Diablo® III

Anyone remember the d2 depth?

I know im beating a dead horse here but does anyone else feel that d3 could be a fantastic game if they just added some depth in itemization. Possibly make the white items that drop worth something? Or is this something they are saving for the expansion, ie runewords socketed items? D2 just felt like it had way more itemization. Blizzard i think you could make a few tweeks and viola the game would be awesome. It has such great potential.

Please stop working on asthetics (stupid dyes) and start working on game depth. In d2 you had to use the arreat summit to find the crafting/rune patterns. Blizzard promised an "arreat summit" like website for us to go to but, in this game you dont need it.

The game seems to be all layed out in front of you. The game rating is for 18yo correct? Please add some depth, i dont need to be coddled like a child and shown what choices to make. This game just needs more itemization and less polish.
Reply Quote

Please stop working on asthetics (stupid dyes)

This is a feature players have requested repeatedly. Who are you to decide which community requests should be ignored?
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 11:11 AMPosted by Pirt
i dont need to be coddled like a child and shown what choices to make

The game is made for children/teens. Think of the release date of the game.. just before summer break.

Why release an unfinished game before summer break? To capitalize on pre-summer sales of course. Easier to convince a parent to buy you the game when you don't have school. How easy would it be for a kid to convince their parents to buy them D3 when they are back in school in 2 months? Not likely
Edited by Deadlysynz#1583 on 1/25/2013 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
This game D3 some how has a carebear storyline rather that d2 which was dark and gothic.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Xtasis
This game D3 some how has a carebear storyline rather that d2 which was dark and gothic.

I hear that manipulating your abandoned daughter into playing host for the ultimate evil, thus resulting in her death, was for casuals while simultaneously being bright and cheery.
Edited by Frostspark#1417 on 1/25/2013 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 11:21 AMPosted by njkk
There was nothing wrong with the itemization.

Everything is wrong with the itemization.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
know im beating a dead horse here but does anyone else feel that d3 could be a fantastic game if they just added some depth in itemization.

I'd rather they added breadth.
Reply Quote
d3 could learn some things about itemization from PoE. I know PoE has its flaws but, the itemization they got spot on.
Edited by Pirt#1180 on 1/28/2013 6:11 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please stop working on asthetics (stupid dyes)

This is a feature players have requested repeatedly. Who are you to decide which community requests should be ignored?

I'm not saying they should not work on dyes, but i think they should prioritize the important things first ie core game properties like itemization. Im sure im speaking for the masses when i say i would rather have a complete playable game, rather than worry about asthetics.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 05:40 AMPosted by Pirt
d3 could learn some things about itemization from PoE. I know PoE had its flaws but, the itemization that got spot on.

Combine parts of POE and D3 and you would have one hell of an ARPG...to play for a loooong time.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 05:46 AMPosted by pcjunkie
d3 could learn some things about itemization from PoE. I know PoE had its flaws but, the itemization that got spot on.

Combine parts of POE and D3 and you would have one hell of an ARPG...to play for a loooong time.

indeed
Reply Quote
In d2 you had to use the arreat summit to find the crafting/rune patterns. Blizzard promised an "arreat summit" like website for us to go to but, in this game you dont need it.

bingo!

i spend days with studying such sites not only for runewords/crafts but also to understand the d2 mechanics. it was like a really big universe.

in d3 it's like this: plug in your gamepad and lean back... at least i could imagine a gamepad patch in future - it would not surprise me, really.
Edited by Optimyst#2388 on 1/28/2013 6:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 11:21 AMPosted by njkk
There was nothing wrong with the itemization. the problem was they doubled legendary drop rate.

Nothing wrong with the legendary drop rate. The problem is that legendaries have too many random affixes.

Making things exceptionally rare / lottery only benefits one group - botters!
Reply Quote
I know im beating a dead horse here

Yes, you are. Unfortunately the depth you are talking about existed in the very itemization that everyone hated.

Instead of learning how it worked, people just stacked pure DPS glass cannon everyday for eternity. Blizzard figured "Ok, maybe we didn't baby everyone through the game enough", so the game got warped and nerfed and skewed in favor of glass cannon DPS.

Diablo 1 and 2 were games that depended on your ability to your ability to survive first (zomg resists and vitality or die), trade second (vendors/players), deal just enough damage to kill things third (and get past immunities), and then after you've fully mastered all three...then efficiency / PvP / reroll.

Diablo 3 followed those trends EXACTLY. It's just the gaming community no longer have any imagination, problem solving ability or learning ability altogether. That's how Blizzard learned AFTER the game was released that the NEW flow should be...Efficiency first, Trade second, then PvP/Reroll.

TLDR - Diablo 3 didn't lose depth. The gaming community lost insight.
Edited by Zinqf#1619 on 1/28/2013 6:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yes. Yes I do.

And to the poster above me, here's the difference: I'm almost to 800,000 kills. In D2, at this point I would have been able to gear 5 ACCOUNTS of gg characters. In D3 all this got me is a second-rate DH and a gold net worth that would be termed "middle class" at best.

Not that you're wrong on the strategic formula, but ... it's supposed to be made FUN along the way. At least a facade of complexity to keep the player entertained as though they're really making important decisions. Not just "hmm what to do today ... alkaizer or vault?"
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 06:39 AMPosted by Zinqf
I know im beating a dead horse here

Yes, you are. Unfortunately the depth you are talking about existed in the very itemization that everyone hated.

Instead of learning how it worked, people just stacked pure DPS glass cannon everyday for eternity. Blizzard figured "Ok, maybe we didn't baby everyone through the game enough", so the game got warped and nerfed and skewed in favor of glass cannon DPS.

Diablo 1 and 2 were games that depended on your ability to your ability to survive first (zomg resists and vitality or die), trade second (vendors/players), deal just enough damage to kill things third (and get past immunities), and then after you've fully mastered all three...then efficiency / PvP / reroll.

Diablo 3 followed those trends EXACTLY. It's just the gaming community no longer have any imagination, problem solving ability or learning ability altogether. That's how Blizzard learned AFTER the game was released that the NEW flow should be...Efficiency first, Trade second, then PvP/Reroll.

TLDR - Diablo 3 didn't lose depth. The gaming community lost insight.

This is nonsense. You seriously think D3 has the same level of complexity as D2's combat system and itemization? Umm hit recovery, block speed, block chance, all these were different for each class. Weapons like phase blades and cryptic swords, both 1h swords that dished out dps in a noticably different way. Weapon ranges like a range 5 giant threshers.

There could be a 20 page list of ways this game fell short of what a D2 successor should be. We wanted a better game, not an easy glass cannon game. A game that kept or improved what was great about D2. Many things were just flat out dropped and simplified to non-existence in D3. A simple example is elemental damage.

Take a look at some flawed monster designs. Act 2 snakes are a good example. A hard hitting melee with stealth. Ok not much new there. But they made the stealth invulnerable. What?! Meaning even if you know exactly where they are you can do nothing to them. Can't damage them, can't reveal them thru damage or another skill. This is from the gaming company that made WoW with rogues right? So you just have to wait for them to attack. That's pretty bad design. These bad monster designs aren't as noticable now since the game is much easier and our gear is better, but that doesn't mean it fixed the issue.
Reply Quote
Blame the obscene rng layering items have in this game. If you take a look at D2 unique items, they had a good amount of rng, without being overwhelming. Value ranges for them weren't ridiculously large, and even a "bad" roll would still hold some value, if not economic, at least with proper itemization. In D3 this problem is best represented by weapons, with their incredibly large damage ranges, which is made rather obvious by the excessive relevance it has on determining your dps.

D2 items didn't have half of the item left to rng when assigning affixes either, a process which undoubtedly leads to way too much garbage, due to the lack of pertinent filters when picking affixes for specific types of items. Manticores with WD skill bonus are a good example for this monumental design oversight. I even think I saw somewhere in the forums an image of a 2handed sword with DH passive bonuses, even though DHs can't even use 2h swords. The lack of said filters comes across as lazy design, if any at all. Another good example are class specific items rolling incoherent mainstats, such as quivers with strength, mighty weapons with intellect, or sources with dexterity. Its a mess.

The third problem is the lack of customization options. Gems in D3 are usually reduced to mainstat+vit for armor (a ruby in your aht, if you want more xp). For your weapon, it's emeralds or gtfo (serving as a huge cost increment for monks and demon hunters, which have to acquire their stat gems at a considerably higher cost, btw). The other three are pretty much negligible. In D2 you had multimple options for different items. Runes were one of the biggest omissions they should have never made for D3. The gemming system present in PoE would be a great path to follow.
Reply Quote
I know im beating a dead horse here but does anyone else feel that d3 could be a fantastic game if they just added some depth in itemization. Possibly make the white items that drop worth something? Or is this something they are saving for the expansion, ie runewords socketed items? D2 just felt like it had way more itemization. Blizzard i think you could make a few tweeks and viola the game would be awesome. It has such great potential.

Please stop working on asthetics (stupid dyes) and start working on game depth. In d2 you had to use the arreat summit to find the crafting/rune patterns. Blizzard promised an "arreat summit" like website for us to go to but, in this game you dont need it.

The game seems to be all layed out in front of you. The game rating is for 18yo correct? Please add some depth, i dont need to be coddled like a child and shown what choices to make. This game just needs more itemization and less polish.

Compare the game now with the game at release.
Compare the game now with D2 at release.
Compare the game now with D2 after a decade of updates

Do you realise what you're doing exactly?

Also, talking about depths in a game that had the player do the exact same thing over and over...

Hell, people are talking about how they're bored to death of doing alkaizer run... In d2, they weren't even doing so many 'instances', it was just hell cow 24/7 or hell ball 24/7. Nothing else.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]