Diablo® III

Question about 1.07, IAS, and pets like hydra

Will increased attack speed effect pets attack rate? Especially considering my main is a wiz, will IAS effect hydra? And if not, then what good is not having crit chance attached to pets? I read hydra was for people who didn't want to stack crit, giving us another gear option. If IAS doesn't effect pets/hydra, it would appear hydra builds are getting gimped.
Edited by Heyseus#1978 on 1/25/2013 1:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't IAS already affect pet attack speed and they can't crit so critical chance/bonus doesn't?
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 01:03 PMPosted by IronKenichi
Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't IAS already affect pet attack speed and they can't crit so critical chance/bonus doesn't?

Thats what I am unsure of. I don't know how IAS effects pets. Currently or in 1.07. I know that crit does not effect pets.
Reply Quote
well, the raw damage on rubies will add to your hydra's damage.
Reply Quote
As I understand it, increased attack speed speeds up the attack animation of Hydra, but not the frequency of attacks, i.e. the Hydra always attacks the same # of times/ second, but faster attack speeds mean that the animation of the attack is faster, and damage scales with paper DPS.

Crit chance/ crit damage do effect pets, but only by increasing paper DPS which their damage is in turn based off of.

This has never made sense to me, and I've always thought it would make more sense to have pets like Hydra and Sentry inherit the players attack speed, to give more value to attack speed over CC/CD.
Reply Quote
As I understand it, increased attack speed speeds up the attack animation of Hydra, but not the frequency of attacks, i.e. the Hydra always attacks the same # of times/ second, but faster attack speeds mean that the animation of the attack is faster, and damage scales with paper DPS.

Crit chance/ crit damage do effect pets, but only by increasing paper DPS which their damage is in turn based off of.

This has never made sense to me, and I've always thought it would make more sense to have pets like Hydra and Sentry inherit the players attack speed, to give more value to attack speed over CC/CD.

thank you for the explanation.
Reply Quote
hydra damage is not based off paper. They inherit your crit across the board, and iirc interact differently with IAS based off which rune. Hydras use a static 50CD, making crit and cd shirty hydra stats.

I know for a fact mammoth hydra does more damage when you add IAS, but does not attack faster. I'm fairly sure the other hydras behave the same, but haven't tested.
Edited by pabrt#1613 on 1/25/2013 4:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
is that why no one in their right mind uses hydra myself included?
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 05:00 PMPosted by Borderline
is that why no one in their right mind uses hydra myself included?

Since they revamped hydra, i have used it a lot myself because I can't play the smash keyboard wiz over and over because of a hand injury. I maybe wrong, but if hydra becomes a pet, it seems to me that would become a nerf.

That said, hydra seems to have its greatest benefit when the wizard doesn't have great gear. It seems the better the gear for the wizard, the less desirable hydra becomes.
Edited by Heyseus#1978 on 1/26/2013 4:23 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]