Diablo® III

Hawk's Quest for the True Budget TR Monk

There have been a number of threads dedicated to 'budget' tempest rush monks, but any that I have looked at started throwing around numbers like 10mil. To those who have played since day one, 10 million gold may well be a budget build, but to a noob like myself it is anything but. And so I've decided to start my quest for the successful TR monk on a true budget.

For any of you that don't know, a TR monk uses gear and abilities to regenerate spirit faster than the tempest rush ability uses it up (which is 10 spirit per attack/second). This leads to two main restrictions on gear: minimum attack speed and maximum spirit per second.

EDIT - Based on my recent experiences, I have made some updates to the Builds, Weapon, and Conclusions sections.

Caveats, Restrictions, and Other Things I Should Mention Before I Start

This is a quest, not a guide. If you're looking for advice, I hope I can help. However, I'm still trying to make it work myself, so don't expect me to have all the answers. In fact, the advice I do have may turn out to be wrong. On that note, feel free to give your own advice, even if it turns out to be wrong. I'm not willing to spend a lot of gold, but I'm willing to try things out. I'll try to update this post as I figure out what does and doesn't work.

I'll try to avoid making this more of a wall of text than need be, but I intend to explain the build a bit, and then list what stats I looked for on each equip, as well as what they cost. No matter how I do this, you're in for quite a read, so I hope you'll be patient with me.

The target is <1million total on the AH. If I find a better drop I may use it, but I will try to estimate it's value on the AH. If the estimated value puts me much over the target, then I will have to try to get an effective build going that doesn't use that item.

The 1 million gold target is a soft target. If I have to push it up to 2 million to make the build work, I will do so, albeit reluctantly.

Because this is a budget build, I don't expect it to perform as well as a much more expensive build. To be successful I should be able to clear trash mobs in only a couple passes, and kill elites with most combinations of affixes without worrying about dying.

Since TR does so much less damage than the standard Fists of Thunder/Sweeping Wind combination, I don't expect to be able to kill the elites as quickly. However, since the point of TR is to be faster than the standard build, the extra time needed to kill elites should be less than or equal to the extra time needed for a FoT/SW monk to move around the map.

I'm not playing on the PTR, so I'm currently trying to make this work on patch 1.0.6. However, I fully intend it to be viable on patch 1.0.7, so I don't intend to rely on the snapshot bug (especially since I only learned about it recently and forget to buff before using sweeping wind at least half the time). Hopefully the buffs will improve some of the difficulties I'm having.

I have gotten as far as I have by building off the advice and work of others. I highly recommend you check out the following for additional (and probably better) insights:

Druin's Tempest Rush Compendium
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895?page=1
This thread includes all things tempest rush, and my ultimate goal with this quest is for Druin to read the end results, and build upon my mistakes and poor decisions to develop a proper <1million TR guide.

Archon InfernoFriday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5_RQMloHKI
It may seem weird to rely on advice for a wizard build, but I find there are a number of similarities between an archon wizard build and the tempest rush monk (also my first class was a wiz, so I knew about this link). In the video I linked, Archon the Wizard shows how to build a successful archon build for under 1 million, and I think his advice is very helpful for building any budget build, regardless of class.

ZilianOP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlCBaBE574I
For all the same reasons I found Archon's video helpful, I found this video from ZilianOP helpful as well. He ends up spending a little more (2.2million), and the CM build he shows is quite different from a tempest rush monk (trying to get as much IAS as possible instead of avoiding it like the plague). Regardless, I found the video quite helpful.

Builds

I'm not going to go into too much detail about how these builds were developed, since I'd basically be rehashing the advice on Druin's fantastic guide: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895?page=1#2
EDIT - I have updated my build recommendations based on my newly acquired TR experience. In particular I have added SSS, and a spirit generator (although the spirit generator is more for damage than spirit generation). Please note that you should always buff yourself before using SSS. Recasting MoC boosts your SSS quite a bit, and on a budget you will need to squeeze all the DPS out of your build that you can.

Build 1: The goal
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#.c.S.k!Zcd!.Z...c
Ideally I'd like to get a build with this basic structure working. However, this requires a lot more spirit/second than will be possible with a budget build, so it's more of a target - if I can get a working TR build then I should be able to earn the money/farm the items needed to work my way to Build 1. I fill in the open slots/runes like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acXSTk!Zcd!aZbbcc
While there are arguments for other choices, I have found these gave the greatest success.

Equipment spirit per second requirements with zero IAS:
Basic: 6.15
With Templar: 5.5
Ideal equipment target with zero IAS:
Optimum: 8.7
Opt with Templar: 7.81

The ideal targets will generate enough spirit to recast seven-sided strike once it's off cooldown, and rebuff blazing wrath and mantra of conviction as soon as the buffs end. (You're on your own for casting sweeping wind though - try not to let it drop once you cast it)

Build 2: The compromise
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#.c.S.k!bcd!.Z...c
I have had the greatest success with this build, and recommend it for anyone making a budget TR monk. Using exalted soul instead of fleet footed reduces the spirit regeneration needed on the equipment to a point that can be reached just barely with only two pieces of equipment if you have the templar with you. I fill the empty slots as follows:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acXSTk!bcd!aZbacc
Notice that I use the Master of Wind rune on Sweeping Wind. This is a significant hit to DPS, but allows you to keep SW up easily. I have been trying to use Fire Storm instead, and I think that with practice I will be able to. The key to using Fire Storm instead is enough familiarity with the route that you always find the next mobs within 6 seconds. This shouldn't be too hard for anywhere with enough mob density to be worth farming. Regardless, I find Master of Wind is a good set of 'training wheels', and is also useful if you're hunting loot rather than XP.

Basic: 5.15
With Templar: 4.5 *Can be reached with 2 equips with high Spirit/Second
Optimum: 7.7
Opt with Templar: 6.81

Build 3: The starting point
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#.c.S.Q!.cd!.Z...Z
Losing the mantra of conviction is a big hit to DPS, but the spirit regen from the circular breathing rune makes it easy to generate enough spirit with cheaper equipment. One of the biggest advantages of this build is that it can work without a Daibo, which allows you to get better affixes on your weapons, as well as boosting the damage of Seven-Sided Strike. It also lets you ditch the templar to play coop. However, the loss of the MoC:Submission rune is very noticeable, and for that reason, I don't recommend it. As before the empty spaces are filled as follows:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acXSTQ!Zcd!aZbacZ

Basic: 3.15
With Templar: 2.5
Optimum: 5.7
Opt with Templar: 4.81

Equipment spirit per second requirements with two-handed mace (attack speed = 0.9 att/sec) and zero IAS:
Basic: 1.67
With Templar: 1.13 *If you replace Fleet-footed with Exalted Soul, you can effectively TR without any S/S
Optimum: 4.2
Opt with Templar: 3.44

Gear Part 1: The Essentials

At it's core, the TR build simply relies on the ability to regenerate spirit faster than it is used up. There are 4 slots that can get spirit per second without legacy items: weapon, head, ring and amulet. I'm not familiar with the legacy items, but I know that I once saw a belt with spirit regen priced at over 18 million - obviously not an option for a budget build.

Rings & Amulets with Spirit Regen
The rings and amulets with spirit/second are all legendaries and all quite expensive. The only one that can be reliably bought within this budget is the Manald Heal, and that's because it's not very good: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/manald-heal
  • find this in the AH by searching all armor types with:spirit regen, >24 int, >3% life and >+3 exp/kill
  • I will be keeping my eye open for an affordable Manald Heal, but at this point I'm not sure if it will even be feasible since it essentially wastes a ring slot. With that said, using a Manald Heal may be the only way to graduate from build 3 to build 2 on a budget, unless someone posts the other legendaries for less than they're worth. For the record, those legendaries are:
    Holy Beacon - Typically ~8+ million gold
  • find this in the AH by searching for "Holy Beacon"
  • Xephirian's Amulet - Typically ~900k+ gold
  • find this in the AH by searching all armor types with: spirit regen and >25% Magic find
  • this is probably your best bet for getting a third slot with spirit regen on a low budget
  • Stone of Jordan - Typically ~3+ million gold
  • find this in the AH by searching all armor types with: spirit regen and >25% Magic find
    Daibos and Spirit Stones
    Fist weapons can also have spirit regen, but the attack speed is too high, so I'll only be considering Daibos.

EDIT - I found my weapon didn't quite cut it, so I bought a new one and have adjusted my advice accordingly
    Daibos and spirit stones can have spirit regen between 1-2.5. To find my weapon, I specified an upper limit of 300k, since this is bound to be the most important piece of equipment. I also specified at least 2.1 spirit regen, and then sorted by DPS. Most options were around 200k, but there were several around 100k, and a couple that were dirt cheap. You will probably have to settle in some regard on the weapon, unless you have a larger budget than I'm working with. You basically get two of: crit damage, life steal, or spirit/second (if you skip spirit/sec, then you want a 2-hand mace for the 0.9 attack speed, used with build 3)
    I have found some very cheap weapons, each with strengths and weaknesses.
    The best success I've had was an auction I won for just 3k. This Daibo has 985 dps, 299 dex, 2.42 spirit/sec and 128% crit damage. The biggest drawback is the lack of healing, which is definitely noticeable. If you can get life steal, life on hit, or even life/spirit spend or life on kill, I recommend it. However, one of the biggest challenges for this budget is the low DPS, so don't sacrifice too much for healing.

Spirit stones are (currently) more readily available in my price range. I set an upper limit of 100k, at least 2 spirit regen, 90dex, and 38 all resist. There are plenty of Madstones available for ~50k. I picked one up with 2.32 spirit/second, 126Dex, 41 bit, 73 AR, 247 regen, increase SW damage 11% and 396 armor. This brings me to a total of 4.55 spirit/second, meaning I can try build 2, although I may have to stop running to regen spirit if I use a lot of abilities.

If you're following along, then at this point you can switch your skills, equip your daibo and spirit stone, and remove any equipment with IAS. Congratulations, you are now a TR monk. Depending on your current gear, you may not be a particularly good one, but you can drop your difficulty to normal or nightmare and get a feel for the build. As an added bonus, if you have +24% Move speed, you can experience the joy of a cumulative +59% movement speed. Be sure to find a fleeting shrine for the full +84% bonus and watch the templar's legs as he runs at Mach 2 to keep up with you.

Total cost so far: 60k
    Total cost if you can't find good deals: 150k

Gear Part 2: Filling the Empty Slots

Okay, so I've got a tempest rush monk capable of clearing nightmare, let's see if I can make it actually useful for something other than farming Leoric's Signet.

I'll start with the jewellery.

Amulet and Rings Without Spirit Regen
    Jewellery will be a big source of crit chance and crit damage, as well as some dex and vit

For the amulet I searched CC >6.5, CHD >40 and upper limit of 125k. Amulets with Dex were too expensive, but otherwise there were several options for 50k. I settled on one with 33 min damage, 7 crit chance, and 60% CHD.

For rings 1, I searched CC >3, CHD, and Dex >70. Several options for 100k were available. I grabbed one with 4.5CC, 32CHD, and 93 Dex.

Ring 2 I replaced Dex with Vit which gave several options at 50k. I grabbed one with 76 vit, 4% life, 153 armor, 3.5% cc, and 27CHD

Total cost so far: 260k
    Cost if you don't find good deals: 350k

Gloves
    Gloves I searched CC >8.5, CHD, Dex >80, Vit >60, and upper limit 125k. Most options were 75k or less. I grabbed a pair with 87 dex, 78 vit, 9%CC, 31CHD for 50k.

Bracers
    The final piece with crit chance, I searched CC>5, dex>60, vit>60, and All res>50 with an upper limit of 100k. I only got two results, both for exactly 100k, so I probably was looking for too much on these. Regardless, I grabbed one with 69 dex, 69 vit, 51 all res, and 5.5 CC

Belt
    For the belt I searched for Dex>70, Vit>70, and All res >48 with upper limit of 75k. I got several options under 20k, and I grabbed one with 76 dex, 85 vit, and 77 all res for 10k.

Total cost so far: 420k
    Cost if you don't find good deals: 545k

Pants
    On the pants I searched for 250+Armor, Vit>190, Dex>60, and upper limit of 150k. Most options were 50k, and I grabbed the fantastically named "mutiny mutiny" with 66 dex, 217 vit, 382 armor, and a socket for 50k. I have a radiant square emerald that I put in the socket, but if that's too much for your budget, a flawless square should be easy to find without resorting to the auction house.

Boots
    The boots need 12% move speed, and I also searched for Dex>90, All res>38, and vit with an upper limit of 150k. Several options were available for 50k, and i grabbed one with 111Dex, 84 vit, 45 all res, and of course 12%MS for 50k.

Shoulders
    On the shoulders I looked for vit>70, dex>70, all res >38 and life % with an upper limit of 150k. Several options are available for 50k or less, and I grabbed a pair with 108 dex, 90 vit, 64 all res, and 10% life for a mere 10k.

Total cost so far: 530k
    Cost if you don't find good deals: 695k

Chest
    I left the chest for last because I wanted to get a Tyrael's Might, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to afford it. Tyrael's Might with Dex starts at 400k, and is more commonly 445k. The reason I wanted Tyrael's might is because it was the best way I know of to get another 12% move speed without either losing a lot of stats or gaining attack speed. I got one for 400k with 188 dex, 74 all res, 6% dmg to demons, +3%dmg to elites and 420 armor.

Total cost for my full set: 930k + a radiant square emerald
    Total cost if you don't find any good deals: 1,140,000 + gems for any sockets

Final Geared Stats (Unbuffed)
    Str: 235
    Dex: 1538
    Int: 203
    Vit: 867
    Armor:3105
    DPS: 35k

Crit Chance: 34.5
    Crit Damage: +328%

Minimum Resists: 359
    Max Resists: 438

Life: 35k
    Life/sec: 247
    Life Steal: 0%

Spirit/Second (build 2, buffed with templar): 11.36
    Move speed: 24%

And of course, the most important stat - without which no build can work:
    Thorns: 172

Conclusion
    EDIT: I have played around with this build for enough that I think I can label it as 'mostly successful'. It certainly accomplished my goal of making a tempest rush monk capable of clearing most of inferno. Some elites gave me troubles, but overall the survivability is really good since you can run away from anything that gets your health low. DPS is definitely on the low side, but most trash mobs can be killed with three passes so this is really only a problem for elites and bosses. One of the most interesting things about tempest rushing is that the elite affixes that get on your nerves are way different. Waller and Jailer are super aggravating because you can't always run away like you want to be able to do, and if an elite has Shielding up when you hit SSS, it's going to take a lot longer to kill. However, Frozen is a complete joke since I can be on the other side of the map before it goes off. Arcane Enchanted still drives me mad though.

The problems faced by the budget TR monk are pretty much what you would expect: low dps due to cheaper gear, difficulty maintaining SW due to lack of Inna's set (although with TR move speed it's easier to get from one group of mobs to the next before your SW time runs out), and difficulty reaching the spirit/second requirements of the build. Only the low DPS really causes problems with the viability of the build. However, the ability to get away quickly and heal any time you're in trouble makes the survivability much better.

I haven't come up with a reliable estimate for xp/hour (that's the next step), but because some elites take a long time, I suspect it's worse than the standard cookie-cutter build, so the budget TR monk is probably more for someone who wants to try TRing, than for someone trying to get to Plvl100 as fast as possible. With that said, I can clear trash mobs waaayyyyy quicker, so maybe I just need to skip elites with Extra Health or Shielding. Regardless, tempest rushing is super fun, and if you have a million gold lying around, I recommend you get a set of TR gear for your monk.

What do you think? Am I on a fool's errand, and this build will only work for 25 million gold budgets or higher, or is there some merit in my quest? Please give your advice, ask your questions, and - if you dare - join me on the path to running around sanctuary for low, low prices.

Thanks for reading, I hope I didn't put too many of you to sleep.

-Hawk
    Edited by Hawk#1251 on 2/8/2013 7:56 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    - Diablo III (Monk)
    View profile
    Noted. Will read when I get to work tomorrow! :D

-Druin, the happy monk
    Reply Quote
    I haven't played for over 6 months. So a very low budget guide was perfect for me. Fortunately I was lucky with some of my previous loots I was able to sell them for a little over 6m.

I didn't keep it as low as a budget like yourself, but under 5m. I'm able to farm MP0 Act 3 with little issues. Had to change out BoH for FoT. Needed a Spirit Generator to kill some of the big guys/elites plus always ran out of spirit from my other abilities.

The direction on what to look for in each slot helped a lot.
    Reply Quote
    Well I've had the chance to test things out, and I think I'm on the right track. I have made a few changes, so I figured I should give an update.

Build

Like Awakened, I've needed to add some heavier damage dealers to deal with elites since it takes far too long to just tempest rush around them in circles. Here's the build i'm currently using:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acXSTk!bcd!aZbacc

I chose FoT because I needed a strong attack for when TR isn't cutting it. I may try some of the other spirit generators, especially Deadly Reach with Foresight. I definitely think a spirit generator is necessary, which one you choose is mostly personal preference.

I also swapped serenity out for SSS. The cooldown on SSS is unfortunate, and basically means you can't rely on it. I see SSS as more of a bonus - if it's off cooldown then you can kill the next elite you see much quicker, otherwise you use FoT (or TR if you can manage).

Finally, I'm playing with the rune on Sweeping Wind, since my crit chance isn't high enough to justify Cyclone. (Druin's guide recommends ~42%, and I only have 34.5). Fire Storm does a nice amount of damage, and I think I'll try to transition to it at some point. I'm currently using Master of Wind, which basically feels like training wheels. It also gives you more time to loot which is nice.

Gear

I also bid on a daibo with 985 dps, 299 dex, 2.42 spirit/sec and 128% crit damage. I guess no one else was interested because I won the auction for a mere 3k gold. This has pushed my paper dps up by over 12k, and while I definitely notice the lack of life steal, I think the damage boost is worth it. Unfortunately, getting both crit damage and life steal costs too much, but if I was to spend a lot more on just one piece of equipment, I think that's what I'd go for.

I also found some decent boots with pick up radius - 161 dex, 60 vit, 12%MS, and +5 PUR. All I sacrificed was the all res on my previous boots, which isn't a problem since I've found this build to have very good survivability as you can always just run away if things don't look good. This is by no means a mandatory upgrade, and similar boots on the AH are out of my budget, so if you're making your own budget TR monk, keep an eye out for pick up radius, but don't be disappointed if you don't get it. I haven't checked yet, but I suspect the cheapest slot to get PUR is probably the belt or shoulders.
    Reply Quote
    Have you tried calculating what sort of Exp/Hour numbers you're getting? I almost feel like at your level of DPS you're better off just using the traditional cookie-cutter.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just curious how well TR works at that level of DPS.
    Reply Quote
    Good luck witj your quest. I applaud and approve all who follow the noble path of Budget Monking.

One thing to consider is non-diabos. Particularly, weapons with a natural attack speed of 0.90. They drain spirit about 20% slower than Diabos, meaning you cab get away with not having spirit regen on them. I bought the one currently on my profile for 1M gold, so decent ones are affordable.

EDIT: forgot to add that slower weapons hit harder than faster weapons with the same DPS if you're using Seven Sided Strike, which helps a lot with the elite packs.
    Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 1/25/2013 9:13 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    I may have missed it, but TR with ZERO ias isnt really doable since you usually need innas 4 piece set.

are you running this without innas? i dont see it mentioned here.
    Reply Quote
    At this budget, running without Inna's is a given. If you're making multiple passes through the white mobs, though, you'll need it less.

He's working with the 20 second rune right now, but I know that with standard cookie-cutter I can maintain SW in dense areas like the Keeps level 2 for most of the time even with the 75 spirit cost. It will be difficult without significant Move Speed, which is hard to get without Inna's pants and/or Fleet Footed, both of which may not be feasible at this budget.

Another thing to consider: If they are upping the XP bonus for Monster Power in 1.0.7, could a build like this in Act 3 Hell difficulty at high MP outperform standard builds in terms of XP/hour. (You can really lower your defenses if you're not in Inferno).

Actually, that's a decent question about TR in general. Has anyone looked into the XP benefits of high MP Hell difficulty in patch 1.0.7?
    Reply Quote
    Don't you kill your loot tables if you're in hell though?
    Reply Quote
    01/25/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Piffle
    Don't you kill your loot tables if you're in hell though?

Yes, there's no item level 63, if I recall. Anyway, I think the question might be moot. I just checked the 1.0.7 patch updates. I figured that with MP 10 being 6 times the experience, you might get more XP in Hell.

However, I checked the patch notes. They only mention increasing XP awards for Inferno difficulty, so unless there's reason to believe that they changed lower difficulties as well (and they likely won't due to power leveling concerns pre-level 60) I think I can withdraw the question of playing high MP Hell.
    Reply Quote
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. To answer a couple of the questions and concerns people have brought up:

Have you tried calculating what sort of Exp/Hour numbers you're getting? I almost feel like at your level of DPS you're better off just using the traditional cookie-cutter.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just curious how well TR works at that level of DPS.

I appreciate the warning, and I went into this fully expecting not to be able to make this work, however I've found that I can clear the trash mobs much quicker than the cookie-cutter build, and the major problems come from elites. I intend to come up with an estimate for xp/hour once the patch hits. Just from the feel of things I'd say it's less efficient, so I hardly expect to see a huge wave of TR monks replacing the cookie-cutter monks. Nonetheless it actually feels fairly close, as long as you don't hit too many annoying elites.

One thing to consider is non-diabos. Particularly, weapons with a natural attack speed of 0.90. They drain spirit about 20% slower than Diabos, meaning you cab get away with not having spirit regen on them. I bought the one currently on my profile for 1M gold, so decent ones are affordable.

EDIT: forgot to add that slower weapons hit harder than faster weapons with the same DPS if you're using Seven Sided Strike, which helps a lot with the elite packs.

I tried playing around with a 2-hand mace after reading your comment, and it's certainly something to consider, but in the end I found it to be less effective. Definitely easier to find something affordable though. The biggest problem is that they only work if you're using MoH: Circular Breathing, and I found the DPS loss from losing MoC Submission was just too much. Then again, it certainly helped boost SSS, so I may give it another try at some point.

I may have missed it, but TR with ZERO ias isnt really doable since you usually need innas 4 piece set.

are you running this without innas? i dont see it mentioned here.

At this budget, running without Inna's is a given. If you're making multiple passes through the white mobs, though, you'll need it less.

He's working with the 20 second rune right now, but I know that with standard cookie-cutter I can maintain SW in dense areas like the Keeps level 2 for most of the time even with the 75 spirit cost. It will be difficult without significant Move Speed, which is hard to get without Inna's pants and/or Fleet Footed, both of which may not be feasible at this budget.

Another thing to consider: If they are upping the XP bonus for Monster Power in 1.0.7, could a build like this in Act 3 Hell difficulty at high MP outperform standard builds in terms of XP/hour. (You can really lower your defenses if you're not in Inferno).

Actually, that's a decent question about TR in general. Has anyone looked into the XP benefits of high MP Hell difficulty in patch 1.0.7?

Thanks for answering that question for me Demiwraith :)
    I actually did manage to get 24% move speed without Inna's pants by getting Tyrael's Might. It's definitely the most expensive piece in this set at 400k+, but it lets you get move speed without getting attack speed or sacrificing too much stats (the other option for MS without IAS is Compass Rose which has poor stats)

In case you're curious, I find most white mobs die after three passes, which I think is pretty good for such cheap gear.

And maintaining SW without Inna's set should be easier for a TR build than a cookie-cutter build since I can get from one mob to the next quicker, so I fully intend to switch to Fire Storm once I can shake this bad habit of picking up loot.

And since you raised the issue, I decided to run through Hell MP10 for S&Gs. As you might expect, I absolutely destroyed it, and with all the move speed boosts, I feel safe saying that TR is the fastest way to clear Hell MP10... if only there were some reason to do so.

-Hawk
    Reply Quote

I think they are only upping xp for inferno....
    Reply Quote
    Ok, so I've been playing around with WoL, and I'm loving it. I've been trying to get some benchmarks to provide comparisons, and a preliminary run shows that the Kaho run that Druin recommends took me about 15 minutes. Obviously not as good as if I was fully geared, but there were several spots that took me longer than they should have, so I think I can get that down to 12 minutes or so. I'll leave it to you to decide if that's worth it or not.

At some point I'll add this to my original post, but here's the build I'm using:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecXSTQ!bcd!bZbYcZ
    A few notes:
    -I was only using the spirit generator for damage when my SSS was on cooldown, so I swapped it for WoL and I doubt I'll ever go back.
    -With Inner Storm at 3 stacks, and the templar following, I get 16.6 spirit/second.
    -With a 2h mace (0.9 aps) I need 9 spirit/second for TR
    -I need 0.6 spirit/second to maintain BW and 1.7 to hit SSS every time it's off cooldown
    -This leaves 5.3 spirit/second dedicated to WoL, or 1 bell every 4 seconds
    -I try to maintain SW as much as possible, but since I can't get Inna's set, SW does run out sometimes.
    -As long as I have enough to recast SW before running through any large packs, then I'm fine
    -Exalted Soul seems necessary to manage those times when SW runs out

At this point, I think I can count my quest a success, although I'm sure there's still room for improvement. So if you're interested in getting a TR monk on a 1 million gold budget, feel free to follow my steps, and be sure to give your own feedback.

My next steps are to see if there are better options than SSS now that I can use WoL to kill elites, to see if I can manage to get MoC:Submission into this build without breaking the bank, to experiment with other WoL runes, and to do enough runs that I can give some reliable times and xp/hr estimates.

As always, leave your questions, give your advice, and if you try a budget monk of yourr own, share your experiences.

-Hawk
    Reply Quote
    Just now getting to read this thread and I can't say I'm too happy about it. Now I have to work the rest of the day thinking about how bad I want to try this out! I'm already sitting on a nice set of Inna's pants and a decent Skorn in the bank!
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]