Diablo® III

Barb's PVP Compendium against other Classes

01/23/2013 02:31 PMPosted by acrimony
Okay, it's absolutely mandatory to have Superstition as a passive against Witch Doctors. Anyone disagree? I think the same can be said about Wizards, but I haven't played against a challenging one yet.

I haven't tried Superstition yet but doing ok with IP, Juggernaut and Relentless. And WDs are not that much of threat to me compare to those pussies DH who hit hard & SS away.

I can tank WD Haunt and SB, just need to rotate OP CA, Ignore Pain, Pot and stack high Vit + regen.

It's those 400k DHs who unload their full Sharpshooter stack that are hard to counter.
Reply Quote
Dh here :)

I know exactly how barbs can be overpowered in pvp and basically kick the crap out of everyone, not only that but be able to stand there and let someone unload on you and not die.

My barb friend figured it out :) can you?

Im actully stealing some of what can make you guys almost invcible to see if it would work for a dh.

Good luck putting your brains together. If the barb strat works for dhs, everyone is screwed.
Reply Quote

I know exactly how barbs can be overpowered in pvp and basically kick the crap out of everyone, not only that but be able to stand there and let someone unload on you and not die.

Im actully stealing some of what can make you guys almost invcible to see if it would work for a dh.

Good luck putting your brains together. If the barb strat works for dhs, everyone is screwed.

Would it help if I take my words back that DH aren't pussies? LOL..
Reply Quote
Okay, it's absolutely mandatory to have Superstition as a passive against Witch Doctors. Anyone disagree? I think the same can be said about Wizards, but I haven't played against a challenging one yet.

I haven't tried Superstition yet but doing ok with IP, Juggernaut and Relentless. And WDs are not that much of threat to me compare to those pussies DH who hit hard & SS away.

I can tank WD Haunt and SB, just need to rotate OP CA, Ignore Pain, Pot and stack high Vit + regen.

It's those 400k DHs who unload their full Sharpshooter stack that are hard to counter.

Lol i like it so a dh should stand there and let you unload on them? Not really being a @!!%#%!#%, more like catch me if you can before you take a dirt nap. If barbs could disappear as an ability, tell me you wouldnt use it? Or get at least one guaranteed full crit? Thought so. Dhs are not tanks, we are meant to be elusive and hit from a distance. That is unless the strat works then basically your dealing with a tank dh, that can still have almost 200k dps, disappear while having sentries out.
Edited by Crymore#1597 on 1/23/2013 2:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Against Barbs (not top level as my gear makes it an uphill battle) and as a DH, I use the following skills.

1. Evasive Fire - Covering Fire
This attack travels instantly, leaves little to no tracer, has very long range, and generates hatred faster than most other abilities. If the DH shoots from below, the camera angle makes it possible that the Barb gets hit and doesn't know what direction he was shot from! The Covering Fire rune makes it spread a little so the aim doesn't need to be as precise.

2. Impale - Chemical Burn
This attack is fast but not instant, has great damage output, has a DoT effect which cannot be dodged or blocked, and has good range. The DoT and the knife both can critically hit independently, which can lead to big initial hits and weak DoT or vice versa.

3. Sentry - Spitfire Turret
This ability produces an invulnerable turret which fires high damage (non-critically hitting) arrows and rockets (less damage than the arrows). The purpose of this ability is to prevent the Barb from camping certain places by placing a turret there. Also, the turret can effectively scout as it will fire in the direction of an enemy it sees without revealing the position of the DH!

4. Smokescreen - Lingering Fog
This is the best defensive ability in the game, period. It provides invulnerability to damage (but not certain debuffs) as well as making the DH invisible. This is quite effective with Tactical Advantage passive which greatly boosts the DH's movement speed after using it.

5. Preparation - Backup Plan
This ability provides an additional source of the invaluable resource, discipline. Discipline is used for Vault and Smokescreen, both of which aid the DH in defensive ways. Backup Plan adds a chance for the cooldown to not be triggered which may keep the Barb guessing as to if the DH is out of discipline for an opening to attack.

6. Vault - Tumble
This ability provides massive mobility to even outrun a WotB sprinting Barb chasing you! This ability is even more useful with Tactical Advantage and the rune choice cuts on discipline costs.

Passive Skills: Tactical Advantage, Steady Aim, Perfectionist
Tactical Advantage is required against Barbs; the DH cannot survive a toe-to-toe scuffle with a Barb. Steady Aim helps greatly in damage as the DH should never be near an enemy, and if the DH is near the enemy, they shouldn't be attacking but rather vaulting! Perfectionist rounds out the skill list with reduced discipline costs and a sizable EHP upgrade!

There you have it, my overall spec for PVP.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 02:36 PMPosted by sniperwong

I have a pretty good idea of how to deal with Demon Hunters. While Legacy Demon Hunters can be difficult to kill efficiently, they aren't difficult to kill. They are extremely vulnerable in a full party as well -- Wizards as well.

Generally, I would go with Bash, War Cry, Leap / Stomp / Sprint, Ignore Pain, Rend. It depends, but it's a choice between two stun attacks or movements.

For the record, I think movement speed for Barbarians is an absolute must-have. The more I play with Sprint, the less I am dying.
Reply Quote
@Iria -- I am going to post this in the Demon Hunter section. I will leave it there for people to read over and critique. That's the most common Demon Hunter set-up I have seen so far.
Reply Quote
This is my favorite build : Rend & Run
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#dcUYkR!Vch!abbZca
- This is idea build for medium EHP with high dps (if you can take 1 shot from DH, or 1 Haunt from WD)
Strength: High dps, high mobility
Weakness: can not counter stun (no Juggleraunt passive), not primary attack.
Counter: Good build against monk and DH, because it is hard to use weapon throwing against them.

warcry + tough as nail give +46% EHP
Battle rage give +34% dps
Rend with 900% rune because you have Ground Stomp to pull them toward you.
I like ancient spear because Barb/monk are only target for throwing, which doesn't work well against them. and it is really hard to use throw on wiz/wd/dh.

How to play:
- wait for ground stomp cool down, then sprint out to find target.
- hide behind wall, try fool those DH think you are not ready, if they try move toward you then quickly run out, cast ground stomp, Rend and run away.
- when someone chase you, run behind wall and stop, cast Rend before they can see you.
- if ground stomp fail to hit target, use Ancient Spear to grab them (work well on DH)

- if WD cast haunt on you, or other barb bast Rend on you, keep running, it won't take long before regen to full hp.

overall, your dps is very important. if enemy have too much EHP and can't kill with 1 Rend, then you will have trouble (especial monk or barb with high EHP)
Edited by huanAK#6843 on 1/23/2013 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Gonna take on ChuckNorris now.

www.twitch.tv/acrimony1561
Reply Quote
I like Iria's format so i'll copy. As a monk I have the most trouble against a Barb that rends and runs. I've yet to meet a barb that can stand a fight toe to toe with me consistently. Not saying they don't exist... just my experience...

Typical against Barb build:

1. Fist of Thunder - Thunderclap
Teleporting first strike allows me to close the gap and pound away. Also, it's the fastest spirit generator and damage dealer of all the primary skills. This skill goes a long way in helping what i consider a monk's 2 greatest weaknesses: mobility and resource regen.

2. Dashing Strike - Flying Side Kick
Again, mitigate mobility issues and allows me to keep you within hitting range. Without it, have you seen a monk chase a barb on sprint? It's pathetic.

3. Serenity - Ascension
4 secs of invulnerability. It's also a CC break.

4. Seven Sided Strike - Sudden Assault or Pandemonium
This gives me about 1 to 1.5 seconds of invulnerability while dealing out a massive up to 2000% weapons damage. If it crits, consider most of your life gone. Some may like using Wave of Light here but i've been having more success with SSS.

5. Exploding Palm - Flesh is Weak
Baby Rend. It's a barb forum so i shouldn't need to elaborate on this.

6. Mantra of Evasion - Backlash
Maximizes my dodging ability to deal a significant amount of damage. Pretty useless if the barbs run around. If that's the case, probably healing or conviction would be better.

Passive Skills: Pacifism, Sixth Sense, Near Death Experience
Pacifism makes me nearly invincible while i'm stunned. Not 100% sure if it reduces rend damage while stunned but if it does... that's big. Sixth Sense... more dodge. Near Death = free life and spirit.

If the barb tends to be a hit and runner, I typically switch all my dodge skills to spirit regen. If the barb tends to be more stand and fight. I'll switch some dodge skills to more burst damage.

But rend and run barbs are the hardest by far.
Edited by PuddingHead#1779 on 1/23/2013 3:19 PM PST
Reply Quote

Who won? I only caught the last 2 minutes of the feed and was nothing but talking and looking at skills.
Reply Quote

Who won? I only caught the last 2 minutes of the feed and was nothing but talking and looking at skills.

Chuck. Both times. I was too aggressive with him. He's tough to take down. I believe I broke his spirit vessel the first time, but I got rocked the second. The third time was stupid on my part; I wanted to remove a melee attack for Rend in my right-click, but I had forgotten that I would have had to hold down shift each time I wanted to rend him. Not worth it.

Here's the link: http://www.twitch.tv/acrimony1561/b/359975380
Edited by acrimony#1561 on 1/23/2013 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wouldn't it be nice if the game was balanced so that all 5 classes at the TOP level of skill and gear could all be on an even footing? Sure, lesser geared players would complain about "[skill] is OP" and "omg [class] is imba" but in the end, if the top level of play is balanced, it should at least be somewhat entertaining.
Reply Quote
I'm thinking more on it and I don't think Bash or Frenzy can work on melee attacks against Witch Doctors. They'll throw down a Hex and the next five seconds are of you oinking. Throw doesn't really work for me either. It's the skill I use the least. No idea what to put in my melee bar. Tough call.
Reply Quote
Okay, the following skills are available in the right-click keys:

Ground Stomp, Seismic Slam, Ancient Spear, Revenge, Furious Charge, Weapon Throw, EarthQuake, Call of the Ancients, Hammer of the Ancients, Rend, Seismic Slam, Whirlwind.

The rest are Bash, Frenzy, and Cleave.

Since Rend is the dominant skill for us, I would think Stomp fits in best for us. Whichever skill you choose, hit Shift + Right Click and it activates. Otherwise, it won't activate if you are clicking around the map.
Reply Quote

@sniperwong
Strong WD is way harder than any DH imo. They disregard rend, they have summons to block my WT, they have dogs to absorb 10% of all incoming damage, some even have really good ehp. They can heal 26khp with one dog explosion. And btw, they hit way harder than DH. If you happen to meet a good one.

I easily tank 300kdps+ DH with IP+relentless giving me a 7secs to net a kill. Leap or run off if i failed. Against WD, if i rush in, most certainly i get hex and killed on spot by haunt+bearrush.
Edited by Horngyuh80#6218 on 1/23/2013 4:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, the shift-click tactic is what I use to fire Evasive Fire shots from off-screen if I know the general direction of the target.
Reply Quote
Just faced a few Witch Doctors. None are as tough as ChuckNorris' toon, and one just ran into town. I thought YOLT wasn't allowed? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7709281451
Reply Quote
If I remember correctly I had a good dueling session with chucknorris and he was in awe that I could actually beat him
Edited by FriendlyFade#1865 on 1/23/2013 4:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 04:43 PMPosted by FriendlyFade
If I remember correctly I had a good dueling session with chucknorris and he was in awe that I could actually beat him

Interesting, he said that no Barbs have beaten him.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]