Diablo® III

Diablo III, A great game but its not for us.

Warning rambling and haste
sorry for structure and spelling

EDIT: using "us" was a poor choice in words I'm not trying to speak for you. my apologies.

Diablo 3 at its core is an excellent game.

As i look at theses forums i see one thing that stands out. A VERY LARGE GROUP of people saying "i've played Diablo 2 for years and this game sucks".

you may be wondering why is this? well its simple.

THIS GAME WASN'T MADE FOR US. than who was it made for?

... the younger generation of gamers.

You may be thinking to yourself "how does this change anything or make the game bad? we're all gamers after all"

let's just look at this as a bigger picture for a moment.

We the older generation of gamers grew up playing games that are VERY different than the younger. How so?

Lets take arguably the greatest FPS ever made Quake 3 Arena. Is this really the best? or just our generation? let's compare some of the features to a current gen FPS.

Q3A (1999)
Health packs
Armor pickups starts to degenerate instantly
pick up guns (non death persistent)
requires high map control for health/armor/ammo/spawn points
respawn at disadvantage

generic new fps (201*)
regenerating health
armor regens
loadouts (start with gun of choice)
requires lower map control for ammo/spawn points
respawn equal to other players

I'll stop here on features just listing them looks bias.

What's the point you ask? this genre changed over the years and left our(old guys) mindset behind.

now lets look at some of the changes made to the Diablo world

Diablo 2 (2000)
Pking one of the main features of an ARPG (one of the most known interactions with devs was based on this)
Stat points
Skill points (skills earned)

Diablo 3 (2012)
Pking > removed (Griefing is bad)
Stat points > removed (auto/pre-defined)
Skill points > removed (all skills given. with level requirement)

just a few of the changes. lets go into them a little.

Pking (hardcore)
a large part of Diablo 2 was getting gear and killing other players. entire communities were built upon it (lvl 9 15 18 30 pker's) [don't think it was a big part? you were a casual.]

-tppk > everyone hated it except the ones doing it which was quite a few people (12k banned for tppk hacks in one wave)
-dirty tp's > cows anyone? nope reroll
-loot duels > tournaments and tricking people into giving loot permission just to kill them

Younger players don't want to be invaded and killed, which was voiced to the point that it was removed, completely alienating pkers/duelers and forcing them to abandon d3

stat points
this is an improvement based on how no unique items change your skills/build (no werebear enchant sorcs etc.)

this is insignificant point there is no diversity in builds beyond picking different skills

Adding this doesn't change anything. the fact is the items do not work in regards to a stat system

for example the debate of max block vs not. getting 85% block just to block 2k incoming damage is a non issue.

Skill points
this is a good thing. need an example? there are no posts about people putting 20 points in Conversion instead of Zeal.

hate it or not this change helps bad players who do not research builds AND theorycrafters who tinker with builds. WHAT A WIN WIN?

even if they used points + respec people would still complain about messing up.

-----
i could go on for hours but i'm too lazy to fix my grammar/spelling and the more i type the more painful this will be to read.

TL:DR This game was made for a younger generation of gamers who expect different elements in games than the prior does. this game is not bad its just new and change is hard. deal with it.
Edited by Xcluusive#1334 on 1/22/2013 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
yeh i know u point
like u say made by a younger generation who say
this game so easy so they add reflect dmg
when reflect damage is insane now they say yeh pls nefr reflect dmg
so basicly Blizard lisining kids :)
Reply Quote
not nerfing reflect... adding a visual to see when its on.
Reply Quote
not the younger generation.
the new masses of casual gaming people.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 06:56 AMPosted by STING
so basicly Blizard lisining kids :)

lets be honest if you were in their shoes you would do the same. 10 years from now most d2 players will be 30+ or older! we are not the target market for this game.
Reply Quote
yeh ok not nefred but this afiix will by not exist but somone ask it for this
Reply Quote
Us? I think we can speak our own minds but thanks chap.
Reply Quote
you may be wondering why is this? well its simple.

THIS GAME WASN'T MADE FOR US. than who was it made for?

... the younger generation of gamers.

If you play D1 you will understand my excitement when playing through Act 1 and I don't belong to the younger generation of gamers.

I truly enjoyed D1 & D2 and now still loving D3. I really don't see why so many "veterans" are so pissed off. I hope they buy/pirate/hack/steal/whatever a copy of D1, D2 and play through the game again.

Come back on to appreciate what D3 has given us.
Edited by Fireblade#1295 on 1/22/2013 7:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
i wont fight the argument because halo 2 was better then 3 and i was raged and stopped since i was h2 god and h3 i was good but... it wasn't the same i guess i know how the 99 percent of you feel glad im new to d3 WOOT
Reply Quote
You're right on many points.

Then you throw on top of it:

A retarded itemisation system.

Lottery type odds that you have to grind hundreds of hours for.

3.5 levels of content to grind in.

Console-inspired button limit for the mentally challenged

RMAH being the sole focus of developers

And you end up with lots of unhappy people.
Reply Quote
View profile
US? Do you mean you and your 10 year old little cousin Jimmy? I know I personally don't need you to speak for me.
Reply Quote
no I did not invent the reflect
so maby u blame Developer :))
ehh i will just watch how this game will by bether some day
in meant time let some pro D2 players make this game bether coza they know much more then me or others here :) Coomon thinks harder to make this bether :D
Reply Quote
i'm 28 and am still thoroughly enjoying playing Diablo 3. so does that make me a 'younger generation of player'?

I also thoroughly enjoyed playing the crap out of Diablo 2 and Diablo 1.

Maybe I can just deal with change easier than some.
Reply Quote
Incorrect.

It was made within the constraints of battle.net 2.0. That piece of garbage that single handily ruined the SC2 experience for many of us did the same for D3.

They can't add the sort of chat features that D2 had because battle.net 2.0 wasn't designed for that.
Reply Quote
i'm 28 and am still thoroughly enjoying playing Diablo 3. so does that make me a 'younger generation of player'?

I also thoroughly enjoyed playing the crap out of Diablo 2 and Diablo 1.

Maybe I can just deal with change easier than some.

Unlike your name, you are actually able to enjoy games for what they have instead of what they dont. I wish I could meet you, as I'm sure you'd be a true and loyal friend.

Incorrect.

It was made within the constraints of battle.net 2.0. That piece of garbage that single handily ruined the SC2 experience for many of us did the same for D3.

They can't add the sort of chat features that D2 had because battle.net 2.0 wasn't designed for that.

The only way to fix battle.net 2.0 is to simply upload sc2 and d3 into a remade bnet2. itd take about as long to make new code, than to change existing code and then bug hunt.
However, damage control isnt seen as progress, therefore, making a new bnet 2 is "faster"
Edited by MwagonDriver#1159 on 1/22/2013 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
I played D2, (A LOT. farming sorc, hours on end) and I really think, with or without stat points/skill points, the game is still fun and it all still boils down to: Make bad !@# hero, kill a million monsters, hope they drop loot.

It's basically the same experience. (Except the combat is nine million times better.)

I mean, once you've put your points in, in Diablo 2, it is still at it's very core an action game. And a very simple one at that.

And putting your points in in Diablo 2 was never really that complex. Especially with the advent of synergies where you more or less were given a guide line for skill allocation based on what bonuses were given where. I guess some people get really excited about adding 5% more damage to their Frozen Orb, but I don't really see the game changing appeal.

The level of challenge between the two skill systems is relatively similar, especially if we are to include respecs, which are all but mandatory now. The challenge being, make a build that is efficient. And as we have seen, there are builds in D3 that are better at that than other builds. This is the fun of builds, making one that works, this element hasn't been removed from the game.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 1/22/2013 7:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 07:00 AMPosted by Xcluusive
lets be honest if you were in their shoes you would do the same. 10 years from now most d2 players will be 30+ or older! we are not the target market for this game.

LOL........... Im already over 30.

What you fail to realise (since you must be young yourself) is that we grew up with computers and games.
We still play games now and will continue to do so.

What blizzard have failed to do is "target the market for this game".
They made a wishy-washy game trying to please too many people and its blown-up in their faces.

Word of mouth goes a very long way, if a game is successfull it will pull in others from other genres to at least have a look at it....my friends-friend plays diablo it looks awesome !!!

Now the friends i game with have children too and in the next 5 years you will be hearing....my dad/mum plays this game that game etc etc.

Its very arrogant of younger-players to assume they made the gaming community.
Reply Quote
I have played them all

and well each version has had its ups and down I still love to play the game

Stop complaining and leave if you don't like what they offer
Reply Quote
Incorrect.

You are herping all over your derp.
Reply Quote
[quote="77074689893"]
What blizzard have failed to do is "target the market for this game".
Its very arrogant of younger-players to assume they made the gaming community.

i'm already at the point where gaming with friends and their kids is a normal thing.

if they target someone who's currently 25-40, 10 years from now do you think a 40 year old will still put in hours a day?

---
playing dos games feels like yesterday even if i was just a child.

the entire gaming community has changed and people have to deal with it. there is no golden age of gaming it is what it is.

Diablo 3 was made with other people in mind. its either jump in or get out of the pool.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]