the worst mmorpg out there. Played for free for a while, checked my friends accounts to see endgame and the game is bad.

Also, why do people need to pay for serials when they already have paid for 30days?

Regarding d3, I was scared to preorder when I saw a WoW guy being director of d3 AND I should have listened to my intuition ;/

sc2 is awesome and I'm gonna buy its expos
Edited by Tgod#1757 on 1/26/2013 9:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 07:08 AMPosted by Battledude
What I do feel is strange, however is that it seems like the D3 team avoided so many things that the WoW team has figured out over the years

I agree on this. I think a lot of WoW features aren't best for an arpg, but once you start putting them in, which Blizzard did, you have to put more WoW features in to create engaging gameplay.

WoW's still a good raiding game, and although I don't play it I think it gets unduly insulted when compared to the mess that is D3.

It all comes down to the auction house and ones dependency on it. I understand that some players did purchase gear in Diablo 2, but it wasn't impossible to find decent items on your own. Sure, they may not have been "perfect" versions on them, but it was still possible.

I left diablo 3 because the items mimic wow way too much. They just aren't interesting enough, and the only viable gold sink is the auction house. Take a page from TL2, add a gambler and some cool enchants or gems to sink some money into.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As a player of both it depends on my mood. If it is summer or winter time, and I have a lot of free time (just working not in school), I drop the extra 15$ on WoW and play. It's my more hardcore style game (even though I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore player).

When I am rarely free because of full time work and school, I like to play Diablo. I can hop on and do a few A3 runs, or kill a couple bosses and feel like I accomplished some paragon farming and even maybe get a rare drop.

WoW is definitely a much deeper game, with a lot more time and effort put into character development and content. Diablo is running the same 4 story lines over and over again on different modes hoping for better drops. It's fun, but I can't get as deep into it as I get into WoW simply because I don't feel immersed when I'm running from New Tristram to Heaven time and time again on new toons.

I think D3 would have done better if they stuck closer to the D2 model instead of alot of the WoW clone things they added in.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 11:01 AMPosted by Slappy
Being an old school Blizzard fan (Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo 1/2), I'm in the crowd that would like to see Diablo 3 massively improved or entirely rebuilt in D2's image.

I guess you missed the memo. Many of the people from the team that did D1 and 2 just released a brand new ARPG a week ago. And in many ways it is already better than D3.
Reply Quote
> Do you like/play WoW?

I played WoW and liked it.

> Do you like D3 (the way it currently is)?

No.

> Do you think that WoW's heavy influence over D3 was appropriate?

No, but I don't think that is the main issue. The main issue is how far they deviated from D2.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 11:01 AMPosted by Slappy
Do you like/play WoW? Do you like D3 (the way it currently is)? Do you think that WoW's heavy influence over D3 was appropriate?

1: No. WoW looks extremely boring. I'd rather have a more meaningful / fast paced MMO. I don't play any at the moment.

2: No. I don't play it so obviously I don't really like it. What once was a awesome vision has been forever dashed against the rocks of Blizzard.

3: Can't say. WoW having influence over D3 is very based on opinion, I would say that their are influences though, not sure if they are all good / bad / mix. In the end the team that made D3 had little experience in creating ARPG's and didn't rise to the massive expectations the fans had for the game.
Reply Quote

1. Yes, I do like WoW. I played it heavily from around mid 2006 - early 2010. Since then I've come back on and off to check out updates and patches and generally play around. It has changed a lot, and I mean A LOT, over the years, but I think it's still a fantastic game, especially given its age.

2. Yes, I like D3. It has a lot of room for improvement, but I enjoy this game very much.

3. Now the biter. I don't really understand where this assumed influence is. Where exactly did WoW influence Diablo 3? You play with more people in WoW and for meaningful content you are forced to build social interactions with guilds/clans that often take quite a bit of effort to get in to. In Diablo, you hit a button and hot join multiplayer with people you will probably never speak to again.

In WoW, the gear is set by tables. Bosses drop a set item table. Your item WILL drop, and it WILL have good stats for you EVENTUALLY. Groups tend to set up systems to ensure that players will eventually get their upgrade. If you don't raid, you can do daily quests and eventually get gear upgrades. My point is that you will eventually get an upgrade. You are guaranteed an upgrade in WoW within a measurable time frame. In Diablo 3, you are not.

In WoW, most gear is bound to your character. You cannot sell it on the AH, nor is there an RMAH. You can sell crafting items and such on the AH, but the top end gear is reserved for boss kills/daily grinding, and not for sale. In D3, you can literally sell everything, creating an insane, renegade free market system that has, for all intends and purposes, failed.

Where is this WoW influence? Because the game doesn't have assignable stat points? Because of the graphics? Because of the lack of "grimdark" atmosphere?

I just fail to see the stranglehold WoW has on this game like so many people on these forums.
Reply Quote

1. Yes, I do like WoW. I played it heavily from around mid 2006 - early 2010. Since then I've come back on and off to check out updates and patches and generally play around. It has changed a lot, and I mean A LOT, over the years, but I think it's still a fantastic game, especially given its age.

2. Yes, I like D3. It has a lot of room for improvement, but I enjoy this game very much.

3. Now the biter. I don't really understand where this assumed influence is. Where exactly did WoW influence Diablo 3? You play with more people in WoW and for meaningful content you are forced to build social interactions with guilds/clans that often take quite a bit of effort to get in to. In Diablo, you hit a button and hot join multiplayer with people you will probably never speak to again.

In WoW, the gear is set by tables. Bosses drop a set item table. Your item WILL drop, and it WILL have good stats for you EVENTUALLY. Groups tend to set up systems to ensure that players will eventually get their upgrade. If you don't raid, you can do daily quests and eventually get gear upgrades. My point is that you will eventually get an upgrade. You are guaranteed an upgrade in WoW within a measurable time frame. In Diablo 3, you are not.

In WoW, most gear is bound to your character. You cannot sell it on the AH, nor is there an RMAH. You can sell crafting items and such on the AH, but the top end gear is reserved for boss kills/daily grinding, and not for sale. In D3, you can literally sell everything, creating an insane, renegade free market system that has, for all intends and purposes, failed.

Where is this WoW influence? Because the game doesn't have assignable stat points? Because of the graphics? Because of the lack of "grimdark" atmosphere?

I just fail to see the stranglehold WoW has on this game like so many people on these forums.

WoW is like Call of Duty, people love to hate it. D3 also happens to be made by the same company as WoW, so regardless of logic, people will try and draw similarities to the games.

The only real influence I can see is items are merely stat sticks. No item in WoW is interesting, aside from the fantastic visuals. This is a big problem in D3 because our end-game is collecting these boring pieces of loot.

I do agree though, D3 and WoW are very different in almost every aspect though. Compare POE, Torchlight 2, Titan Quest, etc. to Diablo 3. WoW and D3 are in completely different genres, the only influence WoW had on D3 was a team of developers unfamiliar with the ARPG genre.
Reply Quote
Heisen, yes, the stat stick gear is a MASSIVE issue in this game. It detracts A LOT from it, and that could be argued to be a WoW influence for sure.

I don't think it is a WoW influence as much as it is a "trimming the fat" influence. I feel like devs are making games easier and easier thinking that this will attract people, when all it does is devalue the experience. Items in Diablo 3 are incredibly boring. The only way to spice it up is to play hardcore, that way you can build a little defense on top of "stack DPS stack DPS stack DPS stack DPS sta ZzZZzZZ"

In WoW the stat block items serve their purpose. The game is intended to always keep your power in check relative to the "hardest content" and the game is more about working together as a team, using your collective might and coordination to overcome obstacles instead of any individual's raw power. Diablo 3 is not that game, and that's why the items here suck.

:(
Reply Quote
Wow is a terrible game and the reason why Blizzard changed so much. D3 is ok for a couple of hours every 2 or 3 days.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]