Diablo® III

Monster density: Let's be honest

The hangup here can't be the monster density modification, but rather their quality control of it's implementation. A SEA OF MONSTERS, while cool, might startle and confuse newcomers, and might overload/tweak something under the hood.

this is easy - unlock/allow "monster density" only in inferno or nightmare+?
this way newcomers get the original story/design/power/density in normal.
nightmare and higher difficulties add nothing to normal except difficulty.
Reply Quote
Even though keeping your NV stacks between acts is a step in the right direction (all be it small)

01/25/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Crayon
now, it would be a real nice change if we could freely move to whichever way point, in which ever order we wanted and which ever act we wanted

^^ This is what's needed. This alone I'm sure would draw more people back to the game.

Continually doing the same quests over and over is pointless. I don't see why anyone would want to take out Belial in Act 2, and enter Act 3 with full stacks, when it's more efficient to farm specific areas in Act 3 over and over. There is no merit to re-doing quests unless you want to start attaching meaningful rewards to them. I'm stressing the word MEANINGFUL.
Reply Quote
why are people so butthurt over this
basically more viable to go act 3 to act 4 now which makes me happy as act 4 is beautiful enviroment ill be glad to go back there more often
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Lightdemon
In other words, are we unable to move between acts without having to defeat those bosses/completing the end quests?

This question brings up a good point: if we can't start at diablo and then work backwards to any act we want, then maintaining nephalim won't help key farming at all. ...just saying.
Reply Quote

I wonder if the mere adjustment to having Nephalem Valor persist between acts would inspire farming of Acts 2 & 4 far more often

In patch 1.0.7 Nephalem Valor will persist between Acts. This is just one of many possible features that should provide some incentive for some players to farm areas they normally don’t. I know I will personally see Act 4 a little more as a direct result, but we're still seeing how it's being received by players on the PTR before we have a good idea on how much it’s helping. That said, Nephalem Valor persisting through Acts is just one step, and there are still lots of options and ideas we are exploring to improve this part of the game.

Please just allow us to use every waypoint.
Reply Quote
I like the fact that NV now transfers between acts, when you complete an act, I now do more farming in A4 instead of just leaving the game after completing A3, but seriously, the problem still persists that there aren't enough monsters in the other acts to consider using them for farming.

Heck, lets point out that Grimiku even stated that, he(or she?) will be doing more A4 farming because NV carries over. Which goes to show that even the blues are primarily farming A3 because the other acts need to have their monster density increased in order to make them viable places to farm.

It would make a great improvement to the game to see a monster density chooser, similar to MP LvL, or even just a huge increase in monster density in A1, A2, and A4. I would love to go around and farm the other acts, it would add much more depth to the game for me. As it sits now, i feel locked into farming A3 every time i play because it isnt efficient enough for me to go to any other act to farm for items. Believe me, I think we have all tried and found out very quickly just how inefficient it can be.

Also, it would be really nice to have all the bosses available to fight again, no matter what quest in an act you start on. And it would be nice if boss fighting was as rewardable as it was back in D2 where the main place to go to hunt for items was boss fight. Don't get me wrong, I dont mind traveling through an act farming off of trash mobs and elites, but it would give me a reason to also go and do boss fights as well.
Reply Quote
I think we need more monster density. At least something that makes farming every step worth while....

It gets boring running from elite to elite. More elites means faster farming and over all faster farming for each person could have a negative impact on the economy. Not too sure about that idea. Increasing movement speed would be a better alternative.
Reply Quote
More monsters doesn't mean you necessarily need to leave the loot mechanics the same...

I would Love to have a setting that increases monsters in the map at the cost of slightly less loot per monster. This would give more freedom to make the farming experience vary according to what I find enjoyable.

Ideally though i think this option ruins the basic gameplay, especially in the sense of undermining elite mobs. I would definately love more events such as those similar to jar of souls, the summoning traps in act 1, the summoning traps in act 2 etc..
Reply Quote

I wonder if the mere adjustment to having Nephalem Valor persist between acts would inspire farming of Acts 2 & 4 far more often

In patch 1.0.7 Nephalem Valor will persist between Acts. This is just one of many possible features that should provide some incentive for some players to farm areas they normally don’t. I know I will personally see Act 4 a little more as a direct result, but we're still seeing how it's being received by players on the PTR before we have a good idea on how much it’s helping. That said, Nephalem Valor persisting through Acts is just one step, and there are still lots of options and ideas we are exploring to improve this part of the game.

act 4 is still terrible for mob density

plus the fact that you actually have to complete the last quest in the previous act to get to the next one is why no one will use it

bosses are a waste of time and all the canceling of 'events' between killing the boss and going to the next act makes it not even worth doing

might as well just keep doing a3 runs because they will still be the most efficient.

however, if you were to add a feature that allowed players to freely teleport between acts regardless of what quest you're on that would make a whole lot more sense, and in addition to this you should have all bosses be where they would normally spawn regardless of quest

why there are even quests in inferno makes no sense to me, no one quests at level 60 there's no point all there is to do is farm... maybe if quests gave paragon xp there would be some point in doing them but even then the more efficient way is to just kill as many monsters in as short a time as possible and being able to keep your NV stacks between acts is neat but there's no point because all the time wasted killing the boss, completing the quest, canceling the event, exiting the cinimatics, killing that first a4 boss before you even get to any xp or loot giving mobs... by the time you do all that you could already be 1/4 into your next a3 run.
Reply Quote
the idea of a endless survival its kinda bad idea, imagine all the common items on the floor. maybe a special room with no items drop or maybe just legendaries or rare ones and an increased exp per wave that could be nice
Reply Quote

Thing is, people want to play different acts because they're bored of farming alkaizer path a million times.

But even if NV stacks go through acts, and monster density is increased.... They'll still just find the most efficient route and farm it 24/7. They won't lose 2% XP just to make their gaming time more interresting. So it won't change much. They'll just get bored of a new farming route.

Also, the most efficient route will certainly not have the beginning of the acts ( wehre it's just "kill a few worthless very sparse white mob and talk to NPC's for 5 minutes" so they'll never go through different acts anyway, they'd lose too much XP/items by farming this poor part with just white mobs/NPC's to talk to to start quests.

So, they won't change acts... And they'll just find the most efficient farming route...
It'd be kinda funny if they'd just realise that nothing really change and still had to farm alkaizer :)

If the point of this update is to get people to play everywhere... give them reasons to do so.
They complain that they'Re bored of A3, but they're not willing to do anything else because their paragon level is more important thantheir enjoyment ( which is a sad realisation, but that's beside the point ). If you want to get them to play elsewhere, give them something to get at that place.
Reply Quote
Hi, I'm a bit late to join the thread, hope my message doesn't get lost.

I welcome the idea of increased monster density, whether a flat-out density increase in a1, a2 and a4, or an adjustable system (perhaps tied to Monster Power). But on top of that I have some other remarks and suggestions regarding monster density and reward per time investment.
  • The monster density in optional mini dungeons is low compared to their surroundings (like The Battlefield Stores or Caverns of Frost in a3). It's awkward that it's usually a waste of time to enter these when farming, and that the mandatory story zones have better xp/loot per time. As these dungeons are optional I think it's fair if they are a bit more challenging and more rewarding. Like more elites, chests, higher chance of treasure goblins. Because we just love when those little buggers pull in an elite pack or two. On high MP... The usual Resplendent Chests on level 2 of these dungeons don't justify the long walks on level 1 (the worst offender here being The Barracks in a3, which is a huge labyrinth with many empty rooms). I understand that when Magic Find gets fixed with chests it will be more rewarding to clear these dungeons, but that alone doesn't make them worth clearing. Most optional dungeons need a healthy buff to their monster density, even more than the story areas that spawn them.

• Random events are not worth doing. I don't know what's the problem, the changes in 1.05 should have fixed this. The loot from events seems unaffected by Magic Find or it has lower base chance for rares/legendaries than normal monsters. Sometimes I just wish you bring back the old events which spawned random elite packs, at least those drop loot that I can pick up. While events are not directly related to monster density, they are important in shaping the pace of gameplay. I think when I see an event I should want to do it, and not skip it. Increasing the monster count in these events, making event bosses more difficult and rewarding could make them more interesting. This increase in event difficulty could be tied to Monster Power so new players don't get stomped on MP0.

• More random fun like treasure goblins. Treasure goblins are the only true random encounters in the game, and they are the biggest addition to the decade-old gameplay of Diablo. If you ever plan to add elements that break our usual farming pace you should start with examining how treasure goblins affect gamers :) It's amazing how easy it is to increase difficulty (by luring the player through large packs) and provide interesting challenge (kill the goblin before it escapes) with a simple, but truly random addition. Granted, that randomness will often mean easy goblin kills. But when it lures us through a few elite packs and hordes of other monsters and we still manage to kill it, I think that's the best Diablo has to offer in terms of gameplay and fun. This seemingly doesn't relate to monster density, but actually it does. Bigger monster density means less easy mode goblin one-shots, and more exciting goblin hunts!

So yeah, I'm looking forward to this monster density buff. I don't mind if it's implemented through a game customization mechanic, like Monster Power, or even directly tied to MP, as Diablo 3 desperately needs more customization. While I understand that you want to keep things simple for new players, I feel that this game has very little options for the hardcore. You should focus more on that. I don't mind if these options are obscured from the new players, but they have to be in there, somewhere...
Edited by Ceriulun#2442 on 1/26/2013 1:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
the current nv persisting across acts is only for ending 1 act and proceeding to the next act, it is not open world.

so you can at most do 2 whole acts

eg: start quest at sin heart then doing all the parts of act3 that you want, then continuing after azmodan into start of act 4

or start quest at the end of belial then doing the parts of act2 that you want then continuing into the start of act 3.

but its not open world and kind of silly . why not just go open world?

ie: your nv buff persists OUTSIDE of the game, the 30 minute timer still applies as normal, maybe each time you leave an act, you lose just 1 stack, that way it can't really be abused to repeatedly farm warriors rest. (or like you can review all your checkpoints and make it that there aren't any that can be abused). or you can change your nv system so that the more elites you kill the better it gets.

eg: (5 elites = 75% mf., thereafter your nv stack continues to increase, granting eg: 1 pur, 1% movespeed 2% mf/gf until it hits 75 stacks)
Reply Quote
Here's my barb's opinion on the matter ^_^

How much density you ask? Whatever is needed to give me the feel that I am plowing though the minions of The Burning Hells meanwhile I am barely being kept alive by my blood splattered epic gear, their empowering death wails in my face, and my pure will to survive!

Alas, I also need breaks, in which I have time to go back to town, to sharpen my weapon so that I may "rend the flesh from" their "bones", cleave their skulls in half and squish the small vermins with each step I take, all with more ease. And if they really need it, time for my companions to catch their breaths.

At the end I will be victorious to boast "Too easy!" And marvel in the glory and impressive looks in my companion's faces!
Reply Quote
I think it would be cool to add some 'never ending' mobs, kinda like when you fight Rakanoth, but just don't have it end. And have them very very thick, and maybe one of these places in each act or something. Just have it keep increasing mob density for a while and then if your keep living start adding in elites or something, kinda like a fight where you have to die to leave....
Reply Quote
Btw. Iskatu and Rakanoth don't drop proper loot everytime with NV5.

Went iskatu with nv5 and 300mf, only 3 blues and whites ... shouldn't it drop yellows ?
Reply Quote
I think we could hv make the WP more useful by letting us travel to and fro to some particular place in the different acts.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]