Diablo® III

Rare ring BIS over Hellfire ring?

Mm I'd have to disagree - I still think HF is BiS, at least compared to OP's rare ring. Fifty rings is ok, I've rolled more than 100+ with nothing good for cmwiz yet (have a pretty good one for archon). However, I have seen two ppl roll trifectas on their first try that are better by far than the one depicted so I'm still working on it, have collected 100+ to roll whenever I feel crazy enough to do it :) Ubers is all I do these days, hehe. I've also noticed an uptick in the numbers of ppl looking for ubers lately, looks like many ppl are also trying to get / improve thier rings, just fyi.
Edited by Carnac#1372 on 1/25/2013 7:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Rare is still bis but there's still a gd hf which is up there with em like mine ALesso n krathozen,etc ..it still hard for me to let go of my hf due to high dmg altho I don't need the exp anymore as i'm already para 100.

To others pls don't stop ubering as my business for free uber service will close shop as I rarely farm anymo except uber.hehee

That is a nice ring. Well, at least I can still make rings and hope that one will be better than what I have now. Though yours is a godly 1 in a million roll and it is not likely I will roll one. The 64 INT you have over me should be about a 7k dps increase and the 8% CD maybe another 3k. I would be happy with that.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 1/25/2013 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, I think Hellfire still can be good if you get lucky. I've managed to craft a little over 55 and I managed to get an almost perfect bifecta for my monk (6%cc and 47%cd). And that little baby just blew all of my other rings out of the water. I'll probably still enjoy doing MP9-10 ubers in 1.0.7. But that's because it's still an interesting challenge (well the Madgha/Leoric fight is) and it's fun to do carries with less experienced players that are excited to get their first hellfire ring.
Reply Quote
@KillerElite just FYI 200 INT is not the max on HF.

Check the ring on my WD. I've rolled 50-60 of them, that was my second one.
Reply Quote
@KillerElite just FYI 200 INT is not the max on HF.

Check the ring on my WD. I've rolled 50-60 of them, that was my second one.

He means as the base stat. Hellfire can roll up to 200 int/str/dext/vit, + 4 random rolls. Your ring used one of those rolls to get over 200 int. I think it was a int/vit roll.
Edited by Ben#1711 on 1/25/2013 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Ben

You're right about how I got that. I wasn't sure if he knew you could get a 2nd INT or INT+VIT roll on top of base.
Reply Quote
hellfire rings are decent but i have yet to roll a really good one the best i have rolled is a 9ias and 4.5cc ring... and i have made over 300 rings......
Reply Quote
@Ben. That is exactly what I meant

@worloega. My barb has a 251 strength hellfire.
Reply Quote
theres been a calculation that you actually need to craft 15k-30k hellfires to get the Bis ring..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN0vAA9XOng

all over US, only a few achieved the bis ring
Reply Quote
No doubt a rare ring is best, but I don't think I could afford the roll my Hellfire gave me (180 INT/6 CC/33 CD/28 All Res).

I guess that is the point, it was to give average joe's like myself a chance to work for a good ring as opposed to hours of farming/hoping or buying on the Auction House.
Reply Quote
While the HF ring is INT + 4 randoms (basically 5 random affixes?) and rare rings are 6 random affixes the HF gives you 1 set stat of your choice. At least I believe that's how it works, right?

For me this boils down to 2 points:

1) A 6 affix rare has a lower chance to roll better stats than a HF ring and the HF ring has slightly better chance for being a really good ring without being BIS.
2) In the grand scheme of things a Portal Boss run at MP8 or higher takes 30 to 45 mins for an average team with a fair chance (80%) of getting drops to make a 5 prop ring with 1 set stat of your choice. When compared to a full A3 loot run (takes me about 45 mins) I may or may not even get a ring drop much less a ring with 5 or more affix rolls and 1 being INT. Considering this I'd just have to say that it's all a 'loot hunt' and it just depends on where you put your effort.
Reply Quote
Just to break down some options, a portal boss run at MP10 can take just 15min or so, (I frequently time myself on carries), depending on your efficiency/group efficiency, etc. I've seen runners advertise services as low as 3M per run, some even free but those probably can't do runs at these speeds. Average cost is 4M, some are higher than that. Many are 1M (some free) if you have the machines so if you're already loot farming it's a small stretch to pick up the keys as well. You just have to factor in the time and costs based on what's best for you. The costs of buying a pretty good rare ring on AH are not that low (100m? 200m? Also have to wait for the right one to show up without being massively overpriced), so YMYD. Anyway, I've seen enough good HF rings that I want to keep trying at it ;P
Edited by Carnac#1372 on 1/25/2013 9:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
I knew I wasn't going to make an amazing Hellfire ring, so I just ditched the one I was using after hitting 100.
Reply Quote
Jenp, how many rare rings have you ditched?

Honest question.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Nanji
Jenp, how many rare rings have you ditched?

Zero, if they were good for me, I put them on my enchantress and kept giving her stuff. I took all those rings and gave them to friends who needed enchantress rings.
Reply Quote
Hmm, let me rephrase that question and clarify my intent. :)

I'm suggeset that farming HF rings with the goal of finding a good and usable ring is on equal footing with farming loot in general and finding a good usable rare ring.

You say you haven't found a usable HF ring in 100 attempts; that's highly likely scenario. Would you say you've found 100 rare rings (or more) over the course of your paragon leveling and farming? Of all the rare rings you've found, how many of them are usable?

I guess I'm getting off topic for the "BIS" conversation. ><
Reply Quote
Hmm, let me rephrase that question and clarify my intent. :)

I'm suggeset that farming HF rings with the goal of finding a good and usable ring is on equal footing with farming loot in general and finding a good usable rare ring.

You say you haven't found a usable HF ring in 100 attempts; that's highly likely scenario. Would you say you've found 100 rare rings (or more) over the course of your paragon leveling and farming? Of all the rare rings you've found, how many of them are usable?

I guess I'm getting off topic for the "BIS" conversation. ><

The chances to roll a BIS hellfire ring are probably no better than finding a similar BIS rare. At least with a rare, you have the option of buying one in the AH for a few hundred million that can be on par with some of the best hellfires. I originally thought the hellfire was going to be better than anything you can buy which I thought was supposed to be the point of these rings. I am just saying that with little effort searching and a bit of gold I bought a trifecta rare ring with 145 base INT, 41 VIT and a socket that is better than most hellfire rings that are crafted. I am sure with a lot more gold and a lot of patience, it would be possilble to find a rare ring that rivals or even topples the best hellfire out there.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 1/25/2013 10:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
@ KE. Agreed. :)
Reply Quote
If you are not looking for BIS, then the hellfire is guaranteed to at least be usable ad the majority of rares you find will be vendor trash.
Reply Quote
I used an 8ias 80resall hellfire for a long time. I kept thinking all I need is this exact ring with crit chance. But it just isn't going to happen without an insane number of tries. So I bought my rare ring for only 5M til I get something better. It's far from BIS but functions much better than my HF did because CM feels clunky to me with < 50% crit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]