Diablo® III

How It Went Terribly Wrong, Because They Listened To Us

In the old days Diablo items were good because there wasn't an auction house to provide people with an easy way to get good items. I have no doubt that if D2 had an auction house everyone would have bought good equipment, thus making most magical items trash rather than useful. You'd also have had more people complaining that after buying the best items they could afford at the auction house that they couldn't find anything good.

You can play D3 without using the auction house and if you do you'll find that most of the items you find are better than the things you found when you were 5 levels lower.

Given that a player won't find anything truly valuable until they get to inferno they'll have a lot of time to figure out what is valuable and what things are worth on the auction house. Seriously people can only learn how to do something by making mistakes.

Finally every game will have a only a few builds that do the most damage. It's impossible to create an RPG where every build is equally good unless the game is so easy that you could win even if you just randomly choose your skills.

Newbs crying for more drops are just WoW players who came to play this version of Single Player WoW. Of course Blizzard is going to cater to their WoW subs. Anything to keep them subscribed and "pleased."

Your post indicated that you've never played WOW. In WOW your main drops from enemies are things you need for crafting, food, money, junk, and quest items. You get most of your gear from vendors, quests, and dungeons. Though from quests you get a choice of items (none of which may be good) and in dungeons you get 1-2 items per boss. So the WOW fanbase isn't one that's used to a high level of drops.
Reply Quote
As LastCrusader stated, it's all about more depth!

The way the game sits now, there is an elephant in the room that's preventing this game from even having any lasting depth. No it wasn't Jay Wilson, it was our beloved RMAH, and partially the AH.

Blizzard's bottom line (like any company's bottom line) is money. They have to be very careful on what they implement and how they do it or else they risk angering the people who've spent real money on items. Also the people who may have spent hundreds of millions or billion on items.

Adding new powerful items, affixes, runes, jewels, charms, and even more challenging acts will inevitably render people's gear obsolete to make way for the new stuff. That's a hard pill to swallow for people who've invested a lot of time and money into the game gearing themselves. With this, Blizzard runs the risk of turning the people away from the game who are actually willing to spend money.

Sure Blizzard can do whatever they want, but it's not the smartest thing in the world to render people's gear worthless or obsolete once they've spent a bunch of money on it.

This is why this game cannot and will not have anymore additional depth, not until the RMAH and AH are taken out.

Okay prove it, prove that both auction houses had full control over all game decisions. That goes from cutting the mystic, talisman system, the big wait for PvP, and all other things cut before the launch of the game.

Prove it had everything to do with the way the skills are designed. Or like some said that instead of finding a way to improve on things like stat points and skill points by giving us a deeper and rich system for such things they scrapped them.

Also prove to me they forced the devs to make all of the affixes the way that they did.

Also you have many players that do not even use the RMAH and only use the gold auction house. Those players have learned how to maximize their gold earning potential. So the RMAH means nothing to those players at all. Also you have those that have toughed it out and went the route of finding their own gear and do not use either auction.

I do not think that this game's RMAH makes anywhere near the money that their cash cow WoW does in a month's time.
Reply Quote
After THE DownGrade my soul is still lost
Sold my 360 There was nottin that would improve Diablo 3

Bin sittin home drinkin beer sins the downgrade
Drugs dnt work no more neither

Cus a these changes
People create there verry own diablo to releas @ the world

After loosin 80% worth on my items

It became clear thate If bin stolen from not just myself(666)

My english dropped a 80 % cus all a this like u see here:)

I Realy hope There eye site droppes an extra 10%

Can kick me from server But you cant stop me from prayin

Regards from the real Diablo still in my mind Sleepin.

Lots of Hate Burning.
Reply Quote
The thing that gets me the most is only being able to use six skills and three passives.
Reply Quote
There should be no expansion from Blizzard - They should sell the rights to a younger, hungrier software developer who's willing to go all out for a product that draws players in, not because of the title, but because of gameplay.

Remind you of someone? Perhaps Blizzard 12+ years ago?

The public knew the Diablo franchise, and thought they knew Blizzard. We expected a masterpiece, and got a cozy fixer-upper instead. Was it worth it? I got it free with the AP, so yes, it was worth every penny, but I'm tired of "we'll get around to fixing that in the next patch" or "we're looking into it"

After 12 years, we should have received a bug-free, bot-free, secure and smooth-running title.

I'm still waiting. Maybe POE has what I'm looking for - gonna try open beta tomorrow.
Reply Quote
Man Blizzards development cycle is toooooo d*mn long..i didnt have 7 years to help oversee the project ... When in doubt you go with what worked not stray into a new system..who did they think would buy diablo all new players? i fail to believe anyone is that naive. Diablo put up those sales number not because of new players but because of the legacy players and the name it established by providing top-notch content via D1 and D2. the painfully honest truth is we got crapped on in favor of the new guys, players who like easy-to-pick-up-and-play games, and pay2win.
Edited by warbuckaz#1718 on 1/22/2013 5:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Zaxxon23
Newbs crying for more drops are just WoW players who came to play this version of Single Player WoW.

Truer words have rarely been spoken

(even though I disagree with many other points in your post)

This!!!!
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 03:16 PMPosted by marzzes
The thing that gets me the most is only being able to use six skills and three passives.

you have the World of Warcraft team to thank for that..
Reply Quote
I would like to see a blue respond to threads like these, ive read most of them (about 4-6 worth reading) and i dont rememeber ever seeing a blue respond to the OP
Reply Quote
Good suggestions, but IMO having proper chat for trade and barter channels won't do anything to stop people getting scammed.

I had a friend who made millions buying underpriced gear from the trade channel, and it was facilitated because everyone else in the trade channel was looking to lowball every other seller. His typical conversation goes like this:

randomnoob: S> EF 1200dps socket. Dunno how much this is worth, offer plz.
lowballer1: 18M
lowballer2: offer 20M
my friend PM's randomnoob: That dude's trying to lowball you. Add me to friends, I'll pay you 35M for it right now.

IMO the AH actually gives people the means to properly check the prices of an item by facilitating searches. But then some people are inherently lazy and choose to remain ignorant. These people will continue to be scammed, no matter what protections you put in place.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 05:52 PMPosted by WhoKnows
Man Blizzards development cycle is toooooo d*mn long..i didnt have 7 years to help oversee the project ... When in doubt you go with what worked not stray into a new system..who did they think would buy diablo all new players? i fail to believe anyone is that naive. Diablo put up those sales number not because of new players but because of the legacy players and the name it established by providing top-notch content via D1 and D2. the painfully honest truth is we got crapped on in favor of the new guys, players who like easy-to-pick-up-and-play games, and pay2win.

If legacy and reputation was the sole factor to sales of a series. Then no game developer would ever have to talk about the sequel they are making. I mean as long as the sequel is good and a true sequel. Then they would not need to talk about it at all.

If a companies reputation was the sole factor in the sales of a game. Then the developers of the new games would not need to talk about the new games at all. Just mention the title and when the release date is set. That is all they need to do. They could keep all other knowledge about the game hush, hush.

Players do not buy games solely based on the reputation of the company and the legacy of the franchise. That would be saying that as soon as D3 was mentioned everyone and I mean everyone just buried their head in the sand like an ostrich and did not learn anymore about it until they bought it on release day. I know that players did not do that.

It is just the same as saying that any game's success is solely based on one or a small handful of features. That is a lie iMO that people need to stop telling.

Now do not get me wrong, I know it is one of the factors but never try and convince anyone it is the sole factor. That will not work on me, because I do purchase games based entirely off of the legacy of the franchise and the reputation of the company.

The way that companies can totally change a franchise (Blizz guilty of (D2 way different than D1)). So it makes sense to keep your fingers on the pulse of the game's development. So this way you have a really good idea of what you are purchasing when buying a game. Sure you will not know all of the ins and outs of the game. But you would still have a basic knowledge, which is better than knowing absolutely nothing about the game at all.
Reply Quote

If legacy and reputation was the sole factor to sales of a series. Then no game developer would ever have to talk about the sequel they are making. I mean as long as the sequel is good and a true sequel. Then they would not need to talk about it at all.

If a companies reputation was the sole factor in the sales of a game. Then the developers of the new games would not need to talk about the new games at all. Just mention the title and when the release date is set. That is all they need to do. They could keep all other knowledge about the game hush, hush.

Players do not buy games solely based on the reputation of the company and the legacy of the franchise. That would be saying that as soon as D3 was mentioned everyone and I mean everyone just buried their head in the sand like an ostrich and did not learn anymore about it until they bought it on release day. I know that players did not do that.

It is just the same as saying that any game's success is solely based on one or a small handful of features. That is a lie iMO that people need to stop telling.

Now do not get me wrong, I know it is one of the factors but never try and convince anyone it is the sole factor. That will not work on me, because I do purchase games based entirely off of the legacy of the franchise and the reputation of the company.

The way that companies can totally change a franchise (Blizz guilty of (D2 way different than D1)). So it makes sense to keep your fingers on the pulse of the game's development. So this way you have a really good idea of what you are purchasing when buying a game. Sure you will not know all of the ins and outs of the game. But you would still have a basic knowledge, which is better than knowing absolutely nothing about the game at all.

What your ssying makes perfect since "IF" your talking about a new IP or maybe 2nd game in the franchise. After 2 ...(After two knock outs)....i trusted them to deliver.
Edited by warbuckaz#1718 on 1/22/2013 7:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Great post, OP. My only gripe is that D2 was in no way balanced... There were quite a number of character builds that were plain ridiculous just like D3. Hammerdin was probably the most depressing class I've ever had to play with. I think like 1 monster in the entire game didn't take full damage from hammers.
Reply Quote
Well said. I agree with your points. I just really hope that in the near future, at least in the expansion pack they'll make a significant change that will hugely benefit the game, with people coming back to play again.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
This post is a good read with a lot of great feedback and I appreciate you putting it together. Thanks! While there are other points in the original post, I wanted to briefly talk about items since it’s the big one.

We know that (for many players) it’s much more rewarding to gear up from items that you find while playing normally than it is to necessarily go through Auction House, and we’re working to make improvements in that area. There are a lot of ways we could attempt to reach that goal, and choosing the best one(s) to go with is not always a fast process. I want to encourage you all to continue to post your thoughts on the subject and I promise we will keep reading and relaying them.
Reply Quote
This post is a good read with a lot of great feedback and I appreciate you putting it together. Thanks! While there are other points in the original post, I wanted to briefly talk about items since it’s the big one.

We know that (for many players) it’s much more rewarding to gear up from items that you find while playing normally than it is to necessarily go through Auction House, and we’re working to make improvements in that area. There are a lot of ways we could attempt to reach that goal, and choosing the best one(s) to go with is not always a fast process. I want to encourage you all to continue to post your thoughts on the subject and I promise we will keep reading and relaying them.

I think the main problem, when compared to Diablo 2, is that in Diablo 2, you could gear yourself decently by doing magic find run and be able to do most of the content easily. You were only really required to trade if you wanted to be Godly.

In Diablo 3, it's a little different. Back in Diablo 2, legendary items dropped often enough and they were good enough to be "standard" gear for everyone... by standard, I mean you can't go wrong with those items. In Diablo 3, legendary items are so rare, they can't really be standard gear. You are required to use rare items as you magic find, and those rare items are 100% RNG. To have a decent character, you are at the mercy of the RNG.

Nowadays, it's a bit better since Inferno got nerfed and we now control the difficulty.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]