My other threads I'd like to update:
Economics and gold sinks:
Password security suggestions:
There are so many threads like this, so thank you for anyone that reads it:)
Background: I heavily participated in making dozens of posts in beta. I run an IT helpdesk and have 15 years of beta testing experience. I have written over 1000 technical articles and love testing games (although you will find I hate grammar)!
1. I'd like to see less of a reliance on zombie bears (the other runes in that skill tree are useless) which in itself makes other builds less useful which goes away from the dev motto of "thousands of builds". Other skills are still not used and their rune variants. They still need a heavy make over for this class. Use statistical data or use the plethora of feedback to identify those abilities. I could write forever on this topic... there are too many already so I know the devs know which is great. I have seen my feedback and others in beta come to life in the game so I know they listen.
2. An idea for balance + mp for 1.08 to bring in line pvp would be to buff hps. some folks have said this since go live. leave healing where it is at this time (or remove the inferno nerf, hidden deductions do not make sense to casual players and hinder gameplay. For instance my wife refuses to play since they implemented death penalties which were ruthless in inferno).
- increase the HP gain at a higher rate. the average player has 20-60k hp, some 100k. Instead shoot for 200k-600k.
- keep attack where it is at (instead of 1 hit shot its 2-6 with healing even more)
- keep monster health where it is at to balance the attack
- adjust mp levels a bit differently
mp3 should replace mp0 (which is too easy and not fun. most casual gamers dont even understand or know it exists from my personal experience of casual gamers (10+ in a row!))
- the monster hp should stay the same
- their difficulty should increase. so... in short mp3 should really be mp0 but only in their attack abilities. hp should scale at their current rate.
3. on that note... mp0 is a bit too weak and unclear to casual gamers. please build an in place prompt to explain it to gamers which they can later dismiss. or let them select it a bit more clearly each time they create or join a game. trust me, non-nerd gamers would appreciate this! when writing technical writing its always advised to write it in your audience's shoes or "for the dumbest person to follow it". Therefore simplify it. Same with implementing hidden features. It really is unnecessary to block skills at this point in the game from users being able to select what they want. Half the time the skills are so useless it is very limiting for a new player that doesnt realize they can unlock which skills they want to pick from in their skill bar. Again this is from WD where many runes are not being utilized at this time due to their lack of oomf.
4. Reward non-critical players. When did the game become Critical only? Yes it did increase dramatically after the IAS nerf but at the time players were just using IAS + crit anyway. There has to be something more than cookie cutter "you need to play this build with this gear set or you will never be as good as me".
The difference between the average player's gear and top player is insane: its highly critical rate based.
[b]Solution: give players critical resistant gear for pvp. Give players critical resistant skill buffs to less used runes like horrify. This will prepare for pvp. It would also help to create alternative passives that reward non-critical damage. Or modify less used skills to reward non-critical damage.
It can also help if "resistance against elites" included a % chance to negate critical damage. For instance 25% less damage from elites included both 25% damage reduction and 25% chance to dodge critical strikes.
Make gear against critical - make the block rate completely negate critical damage. 30% block = 30% critical absorption (still absorb non-critical damage and subtract shield block bonus).
5. I have read hundreds of great posts on ideas for skills/runes. I know they need love. We could use some new passives that oomf up less used skills. For instance bring back from beta the % damage bonuses to using frogs. Give us a reason not to use bears. If it was up to me I would remove critical % chance from skills because it is so ruthless and important. However that is just a huge nerf that would be horrible for the game. Lets get creative! Give us new alternatives to IAS and Critical damage.