Diablo® III

The state of Blizzard Entertainment, honest opinions

85 Undead Warrior
I whole heatedly agree Zaxxon23. I still have my WOW account. But sadly when they put pandas in the game.......well you get the rest of the story.

Now just imagined if they put Pandas in Diablo III in a future patch. LOL
Reply Quote
Rock and Roll racing!! YAY! 20 years later in to the future.. blizzard is finally making bad games.. sucks. i use to say blizzard never makes bad games.
Edited by PolishPanzer#1350 on 1/21/2013 6:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Since they are apparently not going to lock or delete this, I guess I'll offer my opinion.

I often read finance related sites, such as The Motley Fool and Seeking Alpha. It seems investors these days want to see video game companies that have some form of continued revenue stream attached to their games, like World of Warcraft. Partly because of the long development cycles and high production costs associate with big budget games, selling a lot of copies is often no longer good enough. Yes, selling huge numbers like the CoD franchise is great, but a game that provides a continuous, sustained revenue stream is even better. Hence, we get the wonderful RMAH attached to Diablo 3. As to how much revenue that feature is generating I'm not sure, in the last ATVI quarterly report Diablo 3 hardly even gets mentioned.

There is also a big push, (starting several years ago), to get into mobile/social/casual gaming. The success Zynga was having a couple years ago lead to many investors asking ATVI why they weren't getting into the mobile/social scene. Well, Zynga in now in huge trouble; they've lost 25+% of their players, their stock has sunk from $15 a share to $2 and change, they've shut down like half a dozen games, laid people off, and they are now apparently getting out of gaming to pursue developing some weird gambling app. thing. Apparently, when you make extremely shallow games, the players don't stick around for very long for you to monetize.

I feel like Blizzard has tried to "casualize" their games a bit too much lately, (D3, etc.), probably to try to appeal to a wider audience, but I don't really think that works well with any genre of RPG, (when I say "casualize", I'm not talking about difficulty, I'm talking about the depth of the game systems). When you basically turn a rpg into a glorified action game, people will play it like an action game; 30-90 days of play and on to the next. If you're trying to keep them around to monetize them, that's not really going to work. So you can have potentially large initial appeal with watered down games, but those games won't have much longevity.

Unfortunately, from what I've heard about Titan, it appears it may be a casual game. I'm definitely not some super gamer that likes ultra hardcore gaming experiences. If there's just no depth to the game at all though, I'm not interested, and I doubt it will retain people for very long. If you look at WoW, from vanilla through WotLK, the pve rotations got more complex, sockets were added to gear, glyphs were added to talent trees, the game got more complex in a good way. During this same time WoW's player base grew something like 4000%, so the idea that eliminating game features that add depth somehow equals more players seems to hold no merit at all. Just the opposite happened, they added slight complexity and the game blew up.

As for current day WoW, I really have no interest in the game. The Pandaria setting just really doesn't appeal to me, (maybe it does to the booming middle class in China), the idea of doing dailies ad nauseum doesn't sound like fun, the dungeon finder is convenient yet too often an awful experience socially.
Edited by Cryogen#1749 on 1/21/2013 7:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Zerj23
Since they are apparently not going to lock or delete this, I guess I'll offer my opinion.

I bet you my blarg gear that this post is getting either deleted or locked by tomorrow

All this is is everyone giving their honest opinion to each other and to blizzard, no one here is trolling or just saying hey you suck blizz get better. If they lock or delete it that will only be their way of saying we dont want your opinions or feedback.
Reply Quote
They sold out. Diablo 3 was not approached as a piece of art, as an artistic vision to be realized, or even as a fun game to be made. Diablo 3 is basically the RMAH, everything else is bells and whistles attached to it. There is no game there, its just a barely disguised money making scheme. This game was not made by artists, entertainers, or even programers, it was made by lawyers and salesman.
Reply Quote
Toomany people over react the company is fine they are a busness and they make quality games it may not be the d2 clone that everyone wanted but it adds much more and in time even more.
Reply Quote
View profile
after the TBC expansion is when i felt that blizzard as a company has started to decline.

because WotLK was the best expansion WoW has ever had,
that somehow made them a bad company?
i don't get it.
1 bad release and you people are raging, and it wasn't even
bad financially, just critically; kind of like every facebook game.

i can even recall Blizzard mentioning that Activision has almost
nothing to do with them. this Kotick likes to be the bad guy,
and do the "Rob Pardo". he distracts your attention and makes
you think Blizzard isn't capable of making their own mistakes.

and if for 1 second you tell me you're not excited as hell to at least
see what 'TITAN' is, you've revealed yourself to be a lying scumbag.
Reply Quote
The people who adamantly cry these points do so out of concern. Growing up I myself have seen countless series perish because they prioritized profit over quality and innovation (Mind simplification by removal of core systems in no way constitutes innovating.)

The community WANTS this game to be another staple PC titan, but... It a pain in the !@# to be optimistic when things that NEED to change keep being swept under the rug or ignored wholesale

The carrot on the stick routine will end eventually, even the most dedicated lap dog will get tired of endlessly running and either bite the man with the carrot or find a new owner. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel or are going to be kept in the dark trying to find some damned clue by ourselves?

Everyone wants to know were this game is headed, PvP and petty class issues be damned, there are drastically more pressing issues at hand.

*Whats the deal with removing magic find? Is that still the plan?
*If not do you intend to make magic find useful by making them effect the affix roll instead of item class?
*Will you guys ever implement a new game mode system instead of just the stagnant story mode?
*Do you guys ever intend on actually making more then a tiny handful of 58-63 legendaries or are we stuck with the current lot until an expansion.
*It was said that patch 1.1 would be the first class balance patch and not just a slew of tiny tweaks, what on earth does this entail?!

There are easily 1000 questions to be asked about this game but the real one is this

Do you intend to keep with this cliffhanger silence which I bet my "soul" that 90% of the active community dread more so then getting slapped on christmas morning with a fiery log from the chimney, or can we get some long term insights for the direction of the game.

We don't give a damn if its makes the final cut, passes QA or end up not meeting the teams vision, we wan't hope be it false or otherwise!

Edit: Cryo your words are akin to a profit, what you wrote just now needs to be passed around to EVERY SINGLE employee at blizzard because you just described their fate if this path continues. If no other advice is EVER heeded again from these forums this would be the one they NEED to analyze the most and absorb 120% of its implications.
Edited by Zero#12911 on 1/21/2013 11:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'll alert the media.
Reply Quote
I see complacency when I look at Blizzard.

There is a lot of competition out there and their brand of gaming producsts is at risk!

They used WoW success in terms of technology and features and just duplicated them in Star Craft and Diablo. Did not and can not work! Gaming genres (RTS and ARPG) is way to diffenent.

In addiiton you cannot take 8 to 10 years to develop a game anymore! Game development and release cycles are shorter than it used to be.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 11:40 PMPosted by Kenza
In addiiton you cannot take 8 to 10 years to develop a game anymore! Game development and release cycles are shorter than it used to be.

Half Life 3?

More often then not forcing things into the lime light tends to dull the edges, when you rush art the results speak for themselves... *cough*
Edited by Zero#12911 on 1/22/2013 1:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
01/21/2013 09:10 AMPosted by Technoviking

Dude, you seem to know the truth but are in denial. Are you employed in a salary position at any job in a first world country? If so, you have to at least have a concept of Lean business practices and the near-impossible balance of deadlines, corporate mechanisms, and user experience. I don't advocate golden parachutes or nine digit CEO salaries, but you have to make difficult decisions to compete, and you don't have to tell the public a damned thing about your internal functions.

Give the name of a company still in existence that serves a million plus people on a daily basis that hasn't automated a huge portion of their workflow in order to reduce cost and lead time. A person is not stuffing each Hot Pocket individually by hand. Hell, even regional public utilities have automated systems for billing and customer service. Sorry man, but you are not special. You gotta wait in line like me.

If you want handcrafted, customer-driven experiences, you are simply looking in the wrong place. I don't mean to be rude, but this is capitalism.

I understand and appreciate everything you said. To compare video games to every other capitalistic company in existance is wrong though. When has it become common practice to simply accept these poor customer relations and mass marketed poorly developed release cycles? Stand up for yourselves. question authority. This generation is too passive man. Maybe it's just me, maybe I am a dying breed. I find it offensive to let companies take advantage and prey off their consumers like this. You seem to accept it as everyday way of the world common practice. Where is this world going if this aggressive, slimy, mass profit-centric mentality dominates the marketplace? this cannot be sustainable. Can others not see this???

This is what Ive been saying for months. Gaming becoming mainstream has actually meant becoming 99% Profit driven. All this BS about Deadlines and internal politics, Salaries and shareholders all existed 10 years ago, its just that companies like Blizz/Act and EA werent pulling down a cold Bil+ 10 yrs back. They relied on their Quality to retain us, the Playerbase as steady consumers. All those years turned into brand loyalty which they are now cashing in on Big.

Im !@#$in sick of it
Reply Quote
Blizzard is still one of the best developers out there. Have they made mistakes with DiabloIII? We all know the answer to that. But they do care enough to keep working at it. I don't know any other company that continues to support their games for as long as Blizzard does.

Valve would be the closest, but still fall short of Blizzard in that respect. I really think revamping the skill system in D3 would fix the game for the most part.

Allow us a skill tree that lets us invest points into skills to make them more powerful (ala. D2)
and redo the Skill Runes, then allow 2 runes on each skill... so we can customize our builds more.

Well honestly, caring enough to keep working on them, it's a necessity. If their game dieing there are not any more profit, being played essentially online. Servers have costs.
Valve is a good serious company able to be original and innovative on every try.
Agree with the skill tree in D3. Any character should be able to maximize some skills, like in D2.
Reply Quote
01/20/2013 11:15 AMPosted by Montford
I agree Blizzard is not the same company it was when WoW was released, actually after the TBC expansion is when i felt that blizzard as a company has started to decline.

yep
Reply Quote
The people who adamantly cry these points do so out of concern. Growing up I myself have seen countless series perish because they prioritized profit over quality and innovation (Mind simplification by removal of core systems in no way constitutes innovating.)
The community WANTS this game to be another staple PC titan, but... It a pain in the !@# to be optimistic when things that NEED to change keep being swept under the rug or ignored wholesale

The carrot on the stick routine will end eventually, even the most dedicated lap dog will get tired of endlessly running and either bite the man with the carrot or find a new owner. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel or are going to be kept in the dark trying to find some damned clue by ourselves?

Everyone wants to know were this game is headed, PvP and petty class issues be damned, there are drastically more pressing issues at hand.

*Whats the deal with removing magic find? Is that still the plan?
*If not do you intend to make magic find useful by making them effect the affix roll instead of item class?
*Will you guys ever implement a new game mode system instead of just the stagnant story mode?
*Do you guys ever intend on actually making more then a tiny handful of 58-63 legendaries or are we stuck with the current lot until an expansion.
*It was said that patch 1.1 would be the first class balance patch and not just a slew of tiny tweaks, what on earth does this entail?!

There are easily 1000 questions to be asked about this game but the real one is this

Do you intend to keep with this cliffhanger silence which I bet my "soul" that 90% of the active community dread more so then getting slapped on christmas morning with a fiery log from the chimney, or can we get some long term insights for the direction of the game.

We don't give a damn if its makes the final cut, passes QA or end up not meeting the teams vision, we wan't hope be it false or otherwise!

Edit: Cryo your words are akin to a profit, what you wrote just now needs to be passed around to EVERY SINGLE employee at blizzard because you just described their fate if this path continues. If no other advice is EVER heeded again from these forums this would be the one they NEED to analyze the most and absorb 120% of its implications.

I couldn't have elaborated better! well done
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Honestly, Blizzard games are still good to me. But I don't get caught up in the anti-corporate hate train that seems to be rampant amongst the gaming community. I think a lot of gamers are just sad little unhappy people in general and need something to pin their angst on.
Edited by Kezmaefele#1109 on 1/22/2013 6:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Kezmaefele
Honestly, Blizzard games are still good to me. But I don't get caught up in the anti-corporate hate train that seems to be rampant amongst the gaming community. I think a lot of gamers are just sad little unhappy people in general and need something to pin their angst on.

great meaningless 0 contribution reply
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/22/2013 06:50 AMPosted by Technoviking

great meaningless 0 contribution reply

You asked what we honestly thought about Blizzard. I told you. What is the problem?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]