Diablo® III

16 Years in Sanctuary: Ideas that I haven't seen shared

85 Night Elf Death Knight
well said, i must be stupid to be still playing, or a sucker for punishment.
Reply Quote
you think the lobby system was the soul of diablo only?

it was the soul of battlet.net

warcraft 3 and starcraft had better social tools than what we have now in sc 2.

Not THE soul of diablo, but a pretty big part of it. The other largest percentage would be the itemization. There are a lot of assorted other things that make up the rest that D3 is missing (uniques, games with titles and a search function, !!get the real money out of the game!!, return to the much more atmospheric music style, etc).

I could probably come up with a lot more if I wanted to make myself more sad lol. I've seen those arguments made though, and they feel much less significant to me. I could live with those flaws, happily, if the big two things were repaired.
Reply Quote
you think the lobby system was the soul of diablo only?

it was the soul of battlet.net

warcraft 3 and starcraft had better social tools than what we have now in sc 2.

Not THE soul of diablo, but a pretty big part of it. The other largest percentage would be the itemization. There are a lot of assorted other things that make up the rest that D3 is missing (uniques, games with titles and a search function, !!get the real money out of the game!!, return to the much more atmospheric music style, etc).

I could probably come up with a lot more if I wanted to make myself more sad lol. I've seen those arguments made though, and they feel much less significant to me. I could live with those flaws, happily, if the big two things were repaired.

Wait I think I misread what you meant. I gotcha now lol. Yes bnet is a pretty crappy, empty place for every game now.

Millions of players on a gaming social network wearing blindfolds and ear plugs.
Reply Quote
I can remember starting a new character in Diablo 2, killing maybe 3 enemies then bam! I get that set-piece sash. It happened more than once. But it was always fun to have happen... that could never happen in diablo 3. That enjoyment.

Also, the low level loot issue has to do with people not needing to re-roll a character... its completely pointless. Why store level 20 loot for a mage, or amazon when you're never going to have the desire to start anew, and try for a new talent tree. All those items we had saved in diablo 2 were there for a reason, ... diablo 3 kills this reason.
Reply Quote
My thoughts exactly about items.

What happened in 20 years game time that drastically changed the types of items we get?
Where's Full Plate mail?
Why is Stormsheild now round?
Did the creators lose the Sigons set designs?
How did items lose their tier-dness?

I was very let down by the replacement of "normal" armours and such with unheard of weird looking thingymajigs. :-\
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
I think the OP really hits the #1 issue for d2 when he mentions finding good stuff in d2. That's really the bottom line, even in 1.0.6, the drop rate on stuff that you can use to play mp10 is basically non-existent. I've never found a single piece for any of my characters, and I have a decent number of hours in. In fact, even what I can afford to purchase, because I've never found anything to sell for a high price, isn't mp10 capable. In d2, I had one of every class equipped to play players 8 by this time. For me the bottom line is: I've grown tired of playing the AH, and I'd prefer to play the pve experience, but I've hit the item wall.
Reply Quote
View profile
Do posts like this not make other people wonder
what the hell the 7 years of development went to
on this game?
Surely in 1 year some dude by himself could've sat
there creating items...
Or, you know, copy what D2 had...

This just further suggests that someone wanted this
game to be different for the sake of being different...
like they didn't feel the elder 2 Diablo games were worth
anything and that THEY would show people the 'real' game.

I mean seriously...copy what worked from D2, and just add more...
WoW expansions do it all the time...(i know because i have every one of them,
personal favourite is WotLK).
Reply Quote
@OP,

I understand and agree with what you are saying. I also agree with your comparisons to D2. I played that game for years and years...for a reason! I still like D3 enough to play it as much as I do. However, I do wish they would do something about the drops. They aren't bad, but they are set up in a manner which makes playing D3 less addictive than playing D2.

This is one of my few gripes about this game. I still play A LOT though. If they changed this and implemented runes/runewords, I would be in heaven!
Reply Quote
I played quite a bit of D2:LOD in the past as well. And I lurk a lot too, I read the forums daily, but I had to reply to this great post today.

What I miss most is :
1. Items: You got it right. Since the last patch, it's either a legendary or crap most of the time. But I still pick up all rares thinking what if ...? I miss my Enigma teleport and the Breath of the Dying I scrimped so much to get :((

2. Affixes : Each patch keeps neutralizing affixes. As a barb, before 1.0.3 I needed AR and vit.
I had a good 17k DPS, hoped to make A2 inferno ... Then they nerfed it, so we focused on str and CC. Wow, 50k dps !!! Then they have BiS legendaries so we want IAS now and rares are crap. Hmm, 150k DPS .. now what ...? This is because we deal only in 5-6 affixes. I would love some real elemental affixes.

3. Skills: I used to feel skilled while playing d2. Put on shouts, keep hot keying diff stuff, keep a tab on potions, it was great... Now, I can do full A3 MP7 runs while chatting with a friend on the phone (earphones) .. I do that almost every other run .. Coz it's not challenging skill wise...

4. Content : I did get quite bored of Baal runs and never leveled past 95. But Baal runs were fun coz they were fast and the monsters were varied. Plus I still had tons of fun trading. They could implement a chatroom lobby on the side of the AH as an alternate to selling, that would be tons of fun. I do a few runs every few days, what I would love most is an infinite randomized dungeon .. Or a random lottery of current D3 levels u enter WP at end and u randomly get teleported to other WP that u must finish etc..

5. Events: I played this game called ragnarok ages ago and ppl say wow is similar.
I would love to see guilds, weekly / holiday events, castles etc..

Thanks again OP for ur post.

~CyCo
Edited by CyCo#1801 on 1/23/2013 1:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

What about randomly generated maps? I personally never see anyone really cover this subject. I was shocked to see Diablo 3 didn't have this feature. The replay value was absolutely shattered for me at that point, once you have played Diablo 3 once that's it. You will never have a new experience, ever again. Meanwhile, in Diablo 2 everything always needed to be found again. That game really reeled people in, exploration is a big deal in ARPG's. Especially this series in particular. Such a shame, that sadly can never be changed.

D2's "random maps" weren't really that random. Sure, parts of them were random, but there were also a number of areas that were basically or nearly identical every time you played. One big square block after another. While I enjoyed it at the time, I wouldn't want to go back to that for ANYTHING.

D3 has random maps. Again, there are some areas that are the same (and they need to be) but I would like to think that the randomness in D3 isn't that much different from D2; however, the graphic detail is 1000x better than it ever could have been in D2 which makes it a LOT more fun to play.

At least, that's how I feel about it. JM2CW
Reply Quote
You my friend...made me post here for the first time (since release).
Like you I come from the "land of D1"...I remember how frightened I was before killing Butcher for the first time (here I say trying to...cause he kicked my !@# goooooooood).
The game was dark...evil...and LONG !

The itemization of this game is SO bad that they manage to make a PARAGORN lvl...what is means:
- We don't want you to use/stack MF gear to kill a boss, because the game is lame and the boss don't drop bollocks.

Your post OP express a big chunk of my feelings about this game...gratz for that...I've played every single game blizz put on the shelves (yeah! warcraft 1 and 2 my fellow hobbits).

They've changed SO many things from the previous games...I'm still hoping they come up with some massive changes...because the one thing I know is when you lose hope you lose everything.

My friendslist is empty...use to be normal before...
I'm not playing anymore...I'm paragorn 41 and I just feel bored...
"The Joker: Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it."
now they're going to make crafting for millions with the new patch? how about fixing the regular one? (- we can't the itemization is bad and we should feel bad)
more items bind on acc...it's WoW?
get a ring to lvling faster and then what? go to mordor and burn it? One Does Not Simply Walk into Mordor ALONE!
new director?? why not zoidberg??

I don't care anymore...the open beta for PoE is tmrw...I'm going to give a look...check if the unrewarding feeling comes back again...
Reply Quote
Outstanding post OP, hit the nail on the head.

Unfortunatly i don't think anything can be done to resolve the current fundamental design flaws in the game without the implementation of some content expansion along with a full character reset to include proposed design changes.

The addition of RMAH value on gear to D3 creates too much of a playbase uproar with significant game changes to loot tables or the idea of a complete character reset.
Reply Quote
Great post OP, I totally agree.
Reply Quote
I approve of this message.
Reply Quote
Great points! great message
Reply Quote
I agree wholeheartedly and I can relate d1 was my first multiplayer game I could play with ppl all over the world, even now I sometime come to Battle net in d1 just to sit in channel and talk with ppl or play some duels or whatever. A game I've been playing since release and joined BNet somewhere near beginning of 2003. Joined a clan, we made tournaments and wars against other clans. In 2004 I've even joined a RL meeting of ppl from channel, there was 30+ ppl we were camping near a lake for 3 days drinking and having fun. Fun times.

Now tell me how this can be possible with very limited, giving almost no freedom d3 chat?
Reply Quote
+1

Great post. Always seems to fall on deaf ears. I have no idea what the hell the dev team is doing, certainly not reading post like these.
Reply Quote
I logged in just to like this post, great summary.

I feel pretty much exactly the same way as you, I still enjoy D3 and have played it a lot, but I feel as though it would have been better keeping it more like D2 in the core areas.
Skill tree, stat points, items... It was so good.

Remember on that arreat summit page when they would say "New ladder items/rune words have been released" but they wouldn't tell you what they were till discovered?
What a way to keep you searching!

I think I still have my old D1, Hellfire & D2 save files somewhere...
Reply Quote
good post i guess but it seems 90% psychological and the psychology that works for you may not work for other ppl. 1 in 10,000 odds is still 1 in 10,000 odds regardless of the algorithm involved. D3 has more fail than simply this, that needs to be fixed.

also, i like braggarts, as long as they have the true experience and hence real cred to back it up. Isaac Asimov one of my favorites. :P our world is so full of false humility coupled with machiavellian scheming; that's the really disgusting behavior. but if you're an expert and u know it, plz, feel free to speak. problem is most of the ____talkers aren't the best. far from it.

also also: don't diss trapsin. fun is fun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]