Diablo® III

Monster density: Let's be honest

people would appreciate higher mob density simply for the sake of their being more action on the screen.
There are many places in the game where there simply aren't enough monsters, AT ALL. you can walk entire lengths of space and see NOTHING or VERY LITTLE.

when you run through 10+ screens without encountering a single monster something is definitely not right, for an action game

fix number 1: fill the empty areas with monster spawns

fix number 2: add "monster horde" option right next to monster power
-each level increases monster density
scaling could by similar to monster health in monster power:
L1 - 150% density (so instead of 10 monsters you get 15)
L10- 3500% density (so instead of 10 monsters you get 350)
that would be amazing gorefest and bloodbath :)
-each level could also increase number of elites in one pack
Reply Quote
Even if I'm not getting good drops and have maxed out my levels, I am happiest slaughtering mass groups of mobs. It is rewarding in its own right.
Reply Quote
Just pack the darn screen with monsters so we can barely move. That would make me a little happier.

Last night, logged in,.... chkd AH nothing sold. I thought: "what should I do?, exp? keys? ubers?"

'sigh'

... and I logged out. This morning was the same. Why do I even bother when the game has so many issues and those band aid patches will not fix it.

Hopefully in a couple of years the expansion will take good care of it.
Reply Quote
lack of monsters in a game about killing monsters=fail
Reply Quote
Its not about mob density in general, i think you've misread the posts about this.

Its more about getting the mob density in a1/a2 to the same level it is in a3. Making a1/a2 viable options for farming

I think the reason act 3 has such dense monster packs is because most of it is very linear with little room for exploration which kind of creates scenario where all the monsters funnel toward the player. With all their wide and open fields it seems as if it could be difficult to give act 1 and 2 similar density with out completely overshadowing act 3.
Edited by Malevo#1666 on 1/23/2013 12:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Its not about mob density in general, i think you've misread the posts about this.

Its more about getting the mob density in a1/a2 to the same level it is in a3. Making a1/a2 viable options for farming

This.

I just can't bring myself to play A1 or A2. All I have to do is imagine myself wandering around an empty Dahlgur Oasis or Desolate Sands trying to find a dungeon that ISNT empty, or the kw. Or I can just play A3 and start killing hordes of monsters immediately. It's an issue and hopefully it will be addressed in the patch after this.

The sliding scale of density is an interesting idea, but it's not really needed, the density in A3 is fine.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 12:21 PMPosted by Vorador
wandering around an empty Dahlgur Oasis or Desolate Sands

Wtf?? Why it empty? These places are pretty packed with mobs when I play the game. You are referring to elites cause you want their stax and loots I'm guessing? The vault is packed with elites.
Reply Quote
I actually vote for increased mob density in A1 and maybe a little more in A2, but the reason is because I can literally walk half a dungeon and not encounter a single enemy. They will sometimes pop up behind me, but usually its not an enemy that will slow me down, even if I'm on one of my lower level chars on a monster power.
Reply Quote
I want mob density increased even in certain parts of act 3. I don't want to run into dead ends with no mobs for several seconds at a time. If things are being killed things aren't being fun. Of course people want something that's in their best interest, I don't think stating the obvious deflects the need for better mob density throughout the game. If balancing is a concern (and it should be) then make the mobs deal more damage, make them move faster, make them feel like more than the next lottery ticket waiting to be scratched. But give us more lottery tickets!
Reply Quote
WW barbs who want to farm 50+ mobs at once to just grind paragon levels like mindless zombies so they can then brag about their players icon.

I ain't bragging about my lame a$$ P100 Icon... I think it looks like Horse Crap compared to the P90 Icon. :(
Reply Quote
+1
More monsters = easier gameplay because of the builds out there.

Blizzard can accomplish the same rewards by simply scaling up the XP and drop rates of monsters in less clustered areas.
Ideally 10 minutes of farming Act 3 dense areas would offer roughly the same rewards as 10 minutes of farming the least dense areas of other acts.
Reply Quote
You make a great case here...

I have to imagine, though...we already have Monster Power, that allows players to control the HP and strength of monsters they encounter, whereby raising it and successfully killing stronger monsters gets you more XP and MF. And people are suggesting that they also add some kind of an adjustment button/bar/whatever to control Monster Density...

Honestly, they add a Monster Density control, and maybe one other thing for players to control...

Will anyone be concerned with "mods" at that point? They'd basically be able to customize the entire game, :-)
Reply Quote

This 100%. One of the problems that burned me out on D3 was Act 3 being the holy grail of farming. Eventually you just do Alk runs and the game just gets so boring. Bringing mob density in acts 1 & 2 so they can be on par with act 3 and they open up the entire game for farming.

If they do this and work on the terrible RNG farming just might be fun again.
Reply Quote
You make a great case here...

I have to imagine, though...we already have Monster Power, that allows players to control the HP and strength of monsters they encounter, whereby raising it and successfully killing stronger monsters gets you more XP and MF. And people are suggesting that they also add some kind of an adjustment button/bar/whatever to control Monster Density...

Honestly, they add a Monster Density control, and maybe one other thing for players to control...

Will anyone be concerned with "mods" at that point? They'd basically be able to customize the entire game, :-)

exactly, some ppl want to kill lots of monsters everywhere, others prefer few tough monsters.
with "monster power" you can control toughness
now "monster horde" would add ability to control density
making both groups happy, because they can adjust the game to their preferences :)
Reply Quote
as I said in other thread, they should revamp density in act 1 and 2 on INFERNO mode

if you dont like this idea just go to hell =)

but hell has an even lower mob density
Reply Quote

- Enemies just get in the way of each others. It is quite amusing how a few highly mobile mobs in act 2 can get you in trouble, but the hordes appearing in act 3 simply don't have enough space to move and simply get slaughtered.

They are in a cave with ton of door; you know that, rigth ?

More freakin monsters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!(but in act 1 & 2 only).
Edited by papryaka#1935 on 1/23/2013 3:37 PM PST
Reply Quote

agreed
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 02:50 AMPosted by Miguelitro
Agreed on the points of A1/2/4 needing a higher density, walking around the desert seeing absolutely nothing sucks. But even then, I think there is more to balance if we want all acts to be farmed equally. The monsters in acts 2 and 4, for instance, are a PITA, specially the lame phasechanging snakes, while those in acts 1 and 3 are generally clumsy, slow, and don't do much besides waddling around taking damage...

wish granted. A1/A3 will now have more bees and phaseshifting snakes and burrowers.
Reply Quote
I would really not change the density in monster for act1/act2 because the environment design. Come, think this way, if the field is full of walking dead it would be so much easier to kill them with fire and we don't need a hero to kill them all (this is act1). Now for act2, its in a desert, monster like you and me don't like the hot environment, no food, no water, nothing. Why would you want to say there? The later have of the map is coved in guardian's that does not die but can be destroyed. Having more of these "guardian's" doesn' help as most of them don't drop anything.

But monster in act4 must be at least tripled, because it is the full force of hell and the last act.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]