Diablo® III

gear help?

have been with the wizard for a few weeks. im using archon to paragon level and my dps there is 117k which i think is good for farming. but when i use a critical mass build i have a dps of around 80k. i have an attack speed of 2. i wanna know by looking at my gear how i could get up my critical mass dps up? equipment. and dont say "upgrade gems" working on that.
Reply Quote
The problem with critical mass builds is that they need a LOT of stuff. They need high crit chance to get lots of critical hits to proc critical mass and APoC. They need lots of attack speed to get lots of hits to have a chance to crit on. They need around 20+ APoC to fuel the spells that you will be spamming. They need plenty of life on hit to go with that attackspeed and help keep your wiz alive. Because they are effectively melee range, they need lots of armor and all resist to help tank thinks like plagued pools, arcane sentry beams, etc. that you would normally sidestep. And they need a good pool of hitpoints to go with that mitigation, because they do have to tank a lot.

PieHole's guide gives some good threshold scores for all of the above for low, medium, and high monster power. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200301791

Anyway, recommend you get a chants set with ias and +.23aps or higher on the wand for starters. That should get you close to the 2.5aps threshold, with a nice bonus to int and elite dmg reduction for the set. A stormcrow with AR will get you to 20APoC, give you some LoH, and help with mitigation. Blackthorn pants will give you even more LoH and set you up for a big bonus with a Blackthorn amulet. CC would be nice, but the ias, loh, life%, and 100 vit set bonus are worth getting one even if you can't afford CC. After that, try to get another ring with ias and CC (I might have one I could give you for free) or, if you want to get fancy, pick up a Natalya's boots and ring for a big boost to armor, all res, crit, and attack speed.

edit: if you go bottom-dollar on everything and take your time on the ah hunting for bargains, you could probably get the entire list above (even the nats gear) for less than 10 million. But your dps will still not be that great - quite possibly less than it currently is. The important thing is that the build will work much better for you and you will have less issues with staying alive while running it.

edit edit: NM the ring. I thought I had an ias/cc one in my freebies stash, but they're all ias/chd or cc/chd.
Edited by ATGOWTWT#1159 on 1/26/2013 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
Sooooo helpfull man! very thanks!

The problem with critical mass builds is that they need a LOT of stuff. They need high crit chance to get lots of critical hits to proc critical mass and APoC. They need lots of attack speed to get lots of hits to have a chance to crit on. They need around 20+ APoC to fuel the spells that you will be spamming. They need plenty of life on hit to go with that attackspeed and help keep your wiz alive. Because they are effectively melee range, they need lots of armor and all resist to help tank thinks like plagued pools, arcane sentry beams, etc. that you would normally sidestep. And they need a good pool of hitpoints to go with that mitigation, because they do have to tank a lot.

PieHole's guide gives some good threshold scores for all of the above for low, medium, and high monster power. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200301791

Anyway, recommend you get a chants set with ias and +.23aps or higher on the wand for starters. That should get you close to the 2.5aps threshold, with a nice bonus to int and elite dmg reduction for the set. A stormcrow with AR will get you to 20APoC, give you some LoH, and help with mitigation. Blackthorn pants will give you even more LoH and set you up for a big bonus with a Blackthorn amulet. CC would be nice, but the ias, loh, life%, and 100 vit set bonus are worth getting one even if you can't afford CC. After that, try to get another ring with ias and CC (I might have one I could give you for free) or, if you want to get fancy, pick up a Natalya's boots and ring for a big boost to armor, all res, crit, and attack speed.

edit: if you go bottom-dollar on everything and take your time on the ah hunting for bargains, you could probably get the entire list above (even the nats gear) for less than 10 million. But your dps will still not be that great - quite possibly less than it currently is. The important thing is that the build will work much better for you and you will have less issues with staying alive while running it.

edit edit: NM the ring. I thought I had an ias/cc one in my freebies stash, but they're all ias/chd or cc/chd.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]