Diablo® III

HA-EA build still viable?

Not talking about a fast leveling strafe build, but a build that can consistently do full act clears nicely.

Is HA-ES still viable? or is there a better build? I tend to find Ball lightning a bit slow sometimes, and multishot is really bad at killing higher MP 6+ elites.

Ignore my placeholder bow, it is supposed to be a decent OS calamity.

Edit - Ended up with a 2 socket Manticore instead of a calamity LOL
Edited by Shade#6905 on 1/28/2013 1:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
i knwo stupid question but why a placeholder bow?
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 02:53 AMPosted by YellowStyle
i knwo stupid question but why a placeholder bow?

Waiting for that AH to process my sales so I can get myself one, just converted my monk gear to DH in the last 48 hours.

Somehow my largest sale got stuck in AH, item gone but it still says "processing", this bow was leftover from ages ago.
Reply Quote
when doing higher MP you definitely need a big hatred spending like cluster bombs or echo blast (depending on your gear/etc). I use hungering arrow + EB myself because I have 25% bonus to spike traps for higher MP

for MP0-2 I use multishot+ ball lightning, no hatred gen

o/
Reply Quote
Check out my current build. I blow up a3 with ease. BL/FoKs for trash and spike trap for elites.
Reply Quote
HA EA is still viable for higher MP's, I was doing it for a very long time. I think that face tank builds and faster weapons actually make it EASIER to do higher MP's, but HA EA is still absolutely a viable build.

HA/EA isn't quite a Face tanking build, but I imagine it could still work just fine especially with Ball Lightning since it actually CAN hit mobs behind you giving you a nice "nest". I just don't know if it would do enough damage to keep up gloom and have enough hatred regen/life steal procs compared to other specs.

If you're KITING with a Calamity, it'd be insane, but doable. There would be a lot of vaulting involved, but I suppose you could do it. When I was doing HA/EA I was using a 2 socket Manti and keeping everything at arms length.
Reply Quote
I'm using it with a Windforce, even with my crappy sub-200K DPS gear I can do MP5 key runs with no deaths on my alt DH.
Reply Quote
I think HA/EA is not a good combination as a whole for higher MPs.

the term "Higher MPs" is subjective and relative to the player. For some Higher MPs = mp4+ and for some Higher MPs = mp7+

HA is always a good skill wither you are using Cinder Arrow or Spray of Teeth.

EA:BL is one I just don't see when you are in a "challenging" MP level. with EA:BL doing damage of 155% weapon damage that most likely just isn't going to be enough and it is "slow" You run the risk the mobs will run through it (taking damage) and collapse on you.

Personally I prefer AOE damage such as SpikedTrap:Echoing and Bola:Thunder used in conjunction with MFD:GrimReaper. That MFD does awesome AOE and even running solo MP7 I can just melt packs down so quickly as there is so much extra damage going from the main target to the other targets from Bola and Spiked coupled with the 12% damage spread amongst those enemies in the 20yrd radius of the main target.

BL just can't compete with this. BL works great on the lower MPs IMO but I also found it too slow to use for faster xp farming.

@HellMonkey .... where is your RapidFire???????? :)
Reply Quote
Seems that bola shot/EB is the way to go in higher MPs, but i never used bola shot before, and i always overshoot as I struggle to take the 1 sec delay into account, seems that I need more adapting.

Another question, since I am taking Custom Engineering, would MFD or sentry better? I find 3 sentries much better, since I can cover a larger area and it is better in high MP prolonged fights as I have time to lay down all 3. Or would Grim Reaper still be the best, how does it interact with MFD from Calamity, wouldnt it waste 1 skill slot?
Reply Quote
@Shade

MFD Skill Stacks with MFD On the Calamity. So you get 24% extra damage vs the 12% just from calamity.

History for me on this.

I started using MFD:GrimReaper awhile ago simply because I wanted to help out the "TEAM" I would do MP10 ubers with. To give everyone some extra damage to the main target and found as well as damage to the targets around it from an AOE Perspective. I found this was so good I started using it solo and absolutely love it.

From a custom engineering standpoint. I feel if you are needing 3 sentries out there that means you are taking quite a long time (if you are solo) to knock down a specific type of mob pack. To have enough time to lay down 3 sentries means you are taking quite some time to burn down that pack. I have found, based on my experience of using sentries with my DH Tank build 3 sentries are great if you have high HP/resists and low dps where you plop sentries down and know it is going to take awhile to burn down a pack. Sentries also are great to use against melee packs of elites (PhaseBeasts, Lashers, those dogs, skeletons, etc). However sentries sometimes are not as beneficial for those packs that move around a lot like occult, succubus, wasps, shamen, etc. often times they run away and you have to chase 'em down. Then you are more wasting sentries and being forced to wait for cooldown to set up another where you have chased them down to. So in some situations sentries are great and in others they aren't quite as effective depending on how the targets act.

as far as bola..... you will get used to it. takes a little to get used to as it doesn't have a homing effect like HA has where it will redirect to the target. It packs a great punch and you will be happy with it once you are used to it. I didn't like it at first as it seemed you had to be so "exact" when shooting. The reality is I was a little more of a sloppy player with HA and as long as I shot in the "vacinity" it would hit the target with AH. Using BOLA and SPIKED you will find you become a very good shot. Spiked you have to place and often good to place the spiked at the target's feet which in turn will make the bola 100% accurate. :)

play with it an hour or 2 and you will see you will do much better at melting enemies at the mid-to-higher MPs using bola over hungering.
Reply Quote
@Shade

MFD Skill Stacks with MFD On the Calamity. So you get 24% extra damage vs the 12% just from calamity.

History for me on this.

I started using MFD:GrimReaper awhile ago simply because I wanted to help out the "TEAM" I would do MP10 ubers with. To give everyone some extra damage to the main target and found as well as damage to the targets around it from an AOE Perspective. I found this was so good I started using it solo and absolutely love it.

From a custom engineering standpoint. I feel if you are needing 3 sentries out there that means you are taking quite a long time (if you are solo) to knock down a specific type of mob pack. To have enough time to lay down 3 sentries means you are taking quite some time to burn down that pack. I have found, based on my experience of using sentries with my DH Tank build 3 sentries are great if you have high HP/resists and low dps where you plop sentries down and know it is going to take awhile to burn down a pack. Sentries also are great to use against melee packs of elites (PhaseBeasts, Lashers, those dogs, skeletons, etc). However sentries sometimes are not as beneficial for those packs that move around a lot like occult, succubus, wasps, shamen, etc. often times they run away and you have to chase 'em down. Then you are more wasting sentries and being forced to wait for cooldown to set up another where you have chased them down to. So in some situations sentries are great and in others they aren't quite as effective depending on how the targets act.

as far as bola..... you will get used to it. takes a little to get used to as it doesn't have a homing effect like HA has where it will redirect to the target. It packs a great punch and you will be happy with it once you are used to it. I didn't like it at first as it seemed you had to be so "exact" when shooting. The reality is I was a little more of a sloppy player with HA and as long as I shot in the "vacinity" it would hit the target with AH. Using BOLA and SPIKED you will find you become a very good shot. Spiked you have to place and often good to place the spiked at the target's feet which in turn will make the bola 100% accurate. :)

play with it an hour or 2 and you will see you will do much better at melting enemies at the mid-to-higher MPs using bola over hungering.

Thx alot, this post really helped me, I have been playing for the last couple hours testing it across various acts since I read this and the build was great.

I still have some issues regarding the timing of Bola Shot, traps, and MFD, but I suppose that will come in time, certainly MUCH more effective in terms of DPS compared to HA EA I used previously.
Reply Quote
Glad to help. There are so many options available to us from a build perspective and there isn't any "1 right" build. Some is just personal preference and gameplay style. I'm glad what I have proposed or posted is helping you out some :)
Reply Quote
I use this build for MP4.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aidVgQ!bZX!cabcYa

Most elite packs in Act2 VotA die in 5-10 seconds. Ones in A3 take a couple seconds longer. I'ts less good if you don't have the EHP to facetank though.

The nice thing about having both echoing and ball lightning is that echoing sucks against mobs that spread out. In those cases you can just use ball lightning usually to hit the entire pack at once.

MP3 and lower I wouldn't add the spike trap.

MP6 and higher I'd probably do bola/echoing and skip out on HA/EA completely.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]