Diablo® III

Monster density: Let's be honest

Personally, I feel that before trying to bring up overall density, it might be a good idea to address some of the 'low points'. Some of the random dungeons are basically EMPTY... I've noticed it in Act II in particular. Places like the Sirocco Caverns and the Cave of Burrowing Horror are sometimes all but deserted, with only the wall-mounted slime-spitters and occasional clouds of bats rising from the pits to give you SOMETHING to hit, albeit briefly. You can spend a long time exploring those caves without meeting anything that even slows you down.

Heck, last time I hit Sirocco Caverns, even the second floor - which is supposed to have some tough mobs guarding the requisite Resplendent Chest - contained nothing but a SINGLE MOB of bats, albeit led by a Rare.

See, the thing is, 'Density' is mostly a concern to people who actually farm, but densities THAT low are a concern even to people who are just playing through the acts... because it's really, really BORING not to have anything to hit for ten minutes or more.

So how 'bout starting by looking at the areas and dungeons that generally have extremely low monster-density, and racketing that up to a normal level first?
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 11:48 PMPosted by chrisloup
either go open world
Reply Quote
they should make killing bosses viable again after lets say you killed a certain amount.
of elite packs and mobs in general to give them more % chance to drop lets say
random legendary. other ten that i agree that increased monster density in other.
acts is a idea that i do support. best regards from the Eu.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I'm sure it would be nice for farming, but when you lay a Seismic Slam into a group of 40 skeleton dudes and you absolutely wreck their SH!T, yes....this makes makes me drool and laugh like a madman when playing this game. Its like a field goal in the pants.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 10:51 PMPosted by Grimiku
Your ideas on the subject are certainly welcome (in fact, the question of "what mob density would you choose?" is a great one to debate) and we hope that you will continue post them.

I'd choose the highest one available, meaning Act3 mob density. Simply because D3 is anout slaying monsters, not searching for monsters to slay.
Reply Quote
Yeah, Diablo was always about constant action with dozens of mobs on screen.

Most of D3 i have to look for something to kill(SEWERS IN ACT2 HAVE LIKE 3 SKELETONS IN THEM, WHAT THE HELL?).

Mega-boring.
Reply Quote
I personally find 'bursts' of high-density monster regions - when frequently occurring - by far the most satisfying.

For example, Keep Level 2, you take a short traversing break between areas of super high density rooms, with some near empty rooms, only to encounter another super dense region again. I think psychologically, this is a far more satisfying way to distribute an identical amount of monsters. I.e if 200 monsters are to be distributed in X zone of Y size, the most satisfying way from a gameplay perspective is having them really bunched up with minor, digestible breaks in between; this way there is no self-serving crazy amounts of monsters just packed into every inch of the map, but stays true to a balanced number.

So instead of having the 200 or so monsters distributed in a way that you encounter 10 at a time - 20 different times (which feels underwhelming), have packs of 50. Or something to this effect.

Applying a similar method to Act I and Act II like the tombs levels and Leoric's Manor (fantastic places to encounter, it is so awesome seeing the monsters charge you in hordes) THROUGHOUT the rest of the act, so there are high density areas all over would be amazing.

I'm sure others can come up with some fantastic distribution models but I personally feel this is the most satisfying thing. I also like mini breaks between crazy intense and dense fights to just sort of soak in the silence/aftermath, then move on - and in 5-10 seconds I'm back to another group of 50. I literally adore Keep level 2 for this reason, and I think it was voted #1 zone partly because of this also.

THIS is spot on. For entertainment purposes of mob density, that is it. Well done for realising this about the human brain. lol

I would like to see monster density to be used more thematically within the acts... here is an example of what I would consider an exciting experience. Let's take Lord of the Rings, Mines of Moria or... the goblin town inside the mountains in The Hobbit. These places are seemingly.... empty... areas of the world. However, when something stirs within the deep - the monsters just POUR out of every hole, every crevice. This creates a sense of panic, because the monsters just don't stop. I have never experienced something like this in diablo 3, and that deeply saddens me - because it is the perfect environment for such an experience.I recall seeing the very first gameplay preview of d3 of the barbarian. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byy723gTSQQ) At around 1 minute, the monsters just don't seem to stop coming... and THIS. THIS. Is what I want to experience. Why have I never had this experience in diablo 3?

This is a GREAT idea too. Just for how some things should be in a Diablo world....

Battling the depths of hell anyone?
Reply Quote
This is a constructive forum post - I do alot of act 3 - but I am discovering good mobs in the assassins vault. sometimes I just farm the other acts - I found my ammy in act 1 - fields of misery.

It would be cool as a Mod - to increase density - especially those crabs in act 3 - I could do a whole run on arreats crater 2 - just killing those guys.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Warrior
People who want mob density to be higher are the ones capable of doing mp 10 with their eyes closed.

These people want to earn good cash, because frankly, more mobs = more chance of loot dropping, these people also don't want a hassle to run around for 10mins and only killing 10 packs of mobs....

What they want is an army of demons continuously rushing towards them while they use their infinite resource skills to slaughter them, without even moving.

This mob density option, if there's no limit, it will create a damaging gap for people who don't currently have the gear. People who don't have the gear will never have enough $/gold to buy the best in slot gears with highest roll, because those items will be forever at the highest possible B/O price, while whatever they farm(with low mob density) will never sell in the AH.

In short, implementing this 'mob density' option will end up in a familiar scenario in the real world: The rich gets richer; the poor gets poorer.

Even if that is fine in Blizzard's eyes, the gameplay will get boring, and people will start quitting after they are sick of spamming the same spells non-stop for 15mins.

I mean, how lazy can people get? I know it sucks to run around in a maze trying to find mobs, but i think it is fine, it's like a tiny balance. You have infinite resources, but not everyone, that 5seconds of running around without any mob is actually a good space of time for people with less gears to regain some of their depleted resource.
Edited by Marc#1660 on 1/24/2013 4:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
The mob density of the cow level in d2 is a good target to reach for.

Killing hordes of monsters is fun.
Being terrified of an approaching wall of death is fun.

If you look at a skill like corpse explosion in d2, how viable would that be in d3? The answer is, not very - because the mobs aren't packed enough. Part of that also has to do with a seemingly greater aggro range in d2, along with mobs that seem to pursue you longer (and more predictably), and are able to stack on top of each other better and attack.
Reply Quote
I would rather have reduced chance of dropping good items and more things to kill.

I get bored of running lengths at a time without finding a monster to kill, and if it is only one monster it is not worth killing it.

I understand that the balance of things change when mob density is increased, so punish me for it in some way or form, I don't care, just don't tell me what you are doing to punish me and make it so that playing the game with 10 times more mobs is just as rewarding as playing it without any increase in mob density.

I am not being self-serving, I just want mobs worth killing. I openly and fully accept that the balance of the game will need to shift to compensate, but I want the shift to happen.
Reply Quote
Hmmmmm.....Monster Density

And the most popular quest is Jar of Souls due to the Monster Density and "oh s**t" factor.

If they increase the density of monsters for quests (and increase the number of quests), would that work?
Reply Quote
I personally find 'bursts' of high-density monster regions - when frequently occurring - by far the most satisfying.

For example, Keep Level 2, you take a short traversing break between areas of super high density rooms, with some near empty rooms, only to encounter another super dense region again. I think psychologically, this is a far more satisfying way to distribute an identical amount of monsters. I.e if 200 monsters are to be distributed in X zone of Y size, the most satisfying way from a gameplay perspective is having them really bunched up with minor, digestible breaks in between; this way there is no self-serving crazy amounts of monsters just packed into every inch of the map, but stays true to a balanced number.

So instead of having the 200 or so monsters distributed in a way that you encounter 10 at a time - 20 different times (which feels underwhelming), have packs of 50. Or something to this effect.

Applying a similar method to Act I and Act II like the tombs levels and Leoric's Manor (fantastic places to encounter, it is so awesome seeing the monsters charge you in hordes) THROUGHOUT the rest of the act, so there are high density areas all over would be amazing.

I'm sure others can come up with some fantastic distribution models but I personally feel this is the most satisfying thing. I also like mini breaks between crazy intense and dense fights to just sort of soak in the silence/aftermath, then move on - and in 5-10 seconds I'm back to another group of 50. I literally adore Keep level 2 for this reason, and I think it was voted #1 zone partly because of this also.

THIS is spot on. For entertainment purposes of mob density, that is it. Well done for realising this about the human brain. lol

I would like to see monster density to be used more thematically within the acts... here is an example of what I would consider an exciting experience. Let's take Lord of the Rings, Mines of Moria or... the goblin town inside the mountains in The Hobbit. These places are seemingly.... empty... areas of the world. However, when something stirs within the deep - the monsters just POUR out of every hole, every crevice. This creates a sense of panic, because the monsters just don't stop. I have never experienced something like this in diablo 3, and that deeply saddens me - because it is the perfect environment for such an experience.I recall seeing the very first gameplay preview of d3 of the barbarian. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byy723gTSQQ) At around 1 minute, the monsters just don't seem to stop coming... and THIS. THIS. Is what I want to experience. Why have I never had this experience in diablo 3?

This is a GREAT idea too. Just for how some things should be in a Diablo world....

Battling the depths of hell anyone?

+1. So amazing!
Reply Quote
Act 3 farming over and over is boring for almost everyone.
So the option of mob density would be really interesting to most of the players imo.
But it should have to be with a similar option like we have now with Monster Power lvl 1-10 but still should be possible to play for example: Act 1 mp2 md(monster density) 5.

This would fix the problem with most players only doing Act 3 and for me personally would make Diablo 3 a really more enjoyable game as it is now as it would feel like I can play the others acts too without thinking about the fact "I might get more loot and xp if I play Act 3"

The only bad thing I can think of is that I might never stop playing the game and lose the little social life I have left right now. :D
Reply Quote
MD20 at Act 1 North gate....and grenades.......I'm ok with this.
Reply Quote
I really hope blizz is following this topic as it has some great ideas.
Reply Quote
Act 3 is a great act to farm, but personally I have been doing mp 10 for a while now and I have a good run in Act 1. There is a cave in the Fields of Misery where there are tons of "Night Mothers" (the ones that throw up the zombies) and they throw up zombie mobs 3-4 at a time. This creates a ton of mobs in a small area and theres also an event and gold chest on the 2nd level for more loot chances. Build your NV stacks in Festering Woods and then try this cave in the Fields of Misery. At the very least it will get some of you out of Act 3 and on something else for a while.
Reply Quote
I understand there still people refer less density for some farming purposes, sometimes me too.
How about if let us control the density in each Act just like monster level? Maybe it is difficult to implement?
Reply Quote
Get rid of the RMAH, then you wont care if there are "TOO" many guys to farm. This concepts go against everything diablo. Go look at good games like Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and POE.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 05:23 AMPosted by EAgle
Get rid of the RMAH, then you wont care if there are "TOO" many guys to farm. This concepts go against everything diablo. Go look at good games like Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and POE.

POE? 4 me trading suck... u will see soon many illegal website for trading item into cash... that cant be stopped~!
Item trading cannot be stopped.... if u want to stop it? make all item bound on pick up.... that all
Edited by muhai#6848 on 1/24/2013 5:31 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]