we have a shot to ask one or two pointed questions about our class
what should our question be about.
I for one see a cpl of issues,
ap regen mechanisms,
terrible tal rasha set bonuses,
a lack of quality secondary skills either too much ap cost or not enough dmg
being forced to use cm so that we have access to defensive skills
fairly useless passives, ie paralysis and power hungry

we should decide on one or two questions and then we should vote the hell out of it so that devs can realize what we the playerbase think is wrong about wizards

(i know weve done it in several places before but hopefully this time theyll be forced to answer)
Reply Quote
How arcane regen is terrible and should change any passive or gear (like tal rasha final bonus) associated with it to Apoc instead.

Top priority

Secondary - fixing paralysis (can have no freeze CM builds evolve more if so since I know they love us perma freezing)

third

skill + choices , limited on gear vs typical CC/CD route
Reply Quote
Is this the "wizard" patch that they spoke about in previous patches? If so is that seriously all we got changed?

What about all the useless passives and spells that noone uses. And when you do buff spells you obviously didn't do it enough to where they are good alternatives.

-You buff Blizzard and make it not stack? Why? It doesnt do that much damage.
-Arcane Orb - you buffed it so its still useless in its current format.
-Shock Pulse - Your best attempt yet at fixing the DPS of a Signature spell.

•Fire Bolts •Weapon damage increased from 152% to 195%

•Arcane Orb •Weapon damage increased from 175% to 200%

The dps damage comparison between those 2 makes me laugh. A signature spell doing roughly the exact same damage as a Arcane Power(35) user.

FIX ARCANE ORB
Reply Quote
I agree that our passives and tals set bonus need improving. PvP is adding some value to some of the hitherto worthless abilities, but there are still some that just don't work.

If we're making requests, how about making APoC standard on wands instead of max AP? Keeps the wizardy flavor without totally detracting from the overall effectiveness of our class weapon. Or change the max AP ability to elemental skills deal x% more damage with x being > 10 to encourage more element themed builds, maybe? Anything is better than having a small boost to AP clogging one of the affixes on our weapon.
Reply Quote
Tal Bonus needs addressed
Reply Quote
arcane orb still wont be a viable build
Reply Quote
Arcane Orb offers nothing that sets it apart from anything else we have. It should be a super burst DPS AP dump nuke skill, it's not. Make one Rune of it cost 100 AP for one cast but do 800% AOE weapon damage or more as Fire. I think people would use that. Otherwise make it a vortex that sucks enemies in and dont buff the DPS that much.

Tal's set bonuses should be buffed from 3% to 10% more skill damage, and AP regen should be changed to either 10 APOC or 5 Casting Cost Reduction.

More weapon choices. Would it kill them to make a viable legendary Wizard staff like in every other game? How about one that randomly casts spells for Zero AP cost? That would go well with my changes to Arcane Orb.

Also get rid of the "fist pump" cast animation. How about some Dr Strange jazz hands instead?
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 1/25/2013 9:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
@SteelPhantom great idea man.

I think personally I would have to narrow it down to these two questions:

1) Why is the Wizard the only class that requires a game breaking build to clear high difficulty content, and accordingly why are we then punished via horrible Tal Rasha Set Bonuses / Skill Damage% / Coefficients due to said build?

^Leaves us with no way to get resource back, have to rely on APOC, and when we get the resource back, there isn't extravagant to spend it on.

2) Why are the Wizard's skills designed so poorly when taking into account the actual mechanics and physics of gameplay in Inferno?

^Channel and Melee range spells plague the Wizard skill set. Why? If we were typecast as a ranged character there would be more spells like the Witch Doctor and Demon Hunter. Instead we are found struggling somewhere in the middle.
Reply Quote
I feel like all of these questions point to the larger question of build diversity. If we had better passives, better skill-passive synergy, and better gear (set) bonuses, we could play other builds. I know there is a build compendium and read through it, but honestly, most of the builds for higher mps are derivative of or based on critical mass/apoc.

The codependency is clear.

Just like monks feel One With Everything is a necessary passive, Critical Mass feels that way to us.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 08:46 AMPosted by Schenko7
Reply Quote
View profile
I feel like all of these questions point to the larger question of build diversity. If we had better passives, better skill-passive synergy, and better gear (set) bonuses, we could play other builds. I know there is a build compendium and read through it, but honestly, most of the builds for higher mps are derivative of or based on critical mass/apoc.

The codependency is clear.

Just like monks feel One With Everything is a necessary passive, Critical Mass feels that way to us.

monks can gear to not need owe, the problem is the cost to do so isnt worth it do to lackluster passives

while for us we have only one passive that allows high mp farmin, due to the way or defensive skills were created with crippling cooldowns

not arguing your point jen im just sayin that its messed up for both classes tbh

@trayen not gonna lie i steal alot of good ideas from the monk forums :)
Edited by SteelPhantom#1820 on 1/25/2013 10:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
Arcane Orb definitely needs re-working - I like the vortex idea a lot. You could come up with some really creative runes for this mechanic.

Archon needs to be viable in groups. On-screen kills by any party member should go towards the cooldown.

Paralysis needs to be fixed or replaced.

APOC on all wands like ATGOWTWT suggested.
Reply Quote
I suggest replacing Paralysis and Conflagration with something like this:

Paralysis becomes Lightning Reflexes- Increases attack speed, movement speed and dodge chance by 3% for 10 seconds whenever you crit with a Lightning spell. This effect can stack up to 5 times.

Conflagration- Fire spells gain 50% bonus crit damage and have a chance to cause a burning DoT + fear that can spread to other nearby mobs.
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 1/25/2013 10:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
Think If I understand the rules correctly the question needs to pertain to Patch 1.07 and its specific changes.

So to be specific why Was the only skill to actually be adjusted for pvp play a wizard skill. More importantly why the need to adjust even after you said you weren't going to balance anything based on pvp feedback. Not to call the development team Hypocritical, but an explaination is clearly warranted concerning that specific adjustment.

Second question that hasn't been put forth yet, and I would like addressed. How come you've promised big changes for patch 1.07 and only buffed a few of the skills that for lack of a better phrase are underwhelming. The melee range skills need to have their proc rates looked at again, Signature spells doing more total damage than secondary skills and with better proc rates, Force spells that are never used (Hint that wave of force skill that no one uses past level 20), CC breaker that because it's bugged doesn't break cc effects of (freeze, charm, fear, immobilize, slow, chill, and blind), Teleport issues with wormhole (its re-cast cool down is capped at 3). To start out with.

Wording obviously subject to change, but that surmise's my most important issues outstanding that no one above covered already.
Edited by Harrowing#1449 on 1/25/2013 11:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 08:46 AMPosted by Schenko7
Reply Quote
How about just asking for a couple more changes pre 1.07 so we can have new viable builds?

The changes made don't even come close to cm/ww and archon builds that already exist.
Reply Quote
DoctorDoom

"I suggest replacing Paralysis and Conflagration with something like this:Paralysis becomes Lightning Reflexes- Increases attack speed, movement speed and dodge chance by 3% for 10 seconds whenever you crit with a Lightning spell. This effect can stack up to 5 times.Conflagration- Fire spells gain 50% bonus crit damage and have a chance to cause a burning DoT + fear that can spread to other nearby mobs."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ooh,these are too good.^^^^

How about full Tal's set rolls/grants 15%-30% melee/ranged dmg reduction?
Reply Quote
I think we have a lot of questions from the Wizards standpoint we feel we need answered.....whether it be

skills
passives
procs being lowered constantly
why Archon isn't group friendly
why arcane orb's scaling damage is not on par with skills like rend

The reason why I said the Tal-Bonus is because it is a direct slap in the Wizard's face.....all of the other designed class armor sets have something beneficial with only two items.

Just imagine if that second bonus was something like

10% of your total Intelligence added
5% Damage
130 Intelligence
1% LS
5 APOC

I feel that the main question all Wizards should be asking is why the Tal-Rasha set that was such a founding piece in Diablo 2 has been quite frankly treated poorly within D3 compared to all other classes.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/25/2013 12:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Blizzard is scared to do what needs to be done. And what needs to be done is to buff disintegrate, arcane orb, RoF, arcane torrent to where they deal more damage than archon as long as you are running with some APOC, since archon and sig. based builds require no APOC.
Reply Quote
Apoc doesn't help that much with arcane orb. You still get screwed by the down time caused by the flight time of the orb before you get energy back. Plus you still have to run tap the source to make it affordable. They either need to leave the cost and greatly increase the damage so the other runes could be viable on a very hard hitting shot that you won't be able to fire that many times in a short period, or lower the cost and leave the damage where it is so that it is a semi-spammable middle damage shot.

I really wish they has left it frozen orb from D2 since we have to use a passive now to get the slow and arcane orb has a smaller area of effect.

It would also be nice to see it changed to Power Orb or something so that we could get different damage types. We have WAY too much arcane damage which Tals doesn't even buff in its set bonuses.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]