Diablo® III

How It Went Terribly Wrong, Because They Listened To Us

to the OP, have say I am very impressed with this post, I only hope one these community managers make sure dev team sees this...

Great post.
Reply Quote
the people who like the game 89%
the people who bash the game 11%
the people who play the game 100%

Studies show... people who bash the game always ruin it for the rest of us. Duh. If we sat back and let blizzard do their thing... yep this game would still be a challenge.
Edited by darkthrone#1400 on 1/21/2013 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Where Diablo is heading...

Diablo III is doomed to lose its popularity because of several key fundamental mistakes in their overall decision-making throughout their progression to improve the game, all they have done is make it dramatically worse. While they implemented several new aspects to the game forward from Diablo II that may work well without these fundamental flaws in the new game distinctly different from the last game.

There is one thing I would add, and to this section of your statement, Diablo 3 has been a PR disaster, with Jay Wilson's fan bashing, to David Brevnik Facebook issue... that has hurt this game as much as the mistakes in improving the game...

I hope this game gets better, but until Blizzard does proper image damage control, take a note on how Bioware handle the PR for Mass Effect 3's ending... if they can do that, then I can see them getting people back... but I feel its very unlikely.

Just my 2 coppers...
Edited by Magnus#1610 on 1/21/2013 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
OP is correct. Blizz listened to "us".

One complaint was that the maps were too generic...it was almost the same every time you play it. Well, I watched the Blizzcon press conference just yesterday and one of the questions thrown directly at the panel (in front of 1,000's of people) was to make the maps less convoluted. D2 maps we're too vast and inconsistent each time u play it.
Reply Quote

Studies show... people who bash the game always ruin it for the rest of us. Duh. If we sat back and let blizzard do their thing... yep this game would still be a challenge.

Your realize Diablo 3 is infamous for the biggest player drop off in the history online games right?
Reply Quote
Except PoE has almost no respecs, the respec system is pretty much useless for anything more than just a few optimizations to you build... It's a game for no-lifers.
Reply Quote

Your realize Diablo 3 is infamous for the biggest player drop off in the history online games right?

this is what you assume... but the numbers speak for themselves
Edited by darkthrone#1400 on 1/21/2013 2:34 PM PST
Reply Quote

Yep they have the highest rate of quitters. But with 11mill subscribers, even if they lost 2mill.....there's still 9mill players. Blizz is doing fine.
Reply Quote
they need to rank all equipments (like gems) so we can break them and be 100% sure they worth something
Reply Quote
Edited as I now disagree with some of the things I said :)
Edited by sedITion#2530 on 1/24/2013 3:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Kids will be kids, everyone complains they don't get enough drops. But just because of this they don't necessarily know the solution. Many of them suggested that they increased the drop rate, more drops! But the knowledgeable people that understand the true way to make a game work would know that the people that were disappointed actually meant more better drops...

I want it to rain the best gear in the game with perfect rolls daddy dev, make it so.

Currently, the Auction House is still an experiment in progress, it has shown both signs of success and failure. The main aspect of failure comes with the large scale of useless goods coming from the loot table, however, there are many fundamental flaws in this system which many players that are knowledgeable can take advantage of the new players.

This is only settled when players learn what stats are useful and what ones are not.

They claim this game has millions of builds, but what they forget to mention is that 99% of them don't work, so you only end up using one build. What they need is to buff every skill, so they all are useful in some way, they have been doing that, but very hesitantly over time, which you can't blame, but changes effect the players too. Nerfs because a skill is overpowered make player's items specialized in that build lose value, the only way you can neutralize the overpowered"ness" is by buffing other skills and making them useful... they don't seem to be too focused on changing the methodology of how a skill works, in order for players to achieve a specialization in their ability.

So then they need to only buff, keep buffing until all skills are over powered. To the point where you could beat inferno Diablo with your starter gear.

Look they have to nerf in order to have a foundation to balance all other skills around. That performance bar is set. Then all other skills in time have to meet that bar.

I don't, but I wish I did. How can Diablo sustain such a system, when it is in competition with other games that have a balanced system unlike this? People will only leave after finding out the game wasn't worth continually playing unless you invested more money than you paid for the game with, unless you're content with forever farming slowly, endlessly, and never beating the game; the game becomes a grind when it's not fun, I should look forward to playing the game rather than looking forward to when I'm lucky.

I am still playing this game. The only time I take a break is when anyone else normally would. Just like I have with all games. I have never played a game religiously to the point where I do not play any other games at all. Sorry my devotion to one game has never been that high.
Reply Quote
The AH is the problem. You can't find upgrades if you have already bought BiS or near-BiS.

If you hunted for all your own gear, you would first ding 60 with something that probably wasn't even max ilvl, then a few hours later you would find something with maybe 50% of the "right" rolls, then 65%, then 75%, then 80%, etc... Each upgrade taking longer to find than the previous one because of the amount of luck you need to beat your previous luckiest drop. By the time you find something with 99% of the right, maximized rolls, it's very hard to find upgrades to that because they practically don't exist. But if you were farming all your own gear, it would take hundreds or thousands of hours to reach that level of gear perfection.

With the AH you just skip to the 95% level and consider all the intervening items vendor trash. (Nobody wants to buy them because the few people with thousands of hours played have flooded the AH with items in the 95-99% perfect rolls bracket.) Your new drops don't just have to beat *your* luckiest previous drop in that slot to be an upgrade, they have to beat the luckiest drops of the person you bought from. (Or the competitors, if you're looking for something to sell rather than to wear.)

Now, I'm definitely not saying the itemization system is perfectly balanced as is. Crit is OP, which leads to there being only a few good ways to gear, but some items are always going to be better than others. Especially when combat and noncombat stats (MF, GF, exp, pickup radius) take up the same affix slots. Having individual resists and all resist on the same table seems like a bad idea too -- unless the individual resists roll like 4-5x the value, AR is obviously just better.

The fundamental problem is using the AH to skip over the middle of gear progression and jump to near-BiS gear you would have taken hundreds of hours to find for yourself. Then you spend hundreds of hours finding gear that is worse than what you bought and !@#$%ing about it.

P.S. I'm playing no-AH, just using the stash to "trade" items between my different characters, and enjoying the hell out of it, but then, I don't have that much time to play so I'm not even 60 yet. It's much easier to make a game that's fun for the first 100 hours than one that still holds up after 10,000, and I'm not sure a gear based game where you have access to everyone else's drops as well as your own can ever really measure up to the latter.
Reply Quote
what kinda runs do you do.
Reply Quote
View profile

Trust me, if the game was balanced you would want to play it a lot more, and yes, you would be a lot farther progressed making the game playable. Looking at your play time, clearly you've hit a slow point. An ideal game would allow you to play by yourself and progress in a balance, rather on relying on pure luck, where some people who hit the jackpot first become the best and the rest lag behind and stop playing. The pure reason for the player drop in the first place.

Trust you, really ?
If game was balanced..why tons of people play it, most likely many who NEVER post on forums,and love game just fine,minus stupid forum complaints.
I am rather sure his progression is adequate for him. He doesn't seem to be in any pain,or...
DII required luck,remember , no ?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]