Diablo® III

[GUIDE] Sleet Storm Gameplay + Build

I'm back with another guide! If you missed my last guide for a Spirit Barrage Witch doctor, you can find it here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708811445

This build uses Ice Armor's freezing mechanics to facilitate channeling Sleet Storm and tanking without Critical Mass. You can opt for pure damage with Jagged Ice or push the higher MP levels with the triple freeze combo of Ice Reflect, Blizzard with Frozen Solid and Frost Nova with Shatter.

This marks the completion of the first round of guides! I'll be focusing on Path of Exile introductory content for the next week in addition to my normal guide a week, but after that I'll be striving for 2 guides a week now that I have a format down. Feedback and/or criticism is welcomed and appreciated as always :D

-----GAMEPLAY PREVIEW
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qR-uq3SlaM

-----SLEET STORM BUILD GUIDE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogO3IMG6Wrc

Build Calculator - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZlgjSf!ZXW!YcZaZb

Gear Set - http://d3up.com/b/1002

You can find my channel at www.youtube.com/ProzaicMuze
Edited by ProzaicMuze#1158 on 2/4/2013 2:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've been getting these a lot from the other places I've posted this, so I'll drop some commonly raised points here as well for anyone who reads this:

1) My sheet DPS is low because most of my damage is "hidden" by large % Weapon Damage and non-sheet damage boosts like +30% Cold Skill Damage

2) You can remove Frenzy by dying and don't lose NV stacks when you return to the same exact party you left from

3) Ice Armor with Jagged Ice or Ice Reflect do NOT heal you with LoH, only LS.
Edited by ProzaicMuze#1158 on 2/4/2013 2:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just posted the guide for a Thunderstrike Barbarian:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7811252094
Reply Quote
looks mad fun and used it before, but I don't think it's gonna be effective for act III, specifically alk run because there are just way too many run away ranged elites.
Reply Quote
also, how are u not losing AP in the video?u only get 10 APOC from SC, but u don't seem to lose AP at all, I was AP starved all the time with just storm crow, and I am running at almost 200k dps lol.
Reply Quote
Is this the gear you were using when you tried it?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CKbrah-1954/hero/1841981

For me, it's all about a slow two-hander. This reduces the AP/s you use allowing Astral Presence and minimal crit/APoC to sustain you. I focus on raw damage that can affect Blizzard and Ice Armor rather than attack speed that does nothing for either. If you're really hurting for AP you can change Sparkflint to Arcanot (+2 AP/s) or dump Familiar for Diamond Skin with Prism (-7 Ability cost for duration).
Reply Quote
I tried this build with a LS skorn, dps about 160k.
at low mp game is not bad. Life steal works quite well.

However, at mp 10, I can't survive.
Reply Quote
Is there a specific thing hurting you on MP10 or are you just lacking the EHP for it? Also, did you try triple freeze to mitigate some of the damage?
Reply Quote
good call on the slow 2hander, I didn know a fast 1hander consumed so much AP.

will give this another try.
Reply Quote
bought a bunch of gear to further test things out, and I gotta say I am thoroughly impressed.

I clear mp8 faster than I do with CM gear

the damage output of this build truely surprised me.

my setup is a little different from OP, I focus on crit and crit damage, and use as little ias as possible, I find this way max out my damage way more than just stacking EHP and intellect.

this puts me at around 135k dps with frostburn, cold blood, and I melt mp5 mobs pretty damn fast, and any melee is a joke except heavy elemental damage runaway elites (molten, plague, firechain, arcane sentry) like spearmen, occulists, and firebirds.

only issue with this build is the bug where when multiple mobs hit u, u flinch, and lose control, and casting blizzard and teleport is a hassell, since they have a short duration, and ias is so slow.
Reply Quote
bought a bunch of gear to further test things out, and I gotta say I am thoroughly impressed.

I clear mp8 faster than I do with CM gear

the damage output of this build truely surprised me.

my setup is a little different from OP, I focus on crit and crit damage, and use as little ias as possible, I find this way max out my damage way more than just stacking EHP and intellect.

this puts me at around 135k dps with frostburn, cold blood, and I melt mp5 mobs pretty damn fast, and any melee is a joke except heavy elemental damage runaway elites (molten, plague, firechain, arcane sentry) like spearmen, occulists, and firebirds.

only issue with this build is the bug where when multiple mobs hit u, u flinch, and lose control, and casting blizzard and teleport is a hassell, since they have a short duration, and ias is so slow.

Yeah, I honestly wish that Sleet Storm was changed to do something like -X% Ranged damage because, oh I dunno, you're surrounded by a tornado of ice!? Or even better, dodge chance vs ranged or anything that addresses that glaring weakness.

One thing you can try is dropping Sparkflint for something to deal with ranged. Slow Time helps you stay still, but Teleport could help you chase (and deal with CC) while Hydra (Frost/Lightning), Arcane Torrent (Disruption/Cascade) or Disintegrate (Chaos Nexus) would let you attack them directly.

It definitely sucks that you can be so easily interrupted, though. Knockback, in general, is a bit much. Ignoring Sleet Storm for the moment, how are you s'posed to melee something that constantly pushes you back?
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 06:53 PMPosted by CKbrah
also, how are u not losing AP in the video?u only get 10 APOC from SC, but u don't seem to lose AP at all, I was AP starved all the time with just storm crow, and I am running at almost 200k dps lol.

Curaintly there is a bug that do's not let Blizzard proc APoC. But 1.0.7 that is fixed.

So you will probly have fewer problems with this after patch.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]