Diablo® III

Help with my WD build? 16k thorns +43 radius

I am trying to build my witch doctor around thorns and pick up radius so I would like to keep skill and passive skills built to reap those benifets. Having the most pets? Spawning pets faster? I dont need to use the pick up radius as much as I want to use thorns. The radius is just as much for farming gold. I do like to use the spirit walk with horrify using the stalker rune for faster farming or a quick get away. Any ideas? The skills are totally off from what I normally use as I have been experimenting with different skills recently.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zaamcore-1538/hero/14958016

I just built this one which I think I will go test out. Any advice?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#RfYVdU!gZT!acbcYa
Edited by Zaamcore#1538 on 1/19/2013 5:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
I give you props for trying. It just blows that thorns only work on melee attacks.

What I would probably do is switch out one of your passives for fetish sycophants. It will provide 4-5 more pets for mobs to hit on.

AC and ZB are such mana intensive skills, since you have very little Mana Regen, even with the help of GI, I'd think you'll still go oom.

I would swap out ZB with ROT.

As far as gear, I would get a really high Average damage weapon w/ 250+ INT. The Life Steal on your weapon is useless for you, because you have such low DPS. If you have survivability issues, you can get some LOH, in your case around 1k LOH should do.

^ But as a pet build, I believe it is better to stack Life Regen (since you have fierce loyalty) but that would mean you have to revamp your gear.

Good luck with your build!
Reply Quote
hehe.. to be honest.. i love my wd with 1.1k life regen and 2k thorns.. i use jungle fortitude/grave injustice/fierce loyalty. I tried Zombie Handler but grave injustice is to good.

Life regen is very important for your pets.. i even would prefer 2k life regen..
Besides that, i try to get 3xx mf, so my gear is not even near as good as it could be.

May i be honest? Thing of the deep is enough pick up radius.. 43 pick up is overkill, also 1.07 will provide more pick up radius..

I hope you didnt spend that much money for the gear you got. But i like the idea.
You could even go for a radiant star topaz in your weapon for 1.8k extra thorns, but that would be a waste if you ask me..

Jungle fortitude is very important!
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#RZYQUT!gYT!abbbZZ I just recently played for a bit with this build. I will read through and see/try some of your suggestions.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 06:17 AMPosted by Recount
What I would probably do is switch out one of your passives for fetish sycophants. It will provide 4-5 more pets for mobs to hit on.

Do they provide the Thorns as well? I have not been able to figure that out for sure.

01/19/2013 06:17 AMPosted by Recount
AC and ZB are such mana intensive skills, since you have very little Mana Regen, even with the help of GI, I'd think you'll still go oom

Yea I noticed that and switched around for alittle more Mana regen.

01/19/2013 06:25 AMPosted by Normen
May i be honest? Thing of the deep is enough pick up radius.. 43 pick up is overkill, also 1.07 will provide more pick up radius..

Yea I actually just got the extra 20 from Thing of the deep. So I may have room for a little changes in gear. I spent more than I wanted to for what I have got. Wish I would have known about The Thing From The Deep much sooner...
Reply Quote
As a Thorn Doc, you want to run Leeching Beasts, not Life Link, it is pretty much the only reason to run a thorn doc as the damage is too low. Your pets become quite tanky with the added thorn damage.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Wachati
As a Thorn Doc, you want to run Leeching Beasts, not Life Link, it is pretty much the only reason to run a thorn doc as the damage is too low. Your pets become quite tanky with the added thorn damage.

The question I had with this and whether to use it or not was, "Do the You and your pets get Life from the thorn damage your pets deal?"
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 10:48 PMPosted by Zaamcore

The question I had with this and whether to use it or not was, "Do the You and your pets get Life from the thorn damage your pets deal?"

Yup, the thorns returns life. I used to be a thorns doc too but I hit a wall. I had to choose between real damage or thorns damage because there were just too few choices on the market.
Reply Quote
Im wondering if It would be more efficient to just use Pick Up Radius skills and pitch thorns completely? theres got to be some way though. Why would that passive skill be there? Do thorns count for everything? Even little fetish? Maybe I'll try adding up how many total summons can be out at one time. Maybe by increasing pet damage you increase thorns damage from them?
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Wachati

I have never run a thorns doctor, BUT I ran a thorns barb for a long time. At one point I was about 1000 thorns damage from max. From the barb standpoint, the build was not viable. Too much damage in the game is not melee. How viable is a thorns-doctor? I have always been interested in creating builds that rely on return damage, but I am have not been able to get one to actually be viable.

Yup, the thorns returns life. I used to be a thorns doc too but I hit a wall. I had to choose between real damage or thorns damage because there were just too few choices on the market.

I am assuming that is a mechanics from the leeching beast rune. I know that on my thorns barb you did not get LOH, but I do think you get lifesteal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]