Diablo® III

dungeon siege 3

have anyone noticed that there's something of ds3 in d3? in many aspects: skills, classes (archon, that actually is almost the same), the skeleton king (lol), the health orbs and on.. i re-evaluated ds3 (i'm playing it right now, after a bad first-impression with the demo version, when it was first released) and i really like it, certainly more than the 2nd chapter and, in many ways, more then the 1st. a very nice game.. only downside.. BAD itemization, SCRAP items.. not a loot-filled game. other than that, more than good!!
Reply Quote
I quit that game after like 45min; DS3 was another example of deviating too far from a successful formula to try something new and ending up with a big mess.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 12:29 PMPosted by IllIllllIllI
I quit that game after like 45min; DS3 was another example of deviating too far from a successful formula to try something new and ending up with a big mess.

i thought the same.. then, after all these years, i've taken it back.. and i'm really appreciating it!! give it a chance. neither of the two games deviated so much ; )
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 06:21 AMPosted by UrieleJH

i thought the same.. then, after all these years, i've taken it back.. and i'm really appreciating it!! give it a chance. neither of the two games deviated so much ; )

comparing DS3 to DS1, theyre nothing alike. while its not horrible, DS3 basically totally abandoned anything and everything that i liked about the other two games.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 12:23 PMPosted by UrieleJH
have anyone noticed that there's something of ds3 in d3? in many aspects: skills, classes (archon, that actually is almost the same), the skeleton king (lol), the health orbs and on.. i re-evaluated ds3 (i'm playing it right now, after a bad first-impression with the demo version, when it was first released) and i really like it, certainly more than the 2nd chapter and, in many ways, more then the 1st. a very nice game.. only downside.. BAD itemization, SCRAP items.. not a loot-filled game. other than that, more than good!!

when I first saw the thread title I was like "hmm is this to be a discussion of games that make D3 look good?"

i can't tell u how similar D3 is to DS3 cuz .. I only played about 10 minutes of the demo of the latter. quit in disgust.

ITT: the story of why D3 had no playable demo before release. :P

P.S. "treasure goblins" obviously stolen from DS2's loot thief idea.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 12:23 PMPosted by UrieleJH

I don't think the OP is saying the DS3 is like DS1 or 2, they're saying Dungeon Siege 3 is like Diablo 3...

Although, I have to agree, in the sense that it reminds me a lot of what happened with Shining Force.

The Shining Force games were known as great 16-bit strategy games, and the series was brought back on PS2 (in the form of Shining Force Neo and Shining Force EXA), it went from being a compelling strategy game to an animated and cartoony (cel-shaded to some extent, I believe, which isn't a bad thing) ARPG. From what I know, Neo and EXA didn't get very good reviews and aren't regarded too highly as games that are that great, but they're fun and just different.

Diablo 3, unfortunately, doesn't deviate ENOUGH from the standard to be judged differently. Most of the games in the universe of the Shining franchise as a whole work somewhat different. Diablo 3 is largely the same ARPG that D1 and D2 are, and being that they're so close in design, even 12 years apart from the last release, still makes it so that people are unable to separate it from previous installments.

That being said, I think previous installments in the Diablo franchise are often overestimated. In all areas? No. And is this to say that previous installments were bad? No, but in some areas, their flaws seem easier to overlook. Granted, maybe for some people, the fact that we no longer have to carry TP and ID scrolls, potions stack and we get loads more stash space at the start aren't good enough improvements to look past the lack of stat point allocation and skill trees...but more improvements to the design can come with time to make it a deeper experience, and still ensure that it's different from the last game.

Honestly, if they made Diablo 3 too much like Diablo 2, I'd still like it and still play it. Obviously. But I do like the fact that it's different, that it introduced a lot of new systems and are still building on it. Think about it this way...

A lot of people on this forum ask the question, "if this game was called anything else but Diablo, would you play it?" It's a loaded question, with the assumed answer being "no," thus the OP can infer that the game is bad, as without the reliable name attached, it would've ensured failure.

However, the way I look at it...the fact that it is a Diablo game ensures that Blizzard will work harder to improve it, even if it takes another year or two to put it in a place where it can compete other games 6-10 years from now. The D3 designers have said numerous times...they weren't looking to make a carbon copy of D2, they wanted to go in lots of different directions, and I agree with that philosophy whole-heartedly. Though, I do agree, the experience could afford at least a bit more depth, and slowly but surely, it's coming along nicely.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 06:38 AMPosted by CardinalMDM

I don't think the OP is saying the DS3 is like DS1 or 2, they're saying Dungeon Siege 3 is like Diablo 3...

Although, I have to agree, in the sense that it reminds me a lot of what happened with Shining Force.

The Shining Force games were known as great 16-bit strategy games, and the series was brought back on PS2 (in the form of Shining Force Neo and Shining Force EXA), it went from being a compelling strategy game to an animated and cartoony (cel-shaded to some extent, I believe, which isn't a bad thing) ARPG. From what I know, Neo and EXA didn't get very good reviews and aren't regarded too highly as games that are that great, but they're fun and just different.

Diablo 3, unfortunately, doesn't deviate ENOUGH from the standard to be judged differently. Most of the games in the universe of the Shining franchise as a whole work somewhat different. Diablo 3 is largely the same ARPG that D1 and D2 are, and being that they're so close in design, even 12 years apart from the last release, still makes it so that people are unable to separate it from previous installments.

That being said, I think previous installments in the Diablo franchise are often overestimated. In all areas? No. And is this to say that previous installments were bad? No, but in some areas, their flaws seem easier to overlook. Granted, maybe for some people, the fact that we no longer have to carry TP and ID scrolls, potions stack and we get loads more stash space at the start aren't good enough improvements to look past the lack of stat point allocation and skill trees...but more improvements to the design can come with time to make it a deeper experience, and still ensure that it's different from the last game.

Honestly, if they made Diablo 3 too much like Diablo 2, I'd still like it and still play it. Obviously. But I do like the fact that it's different, that it introduced a lot of new systems and are still building on it. Think about it this way...

A lot of people on this forum ask the question, "if this game was called anything else but Diablo, would you play it?" It's a loaded question, with the assumed answer being "no," thus the OP can infer that the game is bad, as without the reliable name attached, it would've ensured failure.

However, the way I look at it...the fact that it is a Diablo game ensures that Blizzard will work harder to improve it, even if it takes another year or two to put it in a place where it can compete other games 6-10 years from now. The D3 designers have said numerous times...they weren't looking to make a carbon copy of D2, they wanted to go in lots of different directions, and I agree with that philosophy whole-heartedly. Though, I do agree, the experience could afford at least a bit more depth, and slowly but surely, it's coming along nicely.

i agree almost in tot apart for:

-sorry i don't really like the (imho crap) skill/stat points
-never said d3 is bad

the thread was created only to discuss a bit about similarities between D3 and DS3 : )
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 06:28 AMPosted by STG

when I first saw the thread title I was like "hmm is this to be a discussion of games that make D3 look good?"

i can't tell u how similar D3 is to DS3 cuz .. I only played about 10 minutes of the demo of the latter. quit in disgust.

ITT: the story of why D3 had no playable demo before release. :P

P.S. "treasure goblins" obviously stolen from DS2's loot thief idea.

i did the same: playing only a few min. then, only now i like it! (speaking of DS3)

ITT: the story of why D3 had no playable demo before release. :P <-- ???
Reply Quote
Treasure theif has been around since the existent of rpgs. Treasure Theif big break was in Golden Axe....i'm guessing we got a lot of young people here. Nothing in Diablo 3 strikes me as original, many ideas have been seen in other games, movies, lore, etc. whether you know it or not.

In fact Blizzard games have been ripping on ideas for a long time. Warcraft = Tolken/Warmhammer etc.... Star Craft = an amalgamation of sci fi stuff like Starship Troopers, Predator, and Aliens. Diablo = basic demon lore, with Army of Darkness, and Legend inspired elements.

lol your post wasn't needed. you really like to troll, young one ; )
Reply Quote
I pretty liked combat mechanics there.. Battles with bosses were really entertaining especially that one in that burning church..

Too bad that game had one of the worst itemizations i've seen in my life..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]