Diablo® III

How to fix the boring loot and increase build diversity

I guess by now most people agree that D3 loot is very mundane and boring. All one is looking for in loots are just all res, crit chance, crit damage, att spd, main stats, LOH, life steal, movement spd, 1 socket in helm and weapon, 3 in torso armor and 2 in pants, all other affixes are litterally rubbish. This makes usable loot diversity very limited and good rolls are very rare. Also the legendary items now looks extremely boring.

The idea to fix this is simply to add more kinds of affixes as alternatives and buff existing not useful ones. Some examples:

-Currently certain items gives a slight buff to one of your skills by 5-10%, since just by adding 10% damage to a primary skill of some socketless, crit less legendary weapon is just useless. Then how about we add 100%? Now what would you think of a 800dps no socket, no crit legendary 1h weapon but adds 100% damage bonus to a random primary skill? This may also open up alternatives to some of the now overly used primary skills like FOT for monks and HA for DH (Blizzard did go in the right direction for making the Three Hundredth Spear but they just didn't go far enough). This buff can also be applied to class specific rare weapons but with it's affect diminish to 25% if the weapon rolls a socket or crit and nothing if the weapon rolled both a socket and crit.

-The above can also apply to rings and amulets so why don't we do the same thing? Buff a primary/secondary skill by 50% instead of rolling AS, crit chance or crit damage?

-How about having say a legendary glove which adds 100% bonus damage to a secondary skill but can't roll AS, crit and crit damage?

-If you think the above is not enough then whatabout armours that can boost a class of skills by 30% effectiveness? Say the device skills of DH, so we could build a DH around using evasive fire, fan of knifes, spike traps and sentry instead of the old hungering arrow and elemental arrow. Or a ring/amulet which instead of rolling just the normal affixes can actually buff 5 random skills by 20% effectiveness?

-Or give affixes that increase the effectiveness of certain runes, this would make many not very useful runes worth looking at.

-Change reflect damage to be based on enemy health or the damage they do instead of what we have now which literally does no damage to attackers. Of course to not make this OP and abusable the effect of reflect damage should be reduced on elites and bosses.

Now what about adding some debuffing affixes? Say:

-A legendary torso armour that adds 3000 life regen but -1000 LOH and -3% life steal (of course LOH and life steal bottom capped at 0)? Now people may start stacking life regen instead of looking for weapons, rings and amulets that give LOH and life steal.

-A torso armour that adds +2000 armour +150 all res but gives -10% attack speed and -5% crit chance?

-We can extend this idea to all items whereby they can generate certain affixes beyond their current cap but when it is beyond the cap a debuff affix will be generated to counter this.

-Well use your imagination, giving large bonuses to one affix well debuffing another will certainly generate much more builds and usable items.

Also class specific items (especially the helms) are currently almost indistinguishable to normal ones as the only difference is that they get a small chance to roll a class specific bonus. I think if we make them able to permanently give class specific bonuses then people may start using them more, the skill bonus will also encourage more build diversity.
Edited by BigGreyWolf#2271 on 3/7/2013 9:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
they will probably wait for a fix till the expansion. If they even do some at all.
Reply Quote
Any addition of properties to the game that are intended to increase attractiveness of underused affixes or skills need to be done in a way that doesn't add them to the pool of randomly generated affixes on dropped and crafted items.

Best bet is to bring back the mystic and allow her to add unique properties that boost underutilized skills/ affixes to gear on top of already existing affixes. A lot of the properties you list are interesting and would likely help diversity as the developers have expressed interest in doing, but should not be allowed to roll in the general pool of affixes, as they further reduce the chance of getting the most ideal affix combinations.
Reply Quote
I really miss amazing procs from D2 loot. Currently almost all procs are quite lame, specially considering they have internal cooldowns and stuff like that. Bleed effects are incredibly weak atm, and i think they should be based on a percentage of your damage, and not set values. I recently got some really funny weapon which had something like "chance to bleed the enemy for 215-230 over 5 seconds", which is pretty silly.

Some truly amazing and memorable proc items were dracul's grasp, fleshripper, delirium runeword or lacerator. Those procs actually brought items to life and weren't obsessively controlled for the sake of balance, as everything is nowadays, and that's precisely what made them fun.

Another interesting property D2 loot had that i'd love to see back is the growth of stats per character level (skullder's ire, arkaine's valor or duriel's shell, for instance). This could allow some low level items gain some value, and even provide more value to paragon leveling by allowing the item to improve as you level.

It would be cool to see some sort of defensive stats on mobs as well, with specific affixes to counter them. For instance, certain mobs could have a huge amount of armor, countered by piercing, elemental resistances, countered by the current elemental damage, as well as % to elemental damage (like frostburns), shield value, countered by bashing. These three could be directly related to existing mainstats in order to increase their value and make those quivers with strength, or mojos with dexterity somewhat useful. For example:
Strength ---> bashing
Dexterity ----> piercing
intelligence -----> elemental damage enhancement.
This could be a better way to balance difficulty as well, by splitting the rather lazy HP scaling into different stats and reduce the absurd overpowering value of CHD.
Edited by Blashyrkh#1824 on 1/25/2013 5:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
the bleeding dmg is one of the most laughable affixes ever
Reply Quote
Any addition of properties to the game that are intended to increase attractiveness of underused affixes or skills need to be done in a way that doesn't add them to the pool of randomly generated affixes on dropped and crafted items.

Best bet is to bring back the mystic and allow her to add unique properties that boost underutilized skills/ affixes to gear on top of already existing affixes. A lot of the properties you list are interesting and would likely help diversity as the developers have expressed interest in doing, but should not be allowed to roll in the general pool of affixes, as they further reduce the chance of getting the most ideal affix combinations.

Most of the affixes and ideas I suggested are actually for legendary weapons so no need to worry there. Currently there are very few usable legendary items so I'm suggesting adding some of the above affixes to those rarely used legendaries.

There are some affixes I suggested that could work for rares but that will require the implementation of diminishing returns eg.

-If a ring rolled +30% damage or more of a particular skill then it cannot roll any AS, crit or crit damage, if it rolled between +15% and +30% the it can roll only one of the other three affixes, if between 1% and 15% then it can roll max of two of them and if it didn't roll any skill boost affix then it can roll all three affixes together.

-
Currently certain items gives a slight buff to one of your skills by 5-10%, since just by adding 10% damage to a primary skill of some socketless, crit less legendary weapon is just useless. Then how about we add 100%? Now what would you think of a 800dps no socket, no crit legendary 1h weapon but adds 100% damage bonus to a random primary skills? This may also open up alternatives to some of the now overly used primary skills like FOT for monks and HA for DH (Blizzard did go in the right direction for making the Three Hundredth Spear but they just didn't go far enough). This buff can also be applied to class specific rare weapons but with it's affect diminish to 25% if the weapon rolls a socket or crit and nothing if the weapon rolled both a socket and crit.
Edited by BigGreyWolf#2271 on 1/28/2013 12:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
I hate to say it but the whole loot and skill system in D3 is far from ever being fixed. They would have to totally redo everything they have tried to fix to make it any better and we all know how much blizzard refuses to admit they were wrong. I had really hoped this game would succeed but after 8 months of waiting i have given up and moved on. Also the neph stacks was a terrible and unfun mechanic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]