Diablo® III

16 Years in Sanctuary: Ideas that I haven't seen shared

Great post, thank you so much for sharing! And it something, it makes me sad how we don't have those small details that made previous Diablo titles amazing. I though the third was the charm, but damn we need charms again lol.
Reply Quote

I am still upset that I can't MF Hell Meph for Sigons and trade them for chipped gems.

That was probably one of my favorite pastimes in D2. I made friends who needed sigons all the time because they died often (I play HC) and I gave them good deals because I felt bad. Now all I can do to give someone a good deal is mis-type a number in the "Buyout" box.

The current system is too impersonal, bring back bartering. I understand that Blizztavision was getting upset because offshore companies were profiting from their pixels, but it wasn't a reason to ruin the game for everyone.

You are probably one of a small handful of players that would honestly trade with others in bartering. Look at some of the threads here and maybe in European Diablo 3 boards and you will see those that have been scammed trading with others in coop. Some have reported losing all control of their character and coming close to getting cleaned out of their gold and gear. So I would have to say no to bartering.

O_o

What? You need to be smoking something if you think that people can actually "lose control of their characters and lose their account" by entering a trade screen.

Please tell me this is some kind of weird Euro-humor I am not understanding.
Reply Quote
I didnt play D1, but played D2 obsessively as u do, Kinetic.
Just saying, this thread makes David Brevik as D1 and D2 developer is greater than Jay Wilson.

FYI, Jay Wilson made me quit playing WoW as well as he made me kinda hate Diablo franchise.

Regardless if Blizz can "fix" Diablo 3 or not, I am patiently waiting for David Brevik's new ARPG: Marvel Heroes. To my bonus, that game is free-to-play, as D3 should have cost $0 and I regret having to paid $70 on the first day release. Didnt mention about 1000 hours of farming to paragon 100.

It's just sad that I love Diablo franchise so much because of D2 and seeing the server is dead.
Reply Quote
I like this post. Although I've never played to D1 and D2, all my friends told me awesome stories about Baal runs, leveling in HC, PvP, itemization, character's customisation, etc.
Now, even without having played to these games, I think I know your felling, OP.

11/10
Reply Quote
9 pages and no blue response. All feedback about the new battle.net interface is ignored here.
OP, I'm right here with you. I was 13 when the Diablo came out and was still playing Hellfire when D2 hit the stores. Back then I didn't play online though. But I share your grief for item classes and enjoyed your post a lot.

Liked, sticky requested.

edit: typo
Edited by corrupt#2134 on 1/25/2013 6:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
This is a wonderful post.
Reply Quote
I think we are all hoping itemization will be improved.

Blues have already promised an "Ask the Dev's" on it coming in the future.
Reply Quote
Agree 100%

Also, I find DIII end game is too AH-oriented.
Reply Quote
+1
That is all.
Reply Quote
Signed, +1'd, agreed with, and filed away into my box of "Constructive posts that describe a problem AND its solution, but will fall on deaf ears and make me once again feel like a voiceless consumer"

The provocateurs will read this and say, "Derrr then you just want Diablo 2.5!!!" but.... I'm still playing Diablo 2 (albeit with Soulmancer's "Hell Unleashed" mod) because it's just that fun. And I had really and truly hoped that Diablo 3 would be the great successor to that title.

But when they stripped out stat points, skill points, more gem types, ALL runes, runewords, charms, low level items worth a darn, and no incentive to ever replay a character due to skill swapping... well, it went from being a game that belongs in the Diablo universe to something that belongs on a shelf, gathering dust.
Edited by BaTz#1596 on 1/25/2013 10:07 AM PST
Reply Quote

You are probably one of a small handful of players that would honestly trade with others in bartering. Look at some of the threads here and maybe in European Diablo 3 boards and you will see those that have been scammed trading with others in coop. Some have reported losing all control of their character and coming close to getting cleaned out of their gold and gear. So I would have to say no to bartering.

O_o

What? You need to be smoking something if you think that people can actually "lose control of their characters and lose their account" by entering a trade screen.

Please tell me this is some kind of weird Euro-humor I am not understanding.

I read that somewhere either here or on the European boards. They said that they opened up the trade window and all of a sudden he saw gold leaving from his side, gold that he did not put into the trade window. It kept opening back up again, he even said he was not able to log out for that time period. Who knows someone might've figured out a way to take temporary control of a character and do those things. People that are hackers these days are pretty smart and will do anything to get their hands on extra gold or items.

But still worse is the scamming going on that is why the AHs have to stay. At the very least the gold must stay. Because then no one in their right mind would dare to trade with others. Due to all of the scams that have been going on of late.

I didnt play D1, but played D2 obsessively as u do, Kinetic.
Just saying, this thread makes David Brevik as D1 and D2 developer is greater than Jay Wilson.

FYI, Jay Wilson made me quit playing WoW as well as he made me kinda hate Diablo franchise.

Regardless if Blizz can "fix" Diablo 3 or not, I am patiently waiting for David Brevik's new ARPG: Marvel Heroes. To my bonus, that game is free-to-play, as D3 should have cost $0 and I regret having to paid $70 on the first day release. Didnt mention about 1000 hours of farming to paragon 100.

It's just sad that I love Diablo franchise so much because of D2 and seeing the server is dead.

I have only one concern about Marvel Heroes online. That is trying to court both the Diablo crowd and Stan Lee's fans can be dangerous.

If you are too close to being more like Diablo, where the only Marvel parts are the looks and maybe some of the atmosphere. You would then be seen by the Stan Lee fans as using them to pad the numbers of active accounts since it is free to play.

Too much like a real Marvel game should be, you run the risk of the Diablo crowd saying the same thing. IMO it will be a lot harder to please both crowds.

9 pages and no blue response. All feedback about the new battle.net interface is ignored here.
OP, I'm right here with you. I was 13 when the Diablo came out and was still playing Hellfire when D2 hit the stores. Back then I didn't play online though. But I share your grief for item classes and enjoyed your post a lot.

Liked, sticky requested.

edit: typo

You ought to know that you will not see blues posting in every topic under the sun. They are very careful of when they post and what they say as they have to be. If it is a really good topic and discussion it is sometimes better for them not to say anything and just take the feedback to the developers instead. Because their posts at times have unintentionally derailed a good discussion.
Reply Quote
Signed, +1'd, agreed with, and filed away into my box of "Constructive posts that describe a problem AND its solution, but will fall on deaf ears and make me once again feel like a voiceless consumer"

The provocateurs will read this and say, "Derrr then you just want Diablo 2.5!!!" but.... I'm still playing Diablo 2 (albeit with Soulmancer's "Hell Unleashed" mod) because it's just that fun. And I had really and truly hoped that Diablo 3 would be the great successor to that title.

But when they stripped out stat points, skill points, more gem types, ALL runes, runewords, charms, low level items worth a darn, and no incentive to ever replay a character due to skill swapping... well, it went from being a game that belongs in the Diablo universe to something that belongs on a shelf, gathering dust.

You should know that in order for any type of manual point system to work it has to have real depth. Really deep and rich system, where there is still an optimal path. But those that are really close are only different in play style. So if you are concerned about being optimal you can eek out the final few percentage points toward your characters performance but you would not have to have it.

This game it would be too simple and the only right way would be obvious to anyone with half a brain. Scratch that a chimp could figure out how to spend the points in this simple game.
Reply Quote
+2M
Reply Quote

You should know that in order for any type of manual point system to work it has to have real depth. Really deep and rich system, where there is still an optimal path. But those that are really close are only different in play style. So if you are concerned about being optimal you can eek out the final few percentage points toward your characters performance but you would not have to have it.

This game it would be too simple and the only right way would be obvious to anyone with half a brain. Scratch that a chimp could figure out how to spend the points in this simple game.

I don't wish to derail this thread into yet another discussion on stat point distribution...but I feel this deserves a response.

I would agree that "Strength/Dex/Vita/Energy + Skill points" may not be the deepest character development scheme on the planet. But it at least gave the players a sense of accomplishment, growth, and decision-making.

I could make a sorceress with 250 base strength, and, since in D2, strength increased melee damage for ALL characters, could rock a melee sorceress with high damage and energy shield.

I could make a Paladin that was otherwise a Zealot, but throw just 1 point into Conversion for a PVE (and depending on the arena, PVP) twist in action. And that may have been a different decision than most other paladins made.

In D3... everyone gets same stats, same skills, same availability of runes...eh, lacks variety, in my experience with the genre and with the series.

Back on topic of OP - itemization is awful, no sense of item hunting and "Aww, almost had it!"
Reply Quote
While I enjoy D3, I agree with pretty much everything the OP said. It feels like the item drop rates are designed around being Paragon 100......
Reply Quote
liked it, my thing is that I get a set/leg that I am looking for unid and I get a VERY bad feeling in my stomach that MOST LIKELY it is going to be rolls that are for other types of characters... and so I sell it unid and yes that sucks.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Great post!
Reply Quote
I've been planning to include this topic in the Ask-A-Dev thread because of the overwhelming positive support it's getting! But it seems the process is being controlled in a way that will prevent this.

[TOPIC]
The topic for this month is Patch 1.0.7. Please feel free to ask any questions related to changes in included this patch (i.e. dueling, class updates, new crafting recipes, etc).

[RULES]
Stay on topic. Questions that don't relate to the chosen topic (even if highly-rated) won't be sent to the developers.

I love that they're doing the Ask-A-Dev thing, it's a great way to open up to the community, but I'm worried that it's going to backfire. You can't bring a bunch of people into a room with a two headed elephant on a unicycle and say you're only taking questions about the the new paint on the walls.

Perhaps in the future we'll get an open Q&A where anything game related can be asked and voted on. For now my disappointment continues.
Reply Quote

CRAP! It's so rare when a Suwayyah drops! I was so close to getting Nat's Mark that time! Next time maybe I'll be luckier.

That, right there, is exactly what D3 is missing in itemization. I "almost" got what I wanted, and it kept me running after the carrot on a string, aka I KEPT PLAYING.

What I was really hoping to see in D3 was an enhancement to events like this where you said to yourself "Damn, I really wanted that green Suwayyah, but I wonder what's on this yellow one?" In D2, there was not much of a temptation to pick up yellows unless they were rings or ammys. Sometimes boots/gloves could be good, but generally we skipped over most yellows. Path of Exile NAILED this little enhancement.
Edited by TheHoc#1647 on 1/25/2013 4:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

I love that they're doing the Ask-A-Dev thing, it's a great way to open up to the community, but I'm worried that it's going to backfire. You can't bring a bunch of people into a room with a two headed elephant on a unicycle and say you're only taking questions about the the new paint on the walls.

This was hysterical. Made me laugh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]