Diablo® III

How It Went Terribly Wrong, Because They Listened To Us

(Locked)

Because "kids" are Blizzards target new market. They are easily satisfied with pretty graphics mindless action. They also like to argue about who has the highest number(ie damage).

Instead of saying D3 failed, its more accurate to assume D3 sold out. Any random person can pick up the game and as long as they have the patience/real cash they can become "L33t".

I agree, less people like you around, better for us..
This post is a good read with a lot of great feedback and I appreciate you putting it together. Thanks! While there are other points in the original post, I wanted to briefly talk about items since it’s the big one.

We know that (for many players) it’s much more rewarding to gear up from items that you find while playing normally than it is to necessarily go through Auction House, and we’re working to make improvements in that area. There are a lot of ways we could attempt to reach that goal, and choosing the best one(s) to go with is not always a fast process. I want to encourage you all to continue to post your thoughts on the subject and I promise we will keep reading and relaying them.

+1 for Grimiku, I honestly believe this is the biggest problem with Diablo 3, you can not find a good item when you play, you just overpay for peoples small downgrades they could care less about anymore.

I feel like if we took a look at all rare/legendary 50-60, we could honestly agree on. . . 1.why did 59-60 ever have such a big difference, and 2.why were there ever ilvl59 junk legendarys. If we deleted every legendary/set and made some lowbie legendary/sets that people MUST have, this would create more farming and MUCH more fun for the lower leveling experience, and at the same time put a huge value on a lv1-59 ilvl range. This is just how I feel I miss diablo 1 basic feel and d2's classic barbarian fights when sigon helm/sheild and hasuras belt and boots were the best, with some rare rings/amulet and a good old executioner sword. . . this would bring the spirit back to diablo 3, less balance and more focus on core builds, lowering the price on junk and increasing the price on goodies. And lets just face the truth, a black market price is always better out of plane sight (they are buying millions of gold for pennys and you wonder why people quit) Im glad people are making money, but this game isnt fun when you farm for a week just to get a minor upgrade for 1b. goodluck though Grim, i have total faith in Diablo 3, ill just be on gw2 pvping till i can come and see this is finally balanced.
The key for me is simple: you cannot find items sufficient to play the end game in d3. You could in d2. I could (and did) play players 8 in d2, with only found items, on every class. Try to imagine how long it would take you to find the items you need to do that on mp10 in d3.
I think the "it went bad becuase they listened to us" theory is lot's of ****.
However i am not trying to state the opossite.
I belive that the problem was "it went bad because they ignored us".

Some of you say that had they not nerfed inferno people would still be playing, some of you say other simillar things. I belive that is wrong too. The players would have left the game anyway.

So what's wrong in my opinion ?
First of all, the item system is not rewarding. Developers wanted randomization ? Fine i think it was great idea, however why did they not give legendaries and set items constant stats or randomize them in some direction, like item for barbarian would never had int bonus ? This way players would seek legendaries and rare items, because of pure randomization on rare items, people would have had the chance to find something better than legendary or set item (this is where 99% of items is crap would have been turned from disadvantage to advantage, because only one from few hundred rare items could become better than legendary). This way people would be geared up with a mix of rare/legendary items.
The second problem would be gold. There is far too much gold in game and players don't have anywhere to use it up except gems. There was a simple yet effective sollution in d2 for this... gambling.
The third would be that game is boring after some time. There is absolutely nothing that would keep many players playing it. The random level and dugeons is pretty much lot's of bull****. There was supossed to be arena for pvp, but there wasn't even a dueling (the current dueling system that they want to put is just plain waste of my time, because developers don't want to polish it ? Why ? I can tell from the name itself, dueling is meant to be 1v1, not 1v1v1 or 1v1v1v1).

My last comment for those d3 uber fans, it is you who ruin this game. If so many people you call trolls whine here at forum and there is so much rage, then wouldn't this itself say that there is something terribly wrong with game ? When you say game is good, fuk all losers you cheer up developers and they think it's not so bad at all, while it is. I could write much more, but i don't see any more reason to waste more time on something that won't be read. Now that i have whined a little, i feel kinda better.
Edited by Hellmai#2182 on 1/23/2013 1:15 AM PST
Couldn't agree more about the RNG. Right now I fill up on non-whites, vendor the blues, and then vendor the yellows after checking that they are indeed all crap.
I think I'm lucky if I get int and vitality (and not also dex and/or str) on anything. Then vendor it cause it rolled really low.
I don't think it's wrong because they listened to us.

Yadda yadda yadda game development is a big thing...I know this because I've worked on several indie games myself and never released any...I can only IMAGINE how it is for big budget games.

The problem is every know-it-all (including myself!) thinking they know how to fix the game.

As a constant player since D1, and a programmer, I feel that every piece I've written has been worthy of inclusion and I'm annoyed that I've never gotten a single blue response.

BUT I'm sure dozens, if not hundreds, of others feel the same way.

There is just way too much going on on both sides of development, and in the end, the devs are the only ones with any real control.

As an example, I feel I've found a fix for gems
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7709862004?page=1#3

and a fix for class-specific modifiers, charms, and the scrapped medallion
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708991650?page=1#6

Have I gotten a blue post? No. Have I gotten a positive response from a player? No.
Yet, I think I'm right.

In the end--it doesn't matter. Even the fact that I posted my threads here is irrelevant--yeah, it might mean that I'm full of myself, but it probably won't result in much.

I am not someone who makes decisions, and neither are any of us.
its multiplayer only thats synonymous with saying there is no story line obnot lol
The only difference is most people think I am right, and this particular Blizzard poster sees that. That's why he posted.

I may not have released any of my own games, but I've been playing games long enough to know which ones are successful and which ones aren't, and also, to my surprise, exactly why, and that's why I'm also trying to become a game developer, who knows, maybe one day you'll see my game.

Looked at your posts, nothing much going on to prove what you're saying is of any benefit. I supported my ideas with some evidence and backing detail. You need to put more work into solidifying why you think your ideas would fix their problem, and properly present it. Good luck.

That's cool, seeing as I have dozens of posts and you seemed to have sped through them pretty quickly, to arrive at the idea that "nothing much going on to prove what you're saying is of any benefit."

I'm not here to compete with you, so let me just say: it's pretty quickly that you passed judgment on me. That's okay: it's a combination of your personal beliefs, your beliefs of what I have written, your faith (or lack thereof) in replies, etc.

But I can tell you that I'm 33, have been playing games since the Atari 2600, have over 1000 video games in my possession, and have been playing dungeon crawlers since before "rogue-like" was a term. I can tell you that I've programmed or scripted at least a dozen games, can program in two environments and script in anything I have the time to learn.

THIS IS THE INTERNET. If you wish to disbelieve anything I say, that is your prerogative, as I have no way to prove anything I say.
BUT, if you chance to believe me, the fact is I have enough experience to be completely comprehensively accurate in my posts.

It's up to you.
d2 loot sources:

- trade channels/games (caveat emptor)
- drop games (people doing mf runs dumping weak loot due to no room, thus helping noobs)
- drops (magic find) - depending on what loot you wanted, you sought specific mobs
- skill charms (why yes a 90+ would be in nightmare for a reason!)
- psn charms (baal vs cows vs pits)
- high runes (chaos runs, hell forge rushing)
- best uniques (pindleskin and other superuniques pre nerf, baal and throne runs after)
- xp runs (chaos/baal)
- specific TC items (nm cows, hell cows, cow king in either, rakanishu/andariel in nm vs hell and so on)
- gambling (gold was a joke to obtain since third tier gray/blues were 35k a pop, so nice)
- uniques/sets were possible without a bit of magic find
- diadem modifiers
- crafting - function of your level. asking higher level players to craft for you had a purpose. who hasn't crafted a level 104 item and died a little.
- imbuing - also a perk for high level characters
- cubing - d3 without the horadric cube is a pale comparison.
- chesting (obvious and hidden alike)
- racking

vs d3

- gold auction house
- real money auction house (lol?)
- mobs drops (act bosses aren't special as they were in d2 aside from first kill mechanic)
- elites drop more rares but not higher tier items as in d2
- normal mobs can drop additional picks but still just a normal pick
- events/chests

the variation doesn't exist in d3. d3 is like playing d2 but only playing hell cows. nothing but killing the exact same mob over and over and over for little variation.

in d2 you could vary the types of runs you wanted depending on what you wanted to hunt for. likewise half the interesting stuff was player made and not even drop based.
Nice write up unfortunately this game was founded with profit generating revenue in mind only. They're trying to add in the "fun" now. I'm sure if they put equal effort into creating the fun aspect as they did the profit aspect this game would stop hemorrhaging it's player base. Blues respond negatively to these types of posts because it insults people's time and effort they put to create this game. I understand that completely, but being insulted and creating something better then before and having it thrive is the goal here for both you the people who have your dream job, and us your consumers. Not a game that will eventually never be played again which harms both of us and also tarnish the reputation of future products.
Edited by FuzzyBunnies#1271 on 1/23/2013 2:03 AM PST
This post is a good read with a lot of great feedback and I appreciate you putting it together. Thanks! While there are other points in the original post, I wanted to briefly talk about items since it’s the big one.

We know that (for many players) it’s much more rewarding to gear up from items that you find while playing normally than it is to necessarily go through Auction House, and we’re working to make improvements in that area. There are a lot of ways we could attempt to reach that goal, and choosing the best one(s) to go with is not always a fast process. I want to encourage you all to continue to post your thoughts on the subject and I promise we will keep reading and relaying them.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415644229?page=1
What a load of total bovine manure, most of this thread seem to be older players wineing how D3 is not D2 and how listening to the community had wrecked the game.

I'm old to "in gaming years" and remember d1/d2 fondly, but I like diablo 3 (for the most part) and dont want a diablo 2 clone.

As for the patches they where welcome additions and I never felt like anything "broke" after them, especially magic find cap reduction. I want to play a good game for years not weeks and the way things are going the game will end up with less long term play value.

Keep diablo 3 diablo 3, and keep listening to the community no matter what the grumpy old gamers say.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593582639?page=1
Is bumping aloud ...... I just find it to be bad manners.

After looking at profiles, poeple seem to be double/tripple/more posting with multiple accounts, does the noobness never end?
Edited by KojiBear#6869 on 1/23/2013 2:34 AM PST
Imbalance of roll-able stats creating elite items, devaluing all else.

After discussing how there are too many useless drops, I want to explain how the way items roll and the types of rolls they have affect the fact that nearly every item is useless except for a select few, the elites. Referring back to Diablo II, we had a more effective system of budgeting items. This created a balanced progression of an item's quality. This intelligent algorithm created items that actually made sense to better boost a player's ability. Thinking about it realistically, if a weapon maker were to create a worthy weapon they would want features to it that made it sharper and more powerful. The system should imitate this, creating items gradually more and more useful.

that's exactly my thoughts. you can change those useless items even now, my original topic about item diversity is here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415515028

To counter the "one and only" BIS item rule, you have to redesign legendaries and how the system works. The more variety the game actually provides, the better. You need to give people more choices and items that improve build diversity, like redesigned Frostburn Gauntlets, Magefist or new Helm of Command, you should be able to lower your dps and improve your resource regeneration by switching from Vile Ward to new Death Watch Mantle, you should be able to put something different than Skorn if you're using a 2H build.

Right now, it's "few OP items that are worth something" against "all the other trash". Everyone in long run will look the same, and play the same. It's boring and dull. So to start, I propose to add Holy Belt (both rare and legendary items) - since Barbarians have Mighty Belts, Monks as a second melee class should have similar class of item. Holy Belt could roll Life Steal and Spirit Regen, as I really don't see why Barbarians have so much possibilities to leech HP in passive and items, and Monks have none besides 1handers. Also - i'm EU Paragon Level 91 Wizard, so I'm not trying to do something for my class - that suggestion just seems fair to me.

To fix BIS item rule and introduce some variety to the game:

Helm, BIS: Mempo of Twilight

The Helm of Command - new version can't be crafted
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/the-helm-of-command

+184-189 Vitality
+8% Chance to Block
+40 Physical Resistance
+61-80 Resistance to All Elements

One of 22 Magic Properties (varies):
Reduces cooldown of Call of the Ancients by 10-20 seconds. (Barbarian Only)
Reduces cooldown of Earthquake by 10-20 seconds. (Barbarian Only)
Reduces cooldown of Wrath of the Berserker by 10-20 seconds. (Barbarian Only)
+13-15 Maximum Fury (Barbarian Only)
Reduces resource cost of Vault by 2-4 Discipline. (Demon Hunter Only)
Reduces cooldown of Rain of Vengeance by 3-9 seconds. (Demon Hunter Only)
Increases duration of Smoke Screen by 1 second. (Demon Hunter Only)
+9-10 Maximum Discipline (Demon Hunter Only)
Reduces resource cost of Wave of Light by 25 Spirit. (Monk Only)
Reduces resource cost of Sweeping Wind by 25 Spirit. (Monk Only)
Reduces cooldown of Seven-Sided Strike by 3-9 seconds. (Monk Only)
Increases Spirit Regeneration by 1.00-2.33 per Second (Monk Only)
Reduces cooldown of Summon Zombie Dogs by 3-9 seconds. (Witch Doctor Only)
Reduces cooldown of Fetish Army by 10-20 seconds. (Witch Doctor Only)
Reduces cooldown of Big Bad Voodoo by 10-20 seconds. (Witch Doctor Only)
Increases Mana Regeneration by 9-11 per second. (Witch Doctor Only)
Increases Electrocute Damage by 7-14% (Wizard Only)
Increases Spectral Blade Damage by 7-14% (Wizard Only)
Increases Shock Pulse Damage by 7-14% (Wizard Only)
Increases Magic Missile Damage by 7-14% (Wizard Only)
Reduces cooldown of Archon by 10-20 seconds. (Wizard Only)
+13-15 Maximum Arcane Power (Wizard Only)

+1 Random Magic Properties
empty socket

Gloves, BIS: Rares or IK's Irons if you're a barb

Tasker and Theo
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/tasker-and-theo

add one more guaranted affix:
Critical Hit Chance Increased by 6-10%
+1 Random Magic Properties instead of 2
Chance to reduce enemy armor by 20% on hit

Frostburn Gauntlets
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/frostburn-gauntlets

now adds 9-10% to Cold Damage
Cold skills deal 15-30% more damage
add 3 more guaranted affixes:
Critical Hit Damage increased by 35-50%
+46-60 Resistance to All Elements
+80 Cold Resistance
Chance to cast Frost Nova on hit

Gladiator Gauntlets
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/gladiator-gauntlets

now Each Hit Adds +252-324 Life
+10-12% Life instead of +6-7%
2.20-2.50% of Damage Dealt Is Converted to Life
instead of one Random Magic Property add one of 3 Magic Properties (varies)
+120-169 Intelligence
+120-169 Dexterity
+120-169 Strength

Magefist redesigned to ilvl 63
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/magefist

Adds 9-10% to Fire Damage
Fire skills deal 15-30% more damage.
Attack Speed Increased by 8-9%
+80 Fire Resistance
Chance to molten your enemies

Bracers, BIS: Lacuni Prowlers

Wondrous Deflectors
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/wondrous-deflectors

add 2 guaranted affixes:
Chance to reflect 30% of all incoming damage

Promise of Glory
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/promise-of-glory

20% extra gold and mf
now Critical Hit Chance Increased by 7%
+3 Random Magic Properties instead of 2

Slave Bonds completely redesigned for Inferno
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/slave-bonds

One of 3 Magic Properties (varies)
+120-169 Intelligence
+120-169 Dexterity
+120-169 Strength

+10-11% Movement Speed
+2 Random Magic Properties
Chance to move faster (additional +12% ms) for a short period of time

Shoulders, BIS: Vile Ward

Death Watch Mantle redesigned to ilvl 63
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/death-watch-mantle
lower dps than Vile Ward, but resource regen included

+327-569 Life on Hit
+5% Life
+161-175 Armor
+61-80 Resistance to All Elements
One of 3 Magic Properties (varies)
+126-169 Intelligence
+126-169 Dexterity
+126-169 Strength
Increased resource generation (varies):
Mana: 4 per second.
Arcane Power: 0.5 per second.
Hatred: 1 per second.
Fury: 8% generated.
Spirit: 12% generated.

15-35% chance to explode with knives when hit by enemies.

Seven Sins
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/seven-sins

now +41-66 Resistance to All Elements instead of Arcane Resistance

Belts, BIS: The Witching Hour

new class of item - Holy Belt for Monk

The Holy Alliance
320–355 Armor
new possibility of gain life steal for Monks, they deserve it as a second melee class, and they don't have passive skill like Barbarian

One of 2 Magic Properties (varies)
+90-100 Dexterity
+170-200 Dexterity

Increases Spirit Regeneration by 1.00-2.33 per Second (Monk Only)
2.70-3.00% of Damage Dealt Is Converted to Life
+41-60 Resistance to All Elements

Chance to summon Mystic Ally on hit

Tal Rasha's Brace
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/tal-rashas-brace

add one more guaranted affix: Attack Speed Increased by 8-9%

Blackthorne's Notched Belt
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/blackthornes-notched-belt

add one more guaranted affix: +90-100 Vitality

Hellcat Waistguard
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/hellcat-waistguard

now regenerates 316-400 Life per Second - add team healing aura on equip that uses that affix

add 2 guaranted affixes:
adds 5-6% to Fire Damage
reduce damage from elites by 5-6%

Ageless Might
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/ageless-might

add 2 more guaranted affixes:

+78-83 Strenght
+227-379 Life on Hit

Example of weapons adjustment and redesigning Shields:

Fragment of Destiny
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/fragment-of-destiny
making socket possible

add one more guaranted affixes:

Wizardspike
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/wizardspike
making a rival for chantodo - trade off between all res and chantodo's set bonus

dps range increased from 658.1–1030.6 to 658.1–1155.6

Last Breath
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/last-breath
to benefit from "Slain enemies rest in pieces" lets add ls

2.20-3.00% of Damage Dealt Is Converted to Life

Inna's Reach - BIS 2H: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/innas-reach
alternate route for monks

Critical Hit Damage Increased by 59-120%
Lightning skills deal 15-25% more damage

Natalya's Slayer
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/natalyas-slayer
making it useable - ls included

dps range 612.0–973.5 instead of 612.0–853.8
Critical Hit Damage Increased by 66-100%
2.20-2.50% of Damage Dealt Is Converted to Life

edit: more 2H's revised, no nerf for Skorn - buff for the rest:

Immortal King's Boulder Breaker BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/immortal-kings-boulder-breaker
making it usefull while not going the high crit dmg way

One of 4 Magic Properties (varies)
Increases Critical Hit Chance of Overpower by 5-13% (increased from 2-8%)
Increases Critical Hit Chance of Whirlwind by 5-13% (from 2-8%)
Increases Critical Hit Chance of Seismic Slam by 5-13% (2-8%)
Reduces resource cost of Hammer of the Ancients by 3-10 Fury (from 1-5)

empty socket

The Grandfather BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-grandfather
going for survability but sacrificing high dps from Skorn

Defiance Aura on equip - increases armor by 10%, active for all party members

now +2 Random Magic Properties instead of 1

Warmonger BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/warmonger
let's go hp regen way

dps range increased to 847.4–1439.0

Healing Aura on equip, active for all party members - 434-772 Life per Second

+15-16% Life

Heart Slaughter redesigned to ilvl63 BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/heart-slaughter
let's go for damage - but in a different way than Skorn

dps range increased to 710.4–1391.1

Chance to triple the damage of your Critical Hits

Schaefers's Hammer BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/schaeferss-hammer
straight adjustment to dps range

dps range increased to 910.8–1457.9

Maximus BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/maximus
once again damage - but in a different way than Skorn

now +10-25% Damage to Demons

Increases Damage Against Elites by 6-10%

about time to do something with shields:

Stormshield
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/stormshield

Critical Hit Chance Increased by 8-10%
Increases Damage Against Elites by 9-10%

instead of +170-200 Strength, one of 3 Magic Properties (varies)
+170-200 Intelligence
+170-200 Dexterity
+170-200 Strength

Ivory Tower
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/ivory-tower

now reduces damage from melee attacks by 9-15%
regenerates 312-420 life per second
add one more guaranted affix: life on hit 321-367

Lidless Wall redesigned to ilvl63
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/lidless-wall

now +41-66 Resistance to All Elements
Attack Speed Increased by 8-10%
instead of one of 24 Magic Properties one of 58 Magic Properties (varies) - similar to SoJ
increased chance to be shielded when hit by enemies - once every 20s (from 25), duration increased to 3s - from 1s.

few more:

The Traveler's Pledge
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-travelers-pledge
making it useful - since set bonus give crit damage, let's focus on a chance to do those critical hits

Critical Hit Chance Increased by 9-10%

The Compass Rose
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-compass-rose

Attack Speed Increased by 8-9%

set bonus to Endless Path revised:
set is designed around mf rather than dps, lets give it a boost

+100 Vitality
Critical Hit Damage Increased by 50%

40% Better Chance of Finding Magical Items

Tal Rasha's set bonus revised:

(2) Set:

Adds 3% to Fire Damage

(3) Set:

Adds 3% to Lightning Damage

(4) Set:

Adds 3% to Cold Damage
Increases Arcane Power Regeneration by 2.00 per Second

Other topics with my ideas:

What's your most useless passive and skill? Buff them!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7319952329

Make higher MP worth farming!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415151668

Fixing item diversity problem - flexible Item Level

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004696112
Edited by fhantomPL#1840 on 1/23/2013 2:55 AM PST
Buff the hell out of everything........ seems to be everyone's solution, That will only hurt in the long run.
01/23/2013 02:38 AMPosted by KojiBear
Buff the hell out of everything........ seems to be everyone's solution, That will only hurt in the long run.

it's not all about buffing, as stated before, you need to give people more choices and items that improve build diversity, like redesigned frostburn gauntlets, magefist or new helm of command, in my attempt to improve the loot. you should be able to lower your dps and improve your resource regeneration by switching from Vile Ward to new Death Watch Mantle, you should be able to put something different than Skorn if you're using a 2H build.

right now, it's "few OP items that are worth something" against "all the other trash". everyone in long run will look the same, and play the same. it's boring and dull.
Edited by fhantomPL#1840 on 1/23/2013 2:56 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]