Diablo® III

A few questions about my barb leveling...

Im still pretty new to D3. Ive finished my first run through on normal, which was zero challenge. I just got to Act 2 on Nightmare, and Im still cruising through with little trouble, but I have a question or two about what I should be doing as far as followers and gemming.

Right now, I put the most powerful strength gems i can in my weapons, and then put mostly +Vit gems in everything else until i feel like I have enough health and then throw more STR gems in. Is that the best way to do it?

Also, I have played around with all 3 followers, and found the Enchantress' CC spells to be the most helpful. What stats should I be equipping her with when it comes to her gear? I have figured out I dont get her vitality bonuses, but do I get her +XP bonus? I assume I do, but Im not positive.

As far as my weapons, is there anything I should look for while dual wielding? Should I have a faster main hand or off hand? Specific stats besides the obvious STR, VIT, +XP while leveling?
Reply Quote
For gemming on weapons, Rubies are the best for a damage increase while leveling up. At level 60, this changes to Emeralds for the Crit damage. A topaz in the helm for Magic Find or an Amethyst in the helm for Health at level 60 depending on which you prefer, and a Ruby in the helm for experience while leveling to 60, or for leveling Paragon at 100. Socket rubies if you are content with HP (magic number was around 40k when I was playing more a few months ago) or Amethyst if you want more health.

The Enchantress or Templar is the merc. of choice for me. I use Enchantress for the attack speed buff and CC and the Templar for Magic Find. Scoundrell is a damage buff as well, but I prefer the Enchantress for my build.

Gear them for survivability since you lose their buffs if they are dead and you will get more damage out of them if they are alive and giving you a buff than if they were dead. You also get a percentage of their magic find and experience percent bonuses if they are alive, so building them tanky is the best way to go in my opinion.

It's been too long since I've looked at other specs, but the Whirlwind spec that I use focuses on a high damage Mighty Weapon for the fury on hit Weapons Master passive in the main hand with a stat stick in the off hand. The off-hand damage doesn't do anything to tornado damage, so you look for a fast off-hand, like a sword or dagger, with high useful stats; crit damage, life on hit, life steal, socket, crit damage, strength, vitality. The speed of the main-hand isn't that important. Just find one with high damage. A 2-hander with life steal would probably be effective while leveling up.
Reply Quote
Thanks man. I appreciate the help!
Reply Quote
Some of the advice above is somewhat flawed.

01/27/2013 06:10 AMPosted by AyGee
A topaz in the helm for Magic Find or an Amethyst in the helm for Health at level 60 depending on which you prefer, and a Ruby in the helm for experience while leveling to 60, or for leveling Paragon at 100

IMO a topaz is just a waste of time, 20% MF isn't going to do much for you as all drops are random. The big thing to remember is when you hit lvl 60 is to enable monster power so drop % across all acts are the same. Ruby is the best in the helm for low mp's as you get exp bonus which applies to your Paragon leveling. Amethysts will probably be the best once the new patch hits as the exp bonus from playing higher mp's will skyrocket, pretty much making the ruby in the helm somewhat pointless.

Enchantress is good for the attack speed she gives you, she can also be outfitted to freeze stuff (see my enchantress gear for a general idea). Templar gives great fury generation, I don't use him much if at all. Scoundrel give a nice CC buff, and he can freeze stuff for you as well (see my scoundrel gear for an idea, but his is more expensive then the enchantress')

Other than those specific buffs they are pretty pointless. You only lose those buffs when they are dead, you don't lose the mf/gf you have stacked on them (you get 20% of the total % on the gear they have on) so if you don't care about the freezing you can give enchantress a Grand Vizer for the gf/mf or a Sun Keeper for the MF.

01/27/2013 06:10 AMPosted by AyGee
It's been too long since I've looked at other specs, but the Whirlwind spec that I use focuses on a high damage Mighty Weapon for the fury on hit Weapons Master passive

You don't need a mighty weapon for the fury generation. Axe/Mace is WAY better for the 10% CC buff you get. With enough CC (around 35-40) from your gear, and the 10% CC from weapons master, you have plenty of CC to generate fury for the WW/sprint build.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]