Diablo® III

Best stats for pets

OK, so I have recently went back to my WD and I'm loving him. However, I'm a mite disappointed with my pets. They just don't seem to have that oomph that I'm looking for, and they don't seems to do the damage that my dps would suggest that they should be having. Maybe I'm missing something, or perhaps I kitted out my equipment wrong. But could somebody who knows what they're doing let me know what the most important stats are for building a good pet WD?

(Mine is currently viable on MP2, but its not overly fast.)

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

Sorry, here's a link to my profile:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/swanghard-1736/
Edited by swanghard#1736 on 1/27/2013 6:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
....maybe post a link to your profile?
Reply Quote
I'm no pro (and still in the process of imrpoving my own WD) but basing from what I've read and what I've tested so far, having high ALL RES, high ARMOR, and high HP helps a lot as your pets' res/armor/hp scale with your WD's. As of now, I have fairly high res ( i think) at 800, average armor at 3600, but low hp at 42.3k (it should be somewhere near yours or even higher). I make up for my low hp through lifesteal, loh, and regen/sec altho the only stat that pets benefit from among the three is regen/sec given that you have Fierce Loyalty as a passive.

Take note that all of these are for a TANK pet WD; able to take in a lot of damage but not really dish out great damage so basically, the damage will still be coming from your WD and not from your pets. They're just there to agre enemies while you throw stuff at them from a safe distance.

Hope I was able to help. Goodluck!
Reply Quote
Ahh! Another way to make your pets give out a little more damage is through thorns. I've seen WD's who plow through hordes of demons with thorns. take this guy for exampe: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Wachati-1647/hero/4057337

Altho on a side note... they only affect melee enemies and not range so, I'll leave it to you to experiment with that stuff. lol.
Reply Quote
LOH and Regen. Use FL and they will be very hard to kill.
Reply Quote
Use same passive skill like me (jungle fortitude/blood ritual/fierce loyalty) since your WD have 68k Hp that mean u will gain 680 life regen from blood ritual and fierce loyalty help pets get those regen too but too make your pets go stronger u need all resis, armor and alot of life regen too your HP already ok.
Reply Quote
For pet damage, the cool thing is that they actually benefit from attack speed, whereas many other WD skills do not because of the way mana works.

Pets always swing at the same speed, so if you add more attack speed, it makes each hit do more damage. That's why a lot of players stack +min damage, Intelligence and attack speed on their farming characters, causing their Humongoid to 1-shot trash mobs behind them.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 06:54 AMPosted by LuckyDog
LOH and Regen. Use FL and they will be very hard to kill.

Pets dont benefit from life on hit or life steal. Only regen and globes.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 08:47 AMPosted by Dikembe
For pet damage, the cool thing is that they actually benefit from attack speed,

hmm, are sure about that? i did some test (quite long ago now) where i used a 2 hander vs a 1hander/mojo with the same overall paper dps and Garg seemed to hit harder with the 2hander...havent fully tested it nor written down the dmg number tho so i may be wrong.

I'll try again tonite since im using 2 diff set up, the one im my prfile and i got a skorn in my stash and the overall dps a pretty much the same ( skorn give me 2kish more dps)
Reply Quote
The bottom line is dps from pets is negligable. Even at 177k dps my pets dont wreck their way through any low mp lvl. They are there to tank. Though Restless Giant Garg can deal some pretty crazy dps when enraged. Ive seen over 600 k crits when in bbv.

If you really wanted to make a pet doctor that deals most damage through pets as well as tanking you have to go the thorns route. I have never done it, but man I cant see it being viable in high mp lvls at all. I would also imagine that you would use fetish sychophant passive to generate more pets, which in return would provide more dps and tankability.

The problem with full pet spec when compared to a summoner such as a necro in d2 is the lack of curses and aura's. Partying with a barb running war cry and threatening shout could greatly help your pets in that regard.
Reply Quote
So as an overall consensus, the pets don't actually do much damage (Unless specced for thorns) but they tank pretty well and if I want to do well as a pet doctor I need to go that route? Is that about it?
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 04:09 PMPosted by swanghard
So as an overall consensus, the pets don't actually do much damage (Unless specced for thorns) but they tank pretty well and if I want to do well as a pet doctor I need to go that route? Is that about it?

I think you should look into what's called Zero Dogs. That's probly the pet dps your looking for.

And with that build I would Gargantuan with the Restless Giant rune. The enrage do's currently rest when resummoned.

Why they would put 120 sec cooldown on enrage on a 60 sec resummon I don't know but with the ZD build you will be able to resummon this guy every 30-45 sec's for 15 sec enrage's.

This is the most dps I know of that you can get out of WD pets.

The other stuff here about FL and life reg/Thorns is not the high dps your looking for from pets them selfs. It turns your pets into much better tanks and thorns is nice but it's more about geting and holding argo and there for making them much better tanks not so much about better pet dps.

Gar do's 100% of your dps and Restless giants enrage is the best dps when it's going off. In fact I look at that and then look at Wrathfull protector and wonder wtf they were thinking.

The dogs only do 9% of your dps per pet. The best way to get dps out of this guys is Sacrifice exploding them for 275% weapon dmg each dog.

So go look up a good ZD build and gear.
Edited by Umbra#1460 on 1/28/2013 4:48 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]