Diablo® III

Monk LF gear criticisms

Hey everyone, this monk's my first HC toon and, at the outset, I wanted to shy away from stacking crit % and crit dmg in spite of that being the most reliable way to get above 100k dps.

Stacking ias and dex has been working out well so far (almost 50k dps self-buffed) but I doubt I could get much higher than 65-70k without sacrificing ehp, and even then, there's definitely a cap.

Just wanted to post up a thread to gain some insight as to whether you can build a 100k+ dps monk with crit % and crit dmg% without gimping your ehp too much. Thx in advance to whoever posts up :)
Reply Quote
I'd imagine once I buy a new echoing fury I'll break 100k dps and then some. Also even just two new crit gems might get me there. Yes its possible. I'm currently in my mp0 anti dc setup.

Edit: Do what feels comfortable to you. I'm insane and duel wield in mp5 elite farming / ubers. But yes it is possible.

My mp5 gear has 808 all resist unbuffed with 41% crit and 96k unbuffed dps. My total health is somewhere around 52k.
Edited by FuzzyBunnies#1271 on 1/28/2013 10:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
I get the impression you already know the answer about the path to higher dps
01/28/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Apocc
I wanted to shy away from stacking crit % and crit dmg in spite of that being the most reliable way to get above 100k dps.

Stacking ias and dex has been working out well so far (almost 50k dps self-buffed) but I doubt I could get much higher than 65-70k without sacrificing ehp, and even then, there's definitely a cap.

I like your build a lot. One concern would be the life sustain. ~600 life/s, and lpss (with a ton of spirit regen). Curious, have you done uber runs on higher MP with that? I really like NDE as a safety net. A3MP0 is a breeze for me, but you still get the random situation where a series of misclicks totally allows 3 maniacs to completely kill you (had NDE proc here and was super happy it was on even though this is rare) or something like that, maybe arcane beam spawning under you while frozen or jailed (especially since you do not have serenity to break CC).

As for AIS/Dex vs CC/CD. Gearing a 100k dps monk while maintaining eHP is extremely difficult/expensive regardless. I am on the CC/CD dps path, and I have hit a wall at 50k DPS (Hellfire is in, but my main ring is CC/CD) because upgrades are extremely costly if I do not want to lose eHP. I still have ~30M budget and it's hard finding good value upgrades that I am happy with all around (don't want to spend more than 10M on a single piece right now since I have 3 chars).
Reply Quote
Well, from looking at both your profiles, it seems like it becomes increasingly tough to strike a good balance of ehp stats and dps stats as you push past 50-60k dps with cc/cd stats.

As for my build, it's been the most gear friendly one I've tried as wave of light gives you mass aoe dps for clearing whole rooms of white mobs and its knockback helps you with the tougher elites if need be. You do need a spirit regen weapon and helm though but I highly recommend it.

In any event, I've got about 650 to all resists with around 800 to physical and close to 7k armor with 61k hp in my mp0 farming setup. If you guys know of any monks that can keep similar dmg mitigation while having 60-80k dps self-buffed, I'd really be interested to look at their gearing choices.
Edited by Apocc#1437 on 1/28/2013 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
My monk is? I just go fast pace. MP 5 is as high as i can go though before i get hit way too hard. Ive seen monks with your build hit 100k dps but they were really geared. So you can but its gonna cost..
Edited by Salem#1248 on 1/28/2013 11:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
If u want to get 100k dps without losing ehp, except to shell out a lot of gold :)

Thr are some monks who do 100k+ dps and have 2m ehp (according to diabloprogress), but its extremely tough to get gear like tht for 2 reasons:
1) gear like tht does not drop often in hc
2) if it drops, u'll likely have to spend atleast 100m for it (usually much more than this)

In case you are not aware of diabloprogress - its like the unofficial ladder for d3
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hardcore/us/rating.stat_heroscore/class.monk

Tht link lists the monks with top heroscore (a score based on a combination of both dps and ehp), with some monks having wat u asked for - ~100k dps and high ehp.
Reply Quote
Your response made me laugh after our in game demo :)
Reply Quote
You can have a look at my build. I'm at ~1.2m EHP (before dodge/block) and ~87k unbuffed. Some of my pieces are quite expensive. I would break 100k if I could find a nice socket shenlong, or similar item. I also have plans on upgrading my mempo and inna's pants at some point (trade the 178 armor to a ~ 50 light resist, change pants to ~250+ stat pants). I technically, also, have plenty of room for improvement on other pieces.

If you look up heroscore on diabloprogress then you will find a lot of monks that have achieved what you want to do.
Reply Quote
Going OWE-less. Ballsy. I like it. The fact that you have Phys Resist, too. And tat you have enough that you could always throw OWE on if you needed it. Gear-wise, I'm liking what I see.

I'd question the skill set up, though. I'm seeing a lot of Monks using passives for extra spirit. When you're generating 15 spirit per second from punching things, is an extra 3 spirit per second really worth two passives?

I just feel like there's more you can do. More defensive, you can obviously replace one of them with any of 3 or 4 different passives. If you wanted to go offensive and kill things faster, I'd replace Blinding Flash with DR:Foresight and one of your passives with Combo Strike, and in stead of a sometimes 30% bonus you have an always 34% bonus, and your bells hit much harder. You're also probably almost at the 65K buffed DPS you mention without having to spend any gold.

Even Fleet-Footed lets you kill things faster while providing you more defensive mobility.

Just wanted to post up a thread to gain some insight as to whether you can build a 100k+ dps monk with crit % and crit dmg% without gimping your ehp too much. Thx in advance to whoever posts up :)

If you've got the money and time, anything is possible. I mean in SC, there are Monks with over 1.5M EHP, with over 170K DPS along with both LoH and LS. And yes, that's without OWE

I wouldn't focus too much on that DPS number on your screen ,though. The real question you need should be asking is "How effective am I?". First you define what you mean by effective, the you work towards that. For example, if you want to be spamming bells like crazy, then you probably want more CC so you can use an attack that generates spirit faster such as FoT:Quickening. Attack speed also doesn't directly affect the damage your bells do the way that CC and CD do.

If you're really concerned about maximizing your effective DPS, then just go with a Sweeping Winds build. No one has really found anything too much more effective than that, even at minimal +CC%. If you want to maximize you XP/hr, there are TR farming builds that do that, or the standard SW build if you don't like buying that much specialized gear.

If you have some other goal, for example, you really care about maximizing that DPS number on your screen while having no CC, then go for it. You can get to 100K DPS without sacrificing EHP. It will just take much more time, effort, and money than it would without such a restriction. Just make sure that doing it with such a restriction is your actual goal.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 1/28/2013 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
Im at 96k dps and 1.6m ehp when i put my other ring instead of my hellfire :).I can get over 100k easy like bought a fist of azz with soc 1200+ dps but i didnt feel tanky enough so i put my old wep back on and i need better shield lol.
Edited by Bloodthirst#6488 on 1/28/2013 1:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Is it standard for monks to not have LoH or life leech?
Reply Quote
@vieszy no not really its highly recommended to have loh and with higher dps ls is good
Edited by Bloodthirst#6488 on 1/28/2013 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Bloodthirst
Im at 96k dps and 1.6m ehp when i put my other ring instead of my hellfire :).I can get over 100k easy like bought a fist of azz with soc 1200+ dps but i didnt feel tanky enough so i put my old wep back on and i need better shield lol.

Technically ~86k dps, 950k EHP unbuffed. Just saying!
Reply Quote
Is tht your stats chill?
Reply Quote
No. Yours, according to d3up. (Me pointing that out had nothing to do with e-peenes! [sadface]...... Mhmm... totally unrelated!)

To be fair, we have pretty much the same stats when you are not wearing xp gear :p
Reply Quote
Ahh k i just go off diabloprogress ive heard that diabloprogress inflates ehp with block. My xp gear is wat i have on atm (stopped using leorics cause max mf).
Reply Quote
I think diablo progress has my base dps around 105k. i have 63k life 740ish resist all 450ish loh and 2.5% leech. This is duel wield tho. when I put a shield on and switch gear around a little i can self buff around 100k and have much higher ehp I think.
Reply Quote
K wow I didn't expect this many replies. Lots of profiles to check to figure out what I need to go for. Admittedly, I still haven't tried foresight instead of blind and combo strike instead of one of the spirit regen passives so I guess I need to have a few diff trial runs first.

Thx again for all the replies everyone and feel free to add me ingame if you want to do some runs together :)
Reply Quote
first up hands up for any monk willing to try a new build to get through inferno diablo kill.

aside from that, maybe invest in a mad stone with lpss. You can get Armour rolls in other slots. I have one stashed (deadly reach) if your interested.

checking your gear you seem wealthy enough to upgrade your gems... why not do so.

amulet > ehp amulets without dps modifiers (cc, IAS, CD, dmg) arnt too expensive why not get one with resistance/Armour or massive sustain.

also im pretty sure you'll get more damage out of one cast of sweeping wind dmg > keeping a buff up. have you considered testing this.
Edited by ForceDomainz#1860 on 1/28/2013 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
first up hands up for any monk willing to try a new build to get through inferno diablo kill.

aside from that, maybe invest in a mad stone with lpss. You can get Armour rolls in other slots. I have one stashed (deadly reach) if your interested.

checking your gear you seem wealthy enough to upgrade your gems... why not do so.

amulet > ehp amulets without dps modifiers (cc, IAS, CD, dmg) arnt too expensive why not get one with resistance/Armour or massive sustain.

also im pretty sure you'll get more damage out of one cast of sweeping wind dmg > keeping a buff up. have you considered testing this.

Well, around when i hit 40k dps, wave of light started one shotting white mobs so sweeping wind just didnt seem like itd have much time to get ticks in. So instead of grabbing it, I went with blind with faith in the light so as to be able to set up a huge wave of light burst for 3 seconds whenever i need it. Overawe+blind+wave of light spam can clean a pack if theyre all bunched up.

Personally, I've done fists of thunder spam with sweeping wind cyclone enough on my sc monk to realize that, although the single target dmg is insane, theres no real huge burst and the aoe itself is neatly contained and not as far-reaching.

Anyways, the build I'm using is surpisingly efficient and is built around massive mobility with 7 or so spirit regen/sec, you can dashing strike spam and get around the map faster than any other class.

But its only drawback seems to be its reliance on having a spirit regen wep and helm and so obviously can't go the cc/cd route effectively. But, at similar character screen dps numbers, this setup is far more efficient than the standard sweeping wind setup. The only problem is getting that dps as high up without cc/cd.
Edited by Apocc#1437 on 1/28/2013 3:36 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]