Diablo® III

16 Years in Sanctuary: Ideas that I haven't seen shared

01/20/2013 07:26 PMPosted by Kinetic
this target audience has been given no reason to believe they'll be lucky enough to have these items drop because they've found absolutely nothing on their way to level 60.

This!!!!!

LEVEL 99 CAP PLEASE.

Backlog the paragon xp into the new 61+ data tables, & keep paragon system in place after level 99?

think of the possibilities. Hotfix this asap, watch the game break & why, rebuild around a system that, despite forum posters' opinions, runs nearly perfectly.
Reply Quote
Yep, pretty handily explains how the devs pooched itemization. When you got an Oculus in DII, you had an Oculus. It was guaranteed to be good. End of discussion. Same with just about every set and unique in the game. Yes, there was some marginal variance, but you couldn't possibly get a junk Shako or a junk Andy's Visage.

As I've said many times before, the screw-up in the itemization formula is that there are far too many affixes with far too many bad combinations.
Edited by TheJackal#1499 on 1/23/2013 4:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 04:12 PMPosted by Sÿlak
16 Years in Sanctuary: Ideas that I haven't seen shared

Then apply for the GD position Mr. Armchair game programmer/game marketing expert/large gaming company game director/game designer/awesome dude!

Jay's experience would run circles around me and you'd all be begging for him to come back and fix the mess I made lol.

01/23/2013 02:55 PMPosted by NewJohnny
Thanks for spelling out the loot problem technically. Where did you get the information on how D3 rolls items?

A very long time ago a D2 Bliz employee responded to a post in which someone was asking a loot related question. He may have oversimplified his answer to make it easier to understand, but that was how I remember him explaining the loot system. It's like a painting. The game randomly picks a canvas and then randomly picks each layer to apply before spitting out the final product.
Reply Quote
and you asked about D3 not D2, I need to stop replying when I have somewhere to be lol. D3 items don't follow the same loot rules as D2 because they have no base type. What's a legendary Revanant Bow? What's a set Stalker Cape? There aren't any. Sets and Legendaries are their own item class with no relation to the white Revanant Bows and Stalker Capes all over the ground. You can't feel the excitement of knowing "This area just dropped an Archon armor! That could have been a Tyrael's Might!"

I don't care how many Venom Wards I found in D2, it was always rewarding to see "Breast Plate" in gold letters knowing that I just beat the RNG for all breast plate drops.
Reply Quote
Few hundred hours, handful of legendaries (none all that good), and one set item (nat's boots, sucky ones).

Not a regular player but not really quitting yet. Still a time killer.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/23/2013 09:14 AMPosted by SeeknDestroy
Is Sigon's gear godly? Also when do you usually see Sigon's when you are level 6 the required level? I say no to both, you see a the point in the gear curve you are at there is not much more you can do with your character. In time you will start looking for the godly gear.

wut?

Looks like I threw one over your head. Okay then I will try to make this real simple then. Sigon's is not a set that would be considered godly in D2. But players are crying not because they cannot find decent gear while leveling. Their complaint is with finding inferno quality gear. Most of the cases it is not finding the entry level inferno gear. No it is the higher end inferno gear. You are wanting high end level gear to drop like leveling gear in D2.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 07:46 PMPosted by Kinetic
I don't care how many Venom Wards I found in D2, it was always rewarding to see "Breast Plate" in gold letters knowing that I just beat the RNG for all breast plate drops.

It's a total shame they changed it. No wonder base items are meaningless and forgettable.
Reply Quote
I remember when Jay said that leveling stat points was not needed because everyone would just get enough STR to wear armor and the rest in VIT.

But now the stat points have just moved to items, creating the same situation. Instead of finding cool or unique affixes, I have to decide whether +5% DPS is worth losing 10% life and 3% AR.
Reply Quote
I couldn't agree more.
Reply Quote
10/10

and jay thinks d2 itemization was an 'illusion that people imagined'

/sigh
Reply Quote
Every Diablo fan I have spoken to has mentioned how important those features of D1 and D2 were to their Diablo experience. D1 and D2 social hubs where the player can view his and other player characters gave diablo a vibrant MMO feel.

While I enjoy being able to view different character profiles in game as well as at diablo.com, these sorts of interactions are completely out of the way for the player. Diablo 2 came alive once you logged in and saw all the player characters standing around. There is an undeniable joy to seeing other PCs-- Even if you were playing solo. In my experience i might have noticed some awesome looking worm helmet on a barb and then became encouraged to hunt loot as a result.

The other issues you noted such as more rewarding loot and familiar map layouts are important as well. I hope to be able play on more expansive maps that are dense with mobs.
Reply Quote
Now if only they would take posts like this seriously...
Reply Quote
100% honest. i love you looking through all the bull !@#$ d3 has shown us. its not fun to randomly get a legendary that is so bad all you can do is salvage it. its dumb that you are made to farm until 100 paragon when you can get 4-7 legendaries and hour. its rigged plain and simple. there is nothing for them to do to fix it and sadly its a waste, ill move on to a free game (LoL anyone?) with more support and ideas on how they add things. pleases blizzard let THIS broken game rest in peace.
Reply Quote
Lets hope for the best that they do things that make D3 a great game. THis is going to change blizz's view, and we need to contribute to it. Less QQs and spam and more productive criticism, please.
Reply Quote
I am still upset that I can't MF Hell Meph for Sigons and trade them for chipped gems.

That was probably one of my favorite pastimes in D2. I made friends who needed sigons all the time because they died often (I play HC) and I gave them good deals because I felt bad. Now all I can do to give someone a good deal is mis-type a number in the "Buyout" box.

The current system is too impersonal, bring back bartering. I understand that Blizztavision was getting upset because offshore companies were profiting from their pixels, but it wasn't a reason to ruin the game for everyone.

It's so foolish that the hardcore community doesn't even have their own trade forum.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 04:26 PMPosted by Eunuchorn
this target audience has been given no reason to believe they'll be lucky enough to have these items drop because they've found absolutely nothing on their way to level 60.

This!!!!!

LEVEL 99 CAP PLEASE.

Backlog the paragon xp into the new 61+ data tables, & keep paragon system in place after level 99?

think of the possibilities. Hotfix this asap, watch the game break & why, rebuild around a system that, despite forum posters' opinions, runs nearly perfectly.

In case you didn't realize it - this is what they are going to use to make us buy the expansion(s). Just like WoW. When the expansion hits and everyone can level to 70 and find lvl 76 items then all the current items will be blown out of the water and the RMAH will be revamped and, sadly, Blizztavision will profit even more from destroying the best brand name in gaming.

I expect there to be 4 full expansions (+10 level cap in each one) to reel us into paying $250 ($50 x 5) for what was a $40 game 12 years ago.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/24/2013 01:53 AMPosted by Sts999999100
100% honest. i love you looking through all the bull !@#$ d3 has shown us. its not fun to randomly get a legendary that is so bad all you can do is salvage it. its dumb that you are made to farm until 100 paragon when you can get 4-7 legendaries and hour. its rigged plain and simple. there is nothing for them to do to fix it and sadly its a waste, ill move on to a free game (LoL anyone?) with more support and ideas on how they add things. pleases blizzard let THIS broken game rest in peace.

First of all I do not think that salvaging an inferno level piece of legendary gear into crafting mats that sells for a decent amount of gold is a bad thing. Also I would not say it is impossible to fix this game at all.

I am still upset that I can't MF Hell Meph for Sigons and trade them for chipped gems.

That was probably one of my favorite pastimes in D2. I made friends who needed sigons all the time because they died often (I play HC) and I gave them good deals because I felt bad. Now all I can do to give someone a good deal is mis-type a number in the "Buyout" box.

The current system is too impersonal, bring back bartering. I understand that Blizztavision was getting upset because offshore companies were profiting from their pixels, but it wasn't a reason to ruin the game for everyone.

It's so foolish that the hardcore community doesn't even have their own trade forum.

You are probably one of a small handful of players that would honestly trade with others in bartering. Look at some of the threads here and maybe in European Diablo 3 boards and you will see those that have been scammed trading with others in coop. Some have reported losing all control of their character and coming close to getting cleaned out of their gold and gear. So I would have to say no to bartering.
Edited by ShadowAegis#1537 on 1/24/2013 5:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks for the beautiful post man. I know your post isn't the first nor the last to point out some of the issues we have with this game, but still thanks for the thoroughness and the clear post that isn't derogatory.

Somethings feel great in D3 imo. Though D2 combat was great, D3 still manages to feel visceral and fun. Though the style has shifted, some of the graphics and the art are still very gorgeous. So, there are somethings, imo, devs hit the note. At the end of the day it is a new iteration, new game. The new feeling wrapper is expected and can be refreshing.

But messing with the core so much with itemisation, non-random maps and making a lot of reliance on AH and taking away other atmospheric things that built the community were absolutely wrong moves. I hope Blizz learns from their mistakes and bring back some of the features we loved with time.
Edited by Ravenwoods#6714 on 1/24/2013 7:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Good job OP! +1
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]