Diablo® III

Monster density: Let's be honest

I wonder if the mere adjustment to having Nephalem Valor persist between acts would inspire farming of Acts 2 & 4 far more often

In patch 1.0.7 Nephalem Valor will persist between Acts. This is just one of many possible features that should provide some incentive for some players to farm areas they normally don’t. I know I will personally see Act 4 a little more as a direct result, but we're still seeing how it's being received by players on the PTR before we have a good idea on how much it’s helping. That said, Nephalem Valor persisting through Acts is just one step, and there are still lots of options and ideas we are exploring to improve this part of the game.

What about Nephalem Valor stacks when changing skills? Losing your five stack just because you changed skills always seemed fairly silly to me as well. You guys are trying to promote build diversity and yet players are penalised for changing skills mid game!
Reply Quote
I believe having NV buffs persisting through acts is a good idea, but it wouldn't be enough of an incentive to farm other acts, unless you also allow (assuming that the char a player plays with has already completed the quest lines) for the player to freely move through the acts via WP's, because it will be too inconvenient otherwise. I wouldn't want to "farm" an act having to go through all the side quests AGAIN.
Edited by Yuu#1414 on 1/27/2013 5:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 04:49 PMPosted by Joemama
why not raise mob density with monster power levels. this would help mitigate people abusing an option to get better loot by making it more difficult to kill the monsters. It might also make it so people would strive to be able to farm higher mp's instead of grinding 0 over and over till they hit paragon 100 and only doing mp10 for ubers.

i'd rather have it separate from mp, the md goal here is to have fun slaughtering hordes of demons, plowing through them with ease, and thats not achievable if its tied to mp.
game shouldn't feel empty at any point, even casual players want a sea of monsters :)

the problem of more monsters = more drops making higher mp less desirable than higher md is solved very easily:
-each md level increases monster density
-each md level decreases loot drop chance in proportion to increased density
-in the end overall loot drop chance remains same through all md levels
Edited by Grave#2119 on 1/27/2013 5:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
I confess I didn't read every post in here so maybe this has been raised, but how about NV starting earlier than 60? You basically find out your a Nephalem in Act 1 Drowned Temple the first time though.

NV on all characters after your first has hit 60?
Only if you have mp enabled?

I just say as it's depressing to be leveling without the mf/gf/exp bonus...and of course getting the lame drops that forever persist in the game.

Even in HC leveling 5 toons at once to make the most of the 2 yellows per boss by sharing the wealth there is just so much over priced stuff on AH that is just inaccesable unless you have been farming at 60 and got lucky with a few 100mill+ ledgendaries or resorted to RMAH/gold sellers.

Wouldn't a large infux of near perfect items drive prices down in a massive undercutting war between sellers without destroying the RMAH revenue source which would still see trade in perfect rolls. A much larger volume of smaller value sales wouldn't hurt with the $1 fee to blizzard remaining the same regardless of it being a $1.25 sale or a $250 sale?
Reply Quote
If only we could travel between Acts freely >_<

this^^^
Reply Quote
Adding another 3million white trash mobs and 500k elites to my screen would not make the game more challenging or fun. It would simply make it more boring and even MORE of a grind/farm fest. There wouldn't be any challenge to it, you would be NERFING inferno even more. This game is bloody easy, you can play it with 1 hand in your pants and 1 hand on the keyboard while blind folded mp10 without using a barb WHILE in yellows/blues not to mention. All the little 13-16year old kids still crying about inferno being difficult and takes too much thinking and they just want to faceroll even more than what they already are. Put inferno back to what it use to be x10 and lower drop rates. That would be a more fun game to me
Reply Quote
can i go from a3 back to a2? i didn't see the npc
and moreover, when start fighting the boss, the passing movie should be hidden, it waste time to see again and again and again and again...
Reply Quote
Can I suggest on top of Nephalem Valor carry over between Acts, to also increase the stack by one per Act (so NV cap at 5 for Act 1, 6 for Act 2, 7 for Act 3 and 8 for Act 4).

NV7 for Act 3 maybe a bit too much of a buff but I personally will love it!

I think this will solve a lot of grief with monster density which is a whole other discussion, and tie the RPG aspect with farming very well.
Reply Quote

I wonder if the mere adjustment to having Nephalem Valor persist between acts would inspire farming of Acts 2 & 4 far more often

In patch 1.0.7 Nephalem Valor will persist between Acts. This is just one of many possible features that should provide some incentive for some players to farm areas they normally don’t. I know I will personally see Act 4 a little more as a direct result, but we're still seeing how it's being received by players on the PTR before we have a good idea on how much it’s helping. That said, Nephalem Valor persisting through Acts is just one step, and there are still lots of options and ideas we are exploring to improve this part of the game.

Actually it would be great to be able to travel from Act to Act without having to exit the game.... This will be a great feature to have.
Reply Quote

Well how many times do people playing this game have to state the obvious....!! The drops aren't worth farming!! I have read over and over about the time spent farming not to get anything good let alone godly. Plus there is no shortage of people who in general chat would agree that the Legendary drops are bad. The simple fact that a lot of players see this game as a PAY TO WIN GAME because the drops wont ever drop because they feel that is the way the game was made..
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 01:26 PMPosted by Ashur
I would like to see more mob density throughout the whole game. This isn't even close in comparison to Diablo 2. I do enjoy D3, but there just isnt' enough monsters IMHO. I'd love the feel of epic amounts of killing and bodies piling up. Fighting through any of the current acts doesn't give the epic feel of mass slaughtering. The more monsters the happier i'll be!!!

+1 on this one. Not just that, but I want an epic cow level. I'm sorry, but the ponies never did anything for me. I want to slaughter some beef. Or maybe an epic chicken level.

It does not matter. It just needs to be epic farm slaughter.
Reply Quote
I like the chicken lvl idea, maybe pigs too lol.. what happens to them when you hex them?

eggs and bacon maybe?
Edited by Dirk#1799 on 1/28/2013 6:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think there are multiple reasons behind the desire for scaling monster density for the players who are asking for it. The first one that comes to mind is not the self-serving need to squeak out insane farming efficiency (there are some who seem to definitely want this), but the desire to feel that they are not losing efficiency when farming anything other than Act III. We definitely want people to farm multiple Acts, so we are discussing options to achieve that goal.

Your ideas on the subject are certainly welcome (in fact, the question of "what mob density would you choose?" is a great one to debate) and we hope that you will continue post them.

My Barb's fury should not, ever, drain to empty while I'm running from pack to pack.
My WD should not be face pulling enough mobs into one spot to get buffs up.
Edited by Strauss#1858 on 1/28/2013 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
01/25/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Grimiku

It's a good thing this is occurring, as I'm not sure there was any way to kill Iskatu with five stacks. I mean, if you start farther along, get your five stacks, then return to that spot, he's likely not alive anymore, and there wasn't anything to give you five stacks when you first get to Act 4.

All in all, though, I'll likely be extending what I've learned from doing Alkaizer Runs (starting with Core, Towers, Keeps, go for a key, etc.), take it through to killing Azmodan, and then go through as much of Act 4 as I can.

Looking forward to the patch, most certainly. And higher Monster Density in some way would be great...voting for some kind of control that works like Monster Power, some kind of setting...might be hard to implement but it'd definitely be cool for people to have one more thing they can use to fine tune their experience to how they like it.
Reply Quote
I have always error (1440) and cant not play for 2 days.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Grimiku

With this in mind, all Acts should be available, as tabs, to teleport to through the Waypoints. So pretty much bring back the functionality of the Waypoints as they were in D2. You found the Waypoint at one point in time? You have it forever now and can bounce to it from any point in the game. All bosses are spawned in a new game. This would eliminate the Quest setting. And you'd always spawn in New Tristram when you start a new game. Take the way point to wherever you want, in any Act.
Reply Quote

By this I take it that means I have to exit the game and then start a new one in a different act?

Assuming I am right (which is sometimes a lot) I will tell you that doesn't really fix the underlying issue, which is moving between acts is not possible. Not being able to move between acts interupts the flow of the game. While for some people this is ok, for some it is not and detracts from a game being lots of fun. I don't mean that as a bash on the game just as a reality. I can understand that maybe making such a radical change is not possible from Blizz's viewpoint because of a required time commitment to do such a change. However I also understand you will never win over a certain % of players until such a change happens.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7789898914#1

This link contains an idea that not satisfies the monster density idealist, but gives a proper endgame for Diablo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]