Diablo® III

Finding MP5+ to be difficult

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Monk class and built my monk based on few threads and etc. I find it difficult to do anything over MP5.. not sure if it's AR or Armor or just the way I play. I don't think it's the LOH/LS as I have secodary mace with 400LOH/2.9%LS and still get crushed. Is this norm playing a monk?

Considering swapping few pieces out to see if it'll cure the "getting crushed" problem of mine. any recommendations will be appreciated.
Reply Quote
Looks good to me.
Reply Quote
Your monk its pretty decent. I reckon you should be able to do MP5 well.

What are you having trouble with though?

IMO you aren't making the most of combination strike, I would substitute that out for resolve, or Beacon of Ytar
Reply Quote
RD/molten mobs along with those freezing mobs. I guess I'm more used to WoTB with Barb so once i'm frozen or trapped... i'm dead.
Reply Quote
ahhhh. I see. Yea that's a pretty specific problem. 1.0.7 will lower molten and change RD packs, so hang tight on upgrading.

As a monk, you cant just stand there unless you have a lot of resists and hp regen of some kind (if you did this, then DPS will be lower)

If you feel that you want a solution, go look for a low DPS EF with LS and high LoH. That's what I have on me at all times for that particular affix.

Use serenity if bust out of frozen, but use it only if you really need it.

Monks are a bit more refined than the "spin to win" play style of barbarians.
Edited by Weegee#6520 on 1/21/2013 6:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
470AR + 4.6k armor is low. Try to work it up to 600AR + 5k armor
as for current 1.06 RD, don't mouse-press-down-all-the-way on them, you need to kite and find white mobs as buffer. Your APS is high enough to have backfire on RD.
avoid all the ground effects whenever you can. prepare Serenity and pops it when needed.
Reply Quote
@Weegee - Thanks for such a great advise. I think i'm littel low on AR so i'm thinking of changing out my bracer for something with high core stat yellow one.

@yuhhaur - I 100% agree. I think my Armor and AR is low. looking at some bracers like yours but with vita/pickupradius and Glove with AIS, AR and +armor. hopefully these changes will help me avoid changing charaters when playing higher MP.
Reply Quote
@Weegee - Thanks for such a great advise. I think i'm littel low on AR so i'm thinking of changing out my bracer for something with high core stat yellow one.

@yuhhaur - I 100% agree. I think my Armor and AR is low. looking at some bracers like yours but with vita/pickupradius and Glove with AIS, AR and +armor. hopefully these changes will help me avoid changing charaters when playing higher MP.

Just as a tip, your gear isnt really based on using One with Everything, its mostly all resist on your gear with a tid bit of cold ect. If you want really easy quick fix get more double AR gear like a ward with All resist + poison, fire, cold whatever have you :)
Reply Quote
I would say lose OWE your only getting like 80 resist from it and pick up a better defensive passive. Either that or find more gear with a 2nd resist but imo I'd say lose OWE now while you still can.

Also my monk on mp5 with cyclone build gets destroyed by two things that's RD and Arcane but otherwise hes good to go. If those are the two things destroying you the most I'm not sure what the monk answer is to them besides kite kite kite.
Reply Quote
I would say lose OWE your only getting like 80 resist from it and pick up a better defensive passive. Either that or find more gear with a 2nd resist but imo I'd say lose OWE now while you still can.

Also my monk on mp5 with cyclone build gets destroyed by two things that's RD and Arcane but otherwise hes good to go. If those are the two things destroying you the most I'm not sure what the monk answer is to them besides kite kite kite.

Glad we both brought this problem up, almost at the exact same time lol
Reply Quote
You've built yourself a nice glass cannon. To go higher in mp levels, you need more ehp, mitigation, and sustain. Good #'s to shoot for in addition to what you already have are:

5k more hp
100 more AR
700-1000 more armor
0.4% more LS
5-800 life regen (total)
5-800 life on hit (total)

With those additions you'll be able to do mp10 np. Until then, you should probably focus a bit more on defense with your skills and passives. I'd suggest MoE: HT instead of OA, DR:FS instead of WoL, and BoY instead of OWE.
Reply Quote
@gotaplanstan - I agree, I was thinking about the same number figures as you listed. I already have few ideas to fulfill the those upgrade but life regen..? where can you gain life regen beside from the ward?

@vindemiatrix - Thanks for the tip, is it better to away from OWE or stack more secondary resistance to maximize the OWE? I think i can add little more of secondary but not much with this build. Only place I can think of is change my belt (cold resistance - to - physical resistance along with some AR). I can look at changing my bracer with higher stats since i don't need the MS but will loose the IAS.

Overall, building monk is trickier than I anticipated... lol
Reply Quote
@chingchong

Good call on swapping the bracers. Lacunis are great for glass cannons but you're missing out on a lot of sustain there. I picked up my bracers today for 25 mil (bid) and while I lost 1k DPS, I gained quite a bit of AR (with OWE) and 6 yard pickup radius.

A quick and easy boost to your sustain will be to put a vit gem in your Mempo. 1.07 will be boosting exp gained from higher MP levels anyway, and you'll still have the exp gem option for lower MP levels.

Life regen can be found on multiple item types. I got myself up to 1,500 LPS at one point, but I slowly moved away from it in favor of more DPS. LPS is never a bad thing, especially if you find yourself kiting a lot.

Stacking a single resist type and using OWE can be a huge gold saver, but single resists don't go as high as AR and dual resist gear can eat up slots that could have otherwise gone to other things. I went with single resist on my chest as a way to save a LOT of gold, for example.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 08:13 PMPosted by chingchong69
I agree, I was thinking about the same number figures as you listed. I already have few ideas to fulfill the those upgrade but life regen..? where can you gain life regen beside from the ward?

Well you already got a Reflection too so yours is already around 450ish. Litany and Wailing Host also come with some (161-234) built in.

I'd say its generally harder to pick up that amount (5-800) of LOH over LR though. Of course, if you're willing to drop Inna's pants and get 2pc BT's with pants+neck then its not too tough to get 8-1000.
Reply Quote
You need more life steal/LoH. Another thing is that One with Everything is only giving you +88 AR and I think that slot could be better used unless you plan to get more gear with physical resist.

Your gear is really good but I think a new amulet is the obvious and possibly least expensive solution. A different main-hand weapon is probably another alternative but, if I remember correctly, that would mean you'd have to find something other than an EF because of the limited number of affixes (you'd lose the OS in favor of life steal).
Reply Quote
I'm overly impressed with the amount of help I received, Thanks for the input guys. Now i'm looking for follwing items if any of you have it for sale or give me an estimate figure on the cost:

WH: Dex 80+
Vita 80+
Phy Resis 45+
AR 40+
CD 40+
IAS I guess 8+

Rare Bracer: Dex 125+
Vita 100+
CC 6
Phy Resis 45
AR 40+
Pick Up Radius (Optional)
Armor (Optional)
Life (Optional)
Reply Quote

I'd say its generally harder to pick up that amount (5-800) of LOH over LR though. Of course, if you're willing to drop Inna's pants and get 2pc BT's with pants+neck then its not too tough to get 8-1000.

That is a good suggestion.

I just put together a quick BT sustain set with pants and chest for less than 20 mil combined. I lost 15k DPS and gained about 12k life as well as armor and AR. The pants provide LOH and the chest provides ranged dmg reduction in place of the Vast Expanse melee reduction. I lost 12% movement speed but I was able to regain most of it by using fleet footed. I'll wear the set for the next day or two in order to get used to how much it helps, but I can tell that desecrator pools don't hurt much at all if I'm hitting something.

Edit: The BT chest and pants brought my EHP from 482k to 655k according to d3up.com. : )
Edited by Treleth#1141 on 1/22/2013 5:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
So... I changed my belt, ammy and found a lower stat bracer and my eHP went up to 720k but lost about 10k dps.
Reply Quote
You also might want to try a slightly different skill set up until you get the dps / ehp you need.

Run near death passive and mantra of evasion with divine intra and you'll die a ton less at the cost of a bit of dps.
Reply Quote
My monk can do MP7 no problems. MP8 if I'm careful and don't fight 2 elite packs at the same time.

Although, I do need to switch out for more LoH when I encounter Molten and RD. But it's getting nerfed in 1.0.7 so we'll see...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]