Diablo® III

How It Went Terribly Wrong, Because They Listened To Us

I saw the video in the OPs post for the first time since it was released back in 2008. I admit, it put me into a pretty foul mood. It's like everything awesome in that trailer was scrapped.
Edited by Fatality#1331 on 1/22/2013 12:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Scrapped because Brevik left or fired or who knows what. The fact is the game in that video wouldn't have even came out until probably fall of this year. They made a lot of sacrafices, pushed for a release, and they got it, end of story.
Reply Quote
I want that feeling that when you find a rare, you spend a long !@# time comparing it with your current gear, not just looking if it has 3 sockets, all resist, and main stat + vit.

And having to spend a long time to identify each item and resorting on only picking up i63 items.

I don't even see the point on that. We don't even have someone to identify all the stuff for us in one go.
Reply Quote
How it went terribly wrong: bad ideas by clueless team that doesn't know Diablo.

Of course listening blindly to majority requests can kill any game. That's why a SKILLED development team can filter through 99% of bad requests and internalize good ones.

This game was doomed before the seed was planted back in 2000 something. Not because they 'listened to us'. It has nothing to do with them listening to us, it has everything to do with having no real vision for the game or a means by which to realize it in staying true to Diablo. This thread infuriates me.
Reply Quote
How it went terribly wrong: bad ideas by clueless team that doesn't know Diablo.

Of course listening blindly to majority requests can kill any game. That's why a SKILLED development team can filter through 99% of bad requests and internalize good ones.

This game was doomed before the seed was planted back in 2000 something. Not because they 'listened to us'. It has nothing to do with them listening to us, it has everything to do with having no real vision for the game or a means by which to realize it in staying true to Diablo. This thread infuriates me.

Sounds familiar.
Reply Quote
The trailer did look better than the game currently does. Little things like THUNDER happening randomly in the background.

The screens not clustered to h3ll with flashes and bangs, so you can see things happening better.

The fatality's look pretty sweet also.

Oh well I guess...
Reply Quote
everything you say is correct
Reply Quote
01/20/2013 09:15 PMPosted by Sol
Do you still play Diablo III as much as you did when you first started?

Not at all. I play about three times more, because the game is constantly growing, and getting better. I might be the only one left who actually still likes D3..
Reply Quote
after 12 years of remake, there are tons of games that has better loot system. Developers should have gotten heaps of ideas how to make loot system better. Like for example in ragnarok, certain mobs drop certain rare items. And that item can only be looted in that certain mob in lets say 1% chance. In that case, players can farm particular mobs if they're after a specific item they want.
Reply Quote
Because "kids" are Blizzards target new market. They are easily satisfied with pretty graphics mindless action. They also like to argue about who has the highest number(ie damage).

Instead of saying D3 failed, its more accurate to assume D3 sold out. Any random person can pick up the game and as long as they have the patience/real cash they can become "L33t".

I agree with this response, sums up what I'd say.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 10:32 PMPosted by GotThatHype
Any legendary item found in act 4 inferno should be viable.

This is completely impossible. The definition of "viable" is "better than all the other items you have access to", either from your own drops or the AH (if you use it).

All the items can't be better than all the other items. It's a logical impossibility. Some items are going to be better and others are going to be worse. If you have very good items already, the vast majority are going to be worse. If the AH has very good items already, the vast majority of what you find is not going to sell well.

And if you drop the rose colored nostalgia goggles, you'd remember that it was the same way in D2. Sift through lots of junk, find a few great items.
Reply Quote
After watching the OP posted video, I open the mouth like a fish because I can't freaking believe I am playing the Diablo 3 right now!!! There are so much differences between the actual game and this gameplay trailer. The graphics were darker and spooky, graphical effects were more intense and vibrant, armors were much much more detailed and cool, voice act was better, the soundtrack during the boss fight was amazing and intense, big pack of enemies trying to ambush you when you entered their traps...... Oh and the ladder :D

Maybe what we are currently playing is Jayblo 3...... LOL
Edited by Crazy6a3er#6296 on 1/22/2013 5:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
What hapened to that beautiful game of the video?
Reply Quote
I disagree very strongly with OP. The game started out on the right path mid development, but they delayed it to make changes so that the game was more "casual". They strayed away from Diablo 2 so Jay Wilson could make Diablo his way and so that Activision would sell a ton of copies to non-Diablo fans. I don't think any Diablo 2 fans were telling the developers to delay the game as long as it takes to make the game as different from Diablo 2 as possible.

Since the initial release, the game has steadily gotten better and better because they are implementing stuff that we actually want. And what we want is for the game to be more like Diablo 2, which slowly and surely it has. Most of the "casual" fans have spent their money and left the game already anyways, so now they are basically struggling to keep the hardcore fans by giving them what they want.

Don't kid yourself, Jay Wilson thought he knew what made a great Diablo game more than fans did. And he was wrong, we wanted what we were saying we wanted. Now with him gone, we can get completely away from his vision as to what a Diablo game should be.

In my mind, Diablo 3 is a much better game than it was at release BECAUSE they are listening to the players. Patch 1.0.7 is an answer to a lot of the stuff we have been saying here on the message boards and will only make the game that much better.
Reply Quote
I disagree very strongly with OP.

[...]

In my mind, Diablo 3 is a much better game than it was at release BECAUSE they are listening to the players. Patch 1.0.7 is an answer to a lot of the stuff we have been saying here on the message boards and will only make the game that much better.

It is like this person says.

They messed up to sell, and now they have to fix it so people stay.
Reply Quote
I don't see much of a problem with the drops since not all items can be exactly alike. I may have the same gear like the next guy but if you look closely the attributes for each item are completely different. It's really a game of luck like winning the lottery to get the gear with the attribute plus numeric figure you really hoped for.
Reply Quote
You're looking at it from a customer point of view.They designed the loot RNG around the RMAH point of view.Your ideas are in conflict with the ability of the RMAH to make money.It would be REALLY EASY to make drops good, design algorithms that made sense, etc.They DON'T WANT TO. The whole point is to get you scratching off your lottery tickets and buying (or selling) that gear on the AH.That's the point of the game, every game mechanic funnels you toward this.

+1
Reply Quote
This makes me sad to watch, if Diablo3 was this it would have been the greatest game ever. Overcompensating for the AH ruined it with changes and restrictions so that people wouldnt be able to exploit the possibility of profits. Would have loved to play the game in the video and would have waited another 5 years to do so.
Reply Quote
Instead of saying D3 failed, its more accurate to assume D3 sold out. Any random person can pick up the game and as long as they have the patience/real cash they can become "L33t".

Isn't that the point, to progress and become better? D3 certainly took a few wrong turns, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they actually "failed". We're still here arguing about it right?
Edited by Stoney#1537 on 1/22/2013 7:49 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]