Diablo® III

Barb's PVP Compendium against other Classes

Here, I will condense everything we know from the PTR, but more importantly, the type of builds we can expect from other classes, their advantages, weaknesses, and builds to counter them.

If you have experience with another class, please post your thoughts.

Done. Start the discussion!
Edited by acrimony#1561 on 1/23/2013 10:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
Demon Hunter Section:

Against Barbs (not top level as my gear makes it an uphill battle) and as a DH, I use the following skills.

1. Evasive Fire - Covering Fire
This attack travels instantly, leaves little to no tracer, has very long range, and generates hatred faster than most other abilities. If the DH shoots from below, the camera angle makes it possible that the Barb gets hit and doesn't know what direction he was shot from! The Covering Fire rune makes it spread a little so the aim doesn't need to be as precise.

2. Impale - Chemical Burn
This attack is fast but not instant, has great damage output, has a DoT effect which cannot be dodged or blocked, and has good range. The DoT and the knife both can critically hit independently, which can lead to big initial hits and weak DoT or vice versa.

3. Sentry - Spitfire Turret
This ability produces an invulnerable turret which fires high damage (non-critically hitting) arrows and rockets (less damage than the arrows). The purpose of this ability is to prevent the Barb from camping certain places by placing a turret there. Also, the turret can effectively scout as it will fire in the direction of an enemy it sees without revealing the position of the DH!

4. Smokescreen - Lingering Fog
This is the best defensive ability in the game, period. It provides invulnerability to damage (but not certain debuffs) as well as making the DH invisible. This is quite effective with Tactical Advantage passive which greatly boosts the DH's movement speed after using it.

5. Preparation - Backup Plan
This ability provides an additional source of the invaluable resource, discipline. Discipline is used for Vault and Smokescreen, both of which aid the DH in defensive ways. Backup Plan adds a chance for the cooldown to not be triggered which may keep the Barb guessing as to if the DH is out of discipline for an opening to attack.

6. Vault - Tumble
This ability provides massive mobility to even outrun a WotB sprinting Barb chasing you! This ability is even more useful with Tactical Advantage and the rune choice cuts on discipline costs.

Passive Skills: Tactical Advantage, Steady Aim, Perfectionist
Tactical Advantage is required against Barbs; the DH cannot survive a toe-to-toe scuffle with a Barb. Steady Aim helps greatly in damage as the DH should never be near an enemy, and if the DH is near the enemy, they shouldn't be attacking but rather vaulting! Perfectionist rounds out the skill list with reduced discipline costs and a sizable EHP upgrade!

There you have it, my overall spec for PVP.
Edited by acrimony#1561 on 1/23/2013 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Monk.
Reply Quote
Witch Doctor Section

For my own notes, I feel that these key-bindings are a must-have, but I know it depends on conditions against good Witch Doctors depend on their methods. If they avoid haunting you, Superstition isn't as effective for fury generation, but it is still a great way to mitigate damage.

Anyway, let's start with the basics: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#cPkXUi!cUe!acYYaZ

1) Practice this build before testing it against a good witch doctor. The biggest change is in the removal of an automatic melee attack generally found in your right-click. To activate Rend, you will need to hold down Shift + Right Click. It took me most of the night to turn my concept into muscle memory, so there will be a learning curve.
Due to our inability to hit for damage, there's no reason we should have Bash, Frenzy, or Cleave in our key bindings. By practicing this set-up, it opens up room for WoTB (rune of which I am still trying to test) and allows for us to counter their hexes and fear procs.

2) I have two ways to mitigate their attacks; Sprint's Rush and War Cry's Veteran's Warning. One could conceivably put in Striding Giant for WoTB, but I feel that the skill is best used for massive damage through Rend's critical hits.

3) Immortal King's Irons, Triumph, and Stormshield are absolutely essential. The reason why is that they all have melee damage reduction. From my understanding and testing, melee damage reduction actually mitigates the damage you get from their pets. By how much, I'm not sure yet. But my survivability improved as I got used to the key bindings and the gear. For the record, you will be expected to have a third Immortal King's piece to gain the three-set bonus.

4) Superstition allows you to take some damage to accrue our class resources. By doing so, it allows you more time to properly use your skills and 'conserve' for an opening when your opponent is vulnerable. When you're haunted or being hit with spirit barrage, the fury generation is so quick, I can't burn enough fury to get rid of it.

5) Rend resource cost reduction. Get it. Now. On your Immortal King's Tribal Bindings and Stone of Jordan. Get it. Get it. Get it. The prices are going to sky rocket for them. By reducing the fury cost to 10, you have more room to spam Rend until you get a critical hit.

6) Rend and Run. It's unfortunate, but it is the only way to counter Witch Doctors. You cannot tank and fight. If you can, I haven't seen anyone do it. Sprint allows you time to regenerate your health and to accelerate fury resources if you're being haunted or hit with Spirit Barrage.

7) Leap has three (potentially four) utilities:

It allows us to escape from ugly situations;
Call of Arreat draws your opponent in for a Rend hit;
Can hide Sprint's tell-tale direction you are kiting to.
It also does some damage as well when you hit them. Near the end of the video below, my finishing move was a Leap crit in WoTB.

8) Some ability to predict your opponent's movement as well as some trickery and manipulation of the battle will be key to winning. It won't be easy, but knowing your opponent's combos and general location/movement will allow you to take advantage of a Rend and Run.

9) WoTB is there for countering hexes and to finish them. Use it sparingly and judiciously. You will see from my videos I popped it too early a few times. The skill is where I used to have Rend.

http://www.twitch.tv/acrimony1561/b/360443374 (the game play gets better as the video goes along; skip to 19 minutes if you want to see the potential for this).
Edited by acrimony#1561 on 1/25/2013 5:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wizard.
Reply Quote
lets do this like

Build Name/Number:
Strength:
Weaknesses:
Counters:

Slight variations of build:

Also everyone bring their other class friends for input!!
Edited by SoLiDAlvi#1156 on 1/23/2013 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Garthandal
How bout puting what you got so far against dex toons as a start Acrimony?

Yea, I figured I would let others add the content first before I add my own. It's less selfish and arrogant to assume my build is the best one available.

Just took on TheDomino (Witch Doctor) and Demon Hunter (Scorpion). Both highly geared characters. I had it very easy with Scorpion, but less so to a degree with TheDomino. I think it is mostly the vessel because I would bring his toon down to minimum health every time, but the vessel would pop. At this point, I think it's mostly fury management; one kill to two deaths for me against the Witch Doctor. The fight would likely go on forever if I had used Sprint's Marathon instead of Run Like the Wind (which I'm getting fond of).
Reply Quote
I'd be interested on how you would fair against ChuckNorris#1885 (WitchDoctor). WD with extremely high hp / damage mitigation would be the toughest opponent for any class IMO.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 11:58 AMPosted by ofgortens
I'd be interested on how you would fair against ChuckNorris#1885 (WitchDoctor). WD with extremely high hp / damage mitigation would be the toughest opponent for any class IMO.

MannerCookie and I have a similar build. Not sure if he did kill ChuckNorris at any point, but there's a stream up if you would like to watch it. I'll test my mettle against Chuck soon.

The big problem with Witch Doctors is that you can't be stationary at any point. It's a guerrila fight at all times. I tried Throw, but they will just throw their dogs to tank out the hits. WOTB is really the only option and it has a two minute refresher time. I refuse to YOLO and cheat anyone out of a competitive fight.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 12:34 PMPosted by acrimony
I refuse to YOLO and cheat anyone out of a competitive fight.

I respect your resolve to not do that. I see many barbs in pubs not carry the same ideology and lose my respect entirely.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 12:34 PMPosted by acrimony

Sry for being noob but I get that YOLO typically means you only live once, but I don't get the context here. Not sure if this is a PVP reference as I have not tried it on PTR.

Please explain? :)
Reply Quote

, but there's a stream up if you would like to watch it. I'll test my mettle against Chuck soon.

Link to said stream?
Edited by Sahbatage#1201 on 1/23/2013 2:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 01:59 PMPosted by Seph

Sry for being noob but I get that YOLO typically means you only live once, but I don't get the context here. Not sure if this is a PVP reference as I have not tried it on PTR.

it simply means that WOTB has a 120 sec cooldown. So barbs can pop WOTB, get a kill on PvP, then go to town until the cooldown is over.

But it would drive me nuts to go 15secs of fighting, then 105 secs in town
Reply Quote

, but there's a stream up if you would like to watch it. I'll test my mettle against Chuck soon.

Link to said stream?

www.twitch.tv/mannercookie

Gonna load up a stream in about 30-45 minutes against TerranceHell.
Reply Quote
it simply means that WOTB has a 120 sec cooldown. So barbs can pop WOTB, get a kill on PvP, then go to town until the cooldown is over.

Makes complete sense! Thanks for the response.
Reply Quote

Oh, you mean the "run like a chicken to town" build. LOL..
Edited by sniperwong#6502 on 1/23/2013 2:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
Okay, it's absolutely mandatory to have Superstition as a passive against Witch Doctors. Anyone disagree? I think the same can be said about Wizards, but I haven't played against a challenging one yet.
Reply Quote
Here's a good example of a Witch Doctor vs. Barbarian fight: http://www.twitch.tv/acrimony1561/b/359956039

Watch the fury metre with Superstition.
Reply Quote
How important has MS been in pvp?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]