Diablo® III

Getting rid of blind?

So I have been reading around a tid bit and seeing some monks rolling without blind, currently I run SW build with combo strike passive and hundred fists. Has there been any success for better results with my current build by replacing blind for anything else? Getting to where I want to experiment a little more. Just need some helpful advice and solid results.
Reply Quote
View profile
Not until 1.0.7 hits. Then it'll be better to run BW if you aren't already.
Reply Quote
Personally I think BF rocks and is more beneficial than Serenity for pve farming. I guess it just depends on what you're running too. I do MP4 Act III mostly and rarely die (as in maybe once every couple of repeats). And usually that's because I'm distracted or being lazy by face tanking and not moving out of a stacked pool or something like several arcane turrets.

When I went S&B again and changed up my skills I basically decided that since I was using Serenity so rarely I would just drop it. It's been a few weeks and I have zero regrets. Now for pvp or maybe ubers or something it might be different but I'm talking about the content I'm doing regularly.
Reply Quote
People assume buffs won't effect SW when 1.7 hits live, because in the PTR they don't.

Nothing in the PTR is 100%. Things could change.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 06:33 PMPosted by gotaplanstan
Not until 1.0.7 hits. Then it'll be better to run BW if you aren't already.

I wouldn't be that hasty; it's not a no-brainer. For some monks, it's possible that 20% of your FitL bonus exceeds 15%, which is always true when your APS is at least 2.5. But it doesn't have to exceed it because FitL is multiplicative, while BW is additive.

If you use Overawe, you're probably going to stick with FitL. Why? Well, let's consider a 2.0 APS monk, which is relatively slow. FitL is up 20% of the time without BoY, so:
  • FitL: (1 + 0.2 x 0.3 x 2) x 1.48 = 1.6576
  • BW: 1 + 0.48 + 0.15 = 1.63

Same monk, only he doesn't normally use Overawe:
  • FitL: 1 + 0.2 x 0.3 x 2 = 1.12
  • BW: 1 + 0.15 = 1.15

Is the loss in DPS offset by the blinding? Probably. It's not as clear-cut as this reply suggests.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 06:51 PMPosted by Teckno
People assume buffs won't effect SW when 1.7 hits live, because in the PTR they don't.

Who the hell keeps saying this? I just freaking tested it. Fifteen minutes ago.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/25/2013 07:00 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
If you use Overawe

The only time I run it is when I'm the only monk and thats VERY rare these days. Its hard to only take that into account too.

So while yes OA is there, theres also usually GL, BW, FS, CS, and Transgression too.
Reply Quote
View profile
you're running my favourite build!

... once i'm done TR'ing (a few more p-lvl's - i can quit any time, i swear!) i'll be back into the combo strike TC & blazing fists. the mobility is simply amazing
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 07:05 PMPosted by gotaplanstan
If you use Overawe

The only time I run it is when I'm the only monk and thats VERY rare these days. Its hard to only take that into account too.

So while yes OA is there, theres also usually GL, BW, FS, CS, and Transgression too.

The more additive buffs you incorporate into your build, the worse BW becomes in comparison to FitL, provided that you're a DW monk or have a reasonable APS. (A monk with a 1.0 APS would have a very hard time getting more out of an effective 6% multiplicative buff than he would BW.) So, if you use a combination like Guiding Light, Foresight, Combination Strike, and Faith in the Light, your additive buffs are already at 50%. This essentially means you're using Overawe, so you probably shouldn't switch to Blazing Wrath. (For those who are already using BW to trigger GL, they can't switch; Transgression would be up in either event and wouldn't change the equation.)

The decision to switch depends on your monk, your gear, and your build. There's no "one size fits all" answer to this particular question.
Reply Quote
So out of all of this im not fully understanding where this is going, im talking about my current build, im not very familiar with the meaning of GL,BW,FS,CS lol. Im just curious if there is anything I can tweak to my build to get some better results. Im digging all the input though. Any ideas for me to try? Instead of confusing me with abbreviations?
Reply Quote
So an update, from what I got out of this I decided to swap overawe for transgression, also swapped out serenity for blazing, and BF for foresight, is this a good build? or is there better? Im seeing a constant 256k dps on paper. thats alot more than the 206k I was seeing in old build
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]