Diablo® III

What MP do you run?

Monk: MP 2-4 Depending on how much of a challenge I want.
DH: MP2 Will bump this up when I get more dps.
WD and Barb: MP1 just because I don't have alot of practice on both classes.

Group play I'm comfortable with my monk up to MP8. Playing on MP8 brings back those old school days where you have to be on with your timing of skills/positioning or your character will take a face plant right into a elites wang.

Minus the health part.
Reply Quote
have a crappy computer so i play solo -

started mp2 this week and had a few close calls with some affixes. Not trying higher mp until i get some higher ar and life, i think im already pushing it based on what i see people doing in this thread, hahaha

mp0/1 is all right enough and I run that when mp2 throws a tough affix at me and send me running for the exit.
Reply Quote
With my WD, which is my most comfortable class:face roll mp1/2: mp3 starts to slow down kill time but still not too bad, mp4/5 I've only done in a group of 4 which was about like doing mp3 solo because of kill time and damage was about the same b/c of buffs.

Mp0=zzzzzzzz - play when drinking lol
Reply Quote
to paraphrase you: "playing a3mp0 with geared out characters doesn't make you optimal, just a coward"

Why don't u try that with a wizard instead of a witch doctor? I still have trouble with act3 inferno mp0 and I'm at 95k dmg.

01/25/2013 11:36 AMPosted by drudometkin
Mp1/2. on act 3. I don't like mp0, too boring. I don't think mp0 should even be in the game.

Says the OP barbarian...
Edited by Dmurda#1599 on 1/25/2013 9:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
Monk: MP 2-4 Depending on how much of a challenge I want.
DH: MP2 Will bump this up when I get more dps.
WD and Barb: MP1 just because I don't have alot of practice on both classes.

Group play I'm comfortable with my monk up to MP8. Playing on MP8 brings back those old school days where you have to be on with your timing of skills/positioning or your character will take a face plant right into a elites wang.

Minus the health part.

He's talking about 1.03 probably... where the mobs had like 115% 240% 375% or something goofy like that when you grouped up. On top of all that, legendaries didn't drop left and right, shields didn't have 600 stats, amulets capped out at 65 cd 8 cc, rings, etc. Level 60 rares did not roll as level 63 items, and drops in inferno act 3 still yielded tons of 54's that were completely useless. Basically gear availability was very scarce, as a result, unlike the way it is now, only around 170 players could clear inferno, and farm act 3 comfortably. #170 was HCBigAug, the last of the inferno clears when it still meant something. The amount of mitigation available was pretty bad too, so even some trash mobs were hitting 7k on monks and over 9000 on casters even with the OP old 20/50 Impunity. I'd have to agree the 4mans in 1.03 act 3 felt closest to how mp7/8 feels now, maybe closer to 7 though...

Minus the enrage part.
Edited by Bnetplayer#11398 on 1/25/2013 10:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
Mp3 on barb for loot
Mp6 for key runs
Mp5 on Wizard for loot

Anything lower than MP3 on my barb and I can't keep up fury to keep whirlwinding :/ (skorn)
Reply Quote
Why don't u try that with a wizard instead of a witch doctor? I still have trouble with act3 inferno mp0 and I'm at 95k dmg.

Dmurda, if I was having issues in mp0 then that is the difficulty I should be in since obviously I am not cruise controlling through it. My statement was aimed at those who play mp0 and can basically click one button and stay at 90% health (exaggerating some obviously)

Also, yeah... I know you don't know this but I played a pet WD from day one, you know back when pets only scaled off of strength, dex, armor, and res with no max on the amount of damage they could take. I know what it is like to play a tough class and like you I was never able to test stuff on SC.

Edit:
I was horrible with Sorc in D2 as well, I just have never been able to play a mage well... no matter the game. I just lack the instincts for it.
Edited by Lykotic#1869 on 1/25/2013 10:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
I am very happy farming mp0 for xp/loot and having almost "0% chance to die", I prefer to be more logical than emotional, playing hc in higher difficulties than your comfortable zone without getting more xp or loot doesn't make you a better player, just stupid. For my char, and for most hc chars, mp0 is optimal, unless you are farming keys.

Big risks requires big rewards, and that is not the case for higher mp levels atm, you will probably get pwned on the first lag and probably would make more gold/xp at mp0.

1st I'm not saying play at your maximum mp level possible, but cruise control in mp0 completely defeats the purpose of HC. You are essentially eliminating death from the equation in the game minus lag spike or something similar.

Essentially playing HC in this manner is similar to someone going golfing but allowing themselves to have mulligan shots because "a fly flew in my eye" or something of similar BS. You are eliminating the danger that should exist in HC.

Similar to you, I view your way of playing as illiogical as you view mine. Your argument is that playing at mp1/2/3 is not optimal, which I agree. I counter that playing a3mp0 when your character can essentially be played by anybody and not die is illogical since you are defeating the spirit of the mode.

to paraphrase you: "playing a3mp0 with geared out characters doesn't make you optimal, just a coward"

You're not stupid for pushing your limits for the challenge; but in terms of pure logic, he's technically correct in maximizing risk vs reward depending on gear. Also the risk of dying on mp0 is higher for folks who experience disconnects (even rarely), which should be factored into the equation. I don't consider myself to be a coward for sticking with mp0-1, I still feel I could die at any moment.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the links to profiles --> helped my day at work (Friday) go quickly without actually having to do work. A few close calls when the boss came by, but that's part of the fun ;)

Kind of sorry this thread turned into a "you should do highest possible mp or your coward" argument.

Who cares what MP another player runs? I (we?) play hardcore because of the risk involved and the fact that I like D3. If someone wants to mitigate the risk, so be it. My purpose was to have profiles to lurk, and lurk I did.

Cheers!
Reply Quote

Minus the health part.

He's talking about 1.03 probably... where the mobs had like 115% 240% 375% or something goofy like that when you grouped up. On top of all that, legendaries didn't drop left and right, shields didn't have 600 stats, amulets capped out at 65 cd 8 cc, rings, etc. Level 60 rares did not roll as level 63 items, and drops in inferno act 3 still yielded tons of 54's that were completely useless. Basically gear availability was very scarce, as a result, unlike the way it is now, only around 170 players could clear inferno, and farm act 3 comfortably. #170 was HCBigAug, the last of the inferno clears when it still meant something. The amount of mitigation available was pretty bad too, so even some trash mobs were hitting 7k on monks and over 9000 on casters even with the OP old 20/50 Impunity. I'd have to agree the 4mans in 1.03 act 3 felt closest to how mp7/8 feels now, maybe closer to 7 though...

Minus the enrage part.

Ah yeah I know what you mean. I remember there were some complaints, and they even took the multiplayer health amount down some. Haha, I remember when the monsters used to hit harder for each player that joined, I wish I was playing HC then, looking back.

Anyway, since my DH lagged out yesterday, my back up is only good to like MP2-3 comfortably I don't know. I don't even have act 3 on this one, I was just progressing through on MP1.

Never thought I'd be this salty on my first lag death.
Reply Quote
For the most part I do:

-MP0 (A3) in WW spec for exp farming simply because it is the most efficient with the least chance of dying on a disconnect, which seems to happen to me all too often (My ISP does not deserve the good money I pay them :/)

-MP5 (A1-3) in WW spec for keys

-MP5 (A4) in Rend spec for the plan (helping others get it)... I don't feel safe using WW on A4 lol.

-Through recent testing through the PTR I have learned that I am able to do key runs on MP10 in acts 1-3 in WW spec, but there are certain mobs that hit harder than I'm comfortable plus it takes a little bit longer than I would like, so I'll stick to MP5 runs for now :p Not to mention a d/c is instant death :/
Edited by yaminokame#1148 on 1/27/2013 11:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
I play hell mp0 cause inferno scares me.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 06:54 AMPosted by aMorras
Kind of sorry this thread turned into a "you should do highest possible mp or your coward" argument.

As I mentioned... wrong choice of words.... but I was reacting a bit to the "if you don't do mp0 you are stupid" remark. Again, my apologies for derailing the thread a tad.

You're not stupid for pushing your limits for the challenge; but in terms of pure logic, he's technically correct in maximizing risk vs reward depending on gear. Also the risk of dying on mp0 is higher for folks who experience disconnects (even rarely), which should be factored into the equation. I don't consider myself to be a coward for sticking with mp0-1, I still feel I could die at any moment.

If you feel like a tough elite can still provide a challenge in mp0 then I have no issue with running mp0. Again I just find it odd to play a mode where part of the incentive (only incentive?) is the adrenaline rush of possible death, and then not play at a difficulty level that can create that emotion every great once in awhile.

Edit: I should also add a disclaimer, if you have internet issues with some frequency then I also understand mp0 preference.
Edited by Lykotic#1869 on 1/27/2013 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
If all mobs in act 3 are level 63 on mp0, which I am pretty sure they are (can someone confirm or deny this?) then I don't see the point in going higher than mp0 on act 3 unless you are farming keys or looking for an added challenge in HC. If I am doing act 1 or 2, I play on Mp1 so that all mobs are level 63. Since they changed it so items that are not ilvl 63 can roll ilvl 63 affixes if they are dropped by a mob that is level 63 it seems to be very important that you are farming areas with level 63 mobs in it.

For act 3, I see it as risk vs. reward and if the drop table and affix roll limits are the same on mp0 as they are on mp1-10 then the only bonus you get on higher mp levels is a slight MF and XP buff. As well as the small chance for a bonus item. On anything less than Mp4 the MF, and XP bonus just seems so insignificant to me and not worth the risk. If I can do MP0 and farm with very little risk of death, especially due to a D/C, and pretty much the same reward as Mp1-3 then I will stay on mp0. If turning it to MP1 or higher makes it significantly more likely that if I D/C I will die or if I get caught in something bad I will die, then I don't see the tiny bonus to XP and MF being worth it.

I get it that some people like to constantly challenge themselves, and I understand that, to each their own. But for me, I just don't see it being worth the added risk for a tiny bit of MF and XP. But I play pretty conservatively. I don't dive into situations where I am less than 99% sure I will live.
Edited by Vekz#1728 on 1/27/2013 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ Lykotic Thanks for clarification -- no need for apologies!

I wrote my last post before I had enough coffee in my system - maybe I should look at this another way: this thread is facilitating conversation about what it means to be HC.

Like I said, HC is exciting because of danger. But with today's market, you can pretty much ensure that the danger is infinitesimal and grind act 3 forever without risking much.

At the same time, I think it's pretty clear many HC players are taking their characters "out of the box" and actually putting them to use.

In fact, this thread encouraged me to do the same, and I've run mp1 a few times (not just on PTR).

Anyways - on second thought, kind of like that this thread brought up this point.
Reply Quote
The problem is all in the rewards and efficiency.

If you don't already posses many billions in wealth, the fastest way to get there is mp0 a3.

The way blizz designed it is so that the game isn't about whether you are skilled enough to progress through content. They made the game easy enough so that all are more or less equal.

A guy who couldn't even beat belial in 1.03 or 1.04 can now easily farm act 3 at similar rates as players that could clear inferno before.

This is the design of mp0 a3, and Blizzard's intention, so take advantage of it. You know that DH who successfully cleared inferno 8 months before you could even do it on softcore before switching over? The one with all the good gear...

You can make him squirm by chain farming mp0 a3 easymode, and simply putting in more time than him. Next time that crit mempo comes along, he will try and bid 500m, and you will win it for 550m. Make him envy and resent you for farming so much so fast. "Time sunk" is the new "skill." And eventually you will surpass him, make him throw his hands in the air, and say fk this I'm done with this game :p

And then you will be that DH. The one with all that good gear. And blizzard will nerf the game even more so that someone will in time do the same thing to you.
Edited by Bnetplayer#11398 on 1/27/2013 1:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
MP5 for key runs - not much problem, can handle 2 groups of elites.
MP0 for xp/loot runs - faceroll
Reply Quote
MP5 for key runs - not much problem, can handle 2 groups of elites.
MP0 for xp/loot runs - faceroll

That sword looks familiar... mikeytea?
Edited by Bnetplayer#11398 on 1/28/2013 11:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
I run MP2 - I tried MP3 and the elites just take too long to die. I could probably do it with non MF gear but I don't see the point. I run MP0 for xp.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
MP 3-5. depends on how awake i am. monk. only 3 with my barb.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]