Diablo® III

(Hopefully) Constructive Criticism

FOR ALL MONKS LOOKING FOR GEAR/BUILD ADVICE

After talking with various powerful Monks all day yesterday, I felt a little constructive criticism is warranted. It seems that many of you who are 1) just starting out, 2) are returning from an absence, 3) have goals much higher than your current status, are frequently creating threads with the exact same question: "How do I make my Monk better?"

All the threads with "How much is enough resist?" "Is this a good weapon?" "What gear should I change?" "How do I hit X DPS?" are embodied in this single question: "How do I make my Monk better?"

My criticism is this question has already been answered in the threads; many times.

Furthermore, after asking this question, most people seem to be expecting to be handed a checklist: change this skill, buy this equipment, run these levels, rinse and repeat... But if there was such a checklist, we would all be the same level, same EHP, same DPS, etc. and life would be boring. If this is the route you want, you're basically asking to be given homework. Then the game is no fun. You should use the guides, threads and videos that already exist and add your personal creativity and intellect to fill in the rest.

All the information you need to establish a path from where you are and where you want to be is already here; you don't need to ask things like what you should upgrade next or how to get more DPS/more resists, just look around. I used Piffle's guide as a basis for re-booting my Monk after an absence. Vrkhyz has some excellent threads with the math and numbers, as well as simplemath. I found another thread and companion YouTube video giving me tips on how to make some gold in the AH, in addition to what drops to pick up as you run. Jco310 started a thread for FREE mp10 (usually) Uber runs if you provide the machines. 99% of the Monks here have profiles you can view. DiabloProgress.com and D3Up.com can give you some more insight to your personal numbers regarding gear. Even the "Rate the Monk Above You" threads are helpful to a point.

There is no reason to be constantly (for lack of a better word) nagging about what your next step should be unless you are just plain lazy; and being lazy doesn't put you in the top tier of Monks. All the steps are already laid out before you.

Building your Monk should be fun, challenging, rewarding and it should stretch your creativity and intellect a bit. Read what's out there. Watch some YouTube videos. Add some creative juice. Use your brain. And HAVE FUN. :)
Reply Quote
Sadly not everyone is that hardworking when it comes to reading those lengthy guides.

I doubt most wouldnt even bother to read this wall-o-text.
Reply Quote
I agree with you it is much better to look into what gear is best yourself then to ask someone else directly. However not every player is going to be spending even an hour trying to figure out gear and just some general fast advice on gear can help someone. I don't mind trying to help new monks gear up personally and it helps me to think of better gear choices for my monk also.
Like recently I was dead set against using vile ward cause I didn't like the way it looked at the time but do now. Anyhow I got one but it had this stat I wasn't really ever using health globe health and after trying it out I found out it's one of my fav stats so I got it on my globes and a few other pieces. I wouldn't have gotten it as soon if I didn't come looking / offering for advice probably.
Reply Quote
I second that.

Trial, error and hundred millions of gold to build a decent monk.
Reply Quote
I would also like to add: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415793376

I'm not trying to spam or endorse my own thread. I'm a newb, however, many answers to many questions asked can be found in that compilation.
Reply Quote
Yeah I know the forums get flooded with these threads perhaps we could get the blu's to sticky this so the new monks and any body else with similar questions can have easy access to this information.

I do feel that I tend to try and help out as much as I can so this pavlovian positive reinforcement is counter to what you are stating but it helps me pass the time and I try to be diverse in what I suggest not just try to make mass clones of myself in my help suggestions.

But yes I approve this message and the help threads need to be sticky'ed.
Reply Quote
I've actually asked some people (who started those threads) if they've read the guides / gone through the threads. They did, but they still felt the need to create the thread to ask the question, because they still don't have an idea of what to do with their monk. My mind was blown because all of the information about what to do next is typically contained in the threads listed in Kameljabber's compilation of useful threads.

My suggestion to all of those people is this: if you feel the need to create a new thread, then put your own critical thought into the thread. Analyse your own monk, identify your own problem areas, and how you plan to fix it. Put that in the OP, and ask people what they think, whether you are on the right track, whether this is the best way to spend their gold. It'll stretch your own critical thinking skills with the game, and in the long run. be more independent when it comes to building out your monk.

Sadly, I have a feeling that many won't take advice such as these. Some are either simply too lazy to do this or too afraid to make a mistake when moving up. (I have been encouraged by some, when posting a link to guides that they thanked me or whoever posted the link and said that they'd read up). I guess well see where this goes...
Reply Quote
My suggestion to all of those people is this: if you feel the need to create a new thread, then put your own critical thought into the thread. Analyse your own monk, identify your own problem areas, and how you plan to fix it. Put that in the OP, and ask people what they think, whether you are on the right track, whether this is the best way to spend their gold. It'll stretch your own critical thinking skills with the game, and in the long run. be more independent when it comes to building out your monk.
Reply Quote
Hmmm, when I first came to these forums and read the guides, I was:
01/24/2013 05:33 AMPosted by Nameless
too afraid to make a mistake when moving up.

When you don't have a lot of gold and don't know when you are getting more, it is intimidating to think you could end up with crap. I think I posted one or two threads asking for clarification of some points, but since then I just read, follow along, and check out everyone's gear. And I live at d3up >_> And even with all that I have made mistakes! The thing is, you are going to make mistakes, because you need to find what suits your own playstyle and needs, and that requires tinkering. The threads and people here are a helpful guideline, but you are absolutely right that no one here can just give anyone else a checklist.

So I can somewhat see where many newbies are coming from and I will post and tap them in the direction of a specific guide or KamelJabber's thread and casually mention d3up. I have been AMAZED at how many people don't have a clue that site exists (even from my friends list with people higher paragon than me!). If I see something that is obvious to me, I will mention it (because if it is obvious to me, it's pretty bad, I am rather new still O_o), but mostly they need to figure it out themselves.

Even if the threads get stickied... I think the Help Me! threads will always end up posted, because there are those who don't want to read. But they also generally don't want to do the work, so... Kind of part of the entitled society we live in now I think. The "give it to me now! I don't need to work for it." mindset.
Reply Quote
What defines a "powerful Monk" and how can I become one? I want haz powerful :/
Reply Quote
In regards to making mistakes -- it is always better to make mistakes early on when mistakes are cheap. I made a lot of poor gearing choices before I completely re-geared my monk from head to toe (right around the 60K dps mark). Those poor gearing choices were a blessing in disguise, for that is what helped me put together my own guide -- a compilation of lessons learned for myself. I don't pretend to be an expert in gearing out a monk, but I can say that I have a pretty good understanding of the fundamentals of building a monk now - but I wouldn't have gotten here had it not been for (1) mistakes I make and (2) helpful folks from the monk forums.

Personally, I'm at a point that any significant upgrade for my monk will likely be >15M if not >20M. It takes me a LOT of time to amass that kind of fortune, and so right around now, I'd be very nervous about making a mistake because they can cost me around that much if I end up buying a piece of junk that is not worth the price I paid (and I cannot recoup a chunk of it). I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up creating a thread listing out my budget, the choices I see myself having at this time, and soliciting folks for their opinions to see if I missed anything... although I don't see myself doing this until after 1.0.7 drops, as gearing prices will likely make a big shift at that point and I don't want to be caught holding a worthless piece of crap as the markets shift.

TL;DR - Make your mistakes while they are still cheap and learn your lessons. You'll benefit greatly from that in the long run, as it may prevent you from making expensive mistakes in the future.
Reply Quote
It is one thing asking for advice by listing clear budgets, targets in mind and even give a self-analysis so ppl can have a better idea of your understanding.

Threads that come in with 3 words (Rate my monk) deserve flaming.
Reply Quote
Sadly not everyone is that hardworking when it comes to reading those lengthy guides.

I doubt most wouldnt even bother to read this wall-o-text.

I read it.. but only because I've played with Lestat and they weren't a complete !@# like most awesomely geared monks I've met. Goes to show, I guess.
Reply Quote
It is one thing asking for advice by listing clear budgets, targets in mind and even give a self-analysis so ppl can have a better idea of your understanding.

Seriously. Just go to town on them. They're basically asking to be (1) flamed; (2) trolled; or (3) criticized beyond recognition so that they will never show their face in the forums again.
Reply Quote
I just equip !@#$ with green numbers. ¯\(°_o)/¯
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 07:58 AMPosted by Narcolepsy
I just equip !@#$ with green numbers. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Hah! Epic shrug!
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 07:58 AMPosted by Narcolepsy
¯\(°_o)/¯

Seriously. I need to make this my sig in these forums. :P
Reply Quote
Narc, my numbers are green but they have a minus sign...surely this can't be better gear????

:)
Reply Quote

Yes.

01/24/2013 08:05 AMPosted by Nameless
¯\(°_o)/¯

Seriously. I need to make this my sig in these forums. :P

Do it!
Reply Quote
*snip*

I'm pretty sure I feel like I answer the "same" questions repeatedly for gearing, and not just here on the forums. I don't mind sometimes, and especially as Nameless pointed out, when there is some kind of thought put into the question. When it becomes a series of "and then what?" that's when my desire to help sharply drops.

If you can't be bothered with learning your character, so you can get something, for yourself, why should I take my time away from helping someone who is to help you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]