Diablo® III

Monster density: Let's be honest

I would absolutely love to see higher monster density across the board. Not because I want extra XP / Paragon. Not because I want more drops and better loot (but don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain).

I want it because to me, the pinnacle of playing a Diablo game is mowing down packs of monsters. I'm talking screen-after-screen full of baddies and just absolutely demolishing all of them. Also, the frequency of enemies (in addition to the quantity) needs to be increased. Brief respites after a brutal encounter can be good while gaming, but far too much time in D3 is spent running through fields or hallways with nobody to slay, just some barrels and debris here and there.

Give me more to kill and more often. Even if nerfs have to happen to balance the game as a result, it would be worth it.

01/25/2013 04:04 PMPosted by Camburger
here is my thoughts on mob density and this forum is an excellent place to share it. i do agree that mob density is part of the fun in diablo 3 and should be heightened in the acts 1,2 and 4. being able to smash through countless monsters appeals to almost everyone who plays this game. many of you commented on another forum that jar of souls was one of your favorite events within the game and going off of this, this is almost definatelely solely not my idea, but since blizzard has postponed pvp, an introduction of a multi player survival endless mode should be added to the game with multiple landscapes from which to choose. in this survival mode a player and his allies would face endless waves of monsters that get harder both health and damage wise as the players progress. the key? to survive. i think that this would be a great addition to the game and it would allow the hack and slash swarms that people are yearning. i hope a blue at least glances at this post because i think it would be a great idea to draw in new players and give those who already play a chance to test real skill. i'm sure they could even add mp to it!

+1
Exactly!

One of the reason I get bored is about always farming/xp Act3...
Edited by Max#1117 on 1/26/2013 4:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
2nd step. Waypoint's between acts. Which should have been implemented DAY ONE. There was no reason to remove content like this that was in diablo 2, accept COMPLETE LAZYNESS.
Reply Quote

I wonder if the mere adjustment to having Nephalem Valor persist between acts would inspire farming of Acts 2 & 4 far more often

In patch 1.0.7 Nephalem Valor will persist between Acts. This is just one of many possible features that should provide some incentive for some players to farm areas they normally don’t. I know I will personally see Act 4 a little more as a direct result, but we're still seeing how it's being received by players on the PTR before we have a good idea on how much it’s helping. That said, Nephalem Valor persisting through Acts is just one step, and there are still lots of options and ideas we are exploring to improve this part of the game.

More reasons to delete NV altogether and replace it with a permanent level 60 bonus that does what NV5 does.

In 1.07 It can only persist if you leave the act by completing it. That severely limits the runs you can do.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/25/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Grimiku
In patch 1.0.7 Nephalem Valor will persist between Acts. This is just one of many possible features that should provide some incentive for some players to farm areas they normally don’t. I know I will personally see Act 4 a little more as a direct result, but we're still seeing how it's being received by players on the PTR before we have a good idea on how much it’s helping. That said, Nephalem Valor persisting through Acts is just one step, and there are still lots of options and ideas we are exploring to improve this part of the game.

This is a good addition. It would be nice if you could play totally open world style but this is most definitely better than nothing.

I gotta ask, Grimiku, are you going to go back and change all your old posts where you refer to yourself as "Yeti" and change them to instead read "Goatman" so noobs don't get confused?
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 community to Blizzard,

We feel that it is unfair that all acts aren't exactly equal for farming. As a group, just farming the 1 endgame area isn't fun when done repeatedly and we feel that the rest of the areas are being bullied. If one area has the highest mob density and monster levels this isn't fair to the rest of the areas, just like everyone that competes should get a medal. Please change all 4 acts so that they are exactly equal for farming (size, density, mob level) so we can enjoy the multiple tilesets used in the 4 acts.

We as the community don't want to think about XP efficiency, or be locked into a single best option, for areas to farm. We do appreciate the best in slot itemization, which supports our overwhelming demand for pay2win, pointless2think gameplay, but having to only farm act3 because its the most viable is too hard for us when the other acts just sit there, it isn't fair.

In closure, although this won't change anything in reality, as long as we cry and the game is changed quarterly to be more fair for all and #90sBabys we will have won. This is our game, and armed with mom's CC our E-peens will grow to new lengths.

QQ
Reply Quote

He's saying that you now have a reason to visit act 4 after you're done with act 3.

But there isn't. Act 4 is terrible for farming, and some of the mobs there are not worth the trouble fighting ( I am not saying hard - just annoying and maybe a bit overtuned )

Letting NV go across acts is a pointless addition because it only applies to playing forward through quests.

We need a waypoint system ( that would be unlocked once you finished the game ) so we can easily teleport between places in different acts. Otherwise, people are just better off staying in the only act that seems to matter - Act 3.

THIS
Reply Quote
i couldnt care less about monster density effecting farming...

i want to increase the monster density bc there arent enough monsters in the game. the only time there are enough monsters in the game are whent he monsters are meant to be "swarming" and therefore are weak and easy to kill

there are no epic battles in this game because there are never enough monsters. and anytime there are enough monsters, they die too quickly

simply put... the game is too barren
Reply Quote
just nerf act 3 monster density or reduce elites in act 3... that would be the fix for everyone.
Reply Quote
Hello there blizzard.

I rarely post message but this topic has been discussed a while and I wanted to give a little suggestion here. The following are listed of the key feature for my idea.

The Idea itself is, you have an event or creat a special mob which could be just one in a map or more than one. This is a special mob lets called it "leader" could be non elite or elite its up to your balance. This mob could be a little shining or base on color to tell difference (red mob?? lol) their hp or status is up to your balance. but they could have a ranking system to create different difficulty. Then here is the main idea, this mob is not all aggressive, and sometime they could decide to run away (not as fast as globin). If you could kill it before it runs a call of.. "could be a portal, could be come out of the ground , could drop from sky"; otherwise a wave of monster jumps out of everywhere if you let him continue to summon for a period of time(the number of units jumps out is depending on the mob's ranking, of course thats up to your balance) what monster comes out on what level and their status could be another decision of yours to make it how difficult. One last thing is , the player could run away of this mob just like gives time the globin run away, if this mob detected no player nearby, it will just stopped the call and run away (this could give user chances to choose either they want it or not, and if by accident they let it go, they could still avoid the fight)

1. You do not have to increase the mass at all.

2. You could do it in all acts, you could make act 3 4 even more crazy if you like.

3. You can do it be either create an event or simply add some modification to current logic

4. You could have some cows portal out instead of monsters lol..

5. You let the player choose if they want to do it or avoid it. even by accident, they let it run away they can still avoid it.

I have a lot more idea than this but i think there are lot of ways to fix or make this game even better and more choices for different kinds of player.

I mean, if this could be done, i believe there could be some surprise for even higher level players , keep the play challenge (not impossible) is one thing to keep the player to play.

:)
Edited by WarGhost#1323 on 1/26/2013 11:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
I for one look forward to keeping my Nephalem stacks through to the next act.
Reply Quote
If not as important as MP, density should be the 2nd most important feature to me.

Or better, integrate both.
Reply Quote
You should track all my posts blizz... you would be ahead and far gone with enough work and accurate thoughts of what this community wants and ever wanted.
I mentioned this a LONG while ago.

Just as much as pretty much all the improvements that have been brought.

One I dont see, still, that really bugs me is this & that:

AH doesnt have a garbage button? Stuff just stacks and I wont bother removing it from there (not even lazy, it just feels like I would waste time to do the transition in and out game etc).

Listed games. For many reasons people dont like a.h, but... you also removed the only way to have us intrigued by what others have for trade. The trading in diablo was much like the real trades we do in life. We all loved that aspect. We dont want to play a game where we have less choices than what felt amazing. You kicked the only guy that was against that... now bring it back.

trading, dueling with fear of players in the game before even joining (due to level/ names)

gL... I hardly play more than 5-10 minutes every one and then now.
I used to play 1-2 hours a day almost everyday. Even more, sometimes.

yes you're improving... kicking the barrier that was on the top of the pyramid was also a step forward.

We all hope the best is yet to come...
Reply Quote
66 Goblin Shaman
I can't login in , its say need dowloading agreement ..
Reply Quote
If only we could travel between Acts freely >_< this +1
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 06:17 PMPosted by wolfwing
Anyway, since Monster Power does exist, it seems to make a lot of sense to simply tie monster density into the MP system. Lower density at MP0 and higher density at MP10. Nothing too crazy, but maybe a ~25% difference between the current setting on either end

I actually think this is the wrong idea. I rather have monster density overall just become a little greater in the other acts in Inferno. I think it's more fun to try and kill hordes of weaker enemies than just a few stronger ones. If we tie monster density to MP, which will also make them stonger. All you have done is just added another layer of difficulty.
Reply Quote
here is my thoughts on mob density and this forum is an excellent place to share it. i do agree that mob density is part of the fun in diablo 3 and should be heightened in the acts 1,2 and 4. being able to smash through countless monsters appeals to almost everyone who plays this game. many of you commented on another forum that jar of souls was one of your favorite events within the game and going off of this, this is almost definatelely solely not my idea, but since blizzard has postponed pvp, an introduction of a multi player survival endless mode should be added to the game with multiple landscapes from which to choose. in this survival mode a player and his allies would face endless waves of monsters that get harder both health and damage wise as the players progress. the key? to survive. i think that this would be a great addition to the game and it would allow the hack and slash swarms that people are yearning. i hope a blue at least glances at this post because i think it would be a great idea to draw in new players and give those who already play a chance to test real skill. i'm sure they could even add mp to it! therre would have to be restrictions of course as to xp and maybe drop rate.
Reply Quote
People who want mob density to be higher are the ones capable of doing mp 10 with their eyes closed.

These people want to earn good cash, because frankly, more mobs = more chance of loot dropping, these people also don't want a hassle to run around for 10mins and only killing 10 packs of mobs....

What they want is an army of demons continuously rushing towards them while they use their infinite resource skills to slaughter them, without even moving.

This mob density option, if there's no limit, it will create a damaging gap for people who don't currently have the gear. People who don't have the gear will never have enough $/gold to buy the best in slot gears with highest roll, because those items will be forever at the highest possible B/O price, while whatever they farm(with low mob density) will never sell in the AH.

In short, implementing this 'mob density' option will end up in a familiar scenario in the real world: The rich gets richer; the poor gets poorer.

Even if that is fine in Blizzard's eyes, the gameplay will get boring, and people will start quitting after they are sick of spamming the same spells non-stop for 15mins.

I mean, how lazy can people get? I know it sucks to run around in a maze trying to find mobs, but i think it is fine, it's like a tiny balance. You have infinite resources, but not everyone, that 5seconds of running around without any mob is actually a good space of time for people with less gears to regain some of their depleted resource.

What you're saying is at least partially false. I play on hardcore mode and can by no means safely kill anything in MP10. I still want higher monster density. I simply enjoy killing large amounts of monsters. It's not all about loot. I think people would like this even if Blizzard made no more loot drop than before.
Edited by Friendzie#1703 on 1/26/2013 3:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
OP, I don't understand your point at all. Of course I want more density. Why is this a problem? Look back to the early vids from D3 development, which show a barb threatened with being overrun by undead. That was one of the first videos that really excited me about D3. That's the point of games like these, to feel heroic, and feel like you're a champion overcoming a tide of evil. In a word - awesome.

Wading through a sea of enemies is a hell of a lot of fun, and the only time I really get to feel like this is if I pull half the map in the Fields of Slaughter. There's a long way to go to make this feel like a real Diablo experience, imo. What we have is a fairly good start, but itemization is one issue that sorely needs to be addressed. Right after that, I think mob density would be a good choice. When I need to run half a map to find something to kill besides a barrel, the pacing of the game is lost.

I understand sometimes this might be a director's decision to build up anticipation before something climactic, but this doesn't appear to be the case in the vast majority of empty zones in this game. One could argue that it isn't a problem on lower difficulty settings, but come Inferno, I expect to be cutting my way through the thick, not scratching my head wondering why everyone is calling it a demon "invasion" when I can't for the life of me find more than three of the buggers on a screen.
Reply Quote
NV needs to do more than just follow through acts with you.

The easy solve for not having to finish an act with quests to keep the stacks would be, to have single player games have the same state as playing in a party would. So long as you don't leave the party you keep your stacks.

The only thing that should make you lose your stacks is the 30 minute timer.

THAT I would be happy with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]