Diablo® III

What's the hardest fight you've ever won?

I was going through the Keep Depths 3 on MP6, timing my elite fights for another thread and having a relatively easy time of it, when I ran into a pack of Skull Cleavers with Fire Chains, Desecrator, Waller, and Health Link. "Hooray, a decent fight!" Well, I had no idea where I was in the dungeon, and I ended up breaking open a door with my vortex or a tornado. And it turned out to be the door that guards the "I've trapped a bunch of demons in the next room" pack, which was a group of Pain Mongers (the whistling-mace guys) with Mortar, Teleporter, and Knockback, led by an elite Demonic Tremor with Desecrator on top of that.

So:
  • Sub-48K DPS
  • Two packs
  • Double Desecrator
  • Waller
  • Fire Chains
  • Health Link (all three alive for the whole battle)
  • One-shot whistles everywhere

Beat 'em both in exactly four minutes. Went red a couple times, but I didn't die.

Reply Quote
My ex asked me if she looked fat in an outfit once. Took like 20 minutes and she just about hit enrage timer.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 07:51 PMPosted by Savage
My ex asked me if she looked fat in an outfit once. Took like 20 minutes and she just about hit enrage timer.

Too awesome.
Reply Quote
Well, other than the two enrage fights (Belial and Butcher) on MP5, the toughest fight I ever won was a little adventure in MP5, Act II. I told this story once in your What MP Level Do You Think I can Handle Thread, but it makes me feel tough and superior so I'll tell it again here. Like Vrkhyz, I play self found, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Booted up the game, took the Waypoint to Black Canyon, and headed left. Immediately picked up an elite fallen pack. I circled around the rock formation there, and what do you know, there's a yellow pack of overseers. Okay, I think to myself, I can handle this. Just move when the overseers jump, kite the two packs around for a bit, save serenity and SSS for when you're in trouble . . . this is totally doable. One of the two packs had plague, and the ground was getting awfully green, so I kited them east toward that building that's just to the right of the waypoint. Roll my eyes when I see another fallen pack and some wasps join the fray. I'm actually happy to have some white mobs running around . . . free spirit and LOH. So I start kiting the mob around the building, and . . . another champ pack of overseers. Sigh.

So anyway, kite, kite, kite. I die a couple of times when dashing strike gets caught on the building (not the dash into the phantom zone bug, just the one where a small piece of scenery stops you from getting where you're aiming). But things are going pretty smoothly, I'm whittling the three pack down at a decent rate, spirit is staying up, LOH is doing it's job, serenity and SSS are juggling nicely. And finally I kill a blue with exploding palm on it and the group is down to 3/4 its original size.

So I kite them around the building a few more times until I kill something else with exploding palm on it, wiping out the rest of the stragglers. Start picking up loot, and look down at my nephalem stacks.

*blink*

*blink* Turns out that group of fallen I picked up when I first moved over to the building was also a blue pack. So yeah, I just survived a MP5 4-pull with two deaths, both caused my dashing strike not playing nice.
Reply Quote
Inferno Belial less than a month after release, without a doubt. Think I had like 25k dps and something silly like 20k hp.
Reply Quote
"The Hero's New Clothes" Achievement - defeated Belial without any gear through out the fight.. in HELL mode

i was using enchantress and gearing her to ~8k dps/high HP without using AH..
Edited by Edmericanpie#6445 on 1/25/2013 9:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 07:44 PMPosted by Vrkhyz

--------> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593622018
Reply Quote
I think the first time I killed Diablo on Inferno, back during 1.0.3 We almost went broke from the repair costs dying so many times, then we finally did it.

Although back then there were countless tough battles since elites recovered HP after a short period of not being hit, and enraged. Had to just restart a bunch of times when we ran into two packs at once in Act 4.
Reply Quote
In the Crypts, last week I was carelessly chasing a champion pack of Burrowers (or whatever those little leapers in Act 1 are called). The little bastards were nasty enough on their own - Fire Chain, Arcane, Vortex and Illusionist. Should have known better than to follow them into unexplored corridor - there I also ran into some rare pack of Retching Cadavers. Those came with Horde, Molten, Waller and another Arcane.

Before I knew what was happening, I was vortexed in the middle of a molten pool, tightly swarmed by the zombies the Cadavers were barfing all over the place (and a horde of Cadavers can puke A LOT of zombies in a narrow corridor), couple of fire chains criss-crossing over me from those Burrowers leaping over my head, pink arcane bulbs popping up as far as the eye could see and both escape routes cut off by walls... Serenity just shortly delayed the inevitable - I couldn't run and the crowd was too tight and pressed against the walls, to kick them apart.

Died twice, before I was able to prevail, more than 10 minutes later. Every time I peeked from behind a corner, I would get walled in with a bunch of arcanes. It got a bit easier after I disposed of the Burrowers, then had to kite the huge mob of zombies away, as fighting them near the Cadavers wasn't safe with all those walls and arcanes. The Cadavers themselves took the longest - those things spit at you from a distance and are practically un-kiteable, had to chase them one by one, over their molten tracks, while still getting cut off with walls and showered with arcanes.

Never again! Next time same thing happens, I'm rage-exiting the game client.
Reply Quote
Best fight I didn't win involved wandering around the Dahlgur Oasis on MP6. I first went to the Bad Medicine Chieftain in the wooden wheel area. As I chased him all around, I triggered a pack of arcane Copperfangs (the snake guys). As I was now fighting a bunch of them, I ended up near a pool with Fallen Maniacs and another unique Fallen Shaman. As I started dragging HIS butt around, too, I picked up a Magewraith (the whirly death guys). As I kited around, I headed north, and before I could stop myself, I'd walked onto the bridge and triggered Silverback or whatever the name of THAT unique is. And then, in kiting back south, I finally picked up a RARE pack of Copperfang champs, which now had Desecrator, Waller, and Jailer going off around me.

Sadly, I didn't win that fight when all the enemies were together. After I died once, I managed to pick them off in chunks, as they'd become separated, and it wasn't nearly as cool.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Inferno Diablo 2 weeks after release on a wizzy with 35k dps. I have some YouTube videos. I pretty much quit after that because almost a week later I was up to 135k dps or so and then sold all of my gear for $500 when the RMAH came out. I just came back a few days ago and I'm having fun again, right now I have a monk with 110k base and TR.
Reply Quote
I'm Outlawed if anyone wanted to view my monk.
Reply Quote
toughest i fought was in arreat lvl 2. I cant even finish reading the affixes on the monsters. It was 3 packs.

Yellow succubi with horde, RD, electrified something else.
blue occult fat dude with molten fast vortex and something else. (think it was shield?)
blue spearman (i think, cant rmemeber correctly) with jailer knockback illusionist.

They were all standing in the same area, i swear i didnt kite into them. :P

One of the packs has arcane but seriously i didnt find out........

That was on mp4.
Edited by seansky#1859 on 1/25/2013 11:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
Best fight I didn't win involved wandering around the Dahlgur Oasis on MP6. I first went to the Bad Medicine Chieftain in the wooden wheel area. As I chased him all around, I triggered a pack of arcane Copperfangs (the snake guys). As I was now fighting a bunch of them, I ended up near a pool with Fallen Maniacs and another unique Fallen Shaman. As I started dragging HIS butt around, too, I picked up a Magewraith (the whirly death guys). As I kited around, I headed north, and before I could stop myself, I'd walked onto the bridge and triggered Silverback or whatever the name of THAT unique is. And then, in kiting back south, I finally picked up a RARE pack of Copperfang champs, which now had Desecrator, Waller, and Jailer going off around me.

Sadly, I didn't win that fight when all the enemies were together. After I died once, I managed to pick them off in chunks, as they'd become separated, and it wasn't nearly as cool.

And this is why when the going gets tough, the tough gets going back where he came from. I.e. - retreating to a previously cleared area, as opposed to running all over the map, like a headless chicken.

At least that's what I keep telling myself, after repeating the same mistake over and over again. (%
Reply Quote
MP5, while helping my bro in law get his hellfire plan in act 4. we had ran past the ghost that turns into Baal or mephisto or whatever it is and not far into the lvl we had aggro'd a champ pack and a yellow elite. while fighting those we bumped into the key warden, and the whole fight gravitated over to where the ghost is and ended up activating it too. we died a few times.

it was awhile ago and i honestly cannot remember all the affixes going off, but act 4 is a whole different ball game, as those buggers just have in-built affixes of their own anyways! dropping bloody meteors on your head and stuff

oh, and he DID drop the hellfire plan for him too! (i already had mine)
Edited by MrMojoRisin#6850 on 1/25/2013 11:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
Any phasebeast pack with molten and invulnerable + any 2 other affixes back in the old days.
Reply Quote
@Laurelynd: That's the general plan, but that Bad Medicine Chieftain runs too much. It was in following him and the other Fallen Shaman that I triggered nearly everything else :)
Reply Quote
Before the inferno nerfs, Act 2 Desolate Sands, was just looking for Vault of Assassins and all of a sudden Invulnerable minion imps came out of the ground like 10 of them or something and had the golem champ leader.

They had Fast-Molten-Mortar, at this time I was a two hand user with Deadly Reach and Dashing strike kiting mobs, this one caught me off guard and I was boxed in almost instantly, luckily DS paths out and I kept hitting it while serenity was up and it got me out and I was able to kite the around the pack and focus on the champion, using serenity and SSS when in trouble, good times.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 03:02 AMPosted by okComputer
invulnerable

Man, I wish they'd bring that back. Can you imagine running into a Fast + RD + Horde + Invulnerable Minions pack while stacking for mp10 ubers? Mmmmmm that sounds fun :3
Reply Quote
Before the inferno nerfs, Act 2 Desolate Sands, was just looking for Vault of Assassins and all of a sudden Invulnerable minion imps came out of the ground like 10 of them or something and had the golem champ leader.

They had Fast-Molten-Mortar, at this time I was a two hand user with Deadly Reach and Dashing strike kiting mobs, this one caught me off guard and I was boxed in almost instantly, luckily DS paths out and I kept hitting it while serenity was up and it got me out and I was able to kite the around the pack and focus on the champion, using serenity and SSS when in trouble, good times.

Ooh, I did this fight once. THE ENTIRE SCREEN WAS ON FIRE!!! Also, I died. In coming back, I managed to trigger the imps into coming out of the ground one or two at a time, and it wasn't nearly as tough. Or cool, of course.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]