Diablo® III

The Economy Will Crash - Duping Up Daily

I've had my eye on the AH hard for a few days now...

The rate of duping is increasing daily. The few people (or one) that is duping is using the gold they make from their original dupes to buy other better, more godly items and dupe them too. They could dump 100's of Echoing Fury's in the AH right now, but are smart and realize if they release too much at one time the economy will collapse immediately. By releasing items at a slow rate, they maximize their profit.

In the mean time, the economy will crash. Any items below the dupes will grow to be worthless. Farming will be a waste of time as duped godly items will be prevalent, and most people will have the same gear.

It's a runaway train guys. I'm sure Bliz is aware of it, but is currently unable to find the duping method right now to patch it. Bliz has a few weeks to a month to figure out the problem and stop it, but otherwise it's game over. D3 will turn into D2, where only godly items were traded.

I've heard people say, "It's no big deal, the duping isn't that prevalent, there are only a few duped items" No. You are wrong. The duping is infinite if the dupers wanted it to be. They are merely choosing to not flood the AH with them at one time to maximize their profit. It's economy 101.

It's sad, but true.
Edited by James1v12#1875 on 1/26/2013 9:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
Friend found 8 duped lvl 30 amulets on hardcore that were magics all had the same timer on hardcore, it's much more wide spread that ppl think indeed and will be a huge issue in only a few weeks time.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 09:23 AMPosted by MasterJay
Friend found 8 duped lvl 30 amulets on hardcore that were magics all had the same timer on hardcore, it's much more wide spread that ppl think indeed and will be a huge issue in only a few weeks time.

Yep. Whoever it is who found the way to do it can dupe as much as they choose, hardcore or softcore. As I am typing this, they have BILLIONS of gold, and could buy ANY item on the AH and start duping.

However, they are duping using two principles to max their profits.

1. Don't start duping the godliest of items. Dupe some really, really good items first (for example, 170 Dex 5 CC Mempo), make tons of money, then buy a better item ( 190 Dex 5.5 CC Mempo), and start duping that. Repeat.

2. As I mentioned above, limiting their release of dupes. They could release 100's of Fury's, Pox's, Nats, enough that everyone posting on this forum would have one by the end of the day. But they won't, because they aren't stupid and want to max their profit.
Edited by James1v12#1875 on 1/26/2013 9:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Tell them to dupe more Meteor APoC Chants please

Crit Meteor Mira's also, while they are at it.
Reply Quote
This can only be a good thing. Blizzard has had a stranglehold on the AH because it makes them money. By making good items plentiful, they'll decrease in price over time, and more players will have equilibrating access to better stuff.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 09:51 AMPosted by Infernii
This can only be a good thing. Blizzard has had a stranglehold on the AH because it makes them money. By making good items plentiful, they'll decrease in price over time, and more players will have equilibrating access to better stuff.

Delusional. Simply delusional.
Reply Quote
At this rate, the best game play and the best investment is to just hold onto my gold and watch prices tumble =p
Reply Quote

This in completely moronic.
Reply Quote
In a game that has real money involved, you would think that Bliz would have found a way to stop this from the get go...
Reply Quote
looks like more ppl have figured it out? Anyway all blizz has to do is purge all dupes. Blizz owns them u dont they can do anything they want with our items says so when u buy something and they did with ias.
Reply Quote
This is a good thing for all of us looking for those uber items to be available. Can somebody pls dupe more 9/9/9 300+ avg dmg chant force, 9/6/40+ nat reflection, etc. etc.? :)
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 11:11 AMPosted by Aimless
looks like more ppl have figured it out? Anyway all blizz has to do is purge all dupes. Blizz owns them u dont they can do anything they want with our items says so when u buy something and they did with ias.

Aimless once again hits the mark.

Unless the database designers are absolutely incompetent, dupes should be easy to recognise, whether they are on the AH or not. The only thing stopping them from simply deleting any obviously duplicated items is the effect it would have on anyone who bought those items legitimately. There was a decent enough backlash from the IAS nerf, imagine if hundreds of peoples high end gear suddenly disappeared.

One other factor may be that it's easier to track the duper while the item is still in the database, but i think again, the only reason they haven't just banned anyone who's duping is because they can't necessarily tell them apart from people who have bought those duplicated items legitimately.

The fact is, if they continue to be smart and release dupes slowly then the effect on the economy is going to be a simple increase in inflation. If they release massive amounts of dupes and attempt to crash the economy then they expose themselves and their accounts will be actioned.

In my opinion, continue to bring dupes to the attention of the developers and relax.

At the end of the day, the worst part about all of this is that someone else is making a lot more money than you. Not the end of the world.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway. Feel free to bite my head off for it.
Edited by Dragonfly#1941 on 1/26/2013 1:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
In my opinion, continue to bring dupes to the attention of the developers and relax

Very well said. Not much we can do, and I'm pretty sure they know about it. I just really hope they figure it out soon and it doesn't get out of control. I love D3, and want to continue to play for months down the road, but at this rate, it might not happen.
Reply Quote
Not just good/very good items are getting duped as well.

Lowly gold find jewellery is also being duped.

I saw the same item, same stats, same price posted 18 times @ once.

All under priced all gone withing 5mins of course.

Its getting ridiculous.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 09:23 AMPosted by MasterJay
Friend found 8 duped lvl 30 amulets on hardcore that were magics all had the same timer on hardcore

lol, those are amulets from the vendor.
Reply Quote

Aimless once again hits the mark.

Unless the database designers are absolutely incompetent, dupes should be easy to recognise, whether they are on the AH or not. The only thing stopping them from simply deleting any obviously duplicated items is the effect it would have on anyone who bought those items legitimately. There was a decent enough backlash from the IAS nerf, imagine if hundreds of peoples high end gear suddenly disappeared.

One other factor may be that it's easier to track the duper while the item is still in the database, but i think again, the only reason they haven't just banned anyone who's duping is because they can't necessarily tell them apart from people who have bought those duplicated items legitimately.

The fact is, if they continue to be smart and release dupes slowly then the effect on the economy is going to be a simple increase in inflation. If they release massive amounts of dupes and attempt to crash the economy then they expose themselves and their accounts will be actioned.

In my opinion, continue to bring dupes to the attention of the developers and relax.

At the end of the day, the worst part about all of this is that someone else is making a lot more money than you. Not the end of the world.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway. Feel free to bite my head off for it.

It's trival to find items i bet. they are all in one database. meh but like u said unsuspecting folks who paid $250 for an item would just leave. Tough issue for blizz to be sure. They should have nipped this issue in the bud b4 it became an issue.

1. rollback items are all BoA
2. b4 u auction items makes a database server call and if a dupe exists - can't be sold and immediately tags it BoA.
3. gems, craft items and such would be only problem, managable. Even so they can all have unique IDs.

Then blizz wouldnt be scratching thier heads trying to patch unknown duping methods and economy would be stable.

I blame blizz for all this. I don't really care about ppl making more money than I - thats life - but I'd still like to be able to sell mediocre and maybe even semi GG items i work hard for.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 1/26/2013 2:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Andy's and Vile Ward used to be commonly duped, around the same time as the gems.
Reply Quote
2. b4 u auction items makes a database server call and if a dupe exists - can't be sold and immediately tags it BoA.

Spot on. Might suck for a couple of people who had a legitimate rollback or legitimately bought a dupe and then realised they couldn't sell their old gear to help them upgrade, but maybe that's worth it. Not really sure how they'd deal with stackable commodities, but if Marquise gems can be BoA then at least non-stackable commodities such as gems and crafting plans could be dealt with in the same way.

01/26/2013 01:49 PMPosted by Aimless
I don't really care about ppl making more money than I - thats life - but I'd still like to be able to sell mediocre and maybe even semi GG items i work hard for.

Couldn't agree more.
Edited by Dragonfly#1941 on 1/26/2013 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Also agree 100%. Bliz needed to get on top of this. I think they still can, but in another week or two, no way. Spot on commentary and ideas.

Great contributions on this topic guys.
Edited by James1v12#1875 on 1/26/2013 2:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
3. gems, craft items and such would be only problem, managable. Even so they can all have unique IDs.

Awesome ideas. I really scratch my head sometimes at Bliz. Do they not have enuf employees to manage something that is so important to the longevity (and there for profit) of Diablo 3?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]