Diablo® III

0-dog WD at your service -- Globes Galore!

View profile
BLUF: I'm looking for a very high DPS partner to try some mp7+ runs to farm legendaries, I spawn a metric poop ton of health globes and know a Wiz can do crazy damage if they have endless globes.

INFO: For those who have no idea what a 0-dog WD is, we basically have the spell "Summon Zombie Dog" down from a 45 second, to a 0 second CD. We rune this spell with the chance that our dogs have a 15% chance of dropping a health globe when they die. We then use the spell sacrifice which explodes each of our doggies for 275% wpn damage each. I can repeat this indefinitely since neither spell consumes mana. The reason I'm looking for a wizard partner is twofold: 1) I know you guys have great dps and take good advantage of health globes
2) To make this spec work, I took a 50% cut in my paper dps. I can farm the high mps solo but it takes too long to kill to be more efficient than just going with a traditional spec and mowing through low mps.

Anyway, if this interests you hit me up in-game: Silentmike69#1275
Edited by SilentMike69#1275 on 1/21/2013 6:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
As far as I know there really aren't huge advantages to have alot of health globes for wizards.

The only thing that I think might benefit is a meteor spamming wizard with Power Hungry passive, but even then they still need to spam living lightning for Arcane Dynamo in order for it to out damage the off-the-shelf SNS spec. In which case health globes become unnecessary...

Any way, in your copy/paste post you forgot to change "I'm looking for a DH partner" to "I'm looking for a Wiz Partner".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't immediately see how even having endless health globes greatly changes wizard play since you need to endlessly proc critical mass anyway.

(maybe replacing wicked wind with liquify and running SNS, but i'm not sure how many health globes will actually be picked up)
Edited by BDF#1838 on 1/21/2013 6:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks for your reply, I was told by a wiz friend of mine that you could get endless arcane power by using Power Hungry when partnered with a 0-dog WD. I don't play a wiz but assumed endless resources would be a good thing for any class, sorry if I was mistaken. I see in your 1st paragraph how the globes can be a moot point based upon spec.

As for the cut and paste, yup, I missed it and will fix, thanks!
Edited by SilentMike69#1275 on 1/21/2013 6:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Most wizards are running CM/SNS or Archon which have no need of the passive skill 'power hungry'. There are a select few who are running specs like meteor that could sacrifice a passive skill slot for power hungry and take advantage of the health globes but I believe they use skills like living lightening with prodigy for unlimited arcane power. It is a decent idea but I think the type of wizard you are looking for are in the minority for sure. Good Luck!
Reply Quote
View profile
01/21/2013 06:36 AMPosted by KillerElite
Most wizards are running CM/SNS or Archon which have no need of the passive skill 'power hungry'. There are a select few who are running specs like meteor that could sacrifice a passive skill slot for power hungry and take advantage of the health globes but I believe they use skills like living lightening with prodigy for unlimited arcane power. It is a decent idea but I think the type of wizard you are looking for are in the minority for sure. Good Luck!

Got it, hopefully it will work better with a DH then. I finally got the gold to run the spec but overestimated my ability to solo mp10. Before spending the big gold I could expeditiously solo MP6 using a traditional bears spec and after a decent sized expenditure I can plod through MP7, but it is definitely not efficient.
Reply Quote
It's not so much that it wouldn't give us infinite arcane power, it's more that arcane power isn't the limiting factor in our highest throughput builds.

The limiting factor is simply sheet dps and/or cooldown reduction (which is related to Crit chance and attack speed), but even cooldown reduction is throttled by the server's ability to respond quickly enough.

So it's likely that if you're playing a spec that is limited by arcane power generation, you are not playing the highest throughput specs anyway. (since meteors require dynamo to pull ahead anyway)
Reply Quote
View profile
Yeah, that makes sense. WD DPS is completely limited by resource generation and with my limited knowledge of wizards I didn't consider that resources weren't your LIMFAC. The demon hunters seem to like it at least :).
Reply Quote
You can do more DPS with the extra globes, but it typically requires changing your gear. Standard CM wiz wouldn't benefit too much from it, even Meteor since you'd be trading Conflagration passive that increases both of your damages for Power Hungry. Perhaps you could do more if the globe output and pickup radius was high enough to not need diamond skin(difficult on mp8+ due to burst damage deaths, especially if frozen) and swap it with force weapon electrify.

A wiz could also try a meteor build with a Storm Crow and SKORN. I've tried weapon swapping with 3.01 atk spd Chant twisters followed by swapping into a Skorn and Storm Crow(apoc) instead of Mempo and it was extremely high damage but quite the PITA to keep swapping and only useful on mp9-10 elites. Perhaps with power hungry you could get away with always using the Storm Crow and Skorn. Meteor doesn't benefit from atk speed aside from cast time so the 2h weapon meteors do a ton of damage.
Reply Quote
View profile
You can do more DPS with the extra globes, but it typically requires changing your gear. Standard CM wiz wouldn't benefit too much from it, even Meteor since you'd be trading Conflagration passive that increases both of your damages for Power Hungry. Perhaps you could do more if the globe output and pickup radius was high enough to not need diamond skin(difficult on mp8+ due to burst damage deaths, especially if frozen) and swap it with force weapon electrify.

A wiz could also try a meteor build with a Storm Crow and SKORN. I've tried weapon swapping with 3.01 atk spd Chant twisters followed by swapping into a Skorn and Storm Crow(apoc) instead of Mempo and it was extremely high damage but quite the PITA to keep swapping and only useful on mp9-10 elites. Perhaps with power hungry you could get away with always using the Storm Crow and Skorn. Meteor doesn't benefit from atk speed aside from cast time so the 2h weapon meteors do a ton of damage.

Based on what I've been running with demon hunters, I normally proc 4-5 health globes (worst case) every 10 seconds while fighting elites. Not sure if that would be enough to maintain your AP using stormcrow and skorn.
Edited by SilentMike69#1275 on 1/21/2013 9:11 AM PST
Reply Quote

Based on what I've been running with demon hunters, I normally proc 4-5 health globes (worst case) every 10 seconds while fighting elites. Not sure if that would be enough to maintain your AP using stormcrow and skorn.

We'd need that many globes per second, not every 10 seconds...
Reply Quote
View profile
This sound like fun. I'm gonna add you and bring the meteor pain with damage buffs like conflag cold blooded bone chill... how many health globes we talking about here? Cos there is no cool down on meteor. Have mana cast as fast as IAS allows. With power hungry and ditch CM and APOC completely this could be very interesting. unlimited bombs dropping for 2m ea? I am very interested.

eh just read thread in it's entirety..no not enough. we need like 10 globes a second to make this work.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 1/21/2013 9:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

HOLY COW! On a good run I can generate 2-3 globes per second, but I don't do that very often, 4-5 per second would be absolutely incredible if I could do it but the odds of doing that are pretty low.
Reply Quote

HOLY COW! On a good run I can generate 2-3 globes per second, but I don't do that very often, 4-5 per second would be absolutely incredible if I could do it but the odds of doing that are pretty low.

We use our resources fast, but when fully revved up we generate hundreds of arcane power per second...hence why our limiting factor is how fast the server can respond to let us spend it.
Reply Quote
actually my farming partner is 0 dog wd( for high mps) and his damage output is ridiculous too, huge multi like us sns. thing is mp10 is just too much of a grind for anyone including sns. stay at a lower high mp, something like 8 is fine.

he stacked all the ias he could as 0 dog benefits a ton from it, more dog casts per sec = more damage.... he also switched to the rune that gives him health on dog death instead of globes as i dont need the globes really and it is much better for his sustain.

he does have like 50k more dps than you though.... as he is uisng an ias + socket ef ( good base aps), cd + ias pox (cheaper than cc one) and more stuff i cant remember
Edited by ximae#1789 on 1/21/2013 10:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
actually my farming partner is 0 dog wd( for high mps) and his damage output is ridiculous too, huge multi like us sns. thing is mp10 is just too much of a grind for anyone including sns. stay at a lower high mp, something like 8 is fine.

he stacked all the ias he could as 0 dog benefits a ton from it, more dog casts per sec = more damage.... he also switched to the rune that gives him health on dog death instead of globes as i dont need the globes really and it is much better for his sustain.

Don't they like the health globe because it gives them that intel buff from a passive?
Reply Quote
yes but same as us, if theyre taking a beating in high mps more sustain = alive where as dead = no dps.

but sure if he can tank it, more dps for sure.
Edited by ximae#1789 on 1/21/2013 10:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
i only have one wd on my fl, if ur cool with running with one of us cm/sns wizards, hit me up
SteelPhantom#1820
Reply Quote
View profile
I like the health globe rune for the int buff, plus it helps keep me alive. I'm already getting 6k per dog (4) in health when the explode from my sac rune.
Reply Quote
yeah thats the rune i meant, maybe i got it wrong and he also gets the healthglobes for int too.... ill have to ask him tonight.
Reply Quote
I think you want a DH partner :

Vengeance
Your maximum Hatred is increased by 25. In addition, gain 20 Hatred and 2 Discipline whenever you are healed by a health globe.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]