Diablo® III

Q re underlying sprint-nado mechanic

I've been experimenting with different weapon combinations for the standard ww barb setup.

My normal setup is echoing fury in mainhand and 1.4 aps sword in offhand. I have damage numbers turned on and when I play this "normal" way and spin/sprint on top of elites I can see distinct yellow damage numbers. However, when I switch to sunkeeper (1.2 aps) in mainhand and echoing fury in offhand and then spin on elites, the sprint-nadoes are ticking so fast that I cannot discern any numbers, just a constant blur of yellow.

I've heard that the tornadoes spawned tick based on the offhand speed, so why do most people use EF in mainhand and sword/dagger in offhand? If it is in fact more ticks/dmg/LS proc if EF goes in the offhand (not to mention less fear proc, supposedly)?

I've read many threads about the ww mechanics but I don't recall seeing this and my observations somewhat go against the gear setups I see in other well geared barbs.

So my question I guess is: 1) why is EF so rarely used in offhand? and 2) Why are maces so rarely used, at all, or in mainhand? 3) And if I used a fast dagger in offhand would I see the same yellow damage tickrate I see with the EF in offhand?

(I know this post was a mess/stream of consciousness, please bear with me)
Reply Quote
I'm not sure I heard they spawn based off offhand stats/speed but that once spawned they "tick" damage based off that speed.

I'm no D3 scholar. Just trying to figure out if there's some underlying hidden secret synergy between slow mainhand and fast offhand.
Reply Quote
Bump for knowledge.
Reply Quote

I've heard that the tornadoes spawned tick based on the offhand speed, so why do most people use EF in mainhand and sword/dagger in offhand? If it is in fact more ticks/dmg/LS proc if EF goes in the offhand (not to mention less fear proc, supposedly)?

So my question I guess is: 1) why is EF so rarely used in offhand? and 2) Why are maces so rarely used, at all, or in mainhand? 3) And if I used a fast dagger in offhand would I see the same yellow damage tickrate I see with the EF in offhand?
(I know this post was a mess/stream of consciousness, please bear with me)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6037344497?page=1

1. Nope the tick frequency of Sprint RLTW (not WW which is different) is determined by the weapon swung with last before clicking Sprint. But, while you WW (which alternates weapons for damage) and in the middle of it click Sprint, the aps that was displayed before you click sprint gets used (it´s difficult to determine which weapon it actually is while WWing).

2. EF is a mace. It´s either mace or axe for the majority of players in MH. People use axes because they´re faster and they want to achieve higher breakpoints. Don´t know where you got your usage statistics from, so it´s difficult to answer assumptions.

3. Try this. Use the slowest mace you can find in MH and the fastest dagger you have in off hand. Now go and bash something, hit with the MH and then click sprint, run around monsters without WWing. Afterwards do the same thing, but swing with the dagger first before clicking sprint. Now you should get a higher tick frequency. Now switch the weapons and repeat the tests. You´ll see that the frequency is not based on OH only like you said.

4. Looking at your profile, you only have 17% attack speed increased on gear. +15% dual wielding bonus, +25% wotb.

MH: 1.44 EF * 1.57 = 2.2608 aps = 23 ticks
OH: (1.40 + 0.24) sword * 1.57 = 2.5748 aps = 26 ticks

MH: (1.20 +0.24) mace * 1.57 = 2.2608 aps = 23 ticks
OH: 1.44 EF * 1.57 = 2.2608 aps = 23 ticks

No idea what you´re talking about but there´s no way you had a higher tick frequency with the mace+EF combination than with your EF+sword combination.

EDIT: lol you almost got me there...the yellow you see is the holy damage visual effect on your Sun Keeper (fire explodes, lightning has those distinct shocks, poison something green etc.) it had nothing to do with tick frequency.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 1/27/2013 2:30 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]