Diablo® III

Gem prospecting ruins gem trade on AH

It is extremely difficult to use AH to buy gems for profit. This probably applies mostly to Flawless Square Emeralds.

The crux of the matter is that people have figured out how to manipulate the pricing stats. If you search for one of these gems, the interface will typically tell you something like the following:

Price per Unit: 13,327
Average Last 10: 6,457

People will put up these gems at 100 gold and then immediately buy them back themselves just to drive down the Average Last 10 number.

The effect on a player who just wants to sell gems: the game will auto complete the sell price at 6,457 for them. These players get tricked by the game mechanics into grossly underpricing their gems.

The effect on a player who wishes to buy gems for craft: they are forced to put up purchase orders for the gem at a ridiculous price, 13,327. You have to essentially gamble on someone underpricing a gem, or gamble on catching one of the manipulators selling a gem for 100 gold. Most of the time you will end up buying the gem at a loss.

If game didn't allow you to buy back your own gems, then this might fix the issue. A manipulator would be guaranteed to give away his 100g gem at a huge loss, and overall the prices presented via the AH UI would more or less accurately portray the current cost of the gem.

As it stands, the experience of trying to ply the gem trade on the AH is extremely disappointing.
Reply Quote
So you're saying someone selling gems is selling them for 6,457. Yet the person buying them is buying them for 13,327? Makes perfect sense!
Reply Quote
Then stop trying to ply the gem trade and move onto something you do enjoy.
Reply Quote
No, the price for this gem should probably hover around 13K or so, which sucks but maybe thats what people would pay.

The way buying a gem works is that the game tells you to pay 13,327. If it happens to find a cheaper gem on auction it will give you that gem and a refund of the difference.

So Joe Schmo puts his gem up for 6,457 because the Diablo 3 client tells him that is the price, and the market manipulator buys it for that value instead of the ~13K it should have netted Joe.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 02:22 PMPosted by ChemistCarl
Then stop trying to ply the gem trade and move onto something you do enjoy.

Well clearly :P

It would be nicer if they would fix the AH though.
Reply Quote
Still not making much sense. I don't sell gems for whatever price the dumb thing puts in there for me anyway, usually up it a bit. There are too many players buying and selling gems for the few people that might try to buy their own gems @ 100 to have all that much of an affect on it. And I imagine the gain someone would get from trying to do that, isn't very much well worth the trouble.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 02:13 PMPosted by FuriousPony
buy

for profit

i found your problem. generally people buy things expecting to lose money and gain something else, such as a practical use for that item.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 02:32 PMPosted by Xane
Still not making much sense. I don't sell gems for whatever price the dumb thing puts in there for me anyway, usually up it a bit. There are too many players buying and selling gems for the few people that might try to buy their own gems @ 100 to have all that much of an affect on it. And I imagine the gain someone would get from trying to do that, isn't very much well worth the trouble.

The prices that the client recommends to sellers is based on the average value of the last 10 transactions. So it's actually quite easy for someone to buy/sell their own gem a couple times and drive this value down.
Reply Quote
These players get tricked by the game mechanics into grossly underpricing their gems.

then don't go with the average listed price. . .

no one is making you sell your gems for that price.

you should always try to mark up your gems or mats. here i'll teach you how to mark up your stuff. first you put a gem up for WAY more than the suggested price. then you just keep bumping them down until they are selling at a pace and price to your liking.

be patient. there WILL be a gap in time where your goods will sell.

sounds to me like you're trying to sell them too fast.

but seriously, you can make more money ripping through dungeons then piddleeffing with the gems in the AH . . . GL
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 02:36 PMPosted by Keltest
buy

for profit

i found your problem. generally people buy things expecting to lose money and gain something else, such as a practical use for that item.

Profit is not practical? What's wrong with trying to buy a gem, combine it, and sell the higher value gem for a profit?

If the true market value made this impractical then I would not be complaining. However the manipulation of the AH values makes it hard to tell what the true market value is, and makes it very risky to attempt a purchase.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 02:50 PMPosted by BoPop
These players get tricked by the game mechanics into grossly underpricing their gems.

then don't go with the average listed price. . .

no one is making you sell your gems for that price.

you should always try to mark up your gems or mats. here i'll teach you how to mark up your stuff. first you put a gem up for WAY more than the suggested price. then you just keep bumping them down until they are selling at a pace and price to your liking.

be patient. there WILL be a gap in time where your goods will sell.

sounds to me like you're trying to sell them too fast.

but seriously, you can make more money ripping through dungeons then piddleeffing with the gems in the AH . . . GL

Nah, I'm not having trouble selling my gems at all. In fact I can sell Flawless Square Emeralds at an inflated price because of these people.

However lots of people DO get duped because of these mechanics.

If you put in a purchase order at ~13K you will usually get one of these three results:

Buy an overpriced gem at ~13K
Buy a gem at about 8K that someone got tricked into selling low
Buy a gem 100 gold that someone was using to manipulate the market
Reply Quote
So, when you post an item for sale do you leave it at the vendor price??? Most people know to look at the going rate first

No I personally do not. But there are enough people who do.

People seem to be misunderstanding my issue. I am not having a problem selling my gems. The manipulation of the market makes it difficult to BUY them. And it leads to the diablo client telling people misleading information.

Want to spin your head on something though? What happens when you put a big block of gems, like 10000 for sale and then cancel? Buyers get their gems right away and you took back all your gems... hmmm.. so Blizz is a clearing house, that may buy future gems to replace the ones they had to give out...

It's hard to say what happens here without knowing more about how the AH operates. I suspect if you put up 10000 gems in one block, the AH will never sell any of them to anybody. If it did allow people to buy gems out of that lot and then cancel to get the entire batch back, that would be a terrible bug.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]