Diablo® III

Nerfing Crit possibly fixes everything wrong with D3.

The poster just seems to not like being outdone, I never used crit damage/chance on my monk for the first two or three months of play and I found it ok for most builds, I only changed to crit gear once I had farmed enough money but still I didn't go crit crazy and I feel like I have a good rounded monk now.

If you moan about crit your realy only moaning about yourself, you see those demon/wiz/barbs doing crazy damage and think to yourself "thats not fair"

Stop with all the e-!@#$% envy and go farm some loot you crybabys.
The poster just seems to not like being outdone, I never used crit damage/chance on my monk for the first two or three months of play and I found it ok for most builds, I only changed to crit gear once I had farmed enough money but still I didn't go crit crazy and I feel like I have a good rounded monk now.

If you moan about crit your realy only moaning about yourself, you see those demon/wiz/barbs doing crazy damage and think to yourself "thats not fair"

its not that he doesn't like to be outdone. he's a noob who wants a low ceiling so that his modest gametime is equal to someone who spends 100x time more in the game.

ie; noob thread by noobs with noob logic.

its not that he doesn't like to be outdone. he's a noob who wants a low ceiling so that his modest gametime is equal to someone who spends 100x time more in the game.

ie; noob thread by noobs with noob logic.

I'm a dun crawler, and I'm already into the 1000's of hours, I see what your saying.
Wow, and this is still going.
01/22/2013 11:18 PMPosted by Japhasca
Wow, and this is still going.
needs to hit page 26 to end.
01/20/2013 04:29 PMPosted by steakncheese
Neither critical hit nor damage is a problem. The problem lies in the lack of diversity. You pick either STR, DEX or INT. After that nothing matters offensively besides CC/CD/IAS/% Damage/Min-Max Damage, nothing defensively besides Vit/AR/Armor.

Holy crap, we need NINE STATS!!!! Man if only there was some DIVERSITY in picking out a piece of gear!

Oh, wait...

I'm a dun crawler, and I'm already into the 1000's of hours, I see what your saying.

whats a dun crawler?
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/22/2013 11:22 PM PST
Neither critical hit nor damage is a problem. The problem lies in the lack of diversity. You pick either STR, DEX or INT. After that nothing matters offensively besides CC/CD/IAS/% Damage/Min-Max Damage, nothing defensively besides Vit/AR/Armor.

Holy crap, we need NINE STATS!!!! Man if only there was some DIVERSITY in picking out a piece of gear!

Oh, wait...

its not diversity. ias/cc/cd/high pri is valued because.
eg: on a ring, its like 4 out of 25 possible affixes. (ie: rare and highest dps contributors)
if they increase the qty of dmg dealing affixes,
then you see a dilution of crap stats in comparison,
which means the qty of dps contributing gear increases,
means a supply increase,
means a price decrease.

or they can skip all that and x 100 the number of jewelry drops
or they can weight it such that all gear has at least 1 trifecta stat that is not random. and the other 2 can come from random rolls.

but all this shortens game longevity in the sense that people will reach dps ceiling with far less effort .

i have one earlier post on http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710221228?page=22#435 for a few more dmg dealing affixes that would be interesting for synergy/complexity.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/22/2013 11:28 PM PST
Doesn't it feel wrong that the best stat for nearly all builds are identical? Lets face it, consider the best stats in each slot:
ammie: crit chance, IAS and crit damage plus primary stat
ring: crit chance, IAS and crit damage plus primary stat
gloves: crit chance, IAS and crit damage plus primary stat
Braces: crit chance, IAS and primary stat
helm: crit chance, IAS, crit damage and primary stat

I don't think a nerf is the best way to go, as nerfing it would just replace it with some other stat. But the current gearing choices do seem rather dull. Perhaps buff some other damage stats, and bring back elemental damage effects.
quit wasting reading time, look at diablo 2 paladin blessed hammer, easy setup and its 20k+++++ damage....... does it do 20k damage pvp? no..... they will set the amounts of damage depending on how crazy you stack. = stacking is good
I know Blizzard is hesitant to nerf crit due to the massive outrage the community would surely experience... but for all the same reasons blizz nerfed Attack Speed, crit has got to go. Right now crit is the single determining factor on whether a piece of equipment is good, or if it's just medicore. You could have all perfect double stat primary roll with awesome vit/resistance, etc.. but no crit and it's laughably bad.

The itemization is extremely one-dimensional in this way. To make matters worse, actual balance is effected. Crit trivializes the content, which is against the design philosophy of things supposedly being "very hard" in Inferno mode. Crit allows for cheese builds like sprint/ww and critical mass/wicked wind... which no matter how much Blizz claims they like these builds, you cannot look me in the eye and say it was the developer's intent for those skills to synergize in that way.

Right now Crit Chance needs to be given a hard cap of... 30% (30% may be way too high, but I say to nerf it to that level, and then see how it holds up, and if necessary, drop it down to 25% max)

Crit damage needs to have the values cut in half on all equipment in all slots, and emeralds need to do soemthing else other than crit damage in weapons.. take that away, nerf it out entirely.

See if the game doesn't get better. A lot of people will be angry for a while, but just like Attack Speed nerf, eventually they'll forget about it and move on.. meanwhile balance returns to the item market, so that more than just 0.001% of items are worth anything.. suddenly all manner of items are worth something to someone.

The Economy gets fixed, Itemization gets fixed, OP builds get fixed, and the game becomes something resembling what the team intended it to be, again.

/edit - adding this latest reply to the Original Post so more people notice it.
Fine, community... you don't want crit nerfed. That's apparent. So, go onto the Auction House, and search for one of the expensive one-billion gold items. Now run a search on that exact item, property for property, value for value.. but just remove crit from it. That SAME exact awesome item is now worth roughly 100k.. if it even sells at all.

So Crit has 1000x+++ the value of any other stat.. and you DON'T think it's a problem? Ok, then.. you wouldn't be opposed to Blizzard making Crit roll on every single item that drops in Inferno then? Then you don't have to live with a nerf, you keep your insane DPS and Synergy build, but the value still lowers on crit and equalizes the market. The ONLY reason you'd be opposed to that change is out of greed.

I like what you wrote. And i can agree. But problem is with community as always :). I Dont like "crit damage" but if you want farm you need it.. and then comes few builds which suits for it, cause else are just worse. Crit Damage must go half!

Or At least in PvP it should be reduced.
Edited by bankeris#2943 on 1/23/2013 12:59 AM PST
Skill/gear synergy is the one area D3 surpasses D2. We need more of it.

you have that backwards. d2 skill synergy came in the d2 expansion and wtfpwns d3. prior to them nerfing skills stacking passives it was hilariously fun.

PS...Diablo 2 didn't have CC/CHD like Diablo 3 and look how successful it was.

uhm yea it did. cc/chd are multipliers (coefficients). the ones in d2 were even more insane.

tack on poison or other elemental charms and d3 is a joke by comparison.
Edited by teichopsia#1992 on 1/23/2013 1:36 AM PST
Doesn't it feel wrong that the best stat for nearly all builds are identical? Lets face it, consider the best stats in each slot:

I don't think a nerf is the best way to go, as nerfing it would just replace it with some other stat. But the current gearing choices do seem rather dull. Perhaps buff some other damage stats, and bring back elemental damage effects.

d2 was the same way. if you were a skill build, you stacked +skills and the relevant skill charms. if you were physical dmg build you stacked cruel/dmg/psn/elemental charms. both builds would stack ias via jewels/select uniques, and fhr if they were into pvp (yet another affix that doesn't exist in d3).

what people fail to realize is d3 has no minimum stat requirements on gear, so that's one less itemization vector. anybody can wear anything almost. likewise, armor is a perk but not actively sought.

d3 doesn't have hit/defense mechanics either, so there goes yet more itemization. the only thing left in the affix pool is ias/cc/cd (good) and junk (thorns) and soso (life/sec, resist).

in the process of making the game simpler they removed all the permutations. smaller affix pool means less items to choose from and everybody seeks the same set of gear. how many people wear inna's pants and aren't monks. and so on.

d2 was the same way. if you were a skill build, you stacked +skills and the relevant skill charms. if you were physical dmg build you stacked cruel/dmg/psn/elemental charms. both builds would stack ias via jewels/select uniques, and fhr if they were into pvp (yet another affix that doesn't exist in d3).

what people fail to realize is d3 has no minimum stat requirements on gear, so that's one less itemization vector. anybody can wear anything almost. likewise, armor is a perk but not actively sought.

d3 doesn't have hit/defense mechanics either, so there goes yet more itemization. the only thing left in the affix pool is ias/cc/cd (good) and junk (thorns) and soso (life/sec, resist).

in the process of making the game simpler they removed all the permutations. smaller affix pool means less items to choose from and everybody seeks the same set of gear. how many people wear inna's pants and aren't monks. and so on.

So peoples argument is d3 is not d2 or is not some other game, so make it like that to make me happy......

Diablo 3 is diablo 3, it has limited stats/affixes compared to alot of games. Get used to it!!!!!!!

whats a dun crawler?

Dungeon crawler = likes to crawl through dungeons =D
Edited by KojiBear#6869 on 1/23/2013 1:56 AM PST

its dull becauses its simple., it distilled all the other +skill down to a common factor, so that what 1 person finds, another person can use. (ie: it improves the coincidence of 2 wants),

otherwise searching the ah for what you want could possibly harder, imagine instead of IAS, we had +speed to skill. now you have the complexity of a hundred skills to wade through. your available gear pool is reduced in a sense. (just like trying to find a 7%ias,6% cc 7% energy twister skull grasp, it becomes more uncommon.) so the d2 complexity was reduced probably for this reason in part.

still, its over simplified and people want more complexity now, so they ought to just simply bring in concepts like imbues/enchantments and charms
C'mon guys, the OP is correct. Can't you see that nerfing crit will rid us of bots and finally bring ranked PvP with TDM modes to D3? If it weren't for crit, we'd still have 80% of the playerbase we had on release day. I say down with crit.
Capping CD / CC wouldn't do anything. They have to rework the whole itemization and how it works to archieve anything. But sadly, the RMAH is in the way.

They however could introduce new affixes on Rares probably. How about: Increases Cold / Fire / Physical-Dmg of Skills by 20%. Or Increase Allres by 5%. Thorns could be reworked to reflect all DMG percentwise to the attackers. Something like Crushing blow on uniques would also be nice. Amulets and Rings should be able to roll Skill Bonuses. Rework the Min-Max-Dmg roll that it can roll much higher (like 100-200 on rings) but cant roll together with crit chance or crit dmg. Make uniques that increase the usefullness of one skill by an insane amount like the Homunkulus does with Sacrifice. Make Rings possible to roll two attack speed affixes, but only one of them can roll together with crit, so that the player can decide what is more valuable. Make a unique ring that gives a mob a chance to drop a bonus item like monster power does. You want to farm efficiently? Better get that damn ring!
Everyone with a brain could think of tons of things that would bring a lot of diversity into the itemization.

What I'm trying to say is: Don't limit the players power but add new ways to obtain it.
Edited by Vaxall#2752 on 1/23/2013 2:29 AM PST
01/23/2013 02:21 AMPosted by Dazarath
C'mon guys, the OP is correct. Can't you see that nerfing crit will rid us of bots and finally bring ranked PvP with TDM modes to D3? If it weren't for crit, we'd still have 80% of the playerbase we had on release day. I say down with crit.

Will rid us of bot's...... nothing will ever rid an online game of bots

I want what this guy has been smoking.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]