Diablo® III

Nerfing Crit possibly fixes everything wrong with D3.

So, nerfing crit will fix bad itemization? It will fix a ho-hum storyline? It would fix me having to press escape to bypass conversations? etc etc etc

OP, your topic line is so broad and generalized it makes no sense at all.

Secondly, you clearly don't understand the reason for crit.
Crit doesn't make the game suddenly easy or anything--it provides a dps boost in an alternate way from others stats; an iffy one, too, since even at higher chances there's no guarantee for constant crits.

Maybe you're confused because the first big Crit Damage/Crit Chance boost you got hugely affected your dps. Well, I can tell you, after that, the gains slow down.

If you nerf crit then you either have to nerf the higher MPs or boost another stat to compensate. Nerfing MPs to accommodate a lower DPS system makes no sense, and honestly people who complain that one stat is overvalued are usually just mad because they can't afford it. That's fine if it's the case, just be honest.

Here's what I want you to do: Take your two best characters, your barb and your wiz, and continue to gear them until you can consistently beat MP10 Inferno, BUT stay true to your concept of Crit. Then, tell me how much "better" it was.
View profile
Just allow crit chance to roll high on skills that do not proc well. Like +15% crit chance for rend (barbarian only). Giving a 30% hard cap might be a good idea, in addition to skill-specific crit chance.
01/20/2013 04:16 PMPosted by TheFunGun21
Just allow crit chance to roll high on skills that do not proc well. Like +15% crit chance for rend (barbarian only). Giving a 30% hard cap might be a good idea, in addition to skill-specific crit chance.

Great idea on how to kill build diversity further. Now, instead of just looking for hard-to-find stat combos with values I actually want, I ALSO have to find ones with crits just for the skills I like!

Or, force the gear I can get to define my build...yeah, that's a great idea.
Edited by Japhasca#1443 on 1/20/2013 4:18 PM PST
View profile

Great idea on how to kill build diversity further. Now, instead of just looking for hard-to-find stat combos with values I actually want, I ALSO have to find ones with crits just for the skills I like!

Or, force the gear I can get to define my build...yeah, that's a great idea.

Pair stats together, if an item rolls high dexterity, then the item must roll only DH or monk skill stats. In addition, they should also increase the chance of rolling skill-specific crit (like a 100% chance to roll on bracers). That won't kill itemization, because crit chance on items is absolutely necessary anyways. It's just converting basic crit chance into skill-specific crit chance.
Edited by TheFunGun21#1392 on 1/20/2013 4:29 PM PST
People like OP seems lack the brain power to think, most people stack crit, but lots of build take IAS over crit, yet every single build of every single class stack primary stats, yet people don't see that as a problem, and there is AR and Vit, which is need by everyone.
Edited by Rognar#1625 on 1/20/2013 4:30 PM PST
More class skills and resource affixes please. No affix should be worthless (i.e. thorns and ignore).

More options less pigeonholing.
Right now Crit Chance needs to be given a hard cap of... 30% (30% may be way too high, but I say to nerf it to that level, and then see how it holds up, and if necessary, drop it down to 25% max)

Crit damage needs to have the values cut in half on all equipment in all slots, and emeralds need to do soemthing else other than crit damage in weapons.. take that away, nerf it out entirely.

Actually if you hard cap the crit and you want to create diversity and a good economy then you need to INCREASE the avg gain on CC and CD so that they aren't the 'make-or-break' mod on items which makes the difference between a 1b item and a 100k item.

Give it a cap, increase the ease of getting it and then introduce another damage modifier.
(Thinking bout it a little more, I don't even think you'd need to increase, but still)

But you can't just cap/nerf crit then call it a day. You have to give more options.
Edited by VinnyI82#1302 on 1/20/2013 4:35 PM PST
View profile
Game was sissified and those builds that shine "on hit" mechanic came to front. They wernt OP in 1.0.2 they got wrecked mostly unless u had billions.

No one ran CM or WW builds in 1.0.2.. they mostly hadn't been discovered yet, and nothing close to the level of gear required for running them had been amassed yet in 1.0.2 except by a few famous web-streamers and botters.

I did and discovered SNS the build u see used today mostly in 1.0.3. And can tell u CM's got wrecked by shielded minions cos u only procd one, the elite himself. GL even with good proc rates build was bad. Most CM had sheild in 1.0.2 and ran prismatics and still died like flies cos again when procing one LOH dont work cooldowns dont work freeze dont work and build never got popular. It was HIGH dps archon or go home cos if sheilded minions didnt get you enrage would. CM does no damage using a shield and prismatics armor so they'd enrage b4 u killed em.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 1/20/2013 4:42 PM PST
01/20/2013 04:30 PMPosted by Rognar
People like OP seems lack the brain power to think, most people stack crit, but lots of build take IAS over crit,

Ya, no.

every single build of every single class stack primary stats, yet people don't see that as a problem,

It's not a fixable problem and not worth asking for changes to.

and there is AR and Vit, which is need by everyone.

The only problem with this is the balance between single and all resists.
I agree with what OP said but nerfing critical chance would only destroy diversity because there are tons of builds, skills, resource regeneration etc. builds in almost every class that depends its sole existence on critical chance. As OP also added, instead of nerfing critical change a straight critical hit damage nerf would be hugely better since this is the actual part where it causes the many annoying things and destroying build diversity.
Edited by stranger#2849 on 1/20/2013 4:39 PM PST
Crit allows for cheese builds like sprint/ww and critical mass/wicked wind... which no matter how much Blizz claims they like these builds, you cannot look me in the eye and say it was the developer's intent for those skills to synergize in that way.

The world is a sad place when people like you who want to your action to be "intended by others" is living in a free state( at least free enough for you to make this non sense thread here) while so many people who carve freedom are living in country like North Korea.
01/20/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Iskra
People like OP seems lack the brain power to think, most people stack crit, but lots of build take IAS over crit,

Ya, no.

every single build of every single class stack primary stats, yet people don't see that as a problem,

and there is AR and Vit, which is need by everyone.

Combined together means single out Crit is stupid as hell.
if you hard cap the crit and you want to create diversity and a good economy then you need to INCREASE the avg gain on CC and CD so that they aren't the 'make-or-break' mod on items which makes the difference between a 1b item and a 100k item.

Give it a cap, increase the ease of getting it and then introduce another damage modifier.
(Thinking bout it a little more, I don't even think you'd need to increase, but still)

You wouldn't, that's the point. The cap takes care of that problem because you can reach the cap with crit on fewer pieces of gear.

But you can't just cap/nerf crit then call it a day. You have to give more options.

Yep, but capping crit is the start.
Here's my idea.

1. Nerf crit damage by 50%, leave crit chance alone.
2. Double monster damage and half monster HP.
3. Remove the lifesteal nerf and let rings, ammys roll this stat.
4. Buff the other gems so they are viable other than emerald.
5. Buff all gems so they give more than +4 stats per tier.
01/20/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Rognar

Ya, no.

Combined together means single out Crit is stupid as hell.

Explain.

The world is a sad place when people like you who want to your action to be "intended by others" is living in a free state( at least free enough for you to make this non sense thread here) while so many people who carve freedom are living in country like North Korea.

Oh, nevermind, you're clearly crazy if you're trying to compare video game balance to fascism and probably cannot explain.
actually, you dont get whats wrong with d3, crit isnt the problem and i had to laugh about "fixes everything wrong with d3", thanks for that
Ya, I'll just delete this. Misread, oops.
Edited by Iskra#1389 on 1/20/2013 4:49 PM PST
I think you're correct, OP.

Blizzard really screwed up when they didn't foresee the insane stacking capabilities and attainable damage of cc/cd. It broke the game in many ways.

It's why 'monster power' monsters scale in hit points much more than doing more damage. They had to create hit point punching bags because there's no way for players to scale defensive ability in the same way as offensive. (cc/cd)

It's also why PvP is such a difficult thing for them to implement as players would like.

I don't think they can just 'fix' it now. It's too deep of an issue.

Hopefully they can come up with a solution of some sort.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]