Diablo® III

comparing resources regeneration, 1.07 PVE Monk is dead

before 1.07, for the monks those don't swap gear, the dps boost of sweeping wind by blinding flash and breath of heaven are essential to keep up the damage output comparing to
other classes.
Now this method is no longer useful. Although the damage of sweeping wind has been increased by ~ 33%, the damage is actually decreased.
With proper gearing, the damage boosted by BoH and BF can be at least 55%. So it is a dps nerf for nearly all monks in PVE.

How about the damage buffed about other skills?
lashing tail kick is obviously a PVP skill because you cannot maintain the damage output when u kick the mob away.
Dashing strike is a single targeted skill which is not used for damage output.
Cyclone Strike and Wave of Light - They are very good damage output skills BUT IT COST TOO MUCH SPIRIT. AND THE SIPIRT REGEN CANNOT CATCHUP.

With the current spirit regeneration amount, it is impossible to spam those skills.
For the other classes like Barb's Hammer of the ancients (it regen fury on crits) Wizard's Archon form, etc. They can spam the skills rapidly but not for Monk.

I am a Hardcore player using monk. In HC everyone uses shield in order to stay alive so the attack speed cannot be as fast as SC so the spirit regen is really slow. Monk's DPS is harder to upgrade than every other classes. Considering the dps nerf, I think I may quit playing monk and switch to other classes.

other than resource regenerators, each class has different way to regen resources
barbarian(100fury):
battle rage - gains 15 fury on Cri, with fast attack speed, barb can be full of fury hitting a group of mobs
Unforgiving - 2 fury per sec
Animosity - +20% regeneration
superstition - chance to regen 3 fury when taking elemental damages
5 IK set bonus: 2 per sec
being hit

Demon hunter(125hatred):
regen very fast over time
vengeance - each health globe taken regains 20 hatred

Monk(150 spirits):
chant of resonance - 2 per sec when mantra is active
exalted soul - +100 max spirit and regen 1 per sec
items- 1-2.5 spirits/sec for helm, weapon, SOJs, mara's amulet

I didn't play wizard or WD, but I know wizard has items that regen energy on crits and WD can regen on kill.
Reply Quote
spam over awe champ, 45% more damage is freakishly good, and when your not spaming it you can switch mantras to regain spirit faster, or heal or whatever. If you use guardians path with 2hander(6% LS), exalted soul and fists of thunder quickening you wont run out anytime soon. Its the basis for a good tempest rush build, slow attack speed, max spirit regen, large spirit pool.

I have 1.05 attacks per second and I never run out of spirit. ever.

[edit] also I should point out almost every monk ability has a spirit generator rune of some kind, if you choose not to use them that's your own choice and it doesn't surprise me you only listed 3 when there are so many. I don't think you are aware of them and if you are, shame on you for purposefully omitting them from your 'evidence'.
Edited by DeadLegacy#6405 on 1/22/2013 7:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
The problem is that everyone uses the same monk build, switch it up and stop being so darn cookie cutter.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 07:41 AMPosted by Serenity
The problem is that everyone uses the same monk build, switch it up and stop being so darn cookie cutter.
Reply Quote
before 1.07, for the monks those don't swap gear, the dps boost of sweeping wind by blinding flash and breath of heaven are essential to keep up the damage output comparing to
other classes.
Now this method is no longer useful. Although the damage of sweeping wind has been increased by ~ 33%, the damage is actually decreased.
With proper gearing, the damage boosted by BoH and BF can be at least 55%. So it is a dps nerf for nearly all monks in PVE.

How about the damage buffed about other skills?
lashing tail kick is obviously a PVP skill because you cannot maintain the damage output when u kick the mob away.
Dashing strike is a single targeted skill which is not used for damage output.
Cyclone Strike and Wave of Light - They are very good damage output skills BUT IT COST TOO MUCH SPIRIT. AND THE SIPIRT REGEN CANNOT CATCHUP.

With the current spirit regeneration amount, it is impossible to spam those skills.
For the other classes like Barb's Hammer of the ancients (it regen fury on crits) Wizard's Archon form, etc. They can spam the skills rapidly but not for Monk.

I am a Hardcore player using monk. In HC everyone uses shield in order to stay alive so the attack speed cannot be as fast as SC so the spirit regen is really slow. Monk's DPS is harder to upgrade than every other classes. Considering the dps nerf, I think I may quit playing monk and switch to other classes.

other than resource regenerators, each class has different way to regen resources
barbarian(100fury):
battle rage - gains 15 fury on Cri, with fast attack speed, barb can be full of fury hitting a group of mobs
Unforgiving - 2 fury per sec
Animosity - +20% regeneration
superstition - chance to regen 3 fury when taking elemental damages
5 IK set bonus: 2 per sec
being hit

Demon hunter(125hatred):
regen very fast over time
vengeance - each health globe taken regains 20 hatred

Monk(150 spirits):
chant of resonance - 2 per sec when mantra is active
exalted soul - +100 max spirit and regen 1 per sec
items- 1-2.5 spirits/sec for helm, weapon, SOJs, mara's amulet

I didn't play wizard or WD, but I know wizard has items that regen energy on crits and WD can regen on kill.
You want to spam wave of light? Are you high? Dude on mp0 (which most people farm in this game) You can 1 shot any champ pack with this spell alone or SSS.
Reply Quote
Dude, get with the program...

2.0+ attack speed + 50%+ crit chance <---- these are very important

plus the new WoL (Empowered Rune of course) along with FoT-Quickening is the new "cookie cutter."

Go time/compare it ;). Try to hit Overawe then spam bells (& repeat) but even not hitting Overawe and only Bells will do more damage then the old "spam Overawe" builds. The AoE is nice too so could see this working in MP 5 and lower with 2handers.

*I have NO problem on PTR with MP 8+... it's definitely faster than the old Thunderclap-Spam/Overawe - see my profile for more details.

Quickening + high crit/attack speed is really, really good with buffed spirit spendors :) - THANK YOU BLIZZARD!
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 1/22/2013 8:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
Actually, with my gear (that I am not currently wearing since it's faster to farm with the cookie cutter spec) I can spam WoL empowered rune every 3 attacks.

This was with Deadly Reach however which has a slower animation speed, so it might equal out to 4 attacks with FoT.

I've have loved WoL since soon after I hit 60 and I can't wait for 1.07.

Also, it really helps to get good LPSS when using it. It really ups your sustain.
Reply Quote
Dude, get with the program...

2.0+ attack speed + 50%+ crit chance <---- these are very important

plus the new WoL (Empowered Rune of course) along with FoT-Quickening is the new "cookie cutter."

Go time/compare it ;). Try to hit Overawe then spam bells (& repeat) but even not hitting Overawe and only Bells will do more damage then the old "spam Overawe" builds. The AoE is nice too so could see this working in MP 5 and lower with 2handers.

*I have NO problem on PTR with MP 8+... it's definitely faster than the old Thunderclap-Spam/Overawe - see my profile for more details.

Quickening + high crit/attack speed is really, really good with buffed spirit spendors :) - THANK YOU BLIZZARD!

Oh ya, with quickening you could spam the heck out of it. You might not even need to use Empowered Wave if you have enough crit and regen, so you could use different runes for more power or diversity.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]