Diablo® III

When to invest in SoJ?

I'm a little confused as when to invest in an SoJ or whether I even should?

What are the benefits of the SoJ compared to the ring on my left or right hand? Should I move to an SoJ? If so which hand? What does it do other than slow mobs down?

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
Which hand does not matter.

SoJ is best in slot now for PvE and it is going to be even better next patch for PvP because players are considered elites.

Get one ASAP in my opinion.
Reply Quote
What stats are important in an SoJ? What should I be looking for?
Reply Quote
Cold damage and at least 25% bonus would be ideal. It doesn't matter too much if u get a SoJ based on another class unless you are willing to pay the huge difference for the barb bonus.
Reply Quote
Thank you very much...

now I need pho to help me decide whether it should replace my left hand or right. LOL.

I'm terrible at this game....I dunno why I play it! :3
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Prisus
What stats are important in an SoJ? What should I be looking for?

Depends on your price range...barb SoJ's are more expensive, but I believe in the long run they are worth it. I have had the same one equipped since September. If you can afford one like I have, and get a bonus chance to a skill you use go for it. Also, cold damage is important, its the only elemental damage that does something other then turn the enemies pretty colors.
Reply Quote
Prisus, I recently switched to an SoJ and it's been great. I recently upgraded from my 6/29 cold/vs elites SoJ to a perfect 6/30. If you want it's still up for sale on the AH and one of the only ones in that bracket currently available. Let me know if you'd like me to save it for you or not.

EDIT: Sorry, my old one that's currently at AH is 5% cold and 30% vs elites.
Edited by Punxx#1191 on 1/23/2013 3:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
The most annoying thing about this is the inability to filter for cold damage soj's. I can't help but think I'm not getting a good deal just cause I'm too lazy to go through 200 pages of soj's

-Gillars
Reply Quote
while a barb soj would be ideal, I think barb (at least the way I play) is the least affected by a flat resource increase. If you can get one with an active skill you use that's great, but as already stated, non-barb ones are much cheaper. Imo soj priority is cold damage > high dam vs elites > useful barb skill > fury gain. But again that is just me.
Reply Quote
@OP

I picked up an SOJ with holy dmg, 29%dmg to E's, and WW crit chance....it's simply awesome.
I was in a 3 man party taking on the king and his witch when all of a sudden the king smoked my bros with one foul swoop....SOJ allowed me to take care of the king, revive my bros and finish the witch before enrage kicked in. I'd love to have a cold SOJ (with usable properties), just can't afford it. I typically run a mighty wep (holy dmg) for farming and a dagger (holy damage) for ubers. When key farming mp8-10 it smashes e-packs...and running red doors mp8-10 it's a must have if you're not packing major tdps.

I was really skeptical about buying one but am so pleased that I did. Cheers.
Reply Quote
SoJ is BiS.
Reply Quote
But dun get throw soj with cold. Not worth it. :)
Reply Quote
So out of curiosity, my paper dps went to the pooper after i switched to the SoJ. Is that normal?

How do i know that I actually got a buff or not?
Reply Quote
d3rawr.com

look at your tDPS.

Paper DPS is for epeen only when it comes to WW....it is a guideline at best....the sooner you learn to ignore it, the better off you will be.
Reply Quote
Also, would cold SOJ apply to non-WW builds like HOTA?

It's not only dps that you lose out when equipping SOJ, but also stats, CC etc.
Edited by rahl#6100 on 1/23/2013 5:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
SoJ is 100% worth it. Like Wayneold said its only your paper DPS that goes to !@#$. Dont pay attention to that. Pay attention to how much u crit. For me when i use my regular ring i crit from 1.8-2.3 mil but when i have my SoJ on i crit 2.5-3 mil. Significant difference in dmg output. Also if your going to get a SoJ you might as well get 30% to maximize your dmg.
Reply Quote
best in slot? ???!!

my cheap rare ring give +18% dps. when I take off my rare ring, my dps lower to 82%

so after put on 30% soj, my dps on white mob = 82% , dps on elite = 0.82 x 1.3 = 106.6%, wow, the best in slot item give me 6.6% dps !!!! and I have to lost hundred of armor, as well as resist/vit just for 6.6% dps !!!!

of course if you have black weapon, it will add more dps (0.82 x 1.37 soj = 111.5%, that +11.5% dps for perfect soj)

and my rare ring only cost under 10mil, I am sure you can get +30% dps from godly rare ring (150str, 30-70dmg, 6cc, 50cd, 9ias ring = +33.6% dps to my stat)
Reply Quote
best in slot? ???!!

my cheap rare ring give +18% dps. when I take off my rare ring, my dps lower to 82%

so after put on 30% soj, my dps on white mob = 82% , dps on elite = 0.82 x 1.3 = 106.6%, wow, the best in slot item give me 6.6% dps !!!! and I have to lost hundred of armor, as well as resist/vit just for 6.6% dps !!!!

of course if you have black weapon, it will add more dps (0.82 x 1.37 soj = 111.5%, that +11.5% dps for perfect soj)

and my rare ring only cost under 10mil, I am sure you can get +30% dps from godly rare ring (150str, 30-70dmg, 6cc, 50cd, 9ias ring = +33.6% dps to my stat)

Stat sheet DPS is not the same as damage output for WW barbs.

Your argument is invalid

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3phnll/
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 1/23/2013 8:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
Also, would cold SOJ apply to non-WW builds like HOTA?

It's not only dps that you lose out when equipping SOJ, but also stats, CC etc.

Depends how good your surrounding gear is....there is no real cut and dry answer for that when it comes to HoTA.
Reply Quote
http://www.d3rawr.com/d

Don't go by the in game DPS or any calc. for that matter, alone. The slowing affect of the cold SoJ is very difficult to measure.... Mobs are slowed and linger in your tornadoes for more damage, the slow allows you more easily take adavantage of skills like brawler etc. I consider it best in slot for PvE.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]