Diablo® III

Designing your character for pvp

I am looking to restructure my squishy wizard so that I can be competitive when the new patch officially comes out. I have been playing on the public test realm and have found that the same builds and equipment are not as effective for dueling as for farming. So the purpose of the thread is to try to answer these questions:

1. What equipment should people invest in for pvp?

2. What are the best wizard builds for pvp?

3. What strategies should wizards use against other classes?

4. *Most importantly* What skills do you think will be nerfed after patch 1.07? (for example, storm armor) speculation welcomed
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
EHP first and foremost (see my gear for example) so you don't get one-shot, two-shot, or three-shot.

Teleport and Mirror Image are essential, the former is great for fleeing and repositioning and the latter is mainly used as distraction, temporary tanking, and anti-disable. Combined with the Illusionist passive, they're amazing.

Right now, kiting builds are the way to go. Rely on constantly repositioning and deception. It's a lot more fun than the common farming builds with Archon (hold right click and win) and CM/WW (mash 123, left/right click and win).

tl;dr

1. High EHP gear and a solid main weapon
2. Kiting/mobility builds
3. See #2
4. If Storm Armor gets nerfed, so will Strafe, Wave of Light, and Haunt. Every class has an "OP" ability right now. See #1 and you'll have less issues when fighting those abilities.
Reply Quote
Jaetch nailed it, and if you're looking for more specific information than that there really isn't any that people can be sure of.

Still might be changes to come and no one has a crystal ball to see which skills will endure in the long haul.

As for me, I'm banking on blizzard and gearing accordingly.
Reply Quote
heh, yesterday I took all my BARB's gear and tossed it on my WIZ. ~7600 armor, 600 ish AR, 1200 INT, 2600 STR, 45k DPS, 67k HP, 33% block shield, ~20% dodge. ALL defensive passives, armor spells, slow time, calamity, seeker, thunderstorm -> still got trounced by WD with sacrifice/haunt LOL

I _COULD_ survive one hit, after that > toast... I only tried for 20 minutes, then bye bye
Edited by DethAxe#1328 on 1/21/2013 4:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Jaetch - wow, awesome gear for pvp!
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Jaetch
1. High EHP gear and a solid main weapon

Right now I am using a 4-piece Tal Rasha set for damage and AP regeneration, do you think a 3-piece Zuni set would be a better choice?

I have an echoing fury that I found –1200 dps +298 int, but with no socket or life steal– I like it because of the fear on hit, which works nice against melee classes. Do should I get a new echoing fury or is there a better weapon type for pvp?
Reply Quote
has life regen been proven useful in pvp? saw eric's (troll) post and he geared his toon with 4k life regen with 7k armor and 50k hp or something. funny moment
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 09:08 PMPosted by pichapiegal
has life regen been proven useful in pvp? saw eric's (troll) post and he geared his toon with 4k life regen with 7k armor and 50k hp or something. funny moment

Nope, better invest in high HP pool (like 100k +) no worries about dps, 150k should be enough. And of course mitigation.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 09:08 PMPosted by pichapiegal

Super high ehp/regen barbs do have a place, not unkillable, but it takes a whole lot to do it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]