Diablo® III

When to invest in SoJ?

best in slot? ???!!

my cheap rare ring give +18% dps. when I take off my rare ring, my dps lower to 82%

so after put on 30% soj, my dps on white mob = 82% , dps on elite = 0.82 x 1.3 = 106.6%, wow, the best in slot item give me 6.6% dps !!!! and I have to lost hundred of armor, as well as resist/vit just for 6.6% dps !!!!

of course if you have black weapon, it will add more dps (0.82 x 1.37 soj = 111.5%, that +11.5% dps for perfect soj)

and my rare ring only cost under 10mil, I am sure you can get +30% dps from godly rare ring (150str, 30-70dmg, 6cc, 50cd, 9ias ring = +33.6% dps to my stat)

Your rare ring made me frown...
You comparing that to a SOJ? seriously??
Reply Quote
Also, would cold SOJ apply to non-WW builds like HOTA?

It's not only dps that you lose out when equipping SOJ, but also stats, CC etc.

I can say without hesitation that my HotA reduction SoJ was the second-most impactful single upgrade that I've ever made in the entirety of the time I've played this game. (#1 was my Skorn)

It doesn't necessarily have to be a cold SoJ. The benefits are huge for any build.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 1/23/2013 9:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Also, would cold SOJ apply to non-WW builds like HOTA?

It's not only dps that you lose out when equipping SOJ, but also stats, CC etc.

Depends how good your surrounding gear is....there is no real cut and dry answer for that when it comes to HoTA.

HOTA and hammer jordan is a beast ! 5 fury = 1% crt chance of HOTA > 13 max fury = 2%and 15 = 3% .

HOTA spend 20 fury and you save max 5 > 1/4 fury spending.....and dont forget max fury increase HOTA crt% in 1/5 fury. Slower the fury drop higher crt % maintain.
Reply Quote
WTS COLD BARB SOJ:

+ 6% to Cold Damage
+ 14 Max Fury
+ 27% Damage Against Elites
+ 7% Frenzy Damage

C/O 76M
Reply Quote
When I got serious about MP10 ubers I bought a SOJ. It is an excellent ring. Only problem is the price....
Reply Quote
best in slot? ???!!

my cheap rare ring give +18% dps. when I take off my rare ring, my dps lower to 82%

so after put on 30% soj, my dps on white mob = 82% , dps on elite = 0.82 x 1.3 = 106.6%, wow, the best in slot item give me 6.6% dps !!!! and I have to lost hundred of armor, as well as resist/vit just for 6.6% dps !!!!

of course if you have black weapon, it will add more dps (0.82 x 1.37 soj = 111.5%, that +11.5% dps for perfect soj)

and my rare ring only cost under 10mil, I am sure you can get +30% dps from godly rare ring (150str, 30-70dmg, 6cc, 50cd, 9ias ring = +33.6% dps to my stat)

This is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

1. The godly ring you're looking at would cost you more than 10 BN. My Perfect HoTA SoJ cost only a fraction of that.
2. The ring gives you that much DPS because your supporting gear is so, so much inferior to the quality of the ring you indicated. SoJ scales much better with gear than ANY rare ring since it effectively increases the damage of all your gear by 30%+.

For your benefit, I ran some numbers for you. I have included both tDPS and Paper DPS numbers here so there is no doubt.

tDPS Comparisons
tDPS with SoJ vs Elites: http://www.d3rawr.com/d-uE6z1 - 2.45 mn
tDPS with 150str, 30-70dmg, 6cc, 50cd, 9ias ring: http://www.d3rawr.com/d-7O6q10m7 - 2.22 mn

Difference of tDPS in SoJ's favour: (2.45 mn - 2.22 mn) / 2.22 mn = 10.3% more effective.
You have 13 gear slots, which is 7.7% per slot.

Paper DPS Comparisons (includes effects of OPKS)
DPS with SoJ vs Elites: 701k
DPS with 150str, 30-70dmg, 6cc, 50cd, 9ias ring: 662k

Difference of Paper DPS in SoJ's favour: (701k - 662k) / 662k = 5.9% more effective.

TLDR
SoJ is BiS for DPS. This does not even take into account the utility of SoJ like - fury cost / +crit damage and in addition the +Fury amounts. And o yea, Cold Damage snare.
Edited by DAKKON#6113 on 1/24/2013 1:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
best in slot? ???!!

This is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

1. The godly ring you're looking at would cost you more than 10 BN. My Perfect HoTA SoJ cost only a fraction of that.
2. The ring gives you that much DPS because your supporting gear is so, so much inferior to the quality of the ring you indicated. SoJ scales much better with gear than ANY rare ring since it effectively increases the damage of all your gear by 30%+.

For your benefit, I ran some numbers for you. I have included both tDPS and Paper DPS numbers here so there is no doubt.

tDPS Comparisons
tDPS with SoJ vs Elites: http://www.d3rawr.com/d-uE6z1 - 2.45 mn
tDPS with 150str, 30-70dmg, 6cc, 50cd, 9ias ring: http://www.d3rawr.com/d-7O6q10m7 - 2.22 mn

Difference of tDPS in SoJ's favour: (2.45 mn - 2.22 mn) / 2.22 mn = 10.3% more effective.

Paper DPS Comparisons (includes effects of OPKS)
DPS with SoJ vs Elites: 701k
DPS with 150str, 30-70dmg, 6cc, 50cd, 9ias ring: 662k

Difference of Paper DPS in SoJ's favour: (701k - 662k) / 662k = 5.9% more effective.

TLDR
SoJ is BiS for DPS. This does not even take into account the utility of SoJ like - fury cost / +crit damage and in addition the +Fury amounts. And o yea, Cold Damage snare.

Wah... you all maths pro man.....
Reply Quote
I can say without hesitation that my HotA reduction SoJ was the second-most impactful single upgrade that I've ever made in the entirety of the time I've played this game. (#1 was my Skorn)

It doesn't necessarily have to be a cold SoJ. The benefits are huge for any build.

True but then I dropped the skorn for a DW build (not to say I won't return to it one day - I still miss the big hits but keeping wrath up is much easier).
Reply Quote
HOTA and hammer jordan is a beast ! 5 fury = 1% crt chance of HOTA > 13 max fury = 2%and 15 = 3% .

HOTA spend 20 fury and you save max 5 > 1/4 fury spending.....and dont forget max fury increase HOTA crt% in 1/5 fury. Slower the fury drop higher crt % maintain.

Good point, I will miss 5.5 or 4.5 cc from one of the rings, but it may not matter that much with a - HOTA SOJ.
Reply Quote
I read this thread and jump to AH immediately... I am so lucky and snipped a -5 Weapon Throw SoJ :P

But the problem comes... I was paper dps ~100k and now paper dps vs elite is ~120k... in MP10 I died coz of reflect dmg... obviously need to work hard to balance it...
Edited by ßlwøød#1113 on 1/24/2013 6:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well Damn i just bought a EF and a cheap !@# soj cold ring with 25% dmg to elits(non barb bonus one) and sheeet u can tell the diff O_O its definetly worth it like acrimony said paper dps is only eeepeen dats it... use d3rawr tdps.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 07:10 AMPosted by G3N3S1S
Well Damn i just bought a EF and a cheap !@# soj cold ring with 25% dmg to elits(non barb bonus one) and sheeet u can tell the diff O_O its definetly worth it like acrimony said paper dps is only eeepeen dats it... use d3rawr tdps.

Never mistake me for acrimony again!

d3rawr.com

look at your tDPS.

Paper DPS is for epeen only when it comes to WW....it is a guideline at best....the sooner you learn to ignore it, the better off you will be.

o_0
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 1/24/2013 7:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
OH lols it was u wayneold so sorry XD
had him in the back of my mind when i posted for some reason *blushes*
Edited by G3N3S1S#1693 on 1/24/2013 7:24 AM PST
Reply Quote

http://thefunnycat.net/never-do-that-again/
Reply Quote
Thanks Wayne and fellow barb brothers.

Ended up getting a decent barb cold SoJ (equipped) for only 40M...thought I got a deal hopefully i did.

Anyway i did notice that mobs just "chill" in my nades for longer....it's nice to easy mode fury gen. Really helps in Arreat where all those idiot kiting Occultists are....MAN I HATE THOSE ROTUND RUNNERS....

Now I don't have to chase those morons around which is nice. Thanks for the advice.

On another note...Looking through over 100 pages of SoJs is terrible...but finding a good one at a good deal is totally worth it!
Reply Quote
Stupid question: Are ubers also considered elites?
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 08:26 AMPosted by Prisus
Stupid question: Are ubers also considered elites?

yes, as are players in pvp.
Reply Quote
Besides your obvious rare and champion elite packs. Ubers and bosses are considered superuniques (and those pesky normal super unique monsters that stik). Players are also considered elites.
Reply Quote
I will also add that treasure goblins are also considered elites, so if you're having trouble downing them on a high MP, a SoJ might be all you need to close that gap.

01/24/2013 03:44 AMPosted by rahl
True but then I dropped the skorn for a DW build (not to say I won't return to it one day - I still miss the big hits but keeping wrath up is much easier).

Skorn vs DW is a different discussion entirely. The bottom line is, though, pretty much any barb, regardless of the build they play or the weapons they use, should seriously consider a SoJ when their supporting gear is good enough and they have enough funds to afford a good one. As DAKKON said, it scales better than anything else canl with gear. 30% damage from a single ring no matter what your gear level is is somewhat shocking when you think about it. Especially for the end-game players that are already hitting the highest breakpoints and having over 200k unbuffed DPS with one equipped. Can't say enough good things about it.
Reply Quote

I have that effect on women too. Don't be ashamed. Embrace it. Just keep your distance from me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]