Diablo® III

Monster density: Let's be honest

What we should be getting is the waypoint system where all the waypoints are available to you once you beat a game in a dificulty. We dont need any aditional monster density if you can go to each act and pick the best zones for a farming run...

I would totally love to pick my stacks at the festering woods/Cementary of Forsaken in act 1, take a waypoint over to Black Canyon--> Road to Alcarnus--> Vault of the Assasin in act2, go to act 3 and do what I do and maybe consider act 4...

The persisdent NV is useless because no one wants to be help up by the chains of forced story and quests... Even if my act 3 run already starts at beating Azmodan i will not take the time to kill him to go to act 4; in that same time i could pick up 5 stacks and go back to farming act 3.... Whats worse killing the boss takes a long time and the drops suck (a change brought by the devs).

Bring back open world maybe bring back the moo moo farm....
Edited by Chromium#1424 on 1/26/2013 6:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
NV sticking between acts would be great if we could just walk over to the town portal and go between acts.. Having to follow the story just doesnt work IMHO.
Reply Quote
The whole 'picking mob density' thing is such a waste of an idea.

Nobody is going to pick the low density so it's just a waste of dev time.

Please don't consider this, just consider what balance would be FUN and keep us entertained not bored. Thanks
Reply Quote
mob density in act 3 isnt what it used to be,and i go as far as saying that blizzard is toning down mob density because there are less players playing the game.. but since 1.0.7 ptr the mob density actually augmented a bit but still far less then was previously around the time of patch 1.0.3 and 1.0.4

please blizzard make it happen in all acts

do a jay wilson and double the mob density
Reply Quote
The whole 'picking mob density' thing is such a waste of an idea.

Nobody is going to pick the low density so it's just a waste of dev time.

Please don't consider this, just consider what balance would be FUN and keep us entertained not bored. Thanks

I disagree with this,

people will play lower densities all the way to the higher densities.

because of the MP system. lets say im farming mp 6, but mp 7 is just a little too tedious, one way to make the game more challenging with out adding a ton of HP / Dmg to the mobs im fighting is to just make more of the same mobs that im fighting. it make logical sense.

so i can seriously see this being a good way to compliment the MP system.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Grimiku
In patch 1.0.7 Nephalem Valor will persist between Acts. This is just one of many possible features that should provide some incentive for some players to farm areas they normally don’t. I know I will personally see Act 4 a little more as a direct result, but we're still seeing how it's being received by players on the PTR before we have a good idea on how much it’s helping. That said, Nephalem Valor persisting through Acts is just one step, and there are still lots of options and ideas we are exploring to improve this part of the game.

Unless your removing the linear bs that d3 is, this'll do little. It's a step in the right direction, but you guys need to make wps accessible to all acts at any givin time and have all bosses up.
Reply Quote
When is the 1.0.7 gonna be released? I know the PTR one but the normal one?
Reply Quote
I would chose the highest mob density and farm desolate sands and dalghur oasis. Faceroll everything with my wizard.
That would be fun but imbalanced. It would render higher mps even more useless.
Having nephalem stacks over acts helps with nothing, even with waypoints. At this moment, no one kills azmodan, everyone takes a specific route that excludes bosses, just because they are too far and it is not worth it.
Also, if nephalem would the only thing kept between acts, that means you'll have to go through the entire act since you start with the first quest, and that's meaningless.
Edited by Celestialray#2190 on 1/27/2013 2:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Indeed A3 is a more viable farming location due to mob density.

However, are you referring to general mobs or elite packs in regards to density? I only ask this question because when I make NV runs, I find Act 1 to be the quickest. Hit the Festering Woods and the two dungeons there and you are at NV 4 within a few minutes (not including actual fighting time, of course). If you are lucky enough to catch the event within the middle odf the woods that spawns aften enough, you have NV 5 in literally 10 or so minutes (again, not counting the actual fighting time due to kiting, etc.). Getting NV 5 in Act 2 takes a really really long time as there doesn't seem to be a great concentration of elites without covering a lot or terrain to do so. In Act 3, it is between A1 and A2 in terms of time - but i find it to be closer to the time it takes to make the 5 stacks in A2.

So, I notice density for NV stacks and elite packs within distance of each other at the greatest potential in Act 1 - specifically the Festering Woods. (Note to Blizzard - no nerfing of this area please...)

However, to keep on topic, in terms of plain old hack-and-slash general mobs, nothing beats A3. And since a Blue posted here, please consider this for A4 farming as hopefully it can be a choice soon: density only exists really in the spires - unless you run through the actual quests from the beginning of the act in order to catch mobs in the hell rift (although there aren't elites in the rifts, are there?).

When NV stacking and farming in A1, A2, and A3, we usually choose the last quest and just run through - no need to NV farm (or farm in general) in A4.

If mob density control is to be a choice, I would think it should be a separate option from MP level and not tied to it. I think also that rewards whould scale with the density - obviously the more you fight, the more you have the potential of dying and the more rewards should be because of it. however, you get a WW barb or a freezing wizard or a stun grenade DH and mob density is really not a big deal so the scale of rewards should not be an exponential thing. I think it would be tough to make monster density choice and reward scale amicable to everyone...this balance seems a bit tough...
Edited by Myrmidon#1640 on 1/27/2013 6:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
if you think about it. it is a net buff if they nerf monster density in act 3. NV will carry over now.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 06:02 AMPosted by aztecwarrior
if you think about it. it is a net buff if they nerf monster density in act 3. NV will carry over now.

This is only important if you are running through the quests or are a first timer through Inferno or want an extra item from the first boss in A4...otherwise carying NV from act to act doesn't affect the general farm grind - I do not see a net buff in it...
Reply Quote
I will definitely be playing through the end of ACT 3 to get to farm 4! This is going to be good.
Reply Quote
I wonder if the mere adjustment to having Nephalem Valor persist between acts would inspire farming of Acts 2 & 4 far more often

In patch 1.0.7 Nephalem Valor will persist between Acts. This is just one of many possible features that should provide some incentive for some players to farm areas they normally don’t. I know I will personally see Act 4 a little more as a direct result, but we're still seeing how it's being received by players on the PTR before we have a good idea on how much it’s helping. That said, Nephalem Valor persisting through Acts is just one step, and there are still lots of options and ideas we are exploring to improve this part of the game.

and to clarify: To move between Acts you must follow the storyline of defeating the main Boss of that Act? (Butcher, Belial, Azmo).

In other words, are we unable to move between acts without having to defeat those bosses/completing the end quests?

/Crosses fingers for cross act waypoints!
Reply Quote
mob density option is a waste fo time!! everyone wants more density of mobs so better increase dem all and thats it.

no one on they sane mind would want less monsters when in fact we want MORE things to kill.
Reply Quote
if someone said this before oh well.

I love the idea of mob density. i was actually going to write a post myself requesting it.

will it help with farming? sure ( 99% of all drops get vendored, and i refuse to pick up blues anymore ) so im just going to be vendoring more garbage.

will it help with leveling Paragon, yes ( other than more MF, which really does nothing except make more blues drop instead of whites - which i dont pick up anyway ) who really cares about Paragon.

I want more Mob density, because one main reason...

The most fun i get out of this game is when i find a room with 50+ mobs in it and i get to go to town and destroy !@#$. Those ( rare ) instances in this game are what make me play. If i could turn a leaver up that allows me to fulfill that enjoyment than please Bliz let me be able to do that.

Because lets be honest, this game sucks otherwise.

Im personally not looking forward to dueling, because its going to be ludicrous. You are going to have people with 300k + dps destroying everyone. and folks like me 200k dps, are going to be murdering everyone lower than that. Then the class balance issues... there is no class balance.... yeah its just not looking like something i care about.

So to reiterate;

farming in this game sucks, because only about 1% of the people that play this game ever get good drops.

Dueling is going to suck, because there are no rewards for pwning people, and if you are the one getting pwned. where is the fun in that?

Crafting is a joke, because it cost too GD much money to make %^-* that is just going to be vendored.

So really, what else do we have?

Allow us be able to control the density of mobs, all the way up to ludicrous levels, so it will help add challenge and excitement to the game.

Im all for adding a little fun to the game :)
I was with this drivel until you started bashing the game.

Farming sucks because you have to farm well or be lucky? It was like that in D2. Unless of course, you botted. People didn't find Zod runes, or Mavina's Diadem, or Grandfather swords. They traded for them, and 99% were dupes. Grats on making a fallacy.

Dueling is going to suck? Because you're entitled? Of course it has no rewards, that was stated up front. Why do you need a reward for bashing someone else in PvP? D2 duels had no rewards, and yet people still found it enjoyable.

Crafting sucks? Yeah, it's not the greatest. But people sent MILLIONS of gold in D2 gambling and just ended up vendoring 99% of it. The difference I think you see? You could pick up one blue weapon in D2, and have a go at lots of gambles. In D3, gold actually means something.

If you think Diablo 3 sucks, just stop playing. There's plenty of other games out there.
Reply Quote
OP, I don't understand your point at all. Of course I want more density. Why is this a problem? Look back to the early vids from D3 development, which show a barb threatened with being overrun by undead. That was one of the first videos that really excited me about D3. That's the point of games like these, to feel heroic, and feel like you're a champion overcoming a tide of evil. In a word - awesome.

Wading through a sea of enemies is a hell of a lot of fun, and the only time I really get to feel like this is if I pull half the map in the Fields of Slaughter. There's a long way to go to make this feel like a real Diablo experience, imo. What we have is a fairly good start, but itemization is one issue that sorely needs to be addressed. Right after that, I think mob density would be a good choice. When I need to run half a map to find something to kill besides a barrel, the pacing of the game is lost.

I understand sometimes this might be a director's decision to build up anticipation before something climactic, but this doesn't appear to be the case in the vast majority of empty zones in this game. One could argue that it isn't a problem on lower difficulty settings, but come Inferno, I expect to be cutting my way through the thick, not scratching my head wondering why everyone is calling it a demon "invasion" when I can't for the life of me find more than three of the buggers on a screen.

i would love sea of monsters like L10 in this mock-up :)
http://bayimg.com/NAjmIaAea

and this is composite to see the difference between various levels :)
http://bayimg.com/oajMeAaEA
Reply Quote
It would be great if we kill Diablo in act 4 last quest
he will drops 100% legendary items. that's improvement for repeating the act 1 through act 4
Reply Quote
Has anyone else noticed that when you activate a shrine it seems like you don't run into anything until the timer is almost up? :)
Reply Quote
why not raise mob density with monster power levels. this would help mitigate people abusing an option to get better loot by making it more difficult to kill the monsters. It might also make it so people would strive to be able to farm higher mp's instead of grinding 0 over and over till they hit paragon 100 and only doing mp10 for ubers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]