Diablo® III

Monster density: Let's be honest

I think there are multiple reasons behind the desire for scaling monster density for the players who are asking for it. The first one that comes to mind is not the self-serving need to squeak out insane farming efficiency (there are some who seem to definitely want this), but the desire to feel that they are not losing efficiency when farming anything other than Act III. We definitely want people to farm multiple Acts, so we are discussing options to achieve that goal.

Your ideas on the subject are certainly welcome (in fact, the question of "what mob density would you choose?" is a great one to debate) and we hope that you will continue post them.

Act3 already has a good monster density, so it's in no way a self-serving need to be more efficient. We can already do extremely efficient farming in A3, but you're moving the goalpost here trying to frame players wishing to have more variety in the game as selfish offenders. The point is that there's a lot of large open areas without monsters in it. Take the fields of misery, for instance. It's a vast open area, yet it seems completely desolate. You have to run for like 10-20 seconds before finding a monster pack, and when you actually manage to find them, it's a lame 5guys monster pack, or one of those lame treants that barely move. Compare that to the fields of slaughter and tell me which one you're more likely to visit.

And don't just stop at monster density. Monster generation should be randomized as well. Another element that builds onto the lack of variety is the fact that you'll always face the same kind of monsters on the same maps. It would be nice to have different kinds of possible spawns of monster sets every time you visit the same area.
Reply Quote
I personally find 'bursts' of high-density monster regions - when frequently occurring - by far the most satisfying.

For example, Keep Level 2, you take a short traversing break between areas of super high density rooms, with some near empty rooms, only to encounter another super dense region again. I think psychologically, this is a far more satisfying way to distribute an identical amount of monsters. I.e if 200 monsters are to be distributed in X zone of Y size, the most satisfying way from a gameplay perspective is having them really bunched up with minor, digestible breaks in between; this way there is no self-serving crazy amounts of monsters just packed into every inch of the map, but stays true to a balanced number.

So instead of having the 200 or so monsters distributed in a way that you encounter 10 at a time - 20 different times (which feels underwhelming), have packs of 50. Or something to this effect.

Applying a similar method to Act I and Act II like the tombs levels and Leoric's Manor (fantastic places to encounter, it is so awesome seeing the monsters charge you in hordes) THROUGHOUT the rest of the act, so there are high density areas all over would be amazing.

I'm sure others can come up with some fantastic distribution models but I personally feel this is the most satisfying thing. I also like mini breaks between crazy intense and dense fights to just sort of soak in the silence/aftermath, then move on - and in 5-10 seconds I'm back to another group of 50. I literally adore Keep level 2 for this reason, and I think it was voted #1 zone partly because of this also.

I totally agree with this post. I love the keep levels and doing something similar to other acts would make them far more desireable to play
Reply Quote
how about giving longer quests (like finding Kules body parts scavenger hunt quest) a whopping amount of xp? it would be an incentive to repeat quests. maybe like 200k exp or something or even more.
Reply Quote
They should create incentives for maps rotations, so your last run was in act 3? now act 1,2 and 4 will give extra xp and loot, quite simple solution i think.
Reply Quote
View profile
bonuses for completig quests need to be greater for the ones that take some time

if there was a big reward for farming quests that take more that a say 10 minutes then it would be fun to farm any act as long as there were monsters to kill along the way.

EXAMPLE -- vault of the assasin has the parfect amount of monster density. just remove 1 elite pack from that and there are plenty of mobs
Reply Quote
This thread is awesome! I'm seeing lots of great suggestions that I hope the devs are thinking about.

I really like the arguments against density for density's sake... Act 3 is awesome not only because of the monster density, but because of the way monsters are attacking from all sides. Demons climb walls to fight you in Stonefort and Crater. Moloks assult you from the air in Fields of Slaughter. It's not just the density, it's the intensity.

I don't think tripling the number of skeletons popping out of the ground in Act 1 will make anyone interested in playing there, because skeletons just aren't that interesting. As people have already identified, I think the key is to make some of the events more interesting (like the jar of souls or the festering woods event) and find ways to use monster density to make for a more intense experience.

Also, +1 to all posts who suggest increasing density in each difficulty... definitely a great idea!
Edited by TexaStranger#1793 on 1/24/2013 8:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
My biggest disappointment is act 4. Other than running through normal/nightmare/hell there is no reason to play it. Probably less than 1% of my playtime has been in a4. I would bet this is the case for most of us.

The most entertaining change would be for a4. Give us a reason to do a4/diablo runs in this game called Diablo.
Reply Quote
bonuses for completig quests need to be greater for the ones that take some time

if there was a big reward for farming quests that take more that a say 10 minutes then it would be fun to farm any act as long as there were monsters to kill along the way.

EXAMPLE -- vault of the assasin has the parfect amount of monster density. just remove 1 elite pack from that and there are plenty of mobs

How does removing 1 Elite pack from VoTA make it better? It is perfect as is IMO.
Reply Quote
With the up coming ability to move from act 1-4 with out losing stacks a higher monster density (at least 2x what they are now in acts 1,2,and 4)would be help full. yes, you have to complete the entire act but with the "problem" of getting decent gear to drop this would improve you chances although slightly it would improve them.
Reply Quote
Another thing that saddens me about farming in this game is that it is more efficient to skip random dungeons... this shouldn't be the case! How many times have each of you run right past the Ice Caverns or Underbridge because it's just plain inefficient? Many times for this guy.

This is also a big factor in why Act 4 is such a poor place to farm... the extra areas are pretty worthless.

I think dungeons would be more awesome if the density were increased and more were framed as an event (like the Northern Highlands crypt where you need to kill the three groups of cultists). Improvements on this front would help increase the intensity in various areas and help to break the monotony of the farming route by incentivizing players to engage random areas rather than streak right past them.
Reply Quote
I don't want there to be a density option. I think the density should be the same for all players in a particular difficulty. The density of mobs for inferno MP1+ should be increased in general for all areas and the monster density(amount of elites) needs to be turned up specifically in these certain areas:

Cathedral
Lyceum
Watch tower
Halls of Agony
The Archives
Alcarnus

EDIT: Act 4's issue is not density but, number of elites and events and random 2level dungeons(add some random hell rift areas or something!!)
Edited by Villein#1127 on 1/24/2013 8:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
I want mob density like a zombie movie. Think Dawn of the Dead remake and there are hordes of them outside the mall and they just can't kill enough. No matter what, you can't go wrong with that. Either you're not strong enough and its a serious challenge to not die or you feel like a superhero with them coming at you and coming at you and they fall dead at your feet. Either way its awesome.
Reply Quote
The mob density in act 3 is phenomenal.
Act 1 decent, my fav part is the spider area so i wish that had more.
Act 2 not really sure I hate the monsters there but love the environment. I would say it needs a boost in all areas
Act 4 reallly really horrible density. By the time I was able to actually do this act solo, i didnt even want to. Waste of time too few mobs
Reply Quote
This thread is awesome! I'm seeing lots of great suggestions that I hope the devs are thinking about.

I really like the arguments against density for density's sake... Act 3 is awesome not only because of the monster density, but because of the way monsters are attacking from all sides. Demons climb walls to fight you in Stonefort and Crater. Moloks assult you from the air in Fields of Slaughter. It's not just the density, it's the intensity.

I don't think tripling the number of skeletons popping out of the ground in Act 1 will make anyone interested in playing there, because skeletons just aren't that interesting. As people have already identified, I think the key is to make some of the events more interesting (like the jar of souls or the festering woods event) and find ways to use monster density to make for a more intense experience.

Also, +1 to all posts who suggest increasing density in each difficulty... definitely a great idea!

One strange point is that almost everyone agree. O_o.
Reply Quote
I think there are multiple reasons behind the desire for scaling monster density for the players who are asking for it. The first one that comes to mind is not the self-serving need to squeak out insane farming efficiency (there are some who seem to definitely want this), but the desire to feel that they are not losing efficiency when farming anything other than Act III. We definitely want people to farm multiple Acts, so we are discussing options to achieve that goal.

Your ideas on the subject are certainly welcome (in fact, the question of "what mob density would you choose?" is a great one to debate) and we hope that you will continue post them.

Please, act 4 requires more attention. It is by far the least explored and least dense of all the facts, when it should be the opposite. It should be the hardest act with the toughest monsters. It's act _4_. But default it should be more difficult than act 3. I can barely find 7-8 elites in act 4.

Seriously!
Reply Quote
As far as events go. There should be more, many more. Or at least once you get to level 60 in inferno there should be special events. The infernal machine was a good start but it has a flaw. That is it forces players to go thru areas they may not actually want to go thru and all that just to get the possibility of an enemy dropping one thing. I dont like scavenger hunts. In D2 there was Diablo walks the earth event which was incredibly awesome. More events like that where maybe you find the gate keeper boss from act3 in act 1 wandering around the minotaur area. thats just one quick thought. maybe theres even an entrance he makes by busting thru a wall. OR just more mini bosses that are randomly generated in different areas throughout the acts.
Uniquely named monsters are fine for laughs but they dont add any thrill particularly.
ACT1 a giant skeleton with long as two handed sword, that has chance to pop out of the ground alongside a wave of other tini skellies. lol
ACT2 a giant shark thingy that goes underground rarely.
so on and so forth. Of course I realize that these sorts of things would take tremendous amounts of time and testing, I wouldnt xpect something like this to be released for another year.
Reply Quote
If you recall D2 cow level, epic mob density and as soon as that portal opened your heart was pumping as the whole party jumped in and rained death.

You were also afraid to die, because if you did you missed a ton of XP running back in as the other players would have slaughtered so many hell bovine
Reply Quote
I'll just drop this epic item naming here http://i.imgur.com/46a3oqX.jpg?1
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]