Diablo® III

"Ask the Devs" round 1: Barbs unite!

Please vote for my questions. Thanks in advance

US:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398?page=6#118 <- elemental vs physical weapon damage differences
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398?page=7#128 <- legendary drop chance
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398?page=7#133 <- rend "on hit" and "on crit" procs

EU:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6444685753?page=1#12 <- legendary drop chance
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6444685753?page=1#17 <- elemental vs physical weapon damage differences
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6444685753?page=2#22 <- rend "on hit" and "on crit procs"
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6444685753?page=2#27 <- juggernaut

Creating this topic because I´m intrigued by the chance we players will be given to ask about the game and its design. Here´s the blue post:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398

The basic rules are:
- one question per post
- on topic (patch 1.0.7), about the game and its design
- no project/expansions/release dates questions
- up to three sentences for question and background/why

The main reason for this topic´s existence is that I believe if the Barb community agreed beforehand on a small number of questions and later supported them, there would be a higher chance to have them answered.

I´ll be honest and say that I´m a researcher and would really love some mechanics to be answered, so this is also my way of asking for support (votes) incase I manage to post a question. I probably won´t be allowed to post more than one question (not sure about their policy)...so once we decide what questions are the best, I´d say we split them up between a few members and post them separately.

1. I´d like you to propose questions that follow the rules and write reasons why you think they should be answered.

2. Even if you don´t have any questions, try to state your opinion on other posted questions. Ideally write your favourite one or make a ranking of your favourite top3 or top5.

3. I love to discuss Barb game mechanics. I´ve already begun researching game mechanics of other classes as I leveled them, but my main is Barb and I´ve spent by far the most time playing it.

So as a bonus, even if you don´t care about the whole "ask the devs" option, I´m giving you the oportunity to ask me game mechanic questions about Barb skills. Depending on what you ask, I might be able to find new stuff to research in the near future. Also, if there´s stuff I´ve already researched, it would be somewhat of a waste to ask the devs about it.

Anyway, here´s mine:
In 1.0.7, if a gear drop from a monster is rolled, what will be the base nominal chance (without magic find) of the drop to be legendary and are there different base nominal chances for different monsters?

Background/reasoning: It´s about time the players start getting a bit more in-depth data about the game, so that we understand what actually happens incase you changed the value in the future like "we doubled it" in a previous patch.

Note for voters - the game checks first if an item is legendary, then 6 affix rare, 5 affix rare etc. and knowing the answer to this question would allow us to make drop rate estimates and more accurate farming efficiency decisions.

Are all elemental damage weapons (except cold because of its snare) originally designed (intended) by the developers to be inferior to physical (black) damage weapons damage-wise and why?

Background: This is currently by far the biggest gearing issue in the game for many players, as:
1. The known issue with +minimum and +maximum damage affix being calculated wrongly by the game results in even higher physical damage on weapons compared to elemental ones.
2. Physical damage on weapons including socketed Rubies benefits from the "+x% damage" affix and elemental damage does not.
3. The "adds x% to elemental damage" affix (magic property) is calculated based on physical (black) damage and ignores elemental damage, further increasing the damage gap between physical and elemental weapons

Note for voters - this is the current order of weapon damage calculation:
base weapon damage -> +minimum/+maximum damage on weapons including rubies -> "+x% damage" -> +min/max damage on jewelry and off hands -> "adds x% to elemental damage" -> "+elemental damage".

Why does Rend regenerate health from Life on Hit only on the initial tick and never triggers the fury generating on crit effect of Into the Fray despite having a proc coefficient higher than 0.000?

Reasoning: Rend doesn´t triggger on crit effects. It procs on hit effects only on the initial tick. The Wizard skill Blizzard which is a damage over time skill similar to Rend is being fixed in 1.0.7, what about Rend (and other DoT skills)?

•Bug Fixes •Blizzard Critical Hits now correctly have a chance to proc Arcane Power on Crit

Short version: Are skills with 0.000 proc coefficients intended to never trigger the life gain effect of Juggernaut or do you plan to revise and change the mechanics of this skill in 1.0.7?

Long version: Assuming the 15% max life gain chance from the Barbarian passive Juggernaut depends on the proc coefficient of skills that cast (trigger) the Stun, Fear, Immobilize or Charm CC effect, was it indended by the developers that skills with a 0.000 proc coefficient would never trigger the 15% max life gain or are you planning to revise the Juggernaut skill mechanics now that dueling gets added in 1.0.7?

For clarity, I´m talking specifically about the following CC skills with a 0.000 proc coefficient:
Barbarian: Threatening Shout - Terrify (Fear)
Demon Hunter: Caltrops - Torturous Ground (Immobilize) and Vault - Rattling Roll (Stun)
Witch Doctor: Horrify - all runes (Fear) and Mass Confusion - all runes (Charm, Mass Hysteria also Stun)
Monk: Blinding Flash - Blinded and Confused (Charm), Breath of Heaven - Penitent Flame (Fear) and Mantra of Retribution - Indignation (Stun).

Why is the No Escape passive 10% damage bonus a separate multiplicative bonus unlike all the other Barbarian skill damage bonuses which are added up and why doesn´t Dread Bomb get the 10% damage boost from No Escape?

I guess I have a problem formulating a question and reasoning within 3 sentences, oh well...

Have fun and be creative.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 1/29/2013 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Mine kinda spins off of your #2 question, but I've heard that elemental SoJ's don't give you a damage bonus to the same element. For example: My holy damage Sun Keeper won't get the 6% damage bonus from a Holy SoJ (from what I understand)

To me this just doesn't make any sense.

edit: but I'm down to vote for any and all questions we all agree upon and that are able to be posted.

Are you going to post your question on the eu forum or the us forum?
Edited by LordZeus#1756 on 1/26/2013 10:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
Great topic Nubtro.

I am by far most interested in 2. as it provides the greatest opportunity for enhancing the entire game experience. Elemental damage seems to be underdeveloped to say the least. How awesome would it be if every type of elemental damage had some cool effect like the snare from cold?

That being said, bliz already stated they are not fixing the black damage bug in 107 and it doesn't look like they have plans to change black or any other damage anytime soon.

By all means we need to ask them what the concept behind elemental damage is (if there is one at all). It is mostly useless on weapons; the only real use coming from cold snare from SOJ or Tal's ammy
Edited by Fury#1829 on 1/26/2013 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
To your question LordZeus.

You get additional holy damage from your holy SoJ, but the value is based on your Sun Keeper´s physical damage. If you read the note I posted in my second question, you´ll understand the order of calculations:

1. base weapon damage
2. +minimum/+maximum damage on weapons including rubies
3. "+x% damage"
4. +min/max damage on jewelry and off hands
5. "adds x% to elemental damage" <- your SoJ
6. "+elemental damage". <- holy damage on your Sun Keeper

Because of this order, the holy damage on your Sun Keeper plays no part in calculating the additional damage from SoJ. So basically the game calculates a % of physical damage and adds the number to weapon damage as the particular element. The only effect elemental weapons (except the cold snare) have in the current state of the game is visual. The game checks which element does the most damage and then you see its visual effects.

I´m from EU so to be sure I don´t get ignored for that kind of reason, I´ll post on EU and leave the other questions to US players to post. I´ll try to vote on both forums though.

@Fury: Yeah I know that they answered the black damage bug issue, that´s why I formulated my question to ask about their intentions with elemental damage weapons. If they answer "yep elemental are intended to be worse" then we have to suck it up.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 1/26/2013 10:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
Sure, I'll have a go, although i think my question may not necessarily pertain to the patch itself but barbarian game play in general.

There seems to be a bug with the Empowered Shrine specific to the skill timer extension mechanics of Wrath of the Berserker (Thrive on Chaos Rune). Will this be addressed in the upcoming 1.07 patch?

Background: The Empowered Shrine is essentially an active buff which doubles fury regeneration while cutting cooldown timers in half. Theoretically, under the buff, a barb should be spending fury almost twice as fast (because battle rage cool down is cut in half!) whilst regenerating massive amounts of fury to sustain the expenditure of resources. It should thus be a piece of cake to refresh the skill timer on WotB.

Of course, this doesn't happen in reality, prompting me to believe that this is an unintended bug where the extra resources generated from the shrine buff is not accounted towards the extension of the skill timer.

Why is this important?
So that I don't have to avoid Empowered Shrines like a damn plague @#$%!
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 12:17 PMPosted by Garthandal
Right click on the buff icon and it will stop it.

You can cancel the shrine buff? Have to test that
Reply Quote
View profile
You can cancel the shrine buff? Have to test that

Nope I just tried and cant debuff the shrine. Sucks cuz you can debuff your skill buffs this way.

Can accidently cancel WOTB, but not a shrine :D

Good topic OP!
Edited by RagingKoala#1984 on 1/26/2013 3:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 10:44 AMPosted by Nubtro
Because of this order, the holy damage on your Sun Keeper plays no part in calculating the additional damage from SoJ. So basically the game calculates a % of physical damage and adds the number to weapon damage as the particular element. The only effect elemental weapons (except the cold snare) have in the current state of the game is visual. The game checks which element does the most damage and then you see its visual effects.

I never knew the exact order of how damage is calculated, but to me this order of things just doesn't make sense. Not saying I don't believe you and the order you listed, but if I have a holy damage weapon, why doesn't holy damage buffs buff that holy damage?

I guess that would be my question, why was +% elemental damage only applied to physical damage and not to that same element.
Reply Quote
Please vote for my questions:

US:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398?page=6#118
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398?page=7#128
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398?page=7#133

EU:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6444685753?page=1#12
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6444685753?page=1#17
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6444685753?page=2#22
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6444685753?page=2#27

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
I like your questions but not sure they will get answered unless it relates specifically to 1.07 Lylirra was very specific about that request.

My questions are more global and curiosity-based questions...

1) Is there a behind the scenes tracking system in the PTR that indicates which class is winning the PvP war in terms of W-L? What were the results?

2) Dodge seems to be one of the strongest stats in PvP currently. Considering DHs and Monks inherently stack dex/dodge for primary stat requirements, are there any plans to change the effect of dexterity on other classes? i.e. Barbs stack like 500 dex in PvP only to get a measily 20% dodge. It is impossible to keep up with monks and dhs when sometimes upwards of 60% of your attacks are dodged.

I have tons of other questions but none that specifically relate to the new patch.
Edited by Prisus#1338 on 1/29/2013 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
voted for all. good luck
Reply Quote
View profile

Background: The Empowered Shrine is essentially an active buff which doubles fury regeneration while cutting cooldown timers in half. Theoretically, under the buff, a barb should be spending fury almost twice as fast (because battle rage cool down is cut in half!) whilst regenerating massive amounts of fury to sustain the expenditure of resources. It should thus be a piece of cake to refresh the skill timer on WotB.

Of course, this doesn't happen in reality, prompting me to believe that this is an unintended bug where the extra resources generated from the shrine buff is not accounted towards the extension of the skill timer.

Why is this important?

I actually did a little bit of testing on this because I had the same problem. The issue is the extra fury generated by empowered shrine doesn't count towards Thrive on Chaos. For example, if you start at 0 fury and with the shrine buff and WOTB up (about half elapsed) and just bash a few times to get full fury, you will only get about 3 more seconds of duration on your WOTB, even though you should get 6. When you're gaining huge amounts of rage and trying to spam it down to keep WOTB up, there are times when you are hardly gaining any duration even while SPAMMING sprint and BR. Also, the CD of BR isn't affected by shrine because it really doesn't have a CD, it just can't be spammed any faster. So even when you use 40 rage from sprint/BR, then gain 40 rage back before the next press of both, you will only get maybe 1 second of duration back. It's a frustrating bug.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]